Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

best news................ever

for two reasons

one i dont want him

two all the mikey owen rumours could be true ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Rumours going around that Owen is nailed on now with the latest crouch development. How true not sure, but it is of a few poster's on another site who all have a good track record when it comes to this sort of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i dont believe the owen rumours at all to be honest, its admitting defeat him coming back! although i wouldnt mind getting a refund for nunez... where did he leave that reciept?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Alot of roumers floating around of Owen coming through a buy-back clause in his contract. Figures of £9m and £11m being quoted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

This is a joke right haha nice one... I can just see it now - #Michael owen wearing a liverpool shirt HAHAA haaa uhhh NOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

well he did for 5-6 years, a lot more likely than him going to man ure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

Alot of roumers floating around of Owen coming through a buy-back clause in his contract. Figures of £9m and £11m being quoted

£9m-£11m!? Was he not sold for £8m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

If liverpool sign owen back it would be the best day of my life (behind the CL of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

we already have 2 pacey strikers in cisse and baros, liverpool dont need owen. i cant see him coming back unless the kuyt deal is completely off and rafa still thinks we're in dire need of another striker.

hopefully the rumours of celta vigo's interest in nunez is true, if we're lucky we'll get 500 thousand - 1 million for him, although sticking him on a box and shipping him for free would also work.

i dont like how pongolle has been forgotten to an extent, i liked what i saw of him in the few games he got last season, i'd like to see him get a run of a few games this season, weather its as a striker or on the right wing

• Advertisement

Pongolle isnt being forgotten, hes not a striker in my opinion. We have Baros and cisse, true, but niether are proven in the premiership, baros has had a while in the premiership but just doesnt have the goal scoring record of Owen. Owen bangs them in consistently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

I'd really love to see Pongolle given a good run in the team too, but I don't think it's gonna happen unless he's deployed on the right. Plus he's out until about October I believe.
    With regards to the Owen rumours - I'd have him back in a shot even if it costs more than what the pool got for him. He's got a proven track record in the prem and you'd be guaranteed 15-20 goals a season from him, which is something I'm not entirely sure our other strikers can deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Rick Parry has just been on SSN saying the Crouch transfer will not happen

Thats good news.

In terms of the big signings Benitez indicated, I guess its Carra and Gerrard. If Gerrard was sold, then at least two players would have been coming back the other way, if not 3 or 4.

woodyg: good website that.

Gonzalez's goals are good ones. Plenty of headers from a left winger, which shows he knows when to get in the box. The 3rd goal looks as if that was the cause of his injury, self inflicted. He's supposed to be out injured until Nov, but if he comes back then it looks like he could be a great addition to the side, and looks like a nice bit of business by Liverpool/Benitez. It would have to be bye-bye Kewell then in Jan, one would think.

Looks like Liverpool will have a lot more options this year. Riise will be able to play as a left back and Finnan will be able to play as a right back again.

Redspider

Rumours going around that Owen is nailed on now with the latest crouch development. How true not sure, but it is of a few poster's on another site who all have a good track record when it comes to this sort of stuff.

In light of those rumours, here's an interesting quote from Luxemburgo earlier in an article about Figo:

Luxemburgo revealed he would have no problem showing any player the door if they were not committed to Real cuase.

"Just like (Michael) Owen, Figo has a contract and they need to be here," Luxemburgo stated.

"If they are going to play or not is another story, but they are Real Madrid players.

"Anyone who is only here to play can go. If you are here it is to be as part of the squad.

"If they are not interested in that they should tell the club and they will decide."

Maybe there's some weight to those rumours afterall, or perhaps I'm reading too much into the article :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Owen to return? Hmmmm. I don't really see it but frankly who knows? None of the obvious targets mentioned have signed (Stelios anyone?) still no Figo, no Crouch, Reina still has'nt actually signed.

Whats interesting is that we've signed no-one famous. And yet with Hamann Gerrard, Carra all extending plus fit Cisse, Morientes, Alonso, Kewell (hopefuly) it'll feel like a whole new team.

Its all quite intriguing.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    None of the obvious targets mentioned have signed (Stelios anyone?)

I think that's dead in the water, saw an article earlier saying Allardyce is quite confident he's staying put. Pity

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Reina has signed see here.....

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N149268050707-0946.htm

He has been assigned the number 25 shirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

my old man was down at the pro-am in adare during the week and was having a few drinks with some of the players at the meal and was talking to a certain michael owen who during the course of their conversation told him that all he wanted to do was go back to liverpool, that he hasn't had a good year and misses home desperately, now i see on the bbc website that luxemburgo has told him if he's not happy to be a squad player that he can leave, i hope this is true and he comes home to the pool and forget about these crouch rumors forever :D

I heard he was mobbed by autograph hunters, maybe a seasons loan, eh?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

There is more chance of Owen going to Man u than there is him returning to Anfield :cool:

• Advertisement

was one of the reasons owen was sold off not to break up the little scouse group that we had?

when carra, gerrard and owen were together they all seemed to put in half a$$ performances, like they were in too much of a comfort zone. owens a$$ was SOLD, it wasnt HIM asking to leave remember. rafa offered him to madrid.

owen is not coming back, get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Looks like we may have pipped Everton for the signature of Mali midfielder Mohamed Sissoko.

Taken from the offical site:

"The Liverpool boss said: "He's a young central midfielder who plays a high energy game with a high tempo. He's young, he's not bad on the ball and he will improve the balance of our team."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Of course Reina has signed, where have you been? As has Gonzalez, Zenden and also the 20 year old Valencia midfielder Mohamed Sissoko for 5m. (note: Benitez had brought him to Valencia when he was 18).

Liverpool 4-3 Wrexham

Liverpool warmed up for the start of their Champions League defence with a 4-3 friendly win at Wrexham. Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard paraded the European Cup before the game, preparation for Wednesday's first-round qualifier against TNS. The Reds fell behind to Jon Walters' strike, but soon found their stride with two goals by Fernando Morientes. Substitute Milan Baros hit a brace to make it 4-1 before Lee McEvilly and Rodney Jack replied for Wrexham.

Gerrard was given a barnstorming reaction by a large contingent of Reds fans at The Racecourse as he and Jamie Carragher showed off the trophy before kick-off. Both players signed new contracts in the last few days to commit themselves to Anfield until 2009 and were part of a strong Liverpool starting line-up. New signings Jose Reina and Boudewijn Zenden also played the opening half.

Reds boss Rafael Benitez took no chances on a hot day in Wales, making nine changes at the break and bringing on more substitutes in the second-half. His side will face another Welsh outfit, TNS, when their competitive season begins next week.

+++

So, all the players get a run-out, Baros included.

In terms of Owen coming back, I cant see it, unless Real want Baros and Baros is willing to sit on the bench. Benitez is unlikely to sign Owen back though no matter what. Ferguson has a soft spot for Owen at Man U but he has too many strikers as it is, you would think.

Redspider

whats the story with baros, hes not leaving on a bosman next year is he?

he has 2 years left on his contract..

edited!

Mike.

i reckon he (baros) should be offered a 2 year extension. no point letting his contract run another year and then selling him. give him a new contract and show some faith in him, maybe he'll have a better season with a bit of confidence

he has 2 years left on his contract..
    Only 1.

pretty certain I read 2 years in an article recently.. but sure meh...

• Advertisement

its 2 years, after this season he's got another year to run, similar to owens situtation last year

ah yes, my bad...the amount of times ive heard 'he has 1 year left and intends to honour his contract' from his agent has messed up my head. it runs out in 2007.

so 2 years ;)

Out of the blue (sorry for pun!)
    iverpool are planning an audacious £6m bid to land Chelsea defender William Gallas - but may face competition from Barcelona.

France international Gallas is believed to be unsettled at Stamford Bridge and unimpressed at the prospect of playing second fiddle to centre-backs John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho.

Blues boss Jose Mourinho has drafted in £8m Spanish full-back Asier Del Horno and Gallas could now find himself out of the starting XI.

His agent Pierre Frelot said: "It's true Liverpool and Barcelona have asked about William. But there is no concrete offer and Chelsea have not said they want to sell."

Mourinho is unlikely to be keen on offloading the pacy 27-year-old as he plans for a twin assault on the Premiership and Champions League.

Mike.

Out of the blue (sorry for pun!)

http://www.teamtalk.com
    Liverpool are planning an audacious £6m bid to land Chelsea defender William Gallas - but may face competition from Barcelona.

France international Gallas is believed to be unsettled at Stamford Bridge and unimpressed at the prospect of playing second fiddle to centre-backs John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho.

Blues boss Jose Mourinho has drafted in £8m Spanish full-back Asier Del Horno and Gallas could now find himself out of the starting XI.

His agent Pierre Frelot said: "It's true Liverpool and Barcelona have asked about William. But there is no concrete offer and Chelsea have not said they want to sell."

Mourinho is unlikely to be keen on offloading the pacy 27-year-old as he plans for a twin assault on the Premiership and Champions League.

Mike.

Gallas would be a great addition to the centre of defence :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

gallas would be an outstanding addition to our defence, him and carragher would be ideal.

Though i cant see chelsea selling one of their stars to one of their rivals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Gallas would be a very good signing.
    Anyone else hear what Benitez said about Sissoko?

The jist was that he's young and not bad on the ball....hope he was just playing down how good this lad could become. The next Vieira perhaps.

would rather we got militio, he's younger and better imo. that said i'd like gallas if we could get him for 6 mill.

either way its good to see some movement on the purchase of a centre back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I was talking to the brother last night a life long pool fan and he was furious that Rafa hadn't bought a new center back, he believes that Hypia is past it and that they need someone new to partner Carragher. I wouldn't think Jose will let Gallas go to a rival though, any more news on Upson he would be a more realistic target IMO.

Barca or Liverpool? Both are as likely rivials considering Chelsea's aspirations..

would have been nice to see a new left back come in aswell, traore struggles enough in the league, and in the champions league he looks like someone they took from the phoenix park on a sunday afternoon.

del horno was a great optoin, he's spanish, we made no move at all for him.

patrice evra is a very good young left back, i think all we did was make an enquiry about him.

i dunno, we've got some promising players and a better squad, but when anyone looks at the squad, i dont think anyone can see that bunch of players winning week in and week out on a consistant basis. the defence needs alot of work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I totally agree, we definitely need to sign a class centre-back, Hyppia won't last the season at his age, and if Jamie picks up an injury we're screwed. Even though Djimi has a CL winners medal (I'm sure he's still in shock) he is not and never will be consistent enough in his performances on pitch. We have to sign Milito imo, I have my doubts about Mr Upson.

i expect to see stevey warnock get more first team action this season than last. good solid left full and can only improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ianomccabe wrote:
    i expect to see stevey warnock get more first team action this season than last. good solid left full and can only improve

I'm really hopeing he gets a run and does well. I have a feeling he'll be first choice by the mid way point in the season. He look svery solid in a carra sort of way, which is good.

• Advertisement

it would be good to see warnock develop into another solid defender like carragher, but i think he's a fair bit away from being anything like that, he just hasnt had enough games, but with the competition he has in the squad he should get more games this year.

the worrying thing is the lack of quality coming from the acadamy over the past few years, especially considering what we got from the acadamy during the 90's.

maybe houlier is responsible for the lack of quality there, he didnt exactly go out of his way to give games to the younger players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

el rabitos wrote:

the worrying thing is the lack of quality coming from the acadamy over the past few years, especially considering what we got from the acadamy during the 90's.

maybe houlier is responsible for the lack of quality there, he didnt exactly go out of his way to give games to the younger players.

Rafa said the state of players in the academy was terible. Bannor also posted that houiller wanted to be in charge of the academy but the chairman kept the same man in charge and houiller didnt have any control over it.

I dont think warnock is good enough yet. He should be loaned out to a championship team for a season. He is far to small for a centre back. Even for a left back he seems light-weight.

I dont think warnock is good enough yet. He should be loaned out to a championship team for a season. He is far to small for a centre back. Even for a left back he seems light-weight.

agreed. partridge suffered from the same problem i think, he hadnt got the physical frame for premiership football.

sending warnock on loan would probably be ideal, but our lack of options in the left back means thats not really an option. riise and traore will probably be negotiating the left back position for most of the year but i'm not too confident in either of them in the position

riises best position was as a left winger, i think he made the position his own last season.

i reckon rafa should be looking for a good left back as much as he needs a good centre back

to speak of players not having the physical frame to play in the premiership is imo very shortsighted. Do Joe Cole, Michael Owen, Wright Phillips have the physical frame to play premiership football?

Obviously they do.

Warnock was given a new two year deal as soon as Benitez came in. He's trusted him in big games against Juve and against Everton last season so on evidence it would look like he has plans for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ianomccabe wrote:
    to speak of players not having the physical frame to play in the premiership is imo very shortsighted. Do Joe Cole, Michael Owen, Wright Phillips have the physical frame to play premiership football?

Joe might be small but he is quite strong. YOu rarely see him being pushed off a ball easily.

Owen relies on his pace, which is fine for a striker. but not for a centre back or left back. Wright philips again can use his pace or trickery to getp ast players. When i see warnock play i jsut think a player will easily shrug him off. You dont have to be well build to be strong. Its still young and hasnt fully developed. I just dont think he is ready to be liverpools regular left back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement