Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

feck! i'm sure that this will be all over the rags tomorrow mornin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

el rabitos wrote:
    i was going to post on the news earliar....BUT, its pretty funny watching everyone panic about the whole situation.

losing gerrard is a massive loss no doubt, but better teams have won more cups and being more successful without needing a captain or central midfielder thats a local boy

theres better passers of the ball than gerrard, better stikers of the ball (not many better, but a few) and there are players out there that would relish the chance to be a liverpool player and play on that pitch and show loyalty.

gerrards strengths were his ability to lift the team, by making a tackle, jumping up and making another and pushing the team, he was also great for scoring an important goal.

but all of that was mostly at anfield and limited to the major away games.

if gerrard shoes the same desire at chelsea or madrid or wherever he goes i'd be very suprised

liverpool need 11 players that want to win EVERY game, not just the home games where the crowd with eat them alive for ****e performances, and not just big games like champions league matches.

11 players have to want to win EVERY game, just like what chelsea players showed last year, and they didnt pay a penny for that kind of desire.

no player is is bigger than the club. a squad of players with the desire to win every game like chelsea had last season will do us alot better that 1 defender with the desire to win EVERY match, a captain that was in 2 minds about where he wanted to play his football and a bunch of other players going half a$$ the rest of the time

Agree completely. I think this whole Gerrard thing may well be a blessing in disguise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

liverpool should play him in next weeks champions league match - so he can't play for any other team in the competition.

if he doesnt want to play... fine him..

Not a good idea, that would wipe a good £8-10m off his transfer fee, and its just petty. We're above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

alots been mentioned about the going price for gerrard being above 30 million, and that real madrid and chelsea are the only teams able to fund that kind of money.

my thinking on it would be that benitez would be reluctant to take 30 or any massive amount for him. its bad business, because it would leave liverpool paying over the odds for any future transfer target.

i reckon gerrard will be moving to a team, with that team exchanging players and a lump of cash aswell.

this would also open up the market for gerrards transfer, meaning not every team that wants him will need to fork out 30 odd million

just something to be aware of methinks. 30 million would do more harm than good in the transfer market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Chelsea have quite a few players they could exchange.

Gallas
    Huth
    Joe Cole
    Jarosik
    Gudjohnson(although I think he is one of Chelsea's best players)

Real Madrid certainly have lots of young spanish talent that they might give onto Liverpool for Gerrard, and some other talent, even Samuel

Woodgate
    Samuel
    Portillo
    Pavon
    Raul Bravo
    Juanfran
    Soldada

I can't think of any players United or Arsenal would have to exchange, although maybe, doubtful though, United might offer John O'Shea + Smith + 25 mill or something for Gerrard, although I doubt there is any chance of this.
    Still think he'll go abroad though.
    He is a cop legend, and he wants to stay that way.
    If he goes to Real for 3 years, even if he joins United when it returns, it won't matter, he'll be a legend by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

just speculation, but on today fm this morning Paul Collins (sports guy) said he thought duff would be tied up in any deal wit gerrard goin to chelsea..sounds interesting..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

~Rebel~ wrote:
    just speculation, but on today fm this morning Paul Collins (sports guy) said he thought duff would be tied up in any deal wit gerrard goin to chelsea..sounds interesting..!!

Gerrard is not going any were, :D

Oh and TV3 got the rights to the home games for the CL qualifiers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

...tv3?

:( crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Right so Gerrards stayin ( for now ) ... one rumour that won't go away is CROUCH .. now seems £8 M is on the table ... hope this is just tabloid speculation ...

Ya i guess back to transfers. Benitez did make it clear that he didn't need to sell Stevie to fund his transfers so we can still expect a few more and with the fact that stevie is staying, at least 1 big one i expect as thats what he wants more then anything. They must have given him some assurances someone big was coming..(i hope!) And hopefully not big in the 7foot tall crouch sense! christ i cant get my head around the thought of that guy being a liverpool player..and for 8million, please say it aint so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

It looks like you are all going to be disappointed then. Crouchy seems to be on his way.

I wager he will prove you all wrong next season too.

Here is my fiver

Euro%205.jpg

any takers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'd be surprised if Benitez ACTUALLY signs Crouch for £8m. While he would bring a new option and we all know how Benitez likes options (Zenden) - I don't think Bentiez likes throwing away money either. He has been quite shrewd so far - it would be unusual to just splurge then on Crouch.

surely he could be gotten for £6m if they really must have him. Soton said reason they didn't sell to west ham for that much was cause the player was holding out for liverpool to play CL football and earn 8times as much! what were west ham offering him, 2 shiney pennies and a bag of sweeties?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

has anyone else heard that the pol got upson? i just got a text saying we signed him but i cant find it anywhere else on the internet has anyone else seen anything or is this just small talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

As a Villa Fan I might surprise you here but I actually think Crouch is a good player, I remember seeing him against Leeds in a pre-season game in Dublin and he was very good, not just in the air but on the ground as well. However I think 8 million is too high for him when you consider we got Philips for 1.

I also think that if the Pool sign him we might end up watching Alsono hitting 50 yard balls up in the air for him to knock down to Morientes, thats not how Liverpool should play imo. When they were successful they played a great passing game which was great to watch I'd like to see them get back to that.

Just went looking myself, couldn't find anything, would be great though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

tel922001 wrote:
    has anyone else heard that the pol got upson? i just got a text saying we signed him but i cant find it anywhere else on the internet has anyone else seen anything or is this just small talk
    there's a story on teamtalk saying upson is happy where he is

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,1776_558238,00.html

~Rebel~ wrote:
    surely he could be gotten for £6m if they really must have him. Soton said reason they didn't sell to west ham for that much was cause the player was holding out for liverpool to play CL football and earn 8times as much! what were west ham offering him, 2 shiney pennies and a bag of sweeties?!

I believe he is on circa 4k with the saints. how can he possibly live on such a salary?

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    there's a story on teamtalk saying upson is happy where he is

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,1776_558238,00.html

That then surely means that he is unhappy, teamtalk being the steaming pile of schite that it is.

• Advertisement

maybe the upson story is true after all , maybe the offer has been tabled , to be honest i wouldnt mind seen him and jamie c in the back line with sami dropping in and out

http://www.koptalk.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/492212/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

It looks like you are all going to be disappointed then. Crouchy seems to be on his way.

I wager he will prove you all wrong next season too.

Here is my fiver

Euro%205.jpg

any takers?

i'll take your bet!

emile heskey = peter crouch

nice if this is true liverpool have signed figo on a 1 yr deal? i got another text message also saying upson will sign today nice of its all true with either i will be happy

http://www.squarefootball.net/article/inbrief.asp?iid=1100

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kevix78

How about grabbing Saviola on loan...check out the link:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,14546,-5121205,00.html

He's no Aimar - but on a potential season loan - could be worth a gamble..what yez think??

Well Aimars an AMC while Saviola is a striker, and Liverpool don't need anymore strikers now that Kuyt has just about joined up.
    The guy is quality though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

oh where for art though bannor?

bannor, bannor, bannor, bannor, bannor, bannor, bannor, bannor, bannor, bannor - to the tune of nananananananan from batman.

Gerrard has offically wrecked my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Crouch rumour

Crouch to sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

cerbeus wrote:
    Crouch rumour

Crouch to sign

Bannor swore this was just a distraction to keep the Kuyt price down.

If he does sign maybe I can pretend he's someone else? Cheering someone elses name n'all if he scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

just pretend he's an 8 million pound lamp post running about the pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

I believe he is on circa 4k with the saints. how can he possibly live on such a salary?
    And what about the other 99percent of the world living on a lot less thatn that? I'd say i've just about earned 4k this year

dcarroll wrote:
    And what about the other 99percent of the world living on a lot less thatn that?

Is that you Bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

In terms of Crouch, I'm still of the opinion that this would be a poor investment. We have other needs for the 1st team and there must be better players than that.

For example, can you imagine Arsenal playing Crouch, or Chelsea? I cant, and I dont want to think about Crouch being good enough for the Liverpool 1st team at any point. I realise that last season we had many injuries and Morientes was CL-tied, and being top-heavy in forwards this year might be a safety measure, but at the same time, getting Crouch is desperation. I hope its all a posturing ploy.

No word on Baros leaving or Kuyt joining. Is Baros training then?

Redspider

uberwolf wrote:
    Bannor swore this was just a distraction to keep the Kuyt price down.

I think Bannor could have things the wrong way round on this one.

PHB wrote:
    Well Aimars an AMC while Saviola is a striker, and Liverpool don't need anymore strikers now that Kuyt has just about joined up.
    The guy is quality though.

How can you say he is quality? He was Barca's protegee, now they are letting him go. He was very unimpressive with Monaco last season. Does not have the required height or strength to make it at the top level, or does not have anything else to his game, unlike Owen, who has the 'fox in the box' instinct. Mid-division player at best imo.

redspider wrote:
    In terms of Crouch, I'm still of the opinion that this would be a poor investment. We have other needs for the 1st team and there must be better players than that.

For example, can you imagine Arsenal playing Crouch, or Chelsea? I cant, and I dont want to think about Crouch being good enough for the Liverpool 1st team at any point. I realise that last season we had many injuries and Morientes was CL-tied, and being top-heavy in forwards this year might be a safety measure, but at the same time, getting Crouch is desperation. I hope its all a posturing ploy.

No word on Baros leaving or Kuyt joining. Is Baros training then?

Redspider

Baros is training.

Do you totally write off Crouch's chances RS?

As i've said before im not too happy with the whole potential crouch thing, but im just gonna hold my hands up and trust that Rafa knows what he's doing, for he is a far wiser man then I!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

trust Rafa I do but he's had a couple of signings that how you say, were ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Seems himself an Stevie G need to sort a few things out:
    "All the talk of bust-ups is nonsense," Gerrard told the Daily Express.

"We have had a few heated discussions over the last five or six days but my respect for Rafa Benitez has not changed.

"He is one of the best coaches in the world and I understand that he rates me as a player.

"Our relationship is okay but I admit it could be better and that is something I am going to work on.

"I spoke to him in the morning and I am sure we will sit down in the next few days for a chat."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Has Benitez spoken publicly yet - that coupled with what Graham Hunter said(in other thread) would suggest they don't exactly see eye to eye. This is not always a problem but required both to act maturely for it to work.

How can you say he is quality? He was Barca's protegee, now they are letting him go. He was very unimpressive with Monaco last season. Does not have the required height or strength to make it at the top level, or does not have anything else to his game, unlike Owen, who has the 'fox in the box' instinct. Mid-division player at best imo.

He didn't have a bad season last year at Monaco, but he wasn't up to his normal standerds I agree.
    This guy is only 24(if im not mistaken, he might be younger), and he was playing for Barca at age 20. He has serious serious talent, and still holds down a place in the ARgentina side that many expect to challenge for the WC next year.
    If he was signed by Benetiz, I think he was be the 2nd most talented player in the squad, and would regain his form with some proper coaching.
    Thus I hope you guys don't get him :)

PHB wrote:
    If he was signed by Benetiz, I think he was be the 2nd most talented player in the squad, and would regain his form with some proper coaching.
    Thus I hope you guys don't get him :)

2nd most talented? Behind Gerrard? What about Alonso? Garcia? Kewell? Crouch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Gerrard isn't even the most talented midfielder let alone the entire squad.
    Alonso
    Carragher
    are ahead of him

I hope the kewell mention was sarcasm

• Advertisement

Kewell is one of the most talented players in the premiership. He has not performed for liverpool since he signed, bar maybe a handfull when he was excellent (olympiakos & newcastle last season to name two), but for anyone to doubt that he has talent is just lack of nkowledge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Agreed Kewell is a very talented player,
    lets hope he proves us right.

Also, just been told that Figo is having a medical today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

£2m? I thought he was free?

Wouldn't waste that much on him tbh.

Also, just been told that Figo is having a medical today.
    that was yesterday i heard he had his formal meeting with the pool and agreed on talks and would complete a medical today nice to see him there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

PiE wrote:
    £2m? I thought he was free? Wouldn't waste that much on him tbh.
    If it's true that he is joining, I am delighted. Figo will add a wealth of experience to the team. He has been there, done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

New Report on the Liverpool Echo site:

Benitez agrees terms for Figo Jul 7 2005

Exclusive By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL have agreed terms with Portuguese superstar Luis Figo - but the deal is on ice because Real Madrid have suddenly demanded a £2m transfer fee.

Figo secured a verbal agreement with the Spanish giants saying he could leave on a free if he found the right club.

But having concluded negotiations with the Reds, the 32-year-old midfielder is now livid with Real's u-turn. They now want a fee for his services.

Liverpool won't proceed with the transfer if they have to pay the Spanish club.

As the Figo deal faces deadlock, Benitez is edging closer to securing the services of Southampton's Peter Crouch and Valencia's Mohammed Sissoko.

No fee has been agreed with the Saints, but it now seems only a matter of time before the young striker moves to Anfield in a deal worth around £6.5m.

Saints chairman Rupert Lowe is at loggerheads with his player and manager over the negotiations.

Redknapp is realistic about the situation, recognising Crouch has his heart set on the move. The St Mary's boss wants to get on with rebuilding his side with the kitty he'll get.

Lowe, however, continues to increase his valuation of the recently capped international, which has led to the stalemate.

However, Anfield sources say there could be progress on a Crouch deal over the next 24 hours.

In a frantic week off the park, Djimi Traore and Didi Hamann have today penned the deals agreed in the aftermath of the European Cup win.

And goalkeeper Pepe Reina is now free to make his debut at Wrexham on Saturday after receiving international clearance.

Liverpool are also making progress with negotiations regarding Jamie Carragher's future and expect the defender to sign his four-year-contract with skipper Steven Gerrard tomorrow.

"We're delighted to have secured Steven, Djimi and Didi, and now the future of Jamie is at the top of our minds," said chief executive Rick Parry today.

"We're very hopeful this will be sorted out very quickly."

Carragher, Gerrard and Traore will stay at the club until at least 2009, while Hamann has signed a one-year-deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

PiE wrote:
    £2m? I thought he was free?

Wouldn't waste that much on him tbh.

His experiance will stand to liverpool, even though he hasnt played well in the last 2 seasons, its still good to have someone like him on-board. He has some good skills, and the younger players will learn from him...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement