Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

where did u see that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heard it on radio, SSN have it too apparently.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

So, for those who were watching, how did the setup go today?

A 3-5-2 with Kuyt in centre midfield with Gerrard and Alonso?

Or 4-4-2 with Agger & Finnan or Aurelio & Carra at LB & RB?

Or 4-3-3 with Agger at LB an Aurelio at CM with Gerrard and Alonso?

:confused:

None of the above! It was 3-4-3

----Carra-Hyypia-Aggar
    Finnan--Gerrard-Alonso-Aurelio
    Bellamy-Crouch-Kuyt

I was listening so I think I have the players positions correct.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Team started the way Mike said, after about 20mins Kuyt played behind the front 2 and from then on Liverpool took complete control of the game, kuyt doing plenty of running being generally unselfish, keeping the ball moving in attack.

A good performance all round but then there's always the "it was only Watford" factor so don't really know how much we can take from the success of todays formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

~Rebel~ wrote:
    A good performance all round but then there's always the "it was only Watford" factor so don't really know how much we can take from the success of todays formation.

I think the players themselves were also guilty of adopting a bit of a "it's only Watford" attidude and didn't overly push themselves. If they had they'd have easily created a second 6-x headline this week - but then I guess they had one eye on next weekend and didn't want to risk anything.

Here's SSN's take on the Raul rumours:
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=441416&CPID=23&clid=186&lid=2&title=Reds+in+new+Raul+link
    claim it would be at the end of this season rather than now. Possibly replacing one ageing forward (God) with another ?

Rafa was asked by fivelive and he dismissed it in a second, so its a done deal then! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I honestly think that Robbie playing regularly in games with teh first choice team around him, trying to win games, instead of playing the last few mins of won games or cup games with half teams, would outscore Raul in teh same circumstances.

Raul has Morientes written all over him and I cant think of anyone I would consider less suitable to the premiership. Especially if you are comparing two supposed past it players, tried and tested is the way to go.Raul is 30, not the age for a player that was never very athletic, and more of a skill player, to be moving to and trying to adapt to a much more physical and fast paced league.

It's Robbie all the way for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

raul would be a bad signing for Pool, hes gone stale a few years now and if Real cant get him going a gig in PL wont get him motivated. Imagine its Qatar or somfin for him next.

Bent would be a better signing considering hes available.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Good win in the FA Youth Cup against Chelsea. So much for Arnesen picking up the best of the worlds youth

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N154684070113-1342.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Good to hear that the deal with Dubai IC is almst done, although we'll just have to see how it really works out in the long-term. There are inherently unknowns with such a takeover so fingers-crossed.

Glad to see that Liverpool cruised to a 0-3 win but this was merely Watford and a very poor display by Watford standards at that. Also, it has to be said that Bouazza was very close to scoring when the game was still at 0-0. Needless to say the lack of pace by Hyypa was the main factor in that chance as Bouazza was his man and he lost him.

The 3-4-3 experiment should only be used in such easy games like Watford and I would think it would be a major and shocking mistake if Rafa would play the same formation against Chelsea next weekend. I hope he doesn't.

Redspider

I think he will! With Bellamy and Kuyt dropping off or pushing wide as and when required. Okay maybe not but part of me likes the idea.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If Chelsea still played with their wingers, I'd be in favor, but with their central midfield so packed I'd prefer a 4-4-2, or a 4-5-1.

What about:

Reina
    Finnan Carra Hyppia Aurelio
    ----Alonso Gerrard
    Pennant
    Riise
    Bellamy
    --Kuyt

Plenty of pace out wide and in attack, exploiting Chelsea's lack of natural width. Hyppia in because Drogba would no doubt just muscle Agger out of it! Lack of defensive midfielder is a worry, we cant have Momo back soon enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

lucas neil???????

Is anyone else dreading the though of him wearing a red shirt?

He has some use but hes ALWAYS giving away free kicks and penalties. I will go spare if we sign him:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Id say Pool will win next saturday, a lot to prove and I can see them getting a win here 2-0, Im actually going to back them in my saturday usual. Only worry is to contain Drogba and fat frank. If Gerrard muscles FF out of the game then it could be one sided...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Cissé scored again for Marseille, that's 6 goals in 6 matches for him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Cissé scored again for Marseille, that's 6 goals in 6 matches for him now.
    Hopefully he won't get sent back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

If Chelsea still played with their wingers, I'd be in favor, but with their central midfield so packed I'd prefer a 4-4-2, or a 4-5-1.

What about:

Reina
    Finnan Carra Hyppia Aurelio
    ----Alonso Gerrard
    Pennant
    Riise
    Bellamy
    --Kuyt

Plenty of pace out wide and in attack, exploiting Chelsea's lack of natural width. Hyppia in because Drogba would no doubt just muscle Agger out of it! Lack of defensive midfielder is a worry, we cant have Momo back soon enough...
    Personally I think that team would be improved if Bellamy took Pennant's place, Kuyt took Bellamy's and Crouch was up top. It would send a great message of confidence if we started with all 3 (albeit it would be called naivitiy if we lost!!). I think there's more chance of 1 starting than 3. But it'll probably be two.

If we sign Lucas Neill, then a left side with Neill at full back and Riise ahead of him would be stronger than any option we currently have, IMO.

What is most important for the Chelsea game is strong performances from Gerrard and Alonso, and no silly mistakes at the back. If we do that we won't lose. If.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Personally I think that team would be improved if Bellamy took Pennant's place, Kuyt took Bellamy's and Crouch was up top. It would send a great message of confidence if we started with all 3 (albeit it would be called naivitiy if we lost!!). I think there's more chance of 1 starting than 3. But it'll probably be two.

What is most important for the Chelsea game is strong performances from Gerrard and Alonso, and no silly mistakes at the back. If we do that we won't lose. If.

Nor any silly mistakes in the selection.

Whilst I would like to see Bellamy tried wide right in a 4-4-2 formation at some stage, I agree with NekkidBibleMan that a more standard 4-4-2 formation is what's needed for this game verus Chelsea. Aurelio and Riise on the left side is fine but perhaps Riise back (with more pace) might be better. I would favour Agger over Hyypia as I would fear Hyypia being caught out for pace such as when facing Robben. Carra will be picking up Drogba.

Its a good time to play Chelsea and a win would certainly be the result we need. Such a result may sway the title towards Man Utd though, depending on what happens in their game v Arsenal.

Its a big weekend for determining the season outcome for all 4 teams. Lets hope that Rafa picks his strongest team and that they put up a good performance. The fans have certainly been patient for one.

Redspider

• Advertisement

I think Hyypia is a necessity when playing Chelsea as I don't believe either Carragher or Agger have to the ability to cope with Drogba in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'd debate the merits of playing a 4-5-1 with either Carragher or Agger playing defensive midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

The big transfer of the year is nearly complete http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6263933.stm
    They seem determined to get it signed in time to release cash for the January transfer window.

The figure seems lower than what was expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Darren Potter is off to Wolves on a permantent deal.

Are we not sick of all this "strikers as wingers" stuff? It only ever seems to result in loss of form and either the player wanting to leave or the manager wanting him to leave.

Personnally I prefer my strikers to play as strikers and my wingers to be wingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Stekelly wrote:
    Are we not sick of all this "strikers as wingers" stuff? It only ever seems to result in loss of form and either the player wanting to leave or the manager wanting him to leave.

Personnally I prefer my strikers to play as strikers and my wingers to be wingers.

Agree.

It's not like we've got a player like Henry whos a winger-turned-striker.

Play to your strengths but please god rafa, enough with the strikers on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Small update on Mascerano:
    http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/pr...icle2157374.ece

Liverpool were given hope of a breakthrough in their laborious efforts to sign Javier Mascherano from West Ham United last night when Fifa announced the Argentina international may be allowed to move to Anfield after all.

Rafael Benitez is anxious to strengthen his squad with the World Cup midfielder but has been frustrated in his attempts by world football's governing body, which prevents a player appearing for three clubs between 1 July and 30 June the following year.

Fifa regulations stipulate that while a player can register with a maximum of three clubs during that time, they can only play for two, and as Mascherano starred for Corinthians after the World Cup and before his astonishing move to West Ham in August, he is ineligible to play for Benitez's side. Only last week Fifa announced that the ruling was binding but, having received a written submission from Liverpool that contests the decision, the governing body has now confirmed it will consider a possible U-turn.

A Fifa spokesman said last night: "We have received correspondence from Liverpool and a case has now been opened."

Liverpool's detailed argument is supported by Mascherano's representatives, Media Sports Investments, the group founded by Kia Joorabchian who also brought Carlos Tevez to West Ham before his failed attempt to take over the east London club. Liverpool's case is that, as the midfielder has played just six minutes for the Hammers since October and has made only seven appearances in total, and none since Alan Curbishley became manager, leaving the asset idle on the sidelines represents a restraint of trade.

Liverpool also argue that precedents have been set on the three-club rule and there should be an allowance for Mascherano as he played in both the European and the South American seasons last year, with the latter's calendar extending beyond 1 Julyt.

Should Fifa grant an exception, the Argentine's move to Anfield would proceed instantly.

The Anfield directors have also sanctioned a deal for Blackburn Rovers' Lucas Neill, who could be involved in the Liverpool squad to face Chelsea on Saturday provided he resists greater financial offers from West Ham or Newcastle United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Small update on Mascerano:
    http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/pr...icle2157374.ece

Liverpool were given hope of a breakthrough in their laborious efforts to sign Javier Mascherano from West Ham United last night when Fifa announced the Argentina international may be allowed to move to Anfield after all.

A one line quote from a FIFA rep saying they've opened a case (which they probably have to do anyway whenever they receive such a request) and all of a sudden that becomes an 'announcement' from FIFA that he may be allowed to move ? Talk about jumping to conclusions ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

Just got a text from a friend at college whos a big Liverpool fan saying Watford has accepted a bid from Liverpool for Ashley Young. Does this mean Gonzalez is going?!

Young plays RW / Striker, I think, which is a different position to Gonzales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

zing wrote:
    A one line quote from a FIFA rep saying they've opened a case (which they probably have to do anyway whenever they receive such a request) and all of a sudden that becomes an 'announcement' from FIFA that he may be allowed to move ? Talk about jumping to conclusions ...

personally i think it is disgraceful that FIFA are looking into allowing mascherano move to Liverpool. The guy signed for West Ham and just because he doesnt get his game he wants out.

Mascherano is supposed to be one of the great up and coming players in the world, yet wont train and try hard enough to get into a poor west ham team.

i cant think of any reason why he deserves to go to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

his transfer to West Ham seemed a bit dodgy in the first place to be honest, i doubt he really wanted to go there and you can't blame him for being a bit of a príck about the whole thing if that's the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

When would he be used though? A backup midfielder i could understand but i wouldnt imagine he'd be too happy with that. We've already got 3 quality midfielders (as soon as momo's back) who all want to be playing in the 2 central spots week in week out..

~Rebel~ wrote:
    When would he be used though? A backup midfielder i could understand but i wouldnt imagine he'd be too happy with that. We've already got 3 quality midfielders (as soon as momo's back) who all want to be playing in the 2 central spots week in week out..

Exactly. If mascherano comes in and Gerrard gets shoved back out wide, i'd imagine he'd be well pissed, and perfectly understandably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Rafa is switching to 5-3-2 wing-backs, gonna use a rotating Sissoko-Alonso-Macherano 2-man central midfield, with Gerrard in the hole behind a front two.

Maybe.

Personally I think Gerrard contributes more to the team when on the right with a licence to roam than when in the centre. When Momo is back he should be put back on the right instantly. But a 5-3-2 formation with Gerrard behind the front 2 would suit him down to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

But a 5-3-2 formation with Gerrard behind the front 2 would suit him down to the ground.

Would it suit the rest of the team though to play without wingers even if they're not always effective?. While Gerrard's goal output has increased since he was moved back to the middle, his general level of performance doesn't seem good enough to me for us to try and upset the balance of the team purely to find a formation that maximises his effectiveness. Maybe its the result of a short break after the world cup, or maybe its the result of the rumoured family problems but this season he doesn't look the top class international midfielder some make him out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Liverpool have given a trial to Hungarian starlet Andras Simon, according to reports in Hungary.

The 17-year-old, who plays for Budapest-based side MTK Hungaria, is regarded as one of the country's brightest talents.

Simon is believed to be heading to the Merseysiders to spend a few days training with the Premiership giants.

Liverpool are always scouting for Europe's up-and-coming talent and have already agreed a deal for 16-year-old Swedish striker Astrit Ajdarevic.

Rafa Benitez and his coaching staff will now assess Simon's attributes with a view to making his Anfield stay a permanent move.

Simon would become Liverpool's second Hungarian to play for the club behind defender Istvan Kozma, who played for The Reds during the early 90s.

Link: http://home.skysports.com/transferarticle.aspx?hlid=442305

STOP SIGNING 17 YEAR OLDS! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Maybe this has already been mentioned but if Jon Stead turns out for Sheffield United will he not be breaking FIFA rules? He played one game for Sunderland at the start of the season, went on loan to Derby and played and now is with United. That to me equals three clubs and would come under the same rule as the one Macherano is trying to get out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Don't think it counts for loan deals, manys a player has gone on loan to two clubs in a season.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Don't think it counts for loan deals, manys a player has gone on loan to two clubs in a season.

If that was the case there wouldnt be a problem with mascherano playing for Liverpool as they are only loaning him.

Stekelly wrote:
    If that was the case there wouldnt be a problem with mascherano playing for Liverpool as they are only loaning him.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. It just seems a bit baffling if and when Stead plays how he could do it and not Mascherano.

Stekelly wrote:

"The pair have been signed for an undisclosed fee and put pen-to-paper on permanent contracts with the club this afternoon. All other aspects of the transfers will remain confidential and undisclosed."

I'm fairly sure neither Tevez or Mascherano are there on loan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/5301068.stm

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    "The pair have been signed for an undisclosed fee and put pen-to-paper on permanent contracts with the club this afternoon. All other aspects of the transfers will remain confidential and undisclosed."

I'm fairly sure neither Tevez or Mascherano are there on loan.

Liverpool are only loaning Mascherano from West Ham.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote:
    Yeah that's what I was getting at. It just seems a bit baffling if and when Stead plays how he could do it and not Mascherano.

If that was the case then Rossi wouldn't be able to play for Parma until May either, having played for United and Newcastle. The ruling doesn't apply to loan deals.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    If that was the case then Rossi wouldn't be able to play for Parma until May either, having played for United and Newcastle. The ruling doesn't apply to loan deals.

So whats teh issue with Mascherano then? He's been owned by Corinthians and West Ham. Liverpool are looking to loan him. If loans dont count whyt cant he playfor Liverpool?

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Yeah but two of Rossi's clubs are loan deals. Two of Stead's are permanent. Is that not the difference?

Stekelly wrote:
    So whats teh issue with Mascherano then? He's been owned by Corinthians and West Ham. Liverpool are looking to loan him. If loans dont count whyt cant he playfor Liverpool?

I suppose it depends on what it means to be "registered" with a club, which seems to be the issue here.

I know that Leon Best has played for both Yeovil and Bournemouth this season, despite being "registered" with Southampton, though I don't think he has played for Saints.
    Xavi6 wrote:
    Yeah but two of Rossi's clubs are loan deals. Two of Stead's are permanent. Is that not the difference?

Yeah it's the same as Rossi, but if loan deals count then surely they should count for two moves as well as just one, if you get me? It's all a bit murky and bizarre...

I dont remember Rossi playing for Man United this season.

I have seen it stated that the rule applies equally to loan deals as permanent deals. Quite simply you cannot play for 3 different clubs in one season - unless FIFA grant you an exemption .

Are you sure Stead played for Sunderland this season?

Apart from the Liverpool case, I do think its a bad rule and should be increased to 3 clubs. For example when a player returns from a 6 month loan in January, it would be ideal for him to get a couple of games for his club to help them make the decision to keep, loan or sell. For example Arsenal could have played Stokes in a game or two - before making their final decision.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement