Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Waster wrote:
    Don't think that's right. Bolton Evening news said he was the clubs record signing but the previous record was around £3.75m.

Yeah?. For a striker to score 6 goals in 80 games for us, and to have such a bad reputation around the club, I wouldn't have thought we'd have got that much for him. Good man Rick Parry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool - Man Utd build up.

If (!) he plays Saturday will see Steve Finnan make his 400th appearance in professional football. Well done lad, his seen off allcomers so far and should be safe for the rest of the year.

I think Javier will get a go with Momo sitting this one out for Barca game.
    Bellamy/Kuyt to start and just maybe Gerrard on the right/ish with Riise on the left.

Mike.

This thread is the most viewed in boards history!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/topthread.jpg

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Nice one,well done all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mike, as a matter of curiosity, how many posts have you contributed to this thread?

If im on 213, i bet yours is something truly obscene!

I think Rafa would love a 20goals in the league man, but only at the right price. He did try for Villa in his first season here after all. He's already shown he's not one to be made a fool of on price, so id say the most likely would be Tevez maybe, Ashton, Yakubu or a gamble on another foreigner. Bent is just too overpriced really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Click on the number in the replies column.

He's on 473.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

(I'm on 176 - I didnt realise it was that many).

In terms of the 20-goals a season striker discussion, I think in some ways there is too much emphasis in football on who actually gets the last touch and is awarded a goal. Also, penalties dont tend to get discounted out of those top scorer stats. To me, penalties shouldnt be assigned to the player.

Of course its important to have good finishers, as well as a good team that can create many chances which then get converted to goals. Football is far from an exact science, but a lethal clinical finisher or two up front certainly helps win games, by converting a large percentage of half-chances into goals. Also, midfielders coming through need to put in their fair share and the odd full-back with a shot and a defender or two coming up for a header etc. Its all a team effort, and a 20-goal striker is not necessarily better than a 15-goal striker.

I think the new owners may opt for a big name signing at some point, not only for tactics but dare I say for the marketing reasons. We'll have to wait and see. I would say Robbie is having his last season with us. Thanks Robbie. Voronin is not a top striker, more of the Kuyt style that we currently have. There is probably room for one more, with Mellor gone and Pongolle most likely too and who knows what the story is with Cisse but he is likely to go as well.

In terms of how Liverpool compare with the others in goals score and goals against, its uncanny how close the chasing 3 are. Any differences are negligible statistically which shows that Liverpool's scoring rate is not too bad all things considered.

Of course, goal tally's can be misleading. A 4-0 here or there, when it would have been better to have a couple of 2-0's instead for each one.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tusky wrote:
    The same Barcelona that won the Champions league last year and most likely La Liga for the third year in a row this year ?

Without getting too petty, the same Liverpool that won the Champions League the season before without a 20+ goal a season striker?

We all know the secret to being successful in football is to score loads and concede little. While we have scored less than Chelsea and Arsenal, it is not exactly a large difference now is it.

The key point is that we need to take our opportunities as they arise. If Liverpool done this, and it applies to all positions throughout the team, we would be doing considerably better than we currently are.

Strikers should be hitting a 10 to 15 a season. The main grouping of attacking midfielders should be hitting 10. Then the other core members of the squad contributing a handful each. This, in my opinion, is what Rafa would like to see with Liverpool. Don't get me wrong though, he would not object to a stiker scoring 20+ goals, he just wouldn't be building his team around him.

Too much is being focused on the number i think rather then what it signifies.

What we essentially need is someone to convert the many many chances we create that go begging. If someone were brought in for that, they would automatically become a 20goal a season player. Kuyt, Bellamy or Crouch could all possibly have scored this many if they had taken their chances.

Its those chances missed that have made the difference between us challenging for the title and just consolidating 3rd.

Id be just as happy if one of our current crop could up their game - Kuyt for one we know can, considering the amount of goals he was getting in Holland. Granted he gets less chances here, but still enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Too much is being focused on the number i think rather then what it signifies.

What we essentially need is someone to convert the many many chances we create that go begging. If someone were brought in for that, they would automatically become a 20goal a season player. Kuyt, Bellamy or Crouch could all possibly have scored this many if they had taken their chances.

Its those chances missed that have made the difference between us challenging for the title and just consolidating 3rd.

Id be just as happy if one of our current crop could up their game - Kuyt for one we know can, considering the amount of goals he was getting in Holland. Granted he gets less chances here, but still enough.

Kinda the point i'm trying to make we do need a natural finisher at the club because of the amount of chances that go wasted. rafa him self said the best finisher there at the moment is Fowler but unfortunately Robbie is the wrong side of 30 and aint going to start more than 10 games. Rafa has said he will look to replace Fowler with a similar type of player an out an out finisher.
    the way i see it is if we can add a 20+ goal scorer to the team we can push for the league. We loose to many games especially away by a single goal margin where chances are wasted, the Newcastle game was a perfect example of that. Think how close we would have gone this season if we had an extra 15-20 goals on that GD chart!
    True Rafa won't waste money but he will not hold back either if the right player is there to be got.

• Advertisement

Right folks, onto matters of import - Man U.

Rafa's reasoning for playing Arbeloa at Left back instead of a proper left sided player against Barca was that he felt a right footed player would be better able to deal with a winger/attacker who would be cutting inside (decided on this when he found out messi was playing). Due to this, and Arbeloa's decent performance in the role, i could see him being brought into this game with the same task, only with Ronaldo as the target instead of Messi.

On formation, i could never begin to guess what Rafa's gonna pull out, though he said today he's gonna put out a full strength team. i expect 3 of our 4 top class midfielders to start, so we can really boss the midfield, but with Gerrard as a wide(ish) attacker, looking to cut in.

Reina
    Finnan---Carra---Agger---Arbeloa/Riise

Alonso----Momo/Mascherano
    Gonzalez
    ----Gerrard
    Bellamy
    Kuyt

(Mascherano swapped with Momo if he's not fully fit yet)

Evra will be strong on the attack so expect Gerrard ready to snuff him out. Neville on the other hand would be terrified by the pace of both Gonzalez and Bellamy operating in his space, with very little defensive cover to be expected from Ronaldo. I expect this to be the weak point Rafa will target. Arbeloa will be always watching for Ronaldo to cut in, and Momo explicitly told to stay towards that side of the pitch to crunch Ronaldo whenever Arbeloa needs it.

I dont think the danger will actually come from Ronaldo though. I expect Henrik Larrson to have a big say in the outcome of this match. very clever player when given any space to maneuver so hopefully Carra and Agger can pin down him and Roony for the whole 90 minutes (Larsson will hurt you if he's given half a yard, though i think Carra has learned his lesson from giving Drogba the space to do the incredible earlier in the season)

Pool to win 2-1 Gonzalez and Kuyt with Bellamy getting a set up, and Larsson either scoring or setting up their goal.

P.s sorry for the length, I feel kinda like Red Spider! (though not quite as eloquent of course)

Liverpool -

Reina
    Finnan-Carragher-Agger-Riise
    Gerrard-Alonso-Sissoko-Gonzalez
    Kuyt-Bellamy.

Subs - Dudek, Hyypia, Aurelio, Crouch, Pennant.

No Mascherano, That line up is pretty strong, though Gonzo is a potential weak link.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liverpool were robbed today,as you all probably witnessed. From a Manchester United fans point of view Im absolutely delighted. It was a complete robbery. Liverpool were the better team first half with United playing some nice football for just 5 or 10 mins. They didnt even get 2 mins of a passing game going second half.

I hope yee see it through vs Barca, and you never know ye might have the last laugh in CL should United and the Pool meet.

Jamie Carragher on form is the best CB in the premiership without a doubt and its him I feel sorry for the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It would be great if we got both made it through and got each other in the 1/4's. The atmosphere's in OT and anfield for a evening kick off would be immense.

Terrible way to lose, bad enough having Rio beat us at OT with late goal, but for JOS to do it in injury time at anfield was torture. We need to splash the cash on a top striker in the summer.

Sissoko had a very poor game, gave the ball away more then usuall(if thats possible).

Agree about carragher, he was class yet again.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

feel sick after that alright, but no-one to blame but ourselves, all the ball and never really looked like scoring until crouchies late effort.

would gladly give away that result to go through on tuesday though..

2 similar results in a row for utd, bad games and getting wins, can't see
    them losing title now..

We need to splash the cash on a top striker in the summer.

A top class goalie we can rely on as well might not be bad.

Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd

Well, well, well. Liverpool did enough to win this game but Man Utd did a typical smash and grab again against us. This has happened too often for my liking, and it was Liverpool's speciality in the 90's. Also, many goals are still coming from dead ball situations. Too many Liverpool players just switched off for that free-kick. Finnan stood still and watched and Reina's spill was typical of him and a symptom of his faults, which is why he is just not good enough for the standard that we seek.

In the general scheme of things, its not the end of the world for us. Barcelona wont get too much consoling from it and Man Utd know that they stole it, players and fans. It wont make a difference in our position in the league, 1 pt (as it was looking) or zero pts. However, perhaps the infamous quote from Bill Shankly applies, in that these matches are ALWAYS important against our main arch enemy, especially as they are challenging for the title.

As a result of this the title IS theirs unless they implode and they shouldnt. That is always a bitter pilll to swallow for Liverpool fans, although its a moot point really as Chelsea in their current guise are equally as unplatable.

So, to Tuesday and Barca. I hope that the lads, especially Stevie G, can pick himself up from this dissapointment, and I'm sure he will. These games are huge for him mentally and in the manner of it today he will be majorly dissapointed. Rafa will get him and the team right though, he is good that way.

What with the Scholes sending off, Larsoon subbed, Rooney off injured, it looked like a safe one point at least if not a huge chance to get all 3. "we wuz robbed".

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Just knew it was going to happen. Again. Thought Saha was excellent, best forward on show today. He showed Larsson how to make the most of little supply. We need a Saha.

ANYWAY - We've played the champs-elect off the park (despite losing), beaten the current champs and beaten the euro champs.

Onwards to Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Bellamy did well, turned Vidic inside on numerous occasions today. Kuyt wasn't his usual self, and Crouch was disappointing. I think if Bellamy and Kuyt were to play week-in, week-out, they might find some consistency. I still feel that the wide-areas need more attention in the summer than up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Crouch is a big giant stocking, crammed full of ****. Why would it occur to anyone with more than half a brain to try take down a ball when the have a free header for a tap in on the back post? The guy is just bad. A couple of minutes before that a ball came in and he tried to head it across the box but it ended up going up in the air and out towards the edge of the box. :rolleyes:

He seems good for the 2nd or 3rd goal in a game we are well up in but cant seem to handle big games where we need one goal to clinch it.

Thought the defence was poor for the goal. Firstly, a low driven free kick like that should never have gotten as far as Reina. When the ball came off him there were 3 Utd players ina line behind Liverpools back 4, if the ball had gone in any other direction bar where it went, one of them had a tap in. Thats disgracefull. As it happens the ball dropped to Man Utd unmarked player no 4. It's just not good enough, plain and simple.

Stky10 wrote:
    A top class goalie we can rely on as well might not be bad.

I really believe we have one already, problem is he's on loan and in the middle of a relegation fight, with a strong possibility he might be sold in the summer.

As it is, it's not looking good for our last game against the other 3 teams at the top. If it goes the way I think and we lose to Arsenal then it will be 1 win and 5 losses against Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. Add in Everton and its 1 win, 1 draw and 6 defeats from 8 games. That just indefencable (word?) form. The games against Utd are the biggest of the season in the league from our poiint of view, but in beating Chelsea and losingto Utd twice all we've managed to do is help them on their way to the league.

W've been just doing enough to float along in the last few years and that needs to change now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Sissoko was shocking. I could not believe how bad a game he had today. I thought Utd were poor today and made us look good.
    I think Rafa had better get to grips with the premiership pretty quick because strolling in, in 3rd or 4th place, 20-30 points behind the eventual winners is getting tiresome.

Roll on Tuesday.

Stekelly wrote:
    Why would it occur to anyone with more than half a brain to try take down a ball when the have a free header for a tap in on the back post?

Was listening to 606 earlier and Alan Green commented that he saw Crouchy's face today and it was a complete mess after the kick. Said that might have been his reason for not taking it with his head. He still possibly mightn't have and his heading is horrendous for a guy of his height, but id be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Was listening to 606 earlier and Alan Green commented that he saw Crouchy's face today and it was a complete mess after the kick. Said that might have been his reason for not taking it with his head. He still possibly mightn't have and his heading is horrendous for a guy of his height, but id be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this time.

He should not have been playing if he was not fit to do so , IMO Benitz made a mistake by playing crouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

thrill wrote:
    Sissoko was shocking. I could not believe how bad a game he had today.

Worst player on the pitch by a country mile
    When he went to control the ball 35 yards out on his own and drove it 20
    feet in the air kinda summed up his entire day
    He does some good work breaking up play etc but the lad cant pass the ball
    and his passing seems to actually be getting worse.
    I know he done a lot of work against barca and people were saying what a good game he had, but in a team trying to attack for most of a match instead of a team sitting back and defending he is a serious liability
    Heres hoping mascharano can do the same job but also pass the ball to his own teammates!!!!

Hugely disappointing result.
    Lots of posession but not enough penetration
    Bellamys pass to Kuyt for the "tap in" kinda let everyone know it wasnt gonna be our day.
    Oh and another costly mistake by Reina
    Any offer over 6m should be accepted and cut our losses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Without getting too petty, the same Liverpool that won the Champions League the season before without a 20+ goal a season striker?

We're talking about the league though, its a whole other ballgame. We had Louis Garcia scoring bucket loads of us in the Europe also.

The point is, we arent converting enough chances. In my opinion the main culprits are the strikers, obviously we need goals from midfield also. Our wingers arent scoring enough either, when you look at how many goals Giggs & Ronaldo or Duff, Robben & Cole have chipped in, it becomes very clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

~Rebel~ wrote:

Crouch has proven himself, and in so doing, proved a lot of people wrong. He's not an automatic first choice, but I hope he's kept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Eto talks about moving
    "England is a sensational country for football and any time I leave that will be my destination because the Premiership is fantastic for strikers," said Eto'o in the News of the World.

"Arsenal and Chelsea have caught my attention in the last few months, although there has been no definite contact.

"Jose Mourinho is a good coach and I believe he is a fan of mine.

"But for the moment I can think only of Barcelona and have demanded of Rijkaard that he plays me against Liverpool."

Though Barca trail from the first leg, Eto'o remains confident the holders can progress to the quarter-finals.

He added: "It's going to be hard and we must concentrate from the first minute because we can't afford to give them chances like we did at the Nou Camp.

"I dream of playing in the final of the Champions League again.

"I truly believe we are superior to Liverpool and I still think our moment will come in this tie."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

IrishMike wrote:
    When he went to control the ball 35 yards out on his own and drove it 20
    feet in the air kinda summed up his entire day
    That was very funny though. It was like "and now for my Djimi Traore impression" :D

Ironically, United were too bad for Sissoko to be effective. Alonso wasnt brillirant either, yet still Alonso & Sissoko as a pair were far superior to Scholes & Carrick. Of course the Liverpool lads did have the advantage of Gerrard nearby, who had his best game v the mancs for a while.

Craig Bellamy was by miles our most dangerous player. Ask Vidic about what player has caused him the most trouble this season and Bells will be very high on the list. Taking him off was stupid and wrong. Likewise the decision not to play Bellamy in big games earlier in the season.

Bellamy is by a country mile our best striker. Kuyt is average. No more no less. Crouch is shíte, pure fookin shíte. He can cause problems with his awkwardness and can be useful as a sub or when playing against poor defenders. But no way should he ever start an important game for Liverpool FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

cant beleive the result from the game. have to say that some of the choices beitez makes sometimes are a wee bit strange.
    taking off bellamy was a terrible thing to do. he was our best player on the pitch and the one that was causing the most trouble and to take him off was giving man ure a break. sissoko didnt have a good game he should have been taken off instead of bellers.
    i just knew that feckin o shea fella would grab a goal. when his name was called out to come on the pitch there was big cheers from the lfc fans and it was bound to happen!
    have to start getting better results against the big 3 teams if we wanna win the league. heres hoping that we beat those spanish lads on tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I dont think Reina made a mistake for the goal. The ball was fizzed in at him and it took a bounce in front of him. The fact that O'Shea had enough space to fit our new stadium in and the time it would take to build it, to shoot, was the problem.

It really hurt on saturday to lose in the manner in which we did. But we can only blame ourselves. Crouch should be hung by the balls for attempting to side foot the ball from 5 yards out instead of drilling it home. Bellamy should never have been taken off especially when Kuyt was having such a quiet game. He ran United ragged all day, but im sure Benitez had one eye Tuesday. Momo had his worst game in a red shirt to date and lost the ball more times than we completed passes in the whole game.

As much as it pains me to say it the Title is United's to lose and i really cant see that happening. Utd's hugely impressive start to the season has shown us exactly what we have been missing over the last few seasons and how important it is to start a season running. This is something that must happen next season if we are to have a chance of even featuring in the title race let alone win it. And for this reason I hope we dont have whoesale changes, 1 or 2 players of real class should be enough.

I agree with most of the sentiments being put forward. ie: Reina not 100% at fault for the goal, defence partially (just went to sleep), Sissoko lacking creativity, upfront not clinical, Crouch could/should have done better, although face injury an influence. Overall, Benitez did have half an eye on Barca by taking Bellamy off. I think he will play Sissoko though due to his ability to break up the play.

Now perhaps to some good news, over the weekend:

Sevilla 2-1 Barcelona
    - Ronaldinho 14
    Kerzhakov 39 -
    Daniel 60 -

Sent off:
    Aitor Ocio 28 -
    - Giuly 62
    - Zambrotta 79

So, its far from a happy mood at Barca coming into the game this week and that's good news for us.

By the way, in terms of the 20-goal a season striker debate, I too would like to see someone more clinical in front of goals with a better half-chance to goal conversion ratio. I think I've been very consistent in saying from the start about Crouch, a nice fella and all that with some useful qualities for the english league, but not up to the level we want to be at. He can do a target man role in some games though.

By the way, interesting to see whats happening at Valencia:
    Top Valencia Goalscorers 2006/2007 Player Goals
    Fernando Morientes 16
    David Villa Sanchez 15
    Miguel Ángel Angulo 7

So, the rule of thumb applies, a clinical finisher in another league and at another club wont necessarily translate to one at Liverpool with current squad and in the english league, and vice versa, but the corrollary may be true, as from the above, Morientes looks like he will achieve 20 goals at least this season barring injury. I wonder if there are any/many peno's in that tally or is that Villa's job.

Redspider

I think Saturday was another example of why we need a finisher at the club especialy crouchs chance. He did the hard part well in taking it down (he can't head a ball so was right not to there) but the side foot finish was poor. We dominated that game from start to 92nd minute but just can't turn that domination into goals. Bellamy played well his best game in my opinion and was wrongly takin off. Sissoko proved again that yes he can win a tackle but my god he can't pass and has the worst touch i've seen in a central midfielder, he spends most of the match chassing the ball because he gave it away himself.
    Carragher was his usual solid no nonsense defend at all costs self! has to be the best out and out defender in the prem.

On the Morientes thing it was only his 10th in the league and 16th in all competitions this season, what we need is a 20 goal league striker we don't have much trouble getting goals in the Champions league because of the way we play in Europe.

Yeah sad to say, but Sissoko has the touch and passing capability of Carlton Palmer. Which is odd when you consider he's a converted striker rather than defender. Its not like we're expecting him to be able to pull off passing like Song did for Charlton at the weekend. Roy Keane wasn't a great passer, but he could manage to just get it and give a short pass to someone close-by more talented.

Surely as a professional he's working on it on the training ground?. If so, I can't understand why its still so bad. Maybe though we're seeing the real reason Mascherano was brought in. He might not get around the pitch as much, but when he wins the ball, he usually makes sure we keep possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

woodyg wrote:
    He did the hard part well in taking it down (he can't head a ball so was right not to there) but the side foot finish was poor.

Anyone that couldnt at the very least draw a world class save from the goalkeeper with a header from there shouldnt be on a football pitch. If it was falling to Reina in that position I'd want him to head it, never mind one of our strikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Stky10 wrote:
    Yeah sad to say, but Sissoko has the touch and passing capability of Carlton Palmer. Which is odd when you consider he's a converted striker rather than defender.

:eek: he was a striker? my God! didn't hear that before... it's such a shame though that he isn't a better passer because he's fantastic at the defensive stuff. How many times do we see him breaking up an attack only to hand it to the opposing team 5 seconds later. I was really hoping that with time, being at a club like Liverpool would force him to up this aspect of his game, but each time i see him play i feel reconciled that he will never go beyond the level he's at now.

• Advertisement

Enough of this gloom!

What about tomorow/today (depending!)?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:

Bring it On !

Rarrrr! I'm a Tiger!

Thats what I want to see tomorrow night (RTE or ITV) 11 Tigers of Anfield plus 44,000 cubs :p

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Enough of this gloom!

Mike.

It's not gloom Mike it's just analyse of where we need to improve to make that next step up. Where so close to greatness it makes me tingle but that next step is proving oh so hard!

As for tonight i fear for the hearing of 44,000 people after the game due to what could be the loudest atmosphere since the Chelsea semi. RTK have been drumming up the support in to a frenzy for tonight so Barca are in for some shock!

and yes

Bring It On!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

woodyg wrote:
    It's not gloom Mike it's just analyse of where we need to improve to make that next step up. Where so close to greatness it makes me tingle but that next step is proving oh so hard!

wouldn't be 5 matches would it :p

I would be a rich man if I had €5 for every time I heard a Liverpool fan say something similar over the last 10 years :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Ave It!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

All the talk is of barca playing 3-4-3 formation.

Maybe with eto ronaldinho and messi up front.

While that may sound scary, it would leave their already flaky defence even more exposed.

Am looking forward to this match... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

gots ta watch out for the big three up front today for barca. messi, e2 and ronnydinhio. e2 is gona be the difference from the first game i think. also messi is starting to look as menacing as ever now ufortunately. should be a cracking game and atmosphere alrite.
    theres gona be a few goals in it i think. cant see it finishing a scoreless draw.
    i will go for the same result as the first leg with maybe stevie g gettin one of his trademark piledrives ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?HLID=452436&CPID=8&title=Villa+'flattered'+by+Reds+link&lid=&channel=Premiership&f=rss&clid=14

Nice to dream but I wouldn't read too much into anything printed in an English tabloid until there's even a slight chance of it becoming a reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

it seems to me that Sissoko's return from injury and into the first team has hindered results in the last few weeks barring the Barca one.

We were doing fine with SG/XA in midfield until the partnership was split up

Lex Luthor wrote:
    it seems to me that Sissoko's return from injury and into the first team has hindered results in the last few weeks barring the Barca one.

We were doing fine with SG/XA in midfield until the partnership was split up
    I don't know how you can play a midfielder who can't pass the ball. Its a fundamental ability that he doesn't have. He's a useful battler, and can break up the opposition's play, but he offers absolutely zero in terms of attacking / play-making etc.

From the one match Mascherano has played for us, he seems to be a better prospect, able to put in a tackle, but also well able to play.

Personally I quite fancy Gerrard + Mascherano in the centre. Alonso's form hasn't been great this season either, perhaps a spell on the bench might sharpen his mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I don't know how you can play a midfielder who can't pass the ball. Its a fundamental ability that he doesn't have. He's a useful battler, and can break up the opposition's play, but he offers absolutely zero in terms of attacking / play-making etc.
    Very similar to Milan with Gattuso doing to dirty work and Pirlo sitting deap spraying passes.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Very similar to Milan with Gattuso doing to dirty work and Pirlo sitting deap spraying passes.
    Gattuso can certainly pass the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Gattuso certainly wouldn't be regarded as a good passer. Good passing success rate but so does Neil Lennon. ;)

Yeah sure, Gattuso's not a Fabregas or an Alonso (on his increasingly infrequent day), but he CAN pass the ball. Sissoko cannot, I'd say his pass completion rate is about 40% (that's being generous).

Its actually like he's a freakish athlete who never played football before, so he was put into football for his physical abilities with the prospect that he might learn football at some stage.

He's Forrest Gump....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement