Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Tusky wrote:
    The corners will be expanded at some point and each one will sear 7,500 apparently. So thats an extra 30,000 ? Doesnt sound right to me though.

Am pretty sure that I read before that the corners cannot be expanded/developed as the 4 roof supports come up through the corners (roof otherwise self supporting so no poles in the way) and if so then those 4 roof supports would need to be pretty sturdy and go along way to severely impacting on seating capacity in the corners.

That said there are rumours going about this week that Hicks is looking to increase capacity and that they'll be submitting revised plans for the internal layout. Diff figures from 70,000 -> 90,000 are being thrown about but it's all rumour atm. I'm not sure the club would fill an 80 or 90k stadium week in week out and the worst thing to do would be to end up with a stadium with large numbers of empty seats on a regular basis - bang goes the atmosphere. In the short term anyway. On the otherhand it would prob mean season tickets for everyone and their granny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

zing wrote:
    I'm not sure the club would fill an 80 or 90k stadium week in week out and the worst thing to do would be to end up with a stadium with large numbers of empty seats on a regular basis - bang goes the atmosphere. In the short term anyway. On the otherhand it would prob mean season tickets for everyone and their granny.

Well they could have pretty huge price differences in season tickets based on location within the stadium so that the financial burden on fans is lessened. Attendances in the premiership have been reducing over the past couple of years because of the sheer cost. Also, reduce the cost of (season) tickets for kids, so that they become life time fans. And give out some free tickets to kids in local schools on a rotation basis, which would bring a lot of good publicity (and future cash). The club has been criticized locally a lot for pricing out local support. This could be the opportunity to redress that.

As long as the ground is always more than three quarters full I don't think it will matter to the atmosphere. Barcelona/Real Madrid for instance rarely fill their stadiums either, and its nearly always possible to get tickets the day of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

zing wrote:
    I'm not sure the club would fill an 80 or 90k stadium week in week out and the worst thing to do would be to end up with a stadium with large numbers of empty seats on a regular basis - bang goes the atmosphere.

you would imagine that if the stadium were designed well enough that empty seats wouldn't impact the atmosphere too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ciaran76 wrote:

Just read that, the Guardian seems to be infested with Liverpool-knockers
    these days. The article contained nothing that came as a surprise.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2033194,00.html

It seems like Liverpool will have a large amount of debt aswell.
    Technically it won't be saddled onto the club, but it is effectivly, as since the owners borrowed it on the back of the club, all the interest payments and ultimately the payments of the loan will have to be covered by it.

This doesn't include borrowing for the stadium, which will be another 200 million?

I dunno why some are so exerised by the D word. The new stadium if it gets its new 80,000 capacity will bring in twice the current match day revenue (at least, with the corporate angle expanded no doubt). Does anyone have firm home gate revenues for the most recent full season?

Mike.

Assuming you can get 80k, which is no guarantee. Also there is no way it brings in double the match day revenue, as in order to bring in the 80k, you need to get more people involved, and to do that, will take a couple of years of cheaper prices.
    Also, then you get the inevitable problem of having a crap atmosphere cause you are desperately trying to fill 80k to pay off debt.

PHB wrote:
    Assuming you can get 80k, which is no guarantee. Also there is no way it brings in double the match day revenue, as in order to bring in the 80k, you need to get more people involved, and to do that, will take a couple of years of cheaper prices.
    Also, then you get the inevitable problem of having a crap atmosphere cause you are desperately trying to fill 80k to pay off debt.

Match day revenue is way more than just ticket sales. The last time I was there on match day the queue to get into the club shop was ridiculous. I'm sure the new club shop will be much bigger and the added crowds will increase the revenue taken in. Add in the increased sales of food, drink, programmes, corporate guests etc and it all adds up. Just look at how Arsenal's revenue has increased since they moved to the Emirates, and they're only fitting an extra 15,000 in.

• Advertisement

How much for a subscription to a corporate box though?
    A sell-out rugby international at Lansdowne Road returns a ticket gross of around €2 million. However, the same game in Croke Park would yield over €4.5 million while another €1 million would accrue from the rent of corporate boxes, plus increased advertising revenue, arising from the larger signage areas in Croke Park.

Emerates boxes start at 65,000!
    The upper (26,646) and lower (24,425) tiers of the stadium are standard seating. For the 2006-07 season, ticket prices for an adult range between £32 and £66 for most matches (designated "Category B"), with the price rising for "Category A" matches against certain top sides to between £46 and £94. Season ticket prices for 2006-07 ranged between £885 and £1,825.

The main middle tier, known as the "Club Level", is premium priced and also includes the director's box. There are 7,139 seats at this level, which are sold on licences lasting from one to four years. The cost of club tier seats for 2006–07 ranges from £2,500 to £4,750 per season and covers admission to all home league games and any home games Arsenal play in the UEFA Champions League, FA Cup and Carling Cup. These were sold out by May 2006.

Immediately above the club tier there is a small tier consisting of 150 boxes of 10, 12 and 15 seats. The total number of spectators at this level is 2,222. Box prices start at £65,000 per annum plus VAT, and covers admission to all home league games and any home games Arsenal play in the UEFA Champions League, FA Cup and Carling Cup. The most exclusive area in the stadium is known as the "Diamond Club" which is invite only and costs £25,000 up front plus £25,000 a year. Tickets here include use of a private lounge, a complimentary restaurant and bar, valet parking and concierge service. Members will also have the option of travelling to European away games on the players' aeroplane.

Due to the high demand for tickets and the relative wealth of their London fanbase, Arsenal expect the revenue from their premium seating and corporate boxes to be nearly as much as the revenue from the entire stadium at Highbury.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

i cant see much revision to the plans for the stadium as they would require a re-submit which would delay the process and as the money is to be used by the end of April this cant be done. The stadium will most likely be the 1 on that video which looks dam good at night! Its a completely unrestrcited view of the pitch from all seats. the 4 towers go out throught the back of the stands so not to have an effect on view. I think there was a survey done on how much extra cash is brought in by increasing capacity from the current 45k to the proposed 60k and if memorey serves me right it works out about an extra 1.5m a match which is quite a large amount.

On the Debt thing it isnt really a debt more like a re-structured loan for development works. It's nothing big even Man utd had this when they were re-developing and it aint done them any harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Even though capacity at the new stadium will only be 16k more, the corporate boxes is the big boost. At present we only have around 4 boxes at Anfield iirc. Look at the figures for the Emirates above and you can get an idea of what we'd be looking at. Think that I read somewhere that they earn half of their matchday ticket income from corpo boxes.

On a different note, I'm heading over to the Arsenal match in two weeks and need two tickets. Any suggestions? Don't want to go to an online tout but it looks like I'll have to as I wan't able to get tickets through lfc.tv yesterday.

Work on the new stadium stopped while capacity is finalised

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6450893.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Anyone know if the Arsenal v Aston Villa game is on telly? Seen as the Gooners are our closest Premiership rivals and Villa are our next game, I'm kinda interested in this game.

• Advertisement

cregser wrote:
    Anyone know if the Arsenal v Aston Villa game is on telly? Seen as the Gooners are our closest Premiership rivals and Villa are our next game, I'm kinda interested in this game.

It's on Sky Sports 1 amongst other channels..
    http://liveonsat.com/daily.php?start_dd=18&start_mm=03&start_yyyy=2007&end_dd=18&end_mm=03&end_yyyy=2007

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

zing wrote:

thats everton v arsenal, villa v arsenal was on tonight and wasn't on sky. Arsenal won 1-0

Voronin scored tonight and set up the two other goals for Leverkusen in thier 3-0 win.

Mike.

daveym wrote:
    thats everton v arsenal, villa v arsenal was on tonight and wasn't on sky. Arsenal won 1-0

Duh - brain not working right today. Read the orig post as our game against villa for some reaosn.

zing wrote:
    Duh - brain not working right today. Read the orig post as our game against villa for some reaosn.

hope I can recover in time to get up for it on sunday!
    don't think my brain will be working then!

• Advertisement

Scottish youngster to sign

http://liverpoolfc.co.za/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1126051643/m/9171027643

And the season ticket waiting list thats probably driving the look at a higher capacity

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2007/03/14/americans-plan-to-supersize-new-anfield/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bringing their own unique American brand of ’supersizing’ it is believed plans are being looked at to build a stadium with a capacity of at least 76,500 - what would be the biggest football stadium in England after the national Wembley stadium.

Is Old Trafford not touching 80k?

I for one welcome a much bigger stadium, always thought a 60k stadium that looked limited to 60k was too small and unambitious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Voronin Scored in Bayerns win mid week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Q2Rn-Cgb8

Old Trafford's record attendence is 76,073

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anyone else fancy a swap deal with Crouch and Kewell for Berbatov?
    The guy is different class. And the fact that his former team-mate from Bayer Leverkeusen will be with us next year can't harm the possibility!

I'd be very suprised if Berbatov was sold this summer, he's got a four year contract, and Spurs are not a selling club normally, and if they do sell, it'll be a lot of money.
    If Carrick cost United 18 million, how much do you think Berbatov would cost?
    I'd wager at 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

If Berbatov is for sale in the Summer the queue of clubs will be sizeable. Crouch, Kewell and a large wedge of cash (maybe the few million we will hopefully get for Cisse and more) would be required to get Spurs interested given his current form.

Agreed he is a class player esp for a debut season in the Prem, if he continues in the same form then Spurs can make a small fortune in a season or two.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

PHB wrote:
    I'd be very suprised if Berbatov was sold this summer, he's got a four year contract, and Spurs are not a selling club normally, and if they do sell, it'll be a lot of money.
    If Carrick cost United 18 million, how much do you think Berbatov would cost?
    I'd wager at 20.

If cisse was worth 14 then he certainly is worth 20. I'd rather we spent 20 on a proven prem striker than on a torres/villa type gamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Everyone talking of this 8million we'll get for Cisse, i thought that money was spent on Kuyt? ie we borrowed to buy kuyt with the funds from cisses sale going to pay that debt off when we sell him this year?

Hows he doing in marseille anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

5 appearances, 5 goals according to Wikipedia so he's doing what Morientes is doing....lashing them in now he's left Liverpool. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Daemonic wrote:
    5 appearances, 5 goals according to Wikipedia so he's doing what Morientes is doing....lashing them in now he's left Liverpool. :confused:

It's more to do with the Leagues they ar eplaying in than just not playing for Liverpool. Morientes was never suited to England, in a way he is too good. He is a footballer, pure and simple. Doesnt have the physical aspect or the athleticism for ENgland. Didnt take well to haveing balls hammered at his head and being expected to take it down, beat 5 players and score>

With regard Ciise, I'm fairly sure I could give the top scorer in the French league a run for his money. He's at his level there. There was nothing working against him at Liverpool, he got chances, a lot of sitters included, and just arsed them up. He's Drogba without the skill. He's like a big guy someone saw running around a Rugby pitch at 50 miles an hour knocking lumps out of everyone and asked "can you play football" ,then decided that the answer wasnt important as long as he could run around quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

he also doesn't seem to be doing as well as that, according to skysports.com its only 3 goals in 11 appearances.

http://home.skysports.com/player.aspx?plid=6286&clid=144&cpid=24

Though i do think he'll do very well there next year, as was said, it's his level and he'll flourish at it. Which is a pity as i had very high hopes for him when he came to pool, and even still after 2005 when he made the great comeback and got a few great goals. just too inconsistant and lacks the cool head and finishing touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dont like the sound of this at all from Alonso!
    "Liverpool have presented me with a new deal but until the end of the season I do not have an answer for them.

"Barcelona is a city very important to me and the club is also important to my father [former Barca player Perico Alonso], but in the world of football you cannot always make a decision with your heart."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=454946&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=&title=Alonso:+Barca+close+to+my+heart&channel=&

Just sounds like he's willing to stay if the moneys right but wants to join Barca if the deals end up being similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

on this years performances i dont think we'd miss him that much!that not to say hes not a fantastic player on his day and has put in some outstanding performances in a liverpool shirt! but his exit just cements gerard back into the center with sisoko/mascher as a partner! would this be such a bad thing!

How much money would we get for alonso? Around the 18million mark?

He hasnt been great this season and gerrard, momo and mascer could well cover him

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

If Carrick is worth £18m then Alonso should be worth a good bit more.

The talk is of 18 million, I agree if Carrick is worth that then I'd be looking for 25 for Alonso.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I still wouldnt like to see him go. I really think he's a great player and a great passer and tackler in the midfield. Think I remember seeing some stat that he has like the 3rd most successful tackles in the Premiership last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

losing alosno would be a major step back imo, not just in terms of his value on the pitch, but it would just be a bad sign of liverpools intentions to progress. i hate teams that have intentions to be a top team and say they have a desire to be winners and then sell their best players to their superior opposition, ie the oppostion who's top spot they're intending to take.

granted liverpool would have funds and players currently in the squad (macherano) that would be able to slot in for him, but thats not the point. alonso should be able to achieve everything he wants to achieve for the next 5 years at least while at liverpool. i'd be gutted to lose him, i think he's a major player in terms of what rafa is building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'm pretty sure Rafa sees it that way too. I can't see him letting Alonso leave without a struggle.

Another young Spaniard to sign?

http://www.squarefootball.net/article/transfer.asp?tid=386

Chrickey how many youth/reserve players will that be in a season?

Mike.

Another chance to see Masherano today. Another game under his belt should do him plenty of good.

Reina, Finnan, Agger, Carragher, Riise, Gerrard, Sissoko, Mascherano, Aurelio, Kuyt, Bellamy

Subs: Dudek, Hyypia, Fowler, Alonso, Pennant

FiveLive is off NTL (muppets) down here! :mad:

Strong line up ,Gerrard on the right I presume.

Just reading the RAWK match thread, this sounds like the worst game evarrrrr!

Mike.

poor first half and that was a certain penalty for villa the the end of the half not given. lucky to be 0-0.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote:
    poor first half and that was a certain penalty for villa the the end of the half not given. lucky to be 0-0.

yeah, pool lucky not to be one nil down. passing is pretty poor, Rise over hitting crosses and Mascherano is looking dodgy, he made a number of woeful passes that allowed Villa to break. Pool need to get thier act together if they want to get something from this match, although it shouldn't be to hard for them to do that as Villa are looking poor also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭The Rooster

One bad is all I saw Masherano make. Unlike Gerrard who's giving it away as much as Sissoko, i.e. every time he has it. Mascherano hasnt been brilliant, but he's easily our best midfielder today.

There goes the pillock taking off our only dangerous player again. Mystifying

One bad is all I saw Masherano make. Unlike Gerrard who's giving it away as much as Sissoko, i.e. every time he has it. Mascherano hasnt been brilliant, but he's easily our best midfielder today.

i can remember more than just one (unless i'm confusing him with someone else then or something), and he was lucky Villa weren't able to make anything of the breaks, but he played better in the second half alright.

Fowler very unlucky not to have headed home from what was probably the only chance in the match that looked somewhat convincing. Sorenson did well to keep it out.

bringing off Bellamy was a bit daft, Liverpool looked in the end that they weren't really interested in the three points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Bellamy did nothing all game and when pennant came on in fairness we looked the most dangerous in the match (not saying much but still!) Mascherano was the best player on the pitch in the second half which is similar to his first performance- needs time to grow imo.
    The big problem was that there was no width in the team, Aurelio isn't a winger, Gerrards not a winger, Kuyt should be playing central and drift off less as he can win things in the air.
    A draw is was the fair result- awful game so lets hopefully put it behind us.

I'd sacrifice Alonso for a great winger- Alves or someone similar or top notch goal scorer- an Eto, Klose or Toni like player. We've enough strength in our squad to lose him and he's had a poor season (same for most of our midfielders- not enough goals coming from there- we miss Garcia funnily enough!) Though he's probably just on a bad patch and will regain his consistency soon enough. Thus i'd be in two minds over it

Woeful display, the lads looked they ouldnt be aresed.
    I think its time Kuyt spent a bit of time on the bench he was brutal and hasnt worked as hard as usual the last while, I think he's getting a bit complacent.

Mascherano was the best player for liverpool and played some nice passes.

Terrible performace and probly the msot boring game ive seen for a long long time

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement