Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Now we seem to be after Sissoko, i'd be pleased with this one
    Reds out to hijack Sissoko transfer Jul 7 2005
    By David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL are set to hijack Everton's swoop for Mali midfielder Mohammed Sissoko.

And in a crushing double blow for the Blues, Craig Bellamy has agreed to sign for Blackburn.

The Reds made an offer for Sissoko last night, after boss Rafa Benitez was alerted by Everton's interest in a player he had under his wing at Valencia. And the Blues fear that they could now miss out.

They also look set to miss out on Bellamy, who has agreed a flexible one-year deal with Blackburn - which allows him a getout clause if he is not happy with Rovers' progress at the end of the season.

Given the terms of the transfer, the Blues may not be too disappointed to miss out on the striker. But boss David Moyes will be devastated to lose Sissoko to the Reds.

The Blues thought they had a 5m euro deal wrapped up early this week. But Liverpool's interest has caused the player and his club to think again.

Everton still hope they can persuade both Sissoko and Italian left-back Emiliano Moretti to move to Goodison. But they will now have to rely on Moyes persuading the player that his opportunities for first team football would be much greater at Goodison than Anfield.

Benitez brought Sissoko to Spain from Auxerre as a teenager, paying a 1m euro compensation fee. And he has tracked his progress since he became Liverpool boss last summer.

A highly versatile performer who has played up front for Mali and right-back much of last season, Sissoko is rated as one of the most promising midfield talents in Europe and is still only 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

tel922001 wrote:
    that was yesterday i heard he had his formal meeting with the pool and agreed on talks and would complete a medical today nice to see him there

EH? Your saying the medical was yesterday but he will complete a medical today?

Anyway, i think he still has a lot to offer, with the world cup next year and his place in the portugese squad not certain we could see a good season from him. As i have said before, he is a set-piece expert, something we have been lacking for the last two seasons. With Crouchy up front and Figo landing crosses on his noggin! Happy days.

Also, even though Figo has had a medical word is that Perez is not too happy with this and has never said that Figo is going anywhere, the only person that has said that is the player himself. Still not 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would love to have Figo at the pool. Always been a massive fan and even still despite his ageing legs i think his experience would be massive. Im quite sure he could still skin most prem defenders! He actually seems like a pretty down to earth guy, organises big charity games every year and has loads of time for the fans. even if he didn't play much i stil think it would be worth it for him to bring on players like nunez (who he already knows from real) and gonzalez and is definately a different option to use as Midget said with his skill and crossing. even still he always sets up loads of goals for real.

This from Skysports.com
    Liverpool are reportedly closing in on the signature of Luis Figo.

The Real Madrid winger is said to have held talks with Rafa Benitez this week and a deal is being thrashed out in a bid to bring the Portugal international to Anfield.

Benitez wants to add a touch of class to his UEFA Champions League-winning squad and has been alerted to Figo's availability.

Much could hinge on whether Real demand a fee for a player whose salary demands are known to be at the top end of the market.

The 32-year-old was also targeted by Newcastle United but that bid stalled and there has been other interest in the experienced former Barcelona man from across the globe.

Benitez has been busy reshaping his squad ahead of the new season and was buoyed by Steven Gerrard's U-turn this week with the Anfield skipper set to sign a new deal at the club.

It is believed that a lot of negotiating will still need to take place in order to secure Figo's signature but Liverpool seem to be stepping up their chase for the talented wide man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i'm not too entusuastic about figo, i think he has alot to prove....and taking a wage cut would be a nice show of his intentions. as in not looking for money and more interested in proving he still has it at top level football.

having said that, i think figo as a goalkeeper would do more for us than crouch as a striker

after the past weeks incidents, friday seems like it should be a good day to be a liverpool fan, players signing new contracts and 2 or 3 new signings....but i'll be dissapointed if one of those signings is not a good centre back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i see didi, djimi and jamie have "signed on" according to http://www.thisisanfield.com/news0506/00000022.php

i was hoping they meant djimi signed on the doll, he's bleedin useless!

Figo will be a nice addition, and if he is useless we can just get rid of him at the end of the season.

el rabitos wrote:
    but i'll be dissapointed if one of those signings is not a good centre back.

Milito ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

EH? Your saying the medical was yesterday but he will complete a medical today?

Anyway, i think he still has a lot to offer, with the world cup next year and his place in the portugese squad not certain we could see a good season from him. As i have said before, he is a set-piece expert, something we have been lacking for the last two seasons. With Crouchy up front and Figo landing crosses on his noggin! Happy days.

Also, even though Figo has had a medical word is that Perez is not too happy with this and has never said that Figo is going anywhere, the only person that has said that is the player himself. Still not 100%.
    no midget yesterday i posted on figo i got a text saying he was in talks with liverpool on tuesday nite and his medical was yesterday if u go back to wednesdays posts u will see what i wrote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

el rabitos wrote:
    i'm not too entusuastic about figo, i think he has alot to prove....
    :rolleyes:

Just put up on Sky Sports site:

The agent of Mohammed Sissoko has told skysports.com that the midfielder is poised to complete his move to Everton. Jose Segui revealed that an €8 million (£5 million) fee has been agreed between the two sides and that the finishing touches are now being put to the transfer.

"There are only some small details to resolve and then the medical of the player." Segui also revealed that there would be no 'buy-back' clause in the transfer and dismissed claims that Liverpool had made a late bid to hijack the deal. Reds boss Rafa Benitez signed Sissoko for Valencia from Auxerre in the summer of 2003 and remains a fan of the powerful midfielder who has drawn comparisons with Patrick Vieira. However, Segui insists Benitez has not jumped in with a late offer to lure the player to Anfield.

"Liverpool and Benitez have asked about the player's situation in the past, but have not made a proposition," he continued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

according to those in the know, figo is nailed on and either ibanez or upson is to be unveiled as our new centre back

there is also a strong possibility (now even stronger that stevie is staying) that A Mr M Owen will be back at anfield before august, if that happens the crouch deal is most definately off and probably why it has dragged on

im praying for an owen return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Cyrus wrote:
    there is also a strong possibility (now even stronger that stevie is staying) that A Mr M Owen will be back at anfield before august, if that happens the crouch deal is most definately off and probably why it has dragged on

im praying for an owen return

No Surely not ... he'd be mad to return ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i think the fact rafa doesnt like him wont help. ALso the fans aswell. PErsonnally i never want to see owen in a liverpool shirt ever again.

Madrid are now asking for 2mil, something tells me this might be to do with sour grapes over gerrard deciding to stay.

I remeber bannor posting about a poosible move for upson ages ago, only a year left on his contract. Great signing if it happens.

I can think of much better ways to spent 8mil then buying crouch, we'll see what happens though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

And so the Figo deal is agreed.

Cyrus wrote:
    how so?

He left the club to win medals ... going back to them after missing out on the biggest medal of them all would be IMO very tough ; even for the most mentally strong player ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

not yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

jesus my source of info has come up trumps with the figo deal and i also heard that upson has had talks with the pool, his price wasnt the issue its the fact steve bruce doesnt want to let him go

somebody wants Nunez...Somebody Wants Nunez!!!

Celta Vigo to be precise. Cant see him getting his game this year to be honest, maybe a loan deal away and if he doesn't do something good, sell. Its not like he can drop in value anymore..

source: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=290136&cpid=8&CLID=14&lid=&title=Vigo+eye+Nunez+swoop&channel=football_home

I'm interested in this kid Gonzalez who's signed from Albecete ... anyone know anything about him ... could he be a ronaldo(man u's) type player for pool ... His nickname @ albacete was "Speedy" as in "Speedy Gonzalez" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

supposed to be a fast version of beckham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Crouch: Southampton are hoping for a bid of 8m for him. I hope Liverpool dont do that, that is a waste of money imo. I dont know his salary but I would only value him in a transfer at 2m at most, and alas Liverpool have already bid well over that at the moment.

Baros: strong hints that he is staying now, at least until the Jan window unless something happens in terms of Kuyt coming in before the window closes in early Sep.

Gonzalez: have read that he has some pace, but know nothing about him. Does anyone have any detailed stats or video on him and his career so far? Gonzalez is sidelined until the autumn/Nov with a ligament injury he suffered in the Primera Liga.

Figo: Liverpool have agreed personal terms for him. Its probably a 2 yr deal as he is 32. And they expected him on a free. Real's asking for the 2m is probably a deal breaker. Figo is costing Real 4.5m a year, so this is a point of principal by Perez rather than anything else perhaps. Maybe the clubs will agree on an undisclosed fee. Given the lack of other players coming to the club so far in terms of a big signing, Figo could be seen as a Litmanen-like type of signing. I hope Benitez doesnt expect him to do too much running on the wings, some running perhaps but he doesnt have the speed or stamina of a Duff. Any chance of Liverpool giving Kewell to them in a free swap? (They did give us Nunez after all!)

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Gerrard is becoming more humble. This is a sign that he is growing up before our eyes:
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW8517050708-0930.htm

Gerrard: "I don't think [Benitez] has seen the best of me. There were times last season when I wasn't happy with my performances. Things were on my mind."

You can say that again Stevie. You were sleeping on the pitch at times, perhaps dreaming of playing in a blue shirt, drinking on yachts in Monaco owned by Abramovich, and also all the lolly, premiership titles (perhaps) and perhaps a CL and other cups.

A motivated Gerrard will be a better Gerrard imo, and should help Liverpool in those all important away games in the league, secure 4th

By the way, if Figo comes, whats the betting that he will get injured after a few weeks?

I dont know much about Gonzalez, other then that he was widely seen as the shining light of Albecete's bad season. Seems to have really emerged last season as a real quality player with tonnes of skill and is apparantly ultra fast. I've seen a few of his goals on highlight shows but thats it, though from the lengths Rafa has gone to be sure he gets him this year, (perhaps because he suspects would be much more expensive next year?) I think we may be witnessing the birth of a star! Or else he'll turn out to be the long lost brother of Antonio Nunez. Lets just hope for the former!

Tauren wrote:
    supposed to be a fast version of beckham.
    Are you calling David slow? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

redspider wrote:
    Crouch: Southampton are hoping for a bid of 8m for him.

I cant believe these Crouch rumours wont go away and now they are looking for £8m.
    I really hope they dont pay that for him because that is just far too much money. Harry Redknapp would be laughing himself to sleep for years about it if he sold him for that much. I mean Phillips went for £1m and he is a far better striker

yom 1 wrote:
    I mean Phillips went for £1m and he is a far better striker
    I don't think the stats prove that.
    2004-05 Season:
    _______________________Phillips_____________Crouch_______

Minutes played
    __________2085_______________1813________
    Goals____________________10_________________12_________
    Minutes per goal_________208.5_______________151________

The main reason that Phillips went for £1m is that he turns 32 in a couple of weeks. Crouch is only 24 in comparison and his value would have increased since he won his first senior English cap. Personally, I don't think he is worth £8m but if we got him for under £6m I don't think that would be bad business.

its not all about stats lads, anyone with a tv can see crouch is a stocking

Gerrard and Carra put pen to paper ... saga ends (for now)
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N149283050708-1304.htm

• Advertisement

VinnyL wrote:
    its not all about stats lads, anyone with a tv can see crouch is a stocking
    I know I'm in the minority here but I honestly don't think he would be a bad addition. We'll see ...if we get him.

i dont want him to sign, but if he does then i hope he does turn out to be brilliant, d with any signing. i just donnt think he will though! ;)

i'm surprised benitez likes crouch, he doesnt seem to me like the type of player benitez usually likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

2009? That gives us a whopping 2 whole seasons before it all starts again.

I have my doubts about Crouch but if he signs I'll give him a season to prove me wrong ... If he starts off well ye never know ... he could be the new niall quinn :p

Shamrok wrote:
    I don't think the stats prove that.
    2004-05 Season:
    _______________________Phillips_____________Crouch_______

Minutes played
    __________2085_______________1813________
    Goals____________________10_________________12_________
    Minutes per goal_________208.5_______________151________

The main reason that Phillips went for £1m is that he turns 32 in a couple of weeks. Crouch is only 24 in comparison and his value would have increased since he won his first senior English cap. Personally, I don't think he is worth £8m but if we got him for under £6m I don't think that would be bad business.

I was really saying that Phillips is overall a better player, better touch, awareness, skill, technique and more importantly better in front goal. I understand that Phillips is 32 so age has something to do with it, but not £7m. The fact that Crouch played a bit-part in a mickey mouse game for England in a money spinning trip to america does not add value to him.

I do think he mite come in handy for away games against teams scrapping for points to avoid relegation by just hoofing the ball up to him in the last few mins, but not for £8m.

yom 1 wrote:
    I was really saying that Phillips is ... better in front goal.
    Sorry, to repeat myself but if this were true would he not have scored more than Crouch last season? This should be all the more clear as they were playing on the same team.
    yom 1 wrote:
    The fact that Crouch played a bit-part in a mickey mouse game for England in a money spinning trip to america does not add value to him.
    Everytime a player wins his first senior cap the value/price of the player rises.
    yom 1 wrote:
    I do think he mite come in handy for away games against teams scrapping for points to avoid relegation by just hoofing the ball up to him in the last few mins, but not for £8m.
    I agree with you. I said in my post £8m would be too much.
    LizardKing wrote:
    Or Jan Koller

• Advertisement

Shamrok wrote:
    Or Jan Koller

Who linked up very well with Baros ... I see your point ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

I though Liverpool were interested in Andy Johnson? Has all that talk dies down now?

Biggest signings of the summer:

Linkage.

Parry: Here is your new contract jamie

Carra: Where do i sign boss?

No messing with the man.

Linkage.

Parry: Here is your new contract jamie

Carra: Where do i sign boss?

No messing with the man.

yea you gotta respect carra! just gets the job done, no messing, like he is on the pitch!

absolute legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Linkage.

"I spoke to the manager and players and apologised to them for all the speculation that has been going on."

Very happy to read this from Gerrard.
    Shows some maturity and that he seems to have gotten his head straight.

• Advertisement

its friday at 15:15, wheres all these "signings before friday" benitez promised us? or did i pick it up wrong??!

dammit you're right, guess he tried to pull a fast one! or do carra and stevie count as "new signings?" was expecting Figo, a central defender and a striker..

VinnyL wrote:
    its friday at 15:15, wheres all these "signings before friday" benitez promised us? or did i pick it up wrong??!

I was thinkin that myself but then I thought that with the fact the stevie and carra were signing today maybe he thought it would take the focus away from the new signings and decided that next monday will do fine considering there is a match tomorrow so he wont be announcing players then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

http://www.soccercastle.com/Main.aspx

for people who want a look at Gonzalez

thats a great website Woodyg

Thanks

wow that one he scores that slisted as Mark Gonzales is unreal! be nice to have another player who can head the ball (so it seems from 2 of those clips anyway), am really looking forward to this lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

i only noticed now Igor Biscan is ion the Top 5 Goals of the Season.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

All the top 10 goals of the month are from Liverpool players... clearly an unbiased userbase :)

Gerrards goal against Middlesbrough is still amazing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Rick Parry has just been on SSN saying the Crouch transfer will not happen

:D:D !!brilliant!! :D:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement