Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Florent Sinama Pongolle on the mark again for Recreativo last night. Scored the opener in the Bernabeu (left Cannavaro on his hole) as they beat Real Madrid 3-0.

anyone got a video clip for that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

he's really stepping up and showing he deserves a chance.

i know he said he wants to leave pool, but id say if rafa approached him and said he wasn't goin to get fked around anymore he might return.

id love to see him get a fair go anyway. maybe even consecutive games! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But do we need him! ;)

I'd have him back in a shot, Fowler is still useful and a kind of totom but he's only going to get slower.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Henry to Liverpool rumour.....took a while that.

rubbish of course.

mike65 wrote:
    But do we need him! ;)

I'd have him back in a shot, Fowler is still useful and a kind of totom but he's only going to get slower.

Mike.

looks like our wish may come true;
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=437144&CPID=23&clid=14&lid=&title=Sinama-Pongolle's+Reds+hope
    Florent Sinama-Pongolle claims Rafa Benitez has plans for him at Liverpool next season.

The French striker is spending the season on loan at Recreativo de Huelva and has impressed during his time in La Liga.

He scored against Real Madrid in midweek and has flourished since being allowed to play regular first-team football.

At Anfield, Sinama-Pongolle's chances were limited and he revealed earlier this month that he feared for his long-term future at the club.

But the France Under 21 international has now stated that Reds boss Benitez has a role for him at the end of his spell in Spain.

"Benitez wants me to come back at the end of the season," Sinama-Pongolle told RMC radio station.

Sinama-Pongolle joined Liverpool from Le Havre in 2002 and has scored nine goals in 63 appearances for the club.

Prior to joining Recreativo, he undertook a loan spell with Blackburn Rovers during the second half of last season.

looks a damn site more likely now then only a few weeks ago when he was saying that was it for his liverpool career. funny how a goal against Madrid changes everything!

• Advertisement

That link won't load (SKY Sports and Opera don't get on). I doubt Rafa will take him back and will hope that Flos form will bring offers from the bigger La Liga teams.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Dr. Nick wrote:
    Henry to Liverpool rumour.....took a while that.

rubbish of course.
    That actually could happen I remember henry doing an interview and he started saying Liverpool were great and especially Gerrard and how he would love to play with him and loads of other stuff.
    So thats my prediction for January
    Liverpool sign Thierry Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Heard that Henry to Liverpool rumour. Some of the lads on YNWA.tv were talking about it. I think what was said was something along the lines of if Henry were to leave for another premiership club it would be us. I can't see it happening. If he leaves Arsenal I reckon he'll go to Spain.

How long has he left on his contract? I thought he'd renewed in the summer?

As for the Sky story (now I can see it) its a hopeful sign.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Team: Reina, Finnan, Riise, Carragher, Agger, Gerrard, Alonso, Garcia, Pennant, Bellamy, Kuyt.
    Subs: Dudek, Hyypia, Gonzalez, Crouch, Aurelio.

Should be a comfortable win ..

• Advertisement

Thought Crouchy might start this one.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Fit-again Cisse back among goals

Djibril Cisse scored his first goal since suffering a horrific leg break to help Marseille seal a 2-1 win over St Etienne in France's Ligue 1.

The on-loan Liverpool striker, who returned to action two weeks ago after a six-month lay-off, slotted home from close range after nine minutes.

Just before the break Czech midfielder Marek Heinz pounced for the equaliser.

But Mickael Pagis's 63rd-minute shot clinched the win to keep Marseille in the hunt for a Champions League place.

Cisse, 25, who is on loan from Liverpool, broke his leg in France's last match before the World Cup.

The French international striker joined Marseille on a season-long loan in July, with an option to make the deal permanent.

Liverpool signed Cisse from Auxerre for a club record transfer fee of £14m in July 2004.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6206115.stm

Happy for him. Also if he starts banging them in, Marseille will hopefully take up that 8million pound option.

zing wrote:
    Team: Reina, Finnan, Riise, Carragher, Agger, Gerrard, Alonso, Garcia, Pennant, Bellamy, Kuyt.
    Subs: Dudek, Hyypia, Gonzalez, Crouch, Aurelio.

Should be a comfortable win ..

Well a win but certainly wasn't the most comfortable ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Try YouTube latter!

Mike.

Whats all this then? Have we been promised the world and likely to get Tasmania?

story
    DUBAI investors could sell Liverpool FC in seven years time, according to reports today.

A confidential document, reportedly seen by a national newspaper, is also said to reveal that Dubai International Capital are planning to borrow up to £300million to finance a £450million purchase of the club.

No-one was available for comment at Liverpool FC today.

DIC are said to see their investment in Liverpool as purely a business deal built round the new stadium Liverpool are planning at Stanley Park.

The article alleged they are hoping to make a huge profit, providing a return of around 25% on their investment for every year of ownership.

It also claimed DIC would not be the sole owners of Liverpool, unlike Chelsea or Manchester United.

This weeks stupid transfere story here

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Whats all this then? Have we been promised the world and likely to get Tasmania?

story

Has been rubished (partially at least) by DIC already:
    http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/12/27/manual_093740.html&TEAMHD=soccer
    Dubai International Capital, the investment company behind the proposed takeover of Liverpool, insist they have a long-term strategy in place for the club including significant funds for new players.

The company have responded to reports in today's Daily Telegraph that they plan to sell the club in 2014 having first made a huge profit from what the newspaper described as "purely a business deal".

A DIC source tonight sought to assure Liverpool fans that were the takeover to be concluded there would be "the best possible" financial support for boss Rafael Benitez.

They said: "What DIC is doing is planning to make sure that, if a deal is done, Liverpool has the best possible funding in place going forward under DIC stewardship.

"This is particularly important as we would need to get on with the stadium early in 2007 and it takes time to sort out the necessary financing.

"This is also important in terms of making sure cash is available for the ongoing strengthening of the playing squad.

"Should DIC acquire the club, Liverpool will be well run, both on and off the pitch, and we are currently laying the groundwork to ensure that will be the case."

But DIC officials have pointed out they are yet to successfully conclude their takeover of the club and that, as a result, talk of plans to sell it off for profit are premature.

The source added: "DIC has not yet formally made an offer, never mind completed a deal. Certainly there are no plans to exit an acquisition we have not even bought yet.

"It (DIC) is a very serious investor with considerable resources at its disposal and the ability to take a long-term view.

"Equally, we believe that we understand the responsibilities that come with owning Liverpool Football Club.

"DIC has made it clear that, should a deal be concluded, it would not interfere in the day-to-day running of the club."

I say partially rubbished because they are after all an investment house and an investment house will naturally seek a return on it's initial investment. I can't see how a football club which made a profit of 9.5m last year can suddenly jump to annual profits of 80m (25% on 64m [450 over 7 years]) - particularly if 300 of that 450 is supposedly to be borrowed.

DIC are no Abramovich but the comments from both them & Rick Parry are positive so I guess it's case of wait and see. Parry/Moores spent 3 years searching for what they consider to be a suitable investor/partner so I would imagine they've sought all the right kind of assurances along the way from any potential investors/partners.

Paletta potentially out on loan in La Liga side Gimnastic Taragona. Mite be a good move for all parties, as he's a bit rough around the edges and needs top level experiance. With Hypia probably in his last year as a regular starter we'll need Paletta to step up as a possible regular starter after Carra and Agger.

Link; http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=438095&CPID=23&clid=14&lid=&title=Nastic+target+Paletta
    Gimnastic de Tarragona are hoping to sign Liverpool defender Gabriel Paletta on loan.

Reports have claimed the Liga strugglers want to bring in Paletta to boost their survival hopes and ease a defensive crisis.

Recently-appointed coach Paco Flores is understood to have been in contact with Liverpool regarding a possible loan deal in January.

Paletta has yet to establish himself at Anfield since joining The Reds from Banfield over the summer.

The Argentine youngster has made just one substitute appearance in the Premiership and could be allowed to join Gimnastic for experience.

Gimnastic are also reportedly interested in signing Salif Diao on loan, with the midfielder currently enjoying a three-month stint at Stoke City.

Another left back joining - 17 year old Argentinian Emiliana Insua joins officially on Jan 1st. Know nothing about him other than that he's currently with Boca Juniors.

We're also supposedly chasing a 16 year old scot named James McCarthy. Supposed to be very talented and has already had a trial at Melwood. Utd & a few other also supposed to be after him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

More on the james mcCarthy signing

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=reds-chasing-teenage-star%26method=full%26objectid=18346548%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

LIVERPOOL are in battle with Manchester United to sign Scottish wonderkid James McCarthy.

The 16-year-old Hamilton Academicals midfielder spent a week on trial at Melwood last week.

Manager Rafa Benitez was so impressed with the teenager, he is now keen to conclude a deal as quickly as possible, but he's also aware of interest from a host of other top clubs preparing to swoop when the transfer window opens.

Because of his age, interested clubs may have to only pay compensation of around £100,000.

If he joined, McCarthy would be one of the youngest ever recruits into the Reds' senior ranks.

Liverpool have already opened talks with the player's club, who agreed to the trial period, but most now act swiftly to make the move permanent.

Sir Alex Ferguson is also targeting the youngster, and some reports in Scotland claim United are favourites to complete the transfer.

However, it's understood the Scot would prefer a switch to Anfield.

McCarthy has quickly emerged as one of the hottest properties north of the border. He made his first team debut for Hamilton earlier this season aged just 15, and immediately attracted the attentions of Premiership clubs.

An attacking, creative midfielder, McCarthy has also been offered trials by some of La Liga's top teams.

Deportivo La Coruna invited him to Spain, and it's believed both Barcelona and Valencia are also monitoring his progress.

Benitez has made no secret of his desire to recruit more teenage talent in the months to come, having already packed Gary Ablett's reserve side with youngsters.

Argentinian left back Emiliana Insua officially joins the club on January 1, and it's hoped McCarthy will be next in the ranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

zing wrote:
    Another left back joining - 17 year old Argentinian Emiliana Insua joins officially on Jan 1st. Know nothing about him other than that he's currently with Boca Juniors.
    he on the argies u-20(with paletta) that won the u-20 world cup. he's supposed to be very good and could be in the team sooner rather than later - depending on how long it takes him to settle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

They must of switched April fools day to january 1st. Rumours have been doing the rounds that a certain french player will sign for liverpool in january.

Its enough for betfred to put up a market for it.

http://www.betfred.com/betting/?gi=0&sltc=19390.1&sle=197397.1&slm=-1&sl=sle

So, which forumite had this on their christmas wish list? I think its complete b/s, but its nice to dream.

So, which forumite had this on their christmas wish list? I think its complete b/s, but its nice to dream.
    I said it a while back. Nobody believed me of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Has anyone got any basis for that story?

PHB wrote:
    Has anyone got any basis for that story?

Just rumours i think. I heard there was something on itv teletext about it, but not sure.

It's just 33/1 odds are quite odd, not great odds for a betting man, but seems awfully low for a transfer like this.

Nuts! But I'll laugh like a drain if it happens :D

Mike.

PHB wrote:
    It's just 33/1 odds are quite odd, not great odds for a betting man, but seems awfully low for a transfer like this.

You'd want your head examined to take those odds. But betfred know people will throw the odd 5er or so on it so its not bad for betfred.

• Advertisement

Do I win anything if I am right with my prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

He did an interview awhile ago saying if he were to play for another club in the Premiership it would be Liverpool because of the fans.
    But there's no way in hell he'd actually transfer! I'd love to be proved wrong though!

Stevie G MBE! Fair play - he'll have stinker today! ;):D

Mike.

Can't believe they managed to hold out for the win this afternoon tbh. Spurs piled so much pressure on - particularly in the last 30 mins or so and we offered little by way of response. But 3 points are 3 points so who's complaining...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

so eh beckham anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

so eh beckham anyone?

no thanks

• Advertisement

Beckham would never play for another English club, let alone for Liverpool. Don't forget, he is a childhood United fan through and through, his dad still has a season ticket at Old Trafford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The Sunday People claims Dubai International Capital are close to completing their takeover of Liverpool and that they see a move for Beckham as the perfect way to reassure Reds supporters.

The report suggests that Rafa Benitez sees Beckham as the solution to his problems on the right of midfield, with Jermaine Pennant having failed to impress since his summer move from Birmingham.

The News of the World on the other hand list 15 clubs who they claim have made contact with his agent. Liverpool not being one of the 15.

The People also suggest a swap deal with Valencia - David Villa for Pepe Reina

According to Fivelive Rafa is happy with his squad and is not planning any buys.

Mike.

The DIC deal wont be done in time for january so i cant see us making alot of transfer.

It will probaly just be henry. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

you might as well get Ronaldinho while you've got the cheque book out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

The Beckham story detailed in some english papers was taken from a Spanish paper who published the same story on the 28th December (which is Spains equivalant of April fools day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

what do people think bout Couch to newcastle for 12m, reina +10 for villa, then ~7m on that italian keeper Amelia and recall carson from loan?

is it worth losing reina and crouch for villa and a new unproven keeper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Call_me_al wrote:
    what do people think bout Couch to newcastle for 12m, reina +10 for villa, then ~7m on that italian keeper Amelia and recall carson from loan?

is it worth losing reina and crouch for villa and a new unproven keeper?

12m for crouch!? Are you for real? Well i suppose it is Newcastle.

Personally i think we would get about half that for him (sterling). I think Crouch/Martines partnership would be fantastic.

as for the reina/villa deal, id say its highly unlikely, but i would definetly be up for that and have Carson back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If an offer of £12m comes in for Crouch, th ehand it's attached to should be taken off.

Re. Carson. If Rafa sells him at the end of the season I'd be well pissed off. He is looking like a top notch keeper at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

anytime a foreign player is brought in for a big fee its a massive risk, thats my only problem with signing david villa. other than that i'd love him at the club, he's one of the most well balanced strikers in europe. far better than torres.

but if there was 1 spanish player that on the surface i would see adapting well to england it would be villa. he wont be at all cheap though.

as for goalkeepers, i dont know what rafa is at, he seems to have a fetish for keepers.

Call_me_al wrote:
    then ~7m on that italian keeper Amelia

Well Amelia has just extended his contract with Livorno so you can forget about any potential bids for him..
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=438919&CPID=21&clid=14&lid=&title=Amelia+extends+Livorno+deal

I really dont want to see Crouchey go he is one of our better players when given a chance I think we should keep him and give him more chances he is a great player with a lot of heart, good consistency and he scores goals. If Crouch was 6 foot he would be a starter for England and Liverpool but because he is 6 foot 7 he looks awkward and is "diffrent" from most other centre forwards and so dosnt get his game. TBH I would lose a little faith in Rafa if he lets Crouch go and brings in Lucas Neill.
    There rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I disagree with Regiano about Crouch. Between the Blackburn and Bolton games, he missed 5 gilt-edged chances with his head and scored one beauty with a volley. Not good enough. There's no doubt in my mind that he's only our third best striker, behind Bellamy and Kuyt.

But Crouch is a very good option to have on the bench or when either of the other two need a rest. So I wouldnt sell him unless we have a ready made replacement to bring in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

David Villa apparently watched Crouchies Pelesque overhead from the Anfield directors box, no source for that though, but there's a fair bit of forum talk with various people saying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

In my opinion there's not a chance of Peter Crouch going anywhere. As much as Newcastle fans might disagree, their club is nowhere near as big as Liverpool. Why would a player who's career is on an upward trajectory want to take a backward step? I would have said this even before he scored against Bolton.

With regard to the David Villa in the Director's Box story, from what I've been told and read, he was there as a guest of his good friend Luis Garcia at the match. Nothing more than that despite what the papers would want you to believe. While he would be a good addition to the squad, Liverpool don't spend silly money on strikers usually. Except for £14m on Cisse, £10m on Diouf and £11m on Heskey of course :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement