Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

agreed, what pool need is an out and out goal poaching striker. We have enough creaters/second strikers in Kuyt and crouch, we need a player like fowler in his prime, or villa. Wouldnt fancy Torres either, dont think he'd be much of a goal scoring success in the premiership. Good player, but not the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

dont get me wrong, he wouldnt be first on my list of whats needed, he's just the best option for the premiership out of those particular names.

tbh, the field of candidates is pretty limited in terms of what strikers are available for reasonable money, and by strikers i mean a 20+ goal a season striker.

the last best option available in recent memory was taking back owen, but that didnt happen.

there are no options that jump off the page that are english
    the top strikers in spain will cost a small fortune.

anybody got any suggestions as to who would be the best realistic option for a leading striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

KdjaCL wrote:
    Hasnt played in 4 months, wants the same amount of money Ronnie is on (120K pw) has 4ish years left on his deal. Barca have no interest in upping his wages (laporta has done very well to get them making money) so hes now shockingly bitching about the club......He may as well have a for sale sign hanging around his neck with a mobile number on it.
    Even if all those issues weren't sorted by the end of the season, I honestly cannot see Eto'o choosing Liverpool, who will never, ever offer him anything near £120k p/w, over the handful of other clubs who would. That's where I see people getting ahead of themselves. Sure, a few years ago he might have said he wanted to play for Liverpool. But the goalposts have moved for him now and I reckon he'd see a move to us as a step down.

Unless we win the CL again of course, then it's ooooon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

el rabitos wrote:
    anybody got any suggestions as to who would be the best realistic option for a leading striker?
    Darren Bent, or Huntelaar, perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Huntelaar would be an option but Ajax would want big money 15million at least.
    I think Villa would be got for about 20million sterling which would be about €30million euro which no club would turn down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

el rabitos wrote:

We should have gone for Ronaldo. Not the type of player Benitez would buy tho- A bit on the lazy side.But it would have been brilliant.

He scored 2 on his debut for AC Milan. Oh well.

The only other option I suppose would be darren bent, if charlton go down we might get a cut price deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's also 1.7 BILLION rupee's, how could a club turn down such a big number?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It should'nt have to be a 'Marquee Name' signing in my view. I'd be happy if Liverpool signed say Kevin Doyle. This obsession with 20 goals a season is a PITA. I'd sooner 4 players in a squad hit 12-14 goals a season than have 2 that scored big numbers.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

mike65 wrote:
    It should'nt have to be a 'Marquee Name' signing in my view. I'd be happy if Liverpool signed say Kevin Doyle. This obsession with 20 goals a season is a PITA. I'd sooner 4 players in a squad hit 12-14 goals a season than have 2 that scored big numbers.

Mike.

we need 1 top class 20 goal player, we have all ready got 3 10-15 goal strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

We need a creative, goal-scoring wide midfield player, in the mould of Ronaldo, Robben, Ljunberg etc.

I wonder with Hamburg having a nightmare season, will Van Der Vaart be available in the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

I was on Holliers when the club changed hands so I didnt get to see everything that took place but I do remember Gillet promising that we would "Spend, spend, spend" to win the title. Maybe what we would consider an unreasonable amount of money to spend Right Now might be in our range come Summer. Some of the suggestions :

David Villa- Id cream myself if we landed him. I love watching this guy play, the best footballer in Spain. He might not appear to have the physique for England but then neither did Zola. Villa is a great competitor and a hard worker as well as a mighty footballer. Id predict he would be a big hit here.

Gabriel Milito : Werent we interested in him a while ago? Still lashing em in.

Bent - Would be a good signing but I couldnt see him improving the side more than Crouch does right now. Very good in the air, not so hot on the deck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Luca Toni, 92 goals in 132 Serie A games, he's indicated that he may leave at the end of this season. He's big, strong, can bring other players into play and can finish well. I'd say £10-£15 million would prise him from Fiorentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

We need a creative, goal-scoring wide midfield player, in the mould of Ronaldo, Robben, Ljunberg etc.

I wonder with Hamburg having a nightmare season, will Van Der Vaart be available in the summer?

He's not a wide player. He's a player that sits in the hole behind the front one/two.

Besides I was in Berlin 2-3 weeks ago, and saw him play for Hamburg, and he was absolutely rubbish. He did nothing all game, and showed no leadership even though he's captain. The next Cryuff?, Jordi Cryuff maybe.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

anybody got a link or info on Javier starting tonight rumour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

daveym wrote:
    anybody got a link or info on Javier starting tonight rumour?

i dont think he is in the squad

really? just said on radio that he could be starting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Pepe
    Finnan Agger Jamie Riiise
    Arbeloa Xabi Momo Zenden
    Gerrard
    Dirk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He is defo in the squad according to a number of sources. Don't know how much sense it woul make starting him. Although he would feel comfortable enough playing against a spanish opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Raskolnikov Luca Toni will be nearly 31 by the summer will he not? whats the point in spending that much money on someone with only a few years left in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Dr. Nick wrote:
    Pepe
    Finnan Agger Jamie Riiise
    Arbeloa Xabi Momo Zenden
    Gerrard
    Dirk

Oh No! :eek:
    Not Zenden, for the love of god not Zenden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Oh No! :eek:
    Not Zenden, for the love of god not Zenden

Could happen........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

nick is that your guess at th eline up or is it the line up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Dr. Nick wrote:
    Could happen........
    WILL happen. Benitez and his crazy team selections.

I'd rather see Aurelio or Gonzalez, as they have a bit of pace on them so they'd be better for counter-attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Benitez likes to play spanish player or player who've played in spain against european teams, I say we might see Gonzalez in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Slurms wrote:
    WILL happen. Benitez and his crazy team selections.

I'd rather see Aurelio or Gonzalez, as they have a bit of pace on them so they'd be better for counter-attacking.

I'd like to see Gonzalez playing. He hasnt been great in the league but seeing as he did so well in La Liga last year this would seem the ideal game for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Stky10 wrote:
    He's not a wide player. He's a player that sits in the hole behind the front one/two.

Besides I was in Berlin 2-3 weeks ago, and saw him play for Hamburg, and he was absolutely rubbish. He did nothing all game, and showed no leadership even though he's captain. The next Cryuff?, Jordi Cryuff maybe.

one game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

event wrote:
    one game

True... but from what I've read before, dutch commentators reckon he hasn't been the same player since he suffered a knee injury a few years ago. And while I know Hamburg have spent a lot of money over the last couple of years, if he was still that highly regarded, he'd be playing in the english, spanish or italian leagues.

I remember seeing him play for Ajax at 17, and he looked like he had it all. Not any longer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It would make sense to put Gonsalez on. He played against Spanish opposition all last season and put out great performances in these type of matches.

Am going for this myself:

-Finnan
    Carragher
    Agger
    Riise-
    Sissoko
    Alonso

Pennant
    Gerard
    Gonsalez

Crouch/Kuyt

DaBreno wrote:
    Gabriel Milito : Werent we interested in him a while ago? Still lashing em in.

Think you're getting a bit mixed up. yeah Pool were in for Gabriel Milito - the argintinian centerback. You're thinking of Diego Milito, the free scoring center forward. but yeah, he's been very good this season, havent seen him enough to know his style and if he'd be suited to prem.

1st choice if we had unlimited resources; eto'o or villa
    2nd choice; huntelaar - really looks an astonishly good young player.

For tonight, this being Rafa (i.e loving playing guys who are familier with the opposition against them) i could see this possibly.

Reina
    Finnan---Carra---Agger---Riise
    Momo----Alonso
    Arbeloa---Gerard---Gonzalez/Aurelio
    Kuyt

Would love to see Gonzalez play seeing how **** hot he was in Spain, bit dodgy though expecting him to suddenly reproduce that form against the best team in Spain, after a dodgy run in england so far.

Arbeloa has done well against Ronaldinho already so would be ideal to play in the position to try and deny him even getting the ball in the first place, and also able to track back and help Finnan whenever d'inho is in possession.

If that team wasnt working expect to see Crouch on to stand on Puyol, over half a foot taller then him.

• Advertisement

Official Team in full: Reina, Arbeloa, Riise, Agger, Carragher, Finnan, Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Kuyt, Bellamy.

Subs - Dudek, Hyypia, Pennant, Crouch, Gonzalez, Mascherano, Zenden.

Reina
    Finnan--Carra--Agger--Riise
    Momo--Alonso-
    Arbeloa---Gerrard
    Kuyt
    Bellamy

perhaps?

or
    Reina

Finnan--Carra--Agger--Riise

Arbeloa---Momo---Alonso---Gerrard

Bellamy---Kuyt

Happy with myself anyway, almost right - really didnt expect 2 strikers tonight though.

Reina, Arbeloa, Riise, Agger, Carragher, Finnan, Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Kuyt, Bellamy

Subs Dudek, Hyypia, Pennant, Crouch, Gonzalez, Mascherano, Zenden.

Reina
    ---Arbeloa--Carra--Agger
    Finnan
    Riise
    Alonso----Sissoko
    Gerrard
    Bellamy--Kuyt

is my guess

Mike.

I like that team, this'll be the 1st time I'll see Arbeola play. Hope he has a good one.
    And Masch made the bench, expect to see him play at some point.

just curious am i on loads of peoples ignore lists or something..though obviously if i am they wont be seeing this anyway...oh well. Come on the Pool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Hah

Mike is just in automatic mode, dont take it personally!

:D I did'nt refresh the page! Rebel "calm down calm down"

Alan Greene reckons Bellamy on left side! But he said we'll wait and see.

Mike.

• Advertisement

interesting that sky reckon bellamy will play on left, with gerrard off kuyt. they also think finnan will play right mid with arbeloa behind him. 4-4-1-1, sounds like what we would normally do away..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'm shocked he's playing Arbeola. Sounds like a great idea in principle throwing him up against Ronnie again, but it's a massive risk.

Oh well, in Rafa we trust and all that horsesh*t.

2-2.

hee hee.

RTE had same line up, must have been the one we put out, but we
    have lined up nothing like it.

arbeloa behing risse, finnan behind gerrard and bellamy and kuyt up front.

barca look to be playing a very high line, maybe bellamy can get in behind them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PiE wrote:
    Even if all those issues weren't sorted by the end of the season, I honestly cannot see Eto'o choosing Liverpool, who will never, ever offer him anything near £120k p/w, over the handful of other clubs who would. That's where I see people getting ahead of themselves. Sure, a few years ago he might have said he wanted to play for Liverpool. But the goalposts have moved for him now and I reckon he'd see a move to us as a step down.

Unless we win the CL again of course, then it's ooooon.

Sorry its 120k in euros.

kdjac

lucky to be 1-1, arbeola doesn't look comfy at left bag, got pulled across badly for their goal. looks ok as a player just not with the position.

• Advertisement

daveym wrote:
    lucky to be 1-1, arbeola doesn't look comfy at left bag, got pulled across badly for their goal. looks ok as a player just not with the position.

Yeah, he didnt look too confident at all with how much Barca were piling forward. Fairly uncomfortable first 35mins, after that he seemed to settle a bit though, as the game opened up a little. Showed some very nice little touches on the ball and did well against Deco down the right hand byline.

Considering he's on the wrong side and against the best attacking team in the world, he looks promising enough, a step up from the other spate of backup right backs we've had anyway.

Good result. We were completely outplayed in the 1st half but we picked it up in the 2nd.

Home Momo is not injured badly, was hoping Masch would come on for him.

Roll on Anfield, just gotta keep our heads down and get a nice shut-out.

Slurms wrote:
    Good result. We were completely outplayed in the 1st half but we picked it up in the 2nd.

Home Momo is not injured badly, was hoping Masch would come on for him.

Roll on Anfield, just gotta keep our heads down and get a nice shut-out.

bloody fantastic more like!
    i have a feeling this week is going to be a complete turnaround from
    the last rugby weekend! instead of 2 bad results, 2 great ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Anyone think the golfing trips to portugal should become a regular thing? :D

oh yeah forgot to say I loved Bellamys goal celebration. Had me laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Great result. Watched it with a load of Catalan Barca fans and they said that we were the better team and deserved the win. There was a 20 mins spell in the first half where I was very worried. Played very well in the second half. I'm proud of the team tonight.

great result. terrible start to the game though, nobody wanted the ball, seemed very nervous. i would have liked the team to start with a high tempo and give barca something to think about.

looked great in the second half, if the team really gets the bit between their teeth again they could be very difficult to stop in this competition.

Odds slashed from 33/1 to 7/1 after 90 mins of football!

Mike.

suprised to see the odds were so long in the first place tbh

Everyone thought "its Barca - they're finished!"

I wonder if Momos knock is serious, if it is then Masca may be playing sooner than he thought.

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement