Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

mike65 wrote:
    Everyone thought "its Barca - they're finished!"

I wonder if Momos knock is serious, if it is then Masca may be playing sooner than he thought.

Mike.
    Hey ya Mike, just wondering if Mascherano has only become Masca since he joined the Pool. Like were you calling him Masca a month ago when he was at West Ham?

I only ask as I'm a Utd supporter and used to call Veron, Seba when he was with us. However when he left I dropped the Seba and replaced it with cnut. Nicknames for me are only for players close to my heart.

You too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nah with me its a question of which is easier to spell! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry I didn't see the match, did Gerrard play right wing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

PHB wrote:
    Sorry I didn't see the match, did Gerrard play right wing?

He did for the first 35 minutes then seemed to float in more. More influence as the game went on. Momo played in every position in midfield. He was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Fabulous stuff, much like Ireland v France in the rugger(without the result). A gutsy, dogged performance to outgun a more powerful opponent. There was a great resolve about us tonight, much more than Barca. Lets hope their problems continue.
    Shame about Dirks miss, 1-3 would have seen us through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Barcelona 1-2 Liverpool

A very good result for Liverpool which gives them a one goal advantage and two away goals in the tie. Rafa must be reading boards.ie as he played a good 4-4-2 formation which offered a threat in attack:

Reina
    Finnan - Carragher - Agger - Arbeloa
    Gerrard - Alonso - Sissoko - Riise
    ---- Kuyt
    Bellamy

The only surprise for me was the selection of Arbeloa. Indeed, my worst fears were realised when he had a poor position for Barca's first goal. To be fair to him, he played okay at times and he may turn out to be a okay player in the long-term. Putting him in for tonights match was a gamble. Riise was certainly a good help.

Likewise Gerrard on the right was a useful help for Finnan. Gerrard kept coming into the centre of the park though which is what he was used to doing in recent months anyway.

Liverpool had an early chance from Riise and they should have probably scored from that. Barca were also much in control after the first goal. But the equaliser was fully deserved. Whether over the line or not, Valdes clearky thought that it was as he vainly had to try and shove it out, and the linesman had already given it.

Kuyt should have scored from his header, and again when put through, only for Bellamy to very intelligently lay it across to Riise who finished in Riise-style.

People may say that there are problems at Barca, and there are, but with Messi back to his jinking best, and with Deco playing well, Ronaldinho too, Barca were a handful.

The tie is by no means over, but its clearly advantage to Liverpool. If Barca do get the first goal in the return leg, it may be a difficult night.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

well done Liverpool...a good match and a great peformance. I hope all British sides go through, would make for very interesting quarters and semis. Liverpool deserved to win well, just hope they dont slip up in Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Spanish Director did a great job after Riise's goal, showing the faces of the Baca 'big' names one after the other. Priceless.

He obviously isn't a Catalan....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

redspider wrote:
    The only surprise for me was the selection of Arbeloa. Indeed, my worst fears were realised when he had a poor position for Barca's first goal. To be fair to him, he played okay at times and he may turn out to be a okay player in the long-term.

Slightly harsh?. For his first start, playing against the reigning champions in their own back yard, when he's being played out of position, up against the wunderkid of Messi, and probably doesn't speak the same language as any of the rest of the back four, I thought he did pretty well.

You can argue that he was slightly out of position for the goal, but Gerrard should have done much better against Zambrotta to cut it out, and it was a peach of a cross and a peach of a header from the wee man.

Momo did well tackling, but his passing and first touch were beyond parody. Kuyt was pretty brutal. He's got very good reviews, but I don't think he'll ever develop into the player we need him to be. Agger needs to cop himself on over the way he tried to play too much football, and gave away that silly free kick when he fell over late on. Reina was lucky with some of the crosses late on that he made a mess of.

Top performance overall though. The return match should be very interesting, its far from over as some people think.

BTW, is it just me, or was Dunphy talking even more rubbish than normal last night?. Valdes the best goalie in Spain?. I doubt he's even the best in Barcelona.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I was at the match last night, it was brilliant!

CArragher was excellent, as was Sissoko (anyone got an update on his injury?)

I was sitting beside a Barca fan who was telling me before the game "Sissoko no good, he was no good at Valencia", I told him he was a great player in the premiership. He didnt believe me until the match was over and then he said he was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Stky10 wrote:
    Slightly harsh?. For his first start, playing against the reigning champions in their own back yard, when he's being played out of position, up against the wunderkid of Messi, and probably doesn't speak the same language as any of the rest of the back four, I thought he did pretty well.

Defo far far too harsh from redspider tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ye thought Kuyt played very poorly last night - not his usual self. when he got booked he should have come off and given crouch a run. Great result though, will hopefully make an effect on our mini slump!

i wonder will we go back to our 4-3-3 for Sheff united with crouch starting on sat?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Defo far far too harsh from redspider tbh.

didn't think so myself, he was badly out of position for the goal, got pulled in beside the centre halfs for no reason. otherwise he did ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

true he should have been better positioned for the goal but his general reading of the play was very good and he did well considering he was out of position in a new team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

I think Sissoko has proved his worth, excellent player, I don't think I've seen him play a bad game. Though his passing could be better as pointed out on RTE last night.

Glad to see Bellers not adversely affected by what happened in Portugal, by the way, get yours now...http://www.tshirts365.com/sportshop/productpage/1,17576,7582_10063_1662943,00.html?productid=275783

• Advertisement

Dunphy was slating Valdes last I heard (ie last night). Maybe you mis-heard him.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

nah, he definitely said last night valdes was the best keeper in spain and "a great keeper".

i laughed tbh, he completely slated him throughout their entire run to the final last year

valdes is a good keeper, but there are at least 2 better spanish keepers right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

I really laugh at anyone criticising arbeloa for the goal. If you actually watch the build up he covered saviola's run as agger wasn't picking him up. Deco ran from the half way line and riisse trotted after him and even stopped running at one stage. If he had made the effort to chase him he would have got him. Riise at fault for the goal and noone else.

Gerrard was the guilty party really, the cross should never have arrived.

Momo is apparently not too bad, proberly get the weekend off though, it might be good game to play the new boy.

The Daily Mail say Liverpool paid 10 million to buy his contract out and that covers only the next 18 months! V strange

Mike.

rondeco wrote:
    I really laugh at anyone criticising arbeloa for the goal. If you actually watch the build up he covered saviola's run as agger wasn't picking him up. Deco ran from the half way line and riisse trotted after him and even stopped running at one stage. If he had made the effort to chase him he would have got him. Riise at fault for the goal and noone else.

rubbish, he should have drifted back out to cover his position once the ball went to our right, he had loads of time to do so and ended up covering nothing. I think this i purely because he wasn't used to the position.

I really laugh at your opinion too, so at least we are on the same page there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Agree with everyone that Sissoko was great. Never let Barca play in the middle of the field, and he was the prime reason both Xavi and Motta were dragged off. He'd be a huge loss in the return leg (and against the mancs next week) if he's not fit.

Yes, Arbeloa was partly as fault for the goal (along with Gerrard and Riise - any of the three could have prevented, all failed) but I thought he improved as the game went on, and he'd a really good second half including a great block late on which saved a certain goal. A promising full debut in my opinion, but either way you can't read too much into one game.

I thought Kuyt was Shuyt. No question in my mind that Bellamy is head and shoulders the best striker at Anfield. He should play every game and rotate the sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Sissoko has a very limited appeal as far as I'm concerned. He has amazing stamina. That's about it. He is the worst passer in the team by quite a bit.

I'm not convinced to be honest.

I still don't know if Mascherano will start on Saturday in Sissoko's absence. Gerrard might be put back in the centre. I would like to see Mascherano though. Match is live on Setanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

el rabitos wrote:
    nah, he definitely said last night valdes was the best keeper in spain and "a great keeper".

i laughed tbh, he completely slated him throughout their entire run to the final last year

Thats Eamon all over, a man who regularly contradicts his own crap analysis .
    I thought Kuyt was Shuyt. No question in my mind that Bellamy is head and shoulders the best striker at Anfield. He should play every game and rotate the sticks.

Id be surprised if we retain Bellamy at the end of the season. Not because of the golf antics but Im disappointed at the impact he has at the club so far. Kuyt is a far better footballer and scores a lot more too. That said, he does miss some absolute sitters which is why were all hoping Rafa can buy a 25-goals-a-season man.
    Reactor wrote:
    Sissoko has a very limited appeal as far as I'm concerned. He has amazing stamina. That's about it. He is the worst passer in the team by quite a bit.

We just cant do without him now in the Premiership. His industry and work rate is amazing and he rarely comes out second best in a tackle. Granted, his passing is poor but hopefully thats something that can be corrected in time. I believe he can do for us what Viera did for Arsenal. Unless of course, Mashcerano beats him too it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

daveym wrote:
    rubbish, he should have drifted back out to cover his position once the ball went to our right, he had loads of time to do so and ended up covering nothing. I think this i purely because he wasn't used to the position.

I really laugh at your opinion too, so at least we are on the same page there.

Watch it again daveym and then tell me that i'm wrong. Here's the link to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NoX2eaBrYo

Watch at the start the positioning of messi deco and saviola. Watch as agger goes with saviola and arbeloa tracks the run of messi. Watch as riise trots after deco and sprints when the ball is crossed. Then come back here and tell me that arbeloa is at faulkt and that you are 100% right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

No way that Arbeloa was to blame for that goal. Thankfully Riise made up for his mistake by sticking one at the other end.

rondeco wrote:
    Watch it again daveym and then tell me that i'm wrong. Here's the link to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NoX2eaBrYo

Watch at the start the positioning of messi deco and saviola. Watch as agger goes with saviola and arbeloa tracks the run of messi. Watch as riise trots after deco and sprints when the ball is crossed. Then come back here and tell me that arbeloa is at faulkt and that you are 100% right.

cheers for the link.

You are prob not going to be happy but I have watched it and still think I am right. Agger doesn't 'go' with saviola, he looks like he will and then doesn't he holds the shape, He had the cross to Messi covered. Arbeloa tracks messi all the way to Agger. He doesn't need to, the danger is behind him. He ends up halway between Messi and Deco covering no-one. It's terrible positioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

daveym wrote:

You are prob not going to be happy but I have watched it and still think I am right. Agger doesn't 'go' with saviola, he looks like he will and then doesn't he holds the shape, He had the cross to Messi covered. Arbeloa tracks messi all the way to Agger. He doesn't need to, the danger is behind him. He ends up halway between Messi and Deco covering no-one. It's terrible positioning.

i think it looks like agger was gonna get drawn out and arbeloa felt he had to go. Agger does recover but i'm not sure how aware he was of the player (saviola?) behind him until he cuts in front at the very end, Agger just seemed to be going through the motions And by the time Agger does recover Arbelo already commited to coming across and the space was made. Also, Deco's a midfielder, not really a defenders responsibility to begin with, Rise was aware of the run of Deco from midfield, seemed to aware that arbelo had gone across leaving a gap but only makes an effort when it became obvious where the cross was gonna go. For me Rise takes the bulk of the blame for not coming back when really he was the only person on the pitch who could have rectified that situation. maybe a simplistic analysis, but it's what i feel.

although that was a really poor tackled by Gerrard, and he could have easily stopped the move. so Gerrard for not getting tackle in, Rise for not coming back when he spotted the run.

Jasus lads, Liverpool won!

Miike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mike65 wrote:
    Jasus lads, Liverpool won!

Miike.

another leg left. could easily be exploited like that again if they're not careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Arbeola was ball watching and failed to see the danger around him.
    Riise was too lazy in his attmpt to track Deco.
    Gerrard should never have let the cross come in.

Any of the three could and should have prevented the goal.

Good news is that Sissoko is available to play today but may be left out anyway.
    I'd love to see Mascherano get a start, but I'd bet on UselessHole Zenden getting the start ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Good news is that Sissoko is available to play today but may be left out anyway.
    I'd love to see Mascherano get a start, but I'd bet on UselessHole Zenden getting the start ahead of him.

If Rafa opts for a standard 4-4-2 setup I'd say it's more likely that Gerrard will slot back into the center with Pennant returning on the right. I expect Mascherano to make an appearance but probably not from the start. I wouldn't be too surprised to see 3 across the back though with Arbeloa maybe getting the nod on the right ahead of Finnan/Pennant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

zing wrote:
    If Rafa opts for a standard 4-4-2 setup I'd say it's more likely that Gerrard will slot back into the center with Pennant returning on the right. I expect Mascherano to make an appearance but probably not from the start. I wouldn't be too surprised to see 3 across the back though with Arbeloa maybe getting the nod on the right ahead of Finnan/Pennant.

Yeah I'd say so. Pennant has being doing better lately so I'd say he'll get a game today. They'll probably try and play Arbeloa again so he gets used to the team and system. And not having played at all recently, I'd doubt they'll start with Mascherano.

http://www.confguide.com/newsArticle.do?id=5651

http://sport.scotsman.com/football.cfm?id=294842007

Early team news Reina not playing, Hyypia starting apparently (Finnish source). No Bellamy either. Crouch and Kuyt I suppose. I was sure Kuyt would be dropped for today.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

Team named according to liverpoolfc.tv

EDIT clashed with GALWAYDUDE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

team today

Dudek
    Finnan
    Hyypia
    Carragher
    Riise
    Pennant
    Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Gonzalez
    Crouch
    Fowler

Subs:
    Padelli
    Agger
    Alonso
    Sissoko
    Kuyt

Looking forward to the game , thank god setanta sports here in the states show liverpool every liverpool game.

Me too! :D

Dudek
    Finnan--Hyypia---Carra---Riise
    Pennant-Gerrard-Mascherano-Gonzalez
    Crouch-Fowler

Subs:
    Padelli
    Agger
    Alonso
    Sissoko
    Kuyt

Thats a er lightweight attack.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Wtf Dudek? Is Reina injured? We don't have another game til next weekend, why has he changed the squad so much? I was pretty dang confident of an easy win before I saw that lineup, but now I'm slightly worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

His wife went in labour. 4-0 to Shef.

PiE wrote:
    Wtf Dudek? Is Reina injured?

Must be something up as he's not even on the bench. Surprised by Mascherano and Fowler starting but the rest make sense. Then again Rafa probably has one eye on Utd next weekend so you can understand him resting some players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

RasTa wrote:
    His wife went in labour.
    Ah, fair enough. Suppose she should be thanked for deciding to drop today rather than next Sat or Tues.

zing wrote:
    Must be something up as he's not even on the bench.

His wife/partner is in labour apparently and he's with her. Very inconsiderate of his soon to be new born to decide to get the ball rolling on match day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zing wrote:
    His wife/partner is in labour apparently and he's with her. Very inconsiderate of his soon to be new born to decide to get the ball rolling on match day :D

Im putting money on it being a girl so, purely based on timing.

2 up with 2 pens by fowler, good start with nearly a totally changed side..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

442 I assume?

How'd we play today anyway?
    4-0 seems pretty comprehensive. :)

Yep it was regulation formation. Just a shock to see Crouch/Fowler start. Is Bellamy getting punished or merely protected for the Utd game.

Pool were quiet enough in the first half, both the penos were stupidly conceeded and well taken by Fowler who missed a glorious chance for his hat-trick late on. Hyppia had loads of possession in midfield and scored just inside the area. Mascherano was very quiet early on but looking like Didi Mk 2 by the end. Gerrard got the last after a lovely move from back to front with Kuyt doing one of his one touch layoffs to Fowler (if I recall) who teed up the captain to score, then Gerrard went off. Oh yes, Penant after a few lazy touches early on, had a pretty good game with some nice one-twos.

edit (again) Crouchino got a foot in the face and was fairly dazed and was subbed after 15 mins he has a 'busted dose'.

edit (again again) Dudek had a good game.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

we played well in patches. not much effort required to be honest.

still too much long ball nonsense, which resulted in nothing, and most times we played it on the ground we looked good.

Mascherano had a good game. He's like Sissoko only he can pass. Actually, he had a bit of a Didi Hamman game.

Gonzalez and Pennant (especially Pennant) both looked good. Could be down somewhat to poor opposition though. Fowler was wasteful (apart from the penos obviously).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Good goal from Gerrard but Sheff Utd were poor.

Still you can only beat whats in front of you.

This and the midweek result should have confidence high for the Utd game. Fancy our chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Eto'o starts tonight against Bilbao, so will be very interesting to see how he gets on. Fingers crossed he looks sluggish! He looks emotional anyway, going around hugging the whole team practically!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Barca 1-0 up, looked like Eto'o's goal at first glance, but was actually an OG

<Edit> 2-0, Eto'o sets up Xavi

<EDIT> 3-0, Guess what? Eto'o scored. Typical eto'o goal, outpaced the defender and slotted it past the keeper. Im afraid this is the last i can watch of the match, have to head. If it continues like this though, the champions league tie is definitely not a certainty, Barca look a totally different team with Eto'o spearheading them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Bilbao aint no liverpool though. If liverpool want to hold on to the lead they definitely can. Something cynical and ultra defensive like finnan, carragher, agger, hypia, and arbeola at the back, with sissoko and mascherano at centre midfield, with Gerrard playing behind Kuyt and Bellamy, would be almost impossible to break down. although if anyone's gonna do, it's barcelona.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement