Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

David Villa apparently watched Crouchies Pelesque overhead from the Anfield directors box, no source for that though, but there's a fair bit of forum talk with various people saying it

Yup he was there (Bascombe even confirmed it). Supposedly with his missus & Garcia's but I wouldn't read too much into it tbh. Until I see him in a red shirt I don't care how many times he visits Anfield.

Various La Liga players are known to take in a Liverpool game or 2 if/when they get a chance - but that's mainly down to them visiting the LFC's spanish players. IIRC this time last year Raul was over to watch a match which sparked speculation about him signing but he was just over visiting Nando. And speaking of Nando he also dropped by to watch a game recently but that doesn't mean we're going to re-sign him. I've seen plenty of reports of other La Liga players being over for games but never read too much into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

malice_ wrote:
    In my opinion there's not a chance of Peter Crouch going anywhere. As much as Newcastle fans might disagree, their club is nowhere near as big as Liverpool. Why would a player who's career is on an upward trajectory want to take a backward step? I would have said this even before he scored against Bolton.

If he values his football he's not going to want to be 3rd choice long term. Plus if he's told " we got a £12m offer from Newcastle and everyone knows you not worth that so we're accepting it, bye bye" he's not really left with much choice.

Just because he scored against Bolton, doesnt mean anything changes. He missed sitters in the game against Blackburn which we lost, and also against Bolton. The Bolton game I fully feel would have been won without his goal. The goals we're comign one way or the other. It's the tight games like Blackburn where we cant afford his misses that he's really shown up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

zing wrote:
    Yup he was there (Bascombe even confirmed it). Supposedly with his missus & Garcia's but I wouldn't read too much into it tbh. Until I see him in a red shirt I don't care how many times he visits Anfield.

Various La Liga players are known to take in a Liverpool game or 2 if/when they get a chance - but that's mainly down to them visiting the LFC's spanish players. IIRC this time last year Raul was over to watch a match which sparked speculation about him signing but he was just over visiting Nando. And speaking of Nando he also dropped by to watch a game recently but that doesn't mean we're going to re-sign him. I've seen plenty of reports of other La Liga players being over for games but never read too much into it.

That's true but none of them were invited into the directors box. He's also supposed to have taken a tour of Melwood:eek: .

No matter how much I'd like it I can't see him signing for Liverpool at the moment though. Maybe in the summer when the DIC money starts rolling in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Stekelly wrote:
    If he values his football he's not going to want to be 3rd choice long term. Plus if he's told " we got a £12m offer from Newcastle and everyone knows you not worth that so we're accepting it, bye bye" he's not really left with much choice.

Just because he scored against Bolton, doesnt mean anything changes. He missed sitters in the game against Blackburn which we lost, and also against Bolton. The Bolton game I fully feel would have been won without his goal. The goals we're comign one way or the other. It's the tight games like Blackburn where we cant afford his misses that he's really shown up in.

Surely if he values his football he'd prefer to be at a club capable for challenging for honours? If Dietmar Hamman had stayed a Newcastle player would he have won every club honour in the English Premiership bar the title? It's debatable whether Crouch is the third choice striker or not.

Liverpool have never had to sell to balance the books so I can't imagine that they would accept the offer of £12m as it's surely not all that much more than he would be worth given the usual premium price tag usually attached to English players.

The Blackburn game was frustrating but just like Kuyt against Chelsea earlier in the season, if Alonso hadn't hit the woodwork in that game or if Friedel hadn't made some excellent saves we would have won that match as easy as the Bolton game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I admit to not seeing much of us play this year, but I'd rather not let Crouch go, specially not to 'Castle.

Imagine a fit again Owen [stop sniggering] playing off Crouch?

No thanks.

In saying that, I would like Villa to play upfront. Unsure as to with who tho, perhaps Kuyt but there's a small chance he might be another Baros upfront for us.
    He was good in the WC from what I saw and would prefer him over Torres.

As for losing Reina?
    No. I think it would be a terrible mistake and bad for the whole defence. Second half of the season is our make or break and the last thing we need is to blood a new keeper in games that we damn well should and probably will need to win.

SWP if the ½ price thing is true, but even then he might be too pricey.

Last thing, no matter who comes in, as long as they aren't CL tied, I don't overly mind. Bring in players where we need them but don't be stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

malice_ wrote:
    Surely if he values his football he'd prefer to be at a club capable for challenging for honours? If Dietmar Hamman had stayed a Newcastle player would he have won every club honour in the English Premiership bar the title? It's debatable whether Crouch is the third choice striker or not.

Liverpool have never had to sell to balance the books so I can't imagine that they would accept the offer of £12m as it's surely not all that much more than he would be worth given the usual premium price tag usually attached to English players.

The Blackburn game was frustrating but just like Kuyt against Chelsea earlier in the season, if Alonso hadn't hit the woodwork in that game or if Friedel hadn't made some excellent saves we would have won that match as easy as the Bolton game.

I know but my point about the Blackburn game is that its the type of tight game you cant afford to let sitters pass you by. Crouch did it against Chelsea this season too. He had a free header on the 6 yard box and the ball actually ended up on the edge of the 18 yard box, thats attrocious. Alonso will have his shots and they come off now and again but they cant be used as a place to pull goals from when needed, thats what you need strikers for.

On another note yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy. My dad (chelsea fan) just rang, he got 3 tickets for the match in Anfield on the 19th. I just booked our flights and accomodation. Just when you think a crappy Wednesday cant be saved, bang 12 o'clock hits and you sudenly going to see Liverpool - Chelsea for the 2nd year running.:D :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think selling Crouch would be the best thing to happen to Liverpool in the long run, as currently they rely way way way way way way way way too much of hitting long balls to him. It's not specifcally their fault, it's just a tendency people have when they have a massive striker up there. If Liverpool really want to challenge, Crouch won't be part of the team that does.

PHB wrote:
    I think selling Crouch would be the best thing to happen to Liverpool in the long run, as currently they rely way way way way way way way way too much of hitting long balls to him. It's not specifcally their fault, it's just a tendency people have when they have a massive striker up there. If Liverpool really want to challenge, Crouch won't be part of the team that does.

Well here's yet another Crouch rumour - Juve this time. Even mentions a poss
    straight swap for Trezeguet.
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?HLID=439228&CPID=8&title=Crouch+in+Juventus+link&lid=&channel=Premiership&f=rss&clid=14

12m for him wouldn't be bad business really - considering we paid something like 7m for him iirc. However I don't think now would be an ideal time to sell him (if we are to sell him) - maybe in the summer though.

• Advertisement

Looks like there could be some truth behind the Mascherano rumours after all..
    Initially as a loan move so nothing to loose there really..
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=benitez-eyes-up-double-swoop%26method=full%26objectid=18386577%26siteid=50061-name_page.html
    Still not sure about Neil though - I'd see him more as a temp solution but then I always saw Zenden the same way and he's still knocking about..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Re: Mascherano

Its not about when he last played for Corinthians, but rather he was still registered with them after July 1st, and he wouldn't be allowed a third registration between July '06 and June '07, no? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

That last link has really grabbed my attention

If Bascombe is talking about Mascherano it's time to take notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    How can they rely way X 8 too much on long balls to him when he starts less than half the league games?

SofaKing wrote:
    Re: Mascherano

Its not about when he last played for Corinthians, but rather he was still registered with them after July 1st, and he wouldn't be allowed a third registration between July '06 and June '07, no? :confused:

My understanding also was that it had to do with player registrations but I
    just took a look at http://www.fifa.com/documents/static/regulations/Status_Transfer_EN.pdf
    and in Article 5:
    Players may be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the
    period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. During this
    period, the player is only eligible to play in Offi cial Matches for two
    clubs.
    which would suggest it's all fine as long as he didn't play for Corinthians between July 1st & Aug 31st last year (or whenever he moved to West Ham).

Haven't bothered to read the rest of that pdf to see what else is in there..

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

I didn't think that there was anything in this rumour until I read the Chris Bascombe article today. It sounds like we are really interested. Maybe Zenden will be sold in the summer and Javier will take his place on a permanent deal. I do wonder whether he is better than Momo and how many games he would start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

That appears to be a pretty definitive answer, zing.

Perhaps he did then play a game for Corinthians in July / August despite what all the news sources say...

How can they rely way X 8 too much on long balls to him when he starts less than half the league games?

Because whenever he comes on, they change to that style of play. If he's on the pitch, Liverpool become a less effective Chelsea. If he remains there, he is always that option, whether or not he deserves to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote:
    Because whenever he comes on, they change to that style of play. If he's on the pitch, Liverpool become a less effective Chelsea. If he remains there, he is always that option, whether or not he deserves to be.

That is the point of a sub on occassion is it not? To actually change the game. I agree that is should not be relied upon but I can think of as many examples where he was ineffective as he was very effective.

SofaKing wrote:
    That appears to be a pretty definitive answer, zing.

Perhaps he did then play a game for Corinthians in July / August despite what all the news sources say...

Did some more digging and according to the match reports on:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/results?id=874&season=2006&cc=5739
    he defo played for them during August '06 which leaves me even more confused now by Bascombe's reckoning that he would be eligible to transfer. However I'm sure the club have looked into this in detail if they are considering a move for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

what do people make of this reclaim the kop lark?

• Advertisement

Nonsense frankly, the game has moved on. Its just a bunch of moaning scousers grumbling into thier pints.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Fifa look ready to scupper Liverpool's attempt to sign Javier Mascherano on a loan deal, despite reports indicating that the Argentinian midfielder is close to a move to Merseyside.

Mascherano looks set to become one of the first departures under new West Ham boss Alan Curbishley after failing to adjust to life in the Premiership since his shock transfer deadline day signing from Corinthians.

The holding midfielder has pleaded with The Hammers to let him seek pastures new, and Reds boss Benitez has reputedly offered Mascherano an escape route from his Upton Park malaise.

Widespread reports in the English media indicate that talks regarding a loan switch to Anfield are at an advanced stage, but Fifa rules prohibit a player from appearing for three separate sides in the same season.

Now a spokesman for the governing body has confirmed that the rules will not be broken to facilitate Mascherano's potential move to Merseyside.

"The rules are very clear. Article 5.3 states that, although a player can be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1st July to 30th June, he is only eligible to play in official matches for two clubs in this period," a Fifa spokesman told The Times.

"In the case of Mascherano or [Carlos] Tevez, they have already played for Corinthians and West Ham United.

"The rule is binding. It cannot be deactivated just because it suits the clubs and the player in a certain instance.

"These rules were drawn up to protect the interests of players and clubs and to provide more stability in football.

"If a case was formally submitted to the Fifa bodies, then of course the Fifa bodies would look at it, but the view from our legal department is very clear that the regulations cannot be broken."

Link:http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=439451&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=&title=Fifa+ready+to+block+Masch+move

The Argentinian season is different to the European season cos its in the southern hemisphere no?

Mike.

it is but he played his last official game for Corinthians on August 22nd and the rule is from July 1st to June 30th afaik...

mike65 wrote:
    The Argentinian season is different to the European season cos its in the southern hemisphere no?

Mike.

Well yes it would be but article 5.3 of FIFA's regulations regarding player registrations & transfers does not mention 'seasons' but rather sets specifics dates - namely the period of Jul 1st to Jun 30th.
    Players may be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the
    period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. During this
    period, the player is only eligible to play in Official Matches for two
    clubs.

However if as Bascombe reports the club are pushing ahead with this loan move then the club must have some angle by which they reckon they can get FIFA to agree to allowing this transfer.

There has been some precedent though - Aliadiere is an obvious example who during the '05-'06 season had loan spells with Celtic, West Ham & Wolves and odds are was also a registered Arsenal player for part of that season as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

are the pool in the queue for upson?

they may get him on the basis that they will actually own him rather than his last 2 clubs only had him registered and he was owned by MSI.

Afaik we are now buying him form MSI.

Call_me_al wrote:
    they may get him on the basis that they will actually own him rather than his last 2 clubs only had him registered and he was owned by MSI.

Afaik we are now buying him form MSI.

Again see Article 5.3 from the FIFA regulations - there's absolutely no mention of ownership. Also we wouldn't be 'buying' - it would be an initial loan until the end of the season.

Rafa has come with:
    "There are a lot of similar situations with players who have played for three clubs in the same season, and in some cases four, so I think it is not a problem," said Benitez.

Which sounds fairly confident that something could be sorted if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

So anyone worked out why we're after him yet?. While he's very highly rated, he's played very little since joining West Ham, and hasn't made the last few squads, so he's probably not match fit, and with Momo and Zenden back at the end of the month, I can't see him playing much for us either.

I know Rafa likes Argentinians because of how well the likes of Ayala, Aimar, and Pellegrino did for him at Valencia, but I can't really see the point of this. Its one of the positions we're probably strongest in. Anyone know if he can play at the back as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well if he plasy to half his potential he is going to be better than Zenden. The only problem I can see with it is that SG will not be played in CM as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

well he could play in a formation of 3 centre midfielders with 2 wingers like chelsea last year. i think it might suit us

Well if he plasy to half his potential he is going to be better than Zenden. The only problem I can see with it is that SG will not be played in CM as much.

My understanding is that Mascherano is a player along the lines of Makelele or even Hamann - very much a holding midfielder. Less of an athlete than Momo but a better footballer (better passing ability, etc..). If that is the case then I suspect Macherano & Momo would most likely rotate with each other and likewise StevieG & Xabi would rotate with each other. But that's just a guess..

Yes there still is the risk of pushing Stevie out to the wing but if Pennant can keep improving like he has in the last few games then Stevie is likely to feature less & less on the wings..

redzerdrog wrote:
    well he could play in a formation of 3 centre midfielders with 2 wingers like chelsea last year. i think it might suit us

Or the Chelsea of this year with the four central midfielders. Mascherano as the holding player in front of the defense, Alonso as the playmaker, Momo as the destructive maurauder and Gerrard as the runner.

Can't see it... but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I actually think playing with wingers (or wing-backs) would suit Liverpool a lot better than 4-4-2.

Would be true if we had more consistant wide players. Trouble with Pennant et al is you can't rely on thier quality and if you used Finnan and Riise then thats several players without a job!

Mike.

if JM does come in the plan must be something like this:
                       Reina
              Carra Hyypia Agger
                   Mascherano
                 Gerrard Alonso
         Pennant              Gonzalez
                   Kuyt Bellamy

I'd be happy with that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Call_me_al wrote:
    if JM does come in the plan must be something like this:
                       Reina
              Carra Hyypia Agger
                   Mascherano
                 Gerrard Alonso
         Pennant              Gonzalez
                   Kuyt Bellamy

I'd be happy with that!!

What about Momo?

3 across the middle with Gonzalez a free role behind the front two.

rumour's i've heard is momo could be on his way....

or he could play and we could have one up top...

Wing-backs in a 3-5-2 system need to be a lot more defensivly minded than Pennant and Gonzalez. If Mascherano does come in, I assume it's because Momo isn't expected back until the latter end of the season. Until then, Liverpool don't have much cover in midfield, so a Mascherano as a backup until the end of the season makes a lot of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Call_me_al wrote:
    rumour's i've heard is momo could be on his way....

where have you heard these "rumours"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I expect alonso to go before Momo. Considering Momo is taking gerrard place in the centr, rafa must rate him highly so i cant see him selling him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

If Mascherano signs I'd put a serious question mark over the head of Momo or Alonso

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

If Mascherano signs I'd put a serious question mark over the head of Momo or Alonso

why?

what has mascherano done while in england to merit putting pressure on the places of two of the better players in the premiership?

I'd agree... unless its the beginning of a DIC funded Chelsea-like mass accumulation of talent.

Anyway... looks like it might not come to pass..

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=439763&CPID=8&clid=21&lid=&title=Juve+back+in+for+Mascherano

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

Liverpool - Dudek, Finnan, Riise, Carragher, Agger, Gerrard, Alonso, Garcia, Pennant, Kuyt, Crouch. Subs - Reina, Hyypia, Gonzalez, Aurelio, Bellamy.

that the team for the Fa cup, bit surprised with Dudek included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Well pickin Dudek really backfired.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

No trophies for Liverpool this year :confused: Rafa got it badly wrong today, and messed up my football bet for the day :o , I didnt fancy Gunners at all tonight, but only one team up for it apart from a 20 min splurge in the 2nd half.

Tuesday will see the scores reversed I suspect.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

mike65 wrote:
    Tuesday will see the scores reversed I suspect.

Mike.
    Yup when our first team rolls out against Arsenals Youths.

Disappointing really, would've liked to see us retain the FA Cup. Oh well there's always the Champions League! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A better performance than when we played Arsenal in the league, but still disappointing. Crouch was poor, very wasteful with his shooting and his touch was often terrible. Kuyt, Aurelio and Pennant all played well, which is good to see!

Not too down about being knocked out of the cup, securing 3rd place and a good CL run are still the priorities for me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement