Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Depo fans are right teeed off if there website forum is to be belived. Looks like we might have a good 'un. The Mascherano deal should be tied up tomorrow, I for one would love to know how much he's costing but I suspect he'll be "fee undisclosed" EDIT Its an 18 month loan, which is even odder.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Rafa opting for 3 & 3 again like he did against Watford.

Zenden back on the bench..

Team: Reina, Finnan, Riise, Hyypia, Agger, Carragher, Gerrard, Alonso, Crouch, Kuyt, Bellamy.
    Subs: Dudek, Fowler, Gonzalez, Pennant, Zenden.

Just heard - damn you're fast! Crouch Kuyt and Bellamy should be able to make hay.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mike65 wrote:
    Depo fans are right teeed off if there website forum is to be belived. Looks like we might have a good 'un. The Mascherano deal should be tied up tomorrow, I for one would love to know how much he's costing but I suspect he'll be "fee undisclosed" EDIT Its an 18 month loan, which is even odder.

Mike.
    an 18 month loan is unusually long, I'd say his wages will be on the large side.

anyway - if it goes through, it gives us time to see if he's suited to the league.

as for tonight's match, its a must win. west ham are struggling, we really should put them to the sword, keep pressure on Chelsea (and... ahem... manu.. maybe).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is Carra on some sort of bet? Thats 2 shots he's had already. By my count he's doubled his shots amount for the season. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Nice buildup for the 2nd goal :)

I'm impressed with the fluidity of this 3-4-3 setup - with the 3 forwards constantly pressing the West Ham back line and forcing them into bad passes. Good for playing against the weaker teams, prob wouldn't work against the stronger teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Well played by the lads, lots of passing it about. Good result.

Highlight of the game though was Rafa slipping :D

Its a sign of the times that when I saw the final score on teletext I was actually annoyed at the score. Rafa for the sack, we let one in!

You can access a good mpeg of tonights Liverpool goals from
    http://rapidshare.com/files/14156026/whu_scousers.mpeg.html
    only d/l the first 9 mbs the rest is West Ham scoring!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

For the Love of God!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6316011.stm

I can see this hole deal goin down the pan just for a little bit of greed :mad:
    Moores is a silly man if he doesnt oush the deal through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Here's the article:
    Liverpool stall on takeover bid
    Liverpool
    Liverpool have decided not to formally accept the £156m takeover bid from Dubai International Capital (DIC).

It is a turnaround from what had been expected and comes after a board meeting on Tuesday evening, casting doubt on the proposed buy-out.

Liverpool now appear to want more time to consider a revised offer from George Gillett, the owner of Montreal Canadians ice hockey team.

A final decision is expected to be made by the end of the week.

DIC has completed due diligence and wants to make its formal bid, via the Stock Exchange, for Liverpool chairman and owner David Moores' 51.6% majority shareholding early next week.

It believes Moores was in favour of a bid which would have given him £80m at £4,500 a share.

Gillett's original offer had been rejected before Christmas, but last week he submitted a new offer by letter to Moores which upped the bid to give Moores £88m for his holding.

I think the Gillet deal is the way to go, but since i dont know the ins and outs of the deal i am going on each buyers PR, and track record.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1883683,00.html

We've been given permissoin to sign Javier Mascherano, deadly...

woodyg wrote:
    For the Love of God!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6316011.stm

I can see this hole deal goin down the pan just for a little bit of greed :mad:
    Moores is a silly man if he doesnt oush the deal through

Who said Moores is stalling on this ? There are others on the board too - e.g. Granada would have a strong enough voice given their share holding.

The important thing is that they haven't rejected DIC's offer - they just didn't rubber stamp it yesterday ... but they still can. It makes perfect sense to hear what Gillet has to say - his new offer could be far superior to what DIC are offering (and not necessarily just in terms of share price) and to dismiss it outright would not be fair to any of the clubs shareholders.

Not rubber stamping the DIC bid last night isn't a big deal really - if anything it was the right thing for the board to do from a business pov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

zing wrote:
    Who said Moores is stalling on this ? There are others on the board too - e.g. Granada would have a strong enough voice given their share holding.

Its Moores mainly cause he will pocket about 8million more personaly from the other deal.
    80 million if he allows the 1st offer 88 million from the second.
    Now it might sound like a lot of money but when its only goin to effect the club its greed in my eyes and many fans eyes

As Moores has a 51% holding the decision is completely down to him - but I presume he will want the feedback of the board on the new offer.

woodyg wrote:
    Its Moores mainly cause he will pocket about 8million more personaly from the other deal.
    80 million if he allows the 1st offer 88 million from the second.
    Now it might sound like a lot of money but when its only goin to effect the club its greed in my eyes and many fans eyes

People need to distinguish between Moores the shareholder and Moores the chariman of the board here. He effectively wears two hats:
    o. One being that he is the controlling shareholder and it is he who will
    ultimately decide who the club gets sold to.
    o. The other being that he is chairman of the board and as such has a legal
    obligation to act in the interests of _all_ of the shareholders in the club.

Last night wasn't about DM signing over his personal 51% - that's largely a private sale for him to do and has little to do with the board.

AIUI what was on the cards last night was whether the board would vote to recommend to shareholders to accept the offer from DIC - an offer that has not yet formally been made to individual shareholders. And as they act on behalf of the club and it's shareholders they also have an obligation to hear what Gillet has to say. The board don't own the club so they can't decide to sell it - all they can do is make a recommendation to the shareholders that they feel offer X is in the best interests of the club and advice shareholders to accept it. And that doesn't mean they have to accept the offer from the highest bidder.

DIC haven't exactly been in much of a rush to push this deal through - maybe last nights decision will prompt them to get the finger out and write to individual shareholders fully outlining their proposal. That certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

On his private sale you're right - 80m if he accepts DIC's offer or 88 if
    he accepts Gillets. On the other hand it's president for life of a club he clearly loves dearly if he accepts DICs offer or an extra few quid (relatively speaking) and walking away from said club if he accepts Gillets (Gillet is also said to favour bringing in his own people while DIC are apparently prepared to keep DM/RP on board).

It's all pure speculation of course but I personally see last nights decision purely as a decision by the board and not a decision by DM the shareholder.

• Advertisement

The Mascherano deal has gotten the green light from fifa.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1883920,00.html

potentially a huge deal - if he can adjust to the team.

potentially a big selection head-ache...

sissoko - gerrard - alonso - mascherano

Ah sure, play all 4....

Reina
    Finnan
    Carra
    Hyypia
    Riise
    Alonso

Mascherano--Sissoko

Gerrard

Kuyt
    Bellamy

Naturally, we'd get killed on the wings :)

sure our wingers have been playing rubbish anyway!

Mascherano deal still needs Premier League approval - which we're still wating on....

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N154846070131-0944.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Mascherano will need about a month before he is ready to play at his old strength, due to the **** up of West Ham. Could turn out to be a quality buy, but I would once again like to see what the story is with the contract.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think it will be next season before we can judge the lad,he has had one crazy 12 months.He needs to get his head down and settle in.

• Advertisement

According to bbc.co.uk
    Morten Gamst perderson has been spotted at Melwood with Harry Kewell going the other way, would be a good deal, but do we really need another midfielder?

That would be the best deal of the last few years. If even just to get rid of harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    That would be the best deal of the last few years. If even just to get rid of harry.

I couldn't agree more, although I would say it is highly unlikely at this stage of the transfer window. Hopefully I'm wrong;)

Kewell expected to pass a medical ? Yeah right :D

Anyway - I'm not sure if I'd see MGP as a better player than a fit HK but then the 'fit' part there has always been a bit of an issue hasn't it. It's just gossip off bbc.co.uk anyway and don't really believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I wouldn't normally post or comment here, but i have some bad news for you liverpool fans :) I dont care what you say or if you believe me or not but i still thought i would post the comment up.

I have it on good authority that Jose Reina will leave liverpool in the summer and head back to spain probably Barca on a permanent transfer. The lad has struggled to settle in merseyside and is looking to move back to spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I wouldn't normally post or comment here, but i have some bad news for you liverpool fans :) I dont care what you say or if you believe me or not but i still thought i would post the comment up.

I have it on good authority that Jose Reina will leave liverpool in the summer and head back to spain probably Barca on a permanent transfer. The lad has struggled to settle in merseyside and is looking to move back to spain.

Ehh...hmmm. Not good news if it is true.

Care to elaborate on this 'good authority'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Does anyone actually know what happened Mascherano at him at West Ham?

Why didnt he play?

Would of been nice to get Tevez in the deal as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

has anyone heard from bannor lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Call_me_al wrote:
    According to bbc.co.uk
    Morten Gamst perderson has been spotted at Melwood with Harry Kewell going the other way, would be a good deal, but do we really need another midfielder?

where is that on the website?

event wrote:
    where is that on the website?

Somewhere in the middle of:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6294537.stm

• Advertisement

A bit more on Gillet's offer
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=lfc%2D-we%2Dre-taking-us-buy%2Dout-bid-seriously%26method=full%26objectid=18555515%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Looks like we could have ourselves a two horse race.

We can probably expect a lot more of the detail of both offers to be leaked over the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

have it now

would be a very good deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

kaimera wrote:
    Ehh...hmmm. Not good news if it is true.

Care to elaborate on this 'good authority'?

I don't want to elaborate on the story. I also heard that Gabriel Paletta is un-happy and wants to move, that may happen permanerly or loan, haven't heard anything in a while. Jose Reina will happen so i believe.

I'm not saying anymore, but if i do i may or may not post it.

seabee wrote:
    has anyone heard from bannor lately?
    Ahh Bannor, a boards soccer legend :) He always had some juicy transfer news from reliable sources before elsewhere back in 04/05/06. Last seen online on boards in Sept 06. Twas a shame that some posters thought he was plagarising stuff :/

based on that info from icliverpool, Gillet seems the way to go...

Just did a trawl and cannot find a suggestion regarding Reina....

EXCEPT THIS!

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=189798

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

If Reina did leave, while it would be slightly disappointing, it wouldn't be the end of the world by any stretch. He's done well to come back from some errors in early season, but with him being under contract for another 2-3 years we'd get enough for him to get a more than decent replacement.

I can see how Barcelona would want him though. I think Valdes is a complete liability.

Anyone else seen the links with us to the Barcelona "wunderkid" Bojan Krkic?. He's only 16 but there's talk of him making the first team squad at Barcelona, and us making a move for him.

http://www.jadransport.org/articles/3630.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Didn't reina come out a few weeks ago saying that he is happy to stay at liverpool and has finally settled in well into the area!!

Reina was very impressive last night against West Ham, I wouldn't be too happy with him leaving.

• Advertisement

No-one on RAWK has posted this "news" so I'm sceptical, they have a few Spanish members.

Mike.

DIC pull out of bid! Just heard on BBC five live It looks like they got pissed off by the reaction to the improved Gilette bid

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=lfc--we-re-taking-us-buy-out-bid-seriously&method=full&objectid=18555515&siteid=50061-name_page.html

Mike.

merde

`DIC have pulled out of the Liverpool deal...

mike65 wrote:
    DIC pull out of bid! Just heard on BBC five live It looks like they got pissed off by the reaction to the improved Gilette bid

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=lfc--we-re-taking-us-buy-out-bid-seriously&method=full&objectid=18555515&siteid=50061-name_page.html

Mike.

I was expecting some transfer deadline scandal but certainly not this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Its being covered on Sky Sports News as well. This is ridiculous! There must be more to it then that Liverpool wanted a few extra days to look at Gillets offer. DIC have spent months on this, why back out now over something so petty, when they still seemed to be in pole position?

This really ****s up trying to start the new stadium construction by March.

DIC just made a statement saying they have ended negotiations. The deal had been agreed in principal but that the board couldn't ratify it finally and DIC have pulled out.

• Advertisement

STATEMENT FROM DUBAI INTERNATIONAL CAPITAL LLC
    Dubai International Capital LLC (‘DIC’) today announces that it has decided to end negotiations with Liverpool FC & Athletic Grounds plc (“Liverpool”) about a possible investment in the club.
    Having completed due diligence, DIC submitted a comprehensive offer to the Liverpool board. The offer had been accepted in principle by majority shareholder David Moores. It appears that the Liverpool board and the majority shareholder David Moores were unable to approve these terms in order to allow DIC to make a formal offer to all shareholders.
    As part of this negotiation and at the request of the Liverpool board, DIC tabled detailed proposals regarding the financing, construction and delivery of the new stadium for the start of the 2009/10 season. In addition, DIC was also prepared to give assurances regarding funding for new players, at levels above what the club had previously budgeted for. However, despite providing all assurances that were requested of DIC, it appears that the Liverpool board was unable to recommend our proposed offer to the shareholders.
    Sameer Al Ansari, executive chairman and chief executive officer of DIC, said: "We are very disappointed to be making this announcement. DIC is a serious investor with considerable resources at its disposal. At the same time, we are supporters - of the game and of the club. Liverpool's investment requirements have been well publicised and, after a huge amount of work, we proposed a deal that would provide the club with the funds it needs, both on and off the pitch. We were also prepared to offer shareholders a significant premium on the market price of the shares. However, we will not overpay for assets.
    “Liverpool is the most successful football club in English football history. It exists to win things for its supporters. It deserves to be in the hands of people who support it, who understand its history and legend and who share the enthusiasm and passion of its fans. As businessmen, we move on. As fans, we hope that the new owners would share the same vision as we had for LFC and, of course, in realising the new stadium that is so badly needed to ensure the club can continue to compete at the highest level in the Premiership and Europe. I am sure I will be back at Anfield with my family soon to support my team, as I have done so in the last 30-plus years. In the meantime, I wish the manager, the players and everyone connected with the club the best of fortune for the challenges ahead and will make sure that I am there the day they lift the Premiership trophy.”

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

That'll be the ground share back on the cards again by the way.

Makes sense and it's what Gillett wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bluetonic wrote:
    That'll be the ground share back on the cards again by the way.

Makes sense and it's what Gillett wants.

Gillett has since made it clear he has no problems with continuing with the existing stanley park plans and forgetting about the groundshare when he was told it wasnt an option.

Gillette has it in the bag then.

Mike.

so let me get this straight - DIC spent a month conducting due diligence - a process which took Gillett & co 3 days. The board delay their deicision which probably wouldnt have been more than a few days and DIC just up and pull out?

Now either DIC have been told to improve their offer and told LFC to get stuffed, or they really were on a knife edge about the deal and this just sealed it. Or they're just impatient.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement