Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

mike65 wrote:
    Tuesday will see the scores reversed I suspect.

Mike.

Id say Rafa would have rathered the FA Cup than the Carling, just like Arsene.
    That was underpinned by Wenger's team selection tonight, me thinks it will be slightly different next week when the gunners team bus rolls into Anfield ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Sizzler wrote:
    No trophies for Liverpool this year :confused:

liverpool are in 2 other cup competitions btw mr. optimism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Disappointed with todays result, id of liked us to get a good run in the cup and hopefully retain it.

I thought Dudek was a disaster, I beleive he should of been able to save all them goals, with a possible exception on the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Slurms wrote:
    Well pickin Dudek really backfired.....:rolleyes:

I presume the intention was to put him in the shop window so they might be able to sell him and get some money for him rather than him leaving for free in the summer. If so it rebounded badly, I can't see anyone offering money for him now. Can they even have enough confidence in him to play him again on Tuesday in the worthless?

Ultimately in not bringing on either Bellamy or Gonzalez in the second half they gave up on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

A better performance?

Thank christ I missed the first game. I thought we were dreadful tbh.

Dudek, Garcia in particular, Crouch, Alonso..bah everyone was well below par.

Badly missed Momo imo.

After that game, a CB, CM, WF, S are needed.

Whats the point of two wingers who can't take on a their man and beat him?

el rabitos wrote:
    liverpool are in 2 other cup competitions btw mr. optimism
    This is true!

Carling, a big chance.

UCL, no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Alonso, Crouch, Finnan and Louey G were awful for Liverpool today. I really am starting to wonder what Alonso has brought to the team this year. Garcia was his usual wasteful self today. Finnan's performances this season have declined sharply by his own standards. Bellamy should have started over Crouch, although I'm not sure that would have made a difference today since the Arse were so tight against Pool today.

I don't think Benitez can be blamed too much today. With the exception of Dudek (who I couldn't really fault for any of the goals) he played his strongest team. Player for player, Arsenal bettered them and were at their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Sizzler wrote:
    This is true!

Carling, a big chance.

UCL, no chance.

dont start that crap again, if ur in it theres a chance, someone has to win the bleedin thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kaimera wrote:
    Badly missed Momo imo.

If that was case how come we're doing so well in the league? I dont think he's missed all that much tbh.

No reason to play Dudek today. Goalkeepers shouldnt be rested. They dont tire like outfield players andalsways seem to getgood runs of games together when in form. Goalkeepers should only be dropped when injured or have a drop in form.

No Robbie in the squad again, wtf?

I thought Dudek was a disaster, I beleive he should of been able to save all them goals, with a possible exception on the first.
    I can't see why you'd make Dudek the fallguy for this performance. For goal 2 and 3, it was defensive error that led to two open goals.

First goal was a great strike hit first time giving Dudek almost no time to react.

Second goal involved Rosicky single-handedly strolling through the defence and then picking his spot 2 or 3 yards from the penalty spot.

Third goal was a Carragher error, Henry then waltzed around several Liverpool players and picked his spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Henry's goal wasnt well hit. Dudek was very poor in his reactions to the shot. Though, yeah Carragher should've just cleared the ball anyways. 2nd goal Dudeks was too close to his right post leaving the goal to his left a gaping target for Rosicky who strolled through our so called 'water-tight' defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Stekelly wrote:
    If that was case how come we're doing so well in the league?

I just felt the game suited Momo, neither Xavi or Stevie were in it at all.

Slurms wrote:
    Henry's goal wasnt well hit. Dudek was very poor in his reactions to the shot. Though, yeah Carragher should've just cleared the ball anyways. 2nd goal Dudeks was too close to his right post leaving the goal to his left a gaping target for Rosicky who strolled through our so called 'water-tight' defence.
    Doesn't matter if Henry mis-hit it, he was inside the penalty area with an open goal. Rosicky was given an open shot on goal from just outside the penalty area. Perhaps he could have gotten a hand or leg to one of the shots, it would have been luck though.

el rabitos wrote:
    dont start that crap again, if ur in it theres a chance, someone has to win the bleedin thing
    A bit like the lotto eh ;) How many times have you won that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Getting knocked out is a plot to give the Arse more games later in the season so Liverpool can concentrate on catching Chelsea! Seriously though if Rafa was that pushed he'd have thrown on both Gonzo and Bellamy.

Mike.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

mike65 wrote:
    Getting knocked out is a plot to give the Arse more games later in the season so Liverpool can concentrate on catching Chelsea! Seriously though if Rafa was that pushed he'd have thrown on both Gonzo and Bellamy.

Mike.

my thoughts exactly!! It looked like they didn't want to win it at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kaimera wrote:
    I just felt the game suited Momo, neither Xavi or Stevie were in it at all.

:eek:

When did that happen? ;)

Liverpools defence was woeful for the goals today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Alonso, Crouch, Finnan and Louey G were awful for Liverpool today. I really am starting to wonder what Alonso has brought to the team this year. Garcia was his usual wasteful self today. Finnan's performances this season have declined sharply by his own standards. Bellamy should have started over Crouch, although I'm not sure that would have made a difference today since the Arse were so tight against Pool today.

I don't think Benitez can be blamed too much today. With the exception of Dudek (who I couldn't really fault for any of the goals) he played his strongest team. Player for player, Arsenal bettered them and were at their best.

Apart from your assessment of Garcia, I couldn't disagree more with everything you wrote - dudek had a howler tonight and Finnan has been one of our better players this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

• Advertisement

Oh no the Bring Him Home campaign starts here! I think his return in France shows where he is best suited (unless he's missing total sitters there as well).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

keep baning them in lad. More goals in gets, means the more money Liverpool will get.

good too see him to well after his two terrible injuries aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Not one mention of the RTK. Justice for the 96. The stunning mosaic and the deafening atmosphere. Why? The match paled in comparison to this.

rondeco wrote:
    Not one mention of the RTK. Justice for the 96. The stunning mosaic and the deafening atmosphere. Why? The match paled in comparison to this.

Plenty in the FA Cup thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I thought Liverpool played well in the first half - up until the Rosicky goal. That was about Arsenal's first attack. Arsenal defended very well. But Liverpool were denied a stonewall penalty though. The defender came in with a two footed challenge, he was late and missed the ball and caught Alonso. Sure, it was that late that Alonso could have jumped over him and avoided him, but he's under no obligation to do that. Definite penalty, and if converted would have changed the whole game, Arsenal would have been forced to come out, and therefore Liverpool would have found it a bit easier to creat chances.

No question that Reina would have saved Henry's effort.

Very frustrating that Rafa didnt use Bellamy and Gonzalez. Almost as if he preferred to lose rather than draw.

Roll on Tuesday. I think Arsenal will have a stronger team out than many expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

dont know if this has been posted already

http://www.petitiononline.com/rawk2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Plenty in the FA Cup thread.

Sorry. I thought this was a liverpool thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Phil Jagielka will quit Sheffield United for Liverpool in a £9m deal at the end of the season if the Blades are relegated. (Daily Mirror, Daily Star)

Taken from the Gossip section of bbc sports.

He's a pretty decent player, but he's not 9m worth, and I can't believe we're in the market for another central midfielder, unless we're intending opening a museum with them all or something.

Anyway.. another goalie link.. never heard of him before..

http://www.eurosport.com/football/serie-a/2006-2007/sport_sto1049799.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I've seen Sheff Utd play only about 4 times. Never been impressed with Jagielka. Or Tonge for that matter. Though they are the only two Sheff Utd players who seem to get credit in the media, even though most of their teammates are putting in better performances.

Neil Warnock knows however, and he has benched both of them at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

theres no way jagielka's worth that. Is this takeover going to put us in the silly money category with chelsea?

• Advertisement

theres no way jagielka's worth that. Is this takeover going to put us in the silly money category with chelsea?

Well I'd imagine clubs will try it on more than they used to if we inquire about a player. All the indications are though that DIC are going to run the club as an actual money making venture, so I can't see us spending money in the Chelsea way.

Indications are that Chelsea aren't going to spend in the Chelsea way any longer either. Everyone thought that they'd bring someone in very quickly once the window opened, but against Wycombe it looks like Ferreira & Essien will be their central defense, and Kenyon has gone off the Asia for a week, meaning they won't be buying anyone till he gets back. So if Chelsea stop, transfer fees might come down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

More updates from bbc sport.
    Liverpool table bid for McCarthy
    Liverpool have tabled an undisclosed offer for Hamilton Academical youngster James McCarthy.
    The 16-year-old, who scored his first senior goal for the Accies at the weekend, is spending a couple of days at Reading this week.

A host of clubs north and south of the border are reported to be interested in the attacking midfielder.

Hamilton boss Billy Reid said: "Liverpool made an offer for Jamie but he has not refused or accepted as yet."

2:
    Reds linked with Italian keeper
    Liverpool are close to landing Italy Under-21 goalkeeper Daniele Padelli, according the the player's agent.

The Sampdoria player has made just one league appearance since joining Serie B club Crotone on loan in the summer.

As a result, Sampdoria have the right to cancel the deal and are considering an offer which agent Silvano Martina claims has been made by the Reds.

"He is a promising keeper and Liverpool are interested," said Martina. "If he were to join it would be permanently."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I reckon once Rafa saw Jagielk play in goal, he decided he must have him. What is it with Rafa and his fetish for keepers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

James McCarthy declared for Ireland btw.
    HAMILTON ACCIES wonderkid Jamie McCarthy is ready to copy Celtic's Aiden McGeady - and snub Scotland for the Republic of Ireland.

The 15-year-old made his debut for Accies in their 2-1 derby defeat of Airdrie on Saturday where he was watched by Sean McCaffrey, manager of the Republic's Under-17s.

And McCaffrey is ready to hand McCarthy - who has already been watched by Barcelona - his first cap for the Republic in Dublin against Italy on January 19.

McCarthy qualifies for the green of Ireland through his grandfather.

McCaffrey said: "I don't need a second look to know that he will be Eire's gain and Scotland's loss.

"It is a major plus that his grandfather Paddy Coyle was a Donegal man and had such a big influence on Jamie.

"I saw Roy Keane at a similar age and I know what a talent Jamie has. We will be delighted to integrate him in the Under-17 side."

Accies' boss Billy Reid is delighted his star youngster has gained international recognition - but laments the fact Scotland will miss out on another outstanding home-grown talent

He groaned: "I am so sad Scotland have missed out on Jamie. It happened to me when I was at Clyde and I gave Craig Bryson his debut at 16 and he never got a sniff of an age-group international.

"It seems the only way you get picked to play for Scotland at Under-17s is if you play for the Old Firm. Jamie made his debut in a Hamilton side joint top of the First Division, but he's not good enough for Scotland Under-17s. It's mad."

Meanwhile, McCarthy's first-team starting debut was watched by Man United and Chelsea while Plymouth Argyle are also believed to be keen on the Accies kid.

But McCarthy's football advisor George Gray, of Braveheart Promotions, said: "I hope Jamie will stay at Hamilton at least until the end of the season."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

does anyone know where the cheapest place to get a jersey with a name and number on it is these days? i was looking at the lfc shop on the official website and it's impossible to find adult replica jerseys. I wanna get Kuyt and 18 (seeing as he's more consistent than anyone else i'm willing to splash out for 2 numbers :D )

McCarthy yes Jagielka no! WTF does Scott Carson have to do?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Tonights team V Arsenal:

Starting: Dudek, Warnock, Peltier, Hyypia, Paletta, Gerrard, Guthrie, Gonzalez, Aurelio, Fowler, Bellamy.
    Subs: Reina, Garcia, Alonso, Carragher, Crouch.

Decent enough bench - not sure about the first XI though ;)

Phil Jagielka will quit Sheffield United for Liverpool in a £9m deal at the end of the season if the Blades are relegated. (Daily Mirror, Daily Star)

Taken from the Gossip section of bbc sports.

Should of posted this in the humour forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

zing wrote:
    Tonights team V Arsenal:

Starting: Dudek, Warnock, Peltier, Hyypia, Paletta, Gerrard, Guthrie, Gonzalez, Aurelio, Fowler, Bellamy.
    Subs: Reina, Garcia, Alonso, Carragher, Crouch.

Decent enough bench - not sure about the first XI though ;)

And the Arsenal lineup:
    Almunia, Hoyte, Toure, Djourou, Traore, Walcott, Fabregas, Song Billong, Denilson, Julio Baptista, Aliadiere.
    Subs: Poom, Diaby, Connolly, Lansbury, Randall.

mike65 wrote:
    WTF does Scott Carson have to do?.

I know, he'll probably sell him at the end of the season. I really like him (even if he did hit me with the ball before the Chelsea game last season. :D )He's playing so well and bar a bit of a mistake against Juve, I dont remember him doing anything wrong for Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Not good about Gonzalzez. Been very unlcuky this season with injuries.

Yep nothing broken though according to bbc commentary report.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Stekelly wrote:
    I know, he'll probably sell him at the end of the season. I really like him (even if he did hit me with the ball before the Chelsea game last season. :D )He's playing so well and bar a bit of a mistake against Juve, I dont remember him doing anything wrong for Liverpool.
    If I recall correctly he let in another fairly soft goal against Newcastle from a set-piece. I'd still have him back as second choice to Reina though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anyone heard any news on Gonzalez or Luis Garcia?

PHB Garcia has ligament damage apparently.

Right, is Rafa an idiot or genius? Discuss!

Mike.

Gonzalez just has a 6inch cut on his leg i think. Nothing broken anyway.

Some terrible performances, especially from Paletta. I thought he was going to be loaned out to a spianish team, the sooner the better.

We need a new sub keeper. Wether dudek was at fault for more then 1 goal in debatable, but he doesnt install any confidence and i doubt the rest of the players are confident in him. If Reina is injuried and were stuck with him for the rest of the persmiership season or barca we would be in serious trouble.

Either get Carson back or that Italian.

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

I think he floats between both.

The first couple of times in his reign we had bad defeats and you could see he was seething in interviews I thought, fair play, he cares. Now I dont now what to think. He doesnt seem able to change things properly. I'm fast begining to think Istanbul was a fluke. He got lucky that he put on a player in Hamann that I feel he made a mistake in leavign out in the first place.

Hamann was badly needed tonight to control the middle. If he was still there as back up, he'd have played as much if not more for Us this season than he has for City and would have been perfect tonight.

Bringing on Carra was a mystifying decision.

get Carson back .

I dont think thats an option. AFAIK it's a season loan with no option to recall and I cant see Charlton doing us any favours in their position.

mike65 wrote:

Neither, a good manager who has done fairly well with a decent team.

Just something to cheer us up! :)

League Division 1 Champions:
    1900-01, 1905-06, 1921-22, 1922-23, 1946-47, 1963-64,
    1965-66, 1972-73, 1975-76, 1976-717, 1978-79, 1979-80,
    1981-82, 1982-83, 1983-84, 1985-86, 1987-88 1989-90 (Record
    of 18 League Championships)

League Div 1/Premier League Runners-Up:
    1898-99, 1909-10, 1968-69, 1973-74, 1974-75, 1977-78, 1984-85, 1986-87, 1988-89, 1990-91, 2001-02

League Division 2 Champions: 1893-94, 1895-96, 1904-05, 1961-62

FA Cup Winners: 1965, 1974, 1986, 1989, 1992, 2001, 2006
    FA Cup Runners-Up: 1914, 1950, 1971, 1977, 1988, 1996

League Cup Winners: 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1995, 2001, 2003
    League Cup Runners-Up: 1978, 1987, 2005

European Cup Winners: 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005
    European Cup Runners Up: 1985

Uefa Cup Winners: 1973, 1976, 2001

Super Cup Winners: 1977, 2001, 2005

Mike.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Hamann was badly needed tonight to control the middle. If he was still there as back up, he'd have played as much if not more for Us this season than he has for City and would have been perfect tonight.

Hamann was the one that wanted to leave, you cant blame rafa for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement