Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Poor peformance so far.

What does Zenden add to the team? I think he's poor and prevents a good prospect, like Gonzalez, from getting out there for a game to prove himself.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hopefully this will be one of Zendens last games for us. The last preferably. I can't reacll him having a good game for us at any point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meh! Nothing game, PSV might as well as not turned up. Zenden was on for the same reason Hyypia was - to fill a space usually occupied by a better/more important player.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

only really saw the highlights (and bits of the live game out of the corner of my eye streaming on net), but Sissoko's passing looked much better. hopefully he's coming out of his little dip in form.

Actually Sissoko's passing wasnt terrible, maybe Masche is teaching him a thing or two ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

the Raul link is coming from the fact that he was at anfield recently and said he loved the atmosphere etc but madrid was his hometown club and he planned on staying there.All of this was on revist de la liga but they remarked that he may be sold on with the clearout and liverpool would be where he would go.
    personally id like him to come and he is pure quality nad although he is old could link well with a younger player.Dont think we can afford either eto or villa,the milito brothers at zaragoza or that type of playerr,good but not crazy money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

raven136 wrote:
    Dont think we can afford either eto or villa
    If Crouch keeps scoring we won't need Eto'o or Villa as we'll already have the 20 goals a season striker that we apparently need :)

Crouch is possibly the most over analysed and underrated player in the premiership,18 goals and its still not good enough.
    Fowler and Bellamy should be gone in the summer so a decent striker will still be required.
    And a centre half to cover agger and carra along wity hypia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

raven136 wrote:
    Crouch is possibly the most over analysed and underrated player in the premiership,18 goals and its still not good enough.

Agree about him being over analysed but remember it's 18 goals in all comps - not 18 in the prem. But that's being pedantic - 18 goals from 18 starts is certainly a good statistic no matter what way you look at it. I think Kuyt would have more to his name too if he was played as an out and out striker but he seems to spend more time supporting a main striker.
    Fowler and Bellamy should be gone in the summer so a decent striker will still be required.

Depending on how much Gillet/Hicks are willing to give Rafa I could potentially see Voronin going on loan next season. From what I've seen of him he doesn't sound like the answer to our goal scoring problems so loan him out and see how he adapts.
    And a centre half to cover agger and carra along wity hypia

Paletta is meant to be that player but it looks like he needs more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Voronin In

Bellamy Fowler Out

which means one more in to balance the books (assuming Bellamy definetly goes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

According to BBC rumours Marseille aren't gonna buy cisse so we could be stuck with him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Liverpool want Ajax defender Gabri, who says he is interested in a move to Anfield. (Daily Mirror)

Also from the bbc rumours section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Darn, that was a reported £7-8mil option Marseille had on Cisse - handy money that :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The fans have apparently being booing Ciise, but the suits at the club, manager included, have still been singing his praises. Maybe a deal has already been done?

Gabri? The guy was no good at Barca, what will make him good at Liverpool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Slurms wrote:
    Gabri? The guy was no good at Barca, what will make him good at Liverpool?

Yeah, so true. He must be crap so. No player has ever gone onto another club and done better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

malice_ wrote:
    If Crouch keeps scoring we won't need Eto'o or Villa as we'll already have the 20 goals a season striker that we apparently need :)

ah not really though

they need a 20+ goals in the league striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

event wrote:
    ah not really though

which is what they will have next season if Crouch can keep up this good goal scoring form. remember any striker they buy from a foreign league will take time to adapt (usually) before they find their form too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I love how the popular opinion on Crouch swings wildly from month-to-month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mike65 wrote:
    Keep repeating that! :D Nah I can see a role for him, Niall Quinn rides again.

Mike.

sorry for picking on ya there mike but i thought it was a funny quote from the day crouchie signed. I have defended him and there have been a few that have too throughout and i think it would be a mistake to sell him unless we got good money.

• Advertisement

Selective quoting - I hate it! ;)

I won't try and find the context of my remark. It turns out Crouch is alot more of a 'player' than Quinn was. And I would'nt sell him for anything less than stupid money right now.

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I was at the game last night,Zenden must be one of the worst players we have had in the last 3/4 years he was brutal.Poor Fowler looked well passed it,he still has a nice touch but unfortunately his legs are well gone at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

sweetie wrote:
    According to BBC rumours Marseille aren't gonna buy cisse so we could be stuck with him too.

We should offer him to Newcastle along with 2-3m for Martins. They're almost gullible enough to accept.

I don't think we'll go for Eto'o or Villa, they're too big money for Rafa's liking I think. From all I've read he's more interested in getting the stars of tomorrow than the stars of today.

event wrote:
    This is something I don't understand. Why do we suddenly need a 20 league goals a season striker? Throughout the mid to late nineties God was banging them in but we were no closer to the title. Would it not be better to spread the goals around the team? Better to have two players score eleven each than one getting twenty. I seem to remember Valencia under Benitez were setup like that. Baraja, Vincente, Aimar, Rufete, Carew and Mista all used to more or less hit double figures.

I don't have the statistics to hand but our midfield goal count is way down from last year which is part of the problem. Between injuries (Garcia, Kewell), patchy form (Alonso, Gerrard), settling in (Gonzalez, Pennant, Aurelio) and bad luck (Sissoko v Barcelona :) ) we have missed out on quite a few goals which would surely have swung some games our way.

This of course is made all the more galling when you look at Carrick, Giggs, Scholes and especially Ronaldo banging them in for Man Utd.

Also, check this out. It's proof (as if it were needed) that Garcia's shot crossed the line in the 2005 semi final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You had a 20 goals a season striker but a **** defence, now you have a good defence and good midfield a good keeper, all you need is a 20 goals a season striker to win the league.

Will still win CL with the above minus striker tho.

kdjac

United are well on course for the league with three or four players in double figures but I think we need a better conversion rate on the chances we create whether it be by midfielders, strikers or defenders. Bellamy, Kuyt and Crouch have missed their fair share and apart from Riise and Gerrard (who isn't having his best season goals wise) there have been very few regular scorers.

All this talk of buying big in spain amuses me especially when you see a spurs reject and a liverpool reject banging them in. I'd much prefer to get a proven premiership striker in for that kind of money.

sweetie wrote:

All this talk of buying big in spain amuses me especially when you see a spurs reject and a liverpool reject banging them in. I'd much prefer to get a proven premiership striker in for that kind of money.

Like?

kdjac

sweetie wrote:
    I wouldn't call Pongo a reject just yet. If he is to leave this season I would hope to insert a buy back clause (a la Barragan) as he has the potential to be a great player. Remember that the famous Olympiakos match would have been a damp squib had he not come off the bench and started the ball rolling. The same goes for the Luton FA Cup match.

Regarding the proven Premiership striker comment: Do you mean the likes of Andy Johnson, Darren Bent, Yakubu or Martins as I think their clubs would be very unwilling to part with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

If Charlton / West Ham go down, Bent / Tevez / Ashton would be 'getable'.

Bent would be best.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Like?

kdjac

Henry or Drogba!

nah, bent, ashton, defoe, berbatov, anelka etc.

• Advertisement

malice_ wrote:
    Regarding the proven Premiership striker comment: Do you mean the likes of Andy Johnson, Darren Bent, Yakubu or Martins as I think their clubs would be very unwilling to part with them.

Suppose it depends on your definition of "proven" Johnson has one a bit seasons In PL at the age of 26. Bent has one good season, Yakubu has nearly 20 games a season, Martins is proven now :confused: ashton 3 months in PL, Defoe another 20 games a season man, Anelka is it suits his brother to play for you, Henry and Drogba thought it was about players you may actually be able to afford.

The yak fair enough is about the best there but every player is gettable, no matter how long the contract. Odd you never named Owen who if Newcastle want to buy is the easiest player to sell. Berbatov another who could be a decent PL striker.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Owen can get lost, no-chance of him ever returning.

Rafa will be looking at wingers / supporting players instead of strikers, Another Luis Garcia type player.

Our strikers are fine, we just need the wide men to chip in with their share of the goals, and perhaps pose some kinda threat from set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Dub13 wrote:
    I was at the game last night,Zenden must be one of the worst players we have had in the last 3/4 years he was brutal.Poor Fowler looked well passed it,he still has a nice touch but unfortunately his legs are well gone at this stage.

if money weren't much of an issue, how would you go about getting a ticket for the Anfield Chelsea?

Zenden is a fair dog of a player, but in fairness, the lessons from last night was how ordinary a side liverpool are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

malice_ wrote:
    This is something I don't understand. Why do we suddenly need a 20 league goals a season striker? Throughout the mid to late nineties God was banging them in but we were no closer to the title. Would it not be better to spread the goals around the team? Better to have two players score eleven each than one getting twenty. I seem to remember Valencia under Benitez were setup like that. Baraja, Vincente, Aimar, Rufete, Carew and Mista all used to more or less hit double figures.

I don't have the statistics to hand but our midfield goal count is way down from last year which is part of the problem. Between injuries (Garcia, Kewell), patchy form (Alonso, Gerrard), settling in (Gonzalez, Pennant, Aurelio) and bad luck (Sissoko v Barcelona :) ) we have missed out on quite a few goals which would surely have swung some games our way.

This of course is made all the more galling when you look at Carrick, Giggs, Scholes and especially Ronaldo banging them in for Man Utd.

well in the days of fowler, they hadnt the defence they had now. If liverpool had owen and fowler at their best in the current team, they would be a lot closer to the title

and yes, at valencia he had players that scored a lot of goals, but liverpool dont have that. They dont have many goalscoring midfielders.
    The most garcia ever has in a league is 8. Pennants is 3. Alonso is 3. Even gerrards most is 10. If you want to win a league, you will need a striker scoring 20+, or like chelsea, have lampard hitting 16 with strikers getting around 15 each, tehn other midfielders getting a 4 or 5

if liverpool got a striker who would get 20+ in a season, i honsetly believe they would win the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Considerably more in needed than a 20+ a season striker. To say that is somewhat naive to be honest.

Get your beer money on this :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'd just like to say that the Liverpool V City match at the weekend was quite possibly the worst match I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

worse than pool villa, im not sure

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I'd just like to say that the Liverpool V City match at the weekend was quite possibly the worst match I've ever seen.
    So you didn't watch Liverpool v Arsenal in the league 1989, Liverpool v Man Utd in the FA Cup Final in 1996 or Liverpool v Man Utd in the FA Cup 3rd round in 1999? They were probably the worst matches I've ever seen. The boredom of the draw on Saturday pales into comparison with those games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

As Souness was saying afterwards, Liverpool are an imitation of Chelsea, but without being as effective, or having as much flair (not saying they Chelsea have much either).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Interesting analysis of our recent south american signings (scroll down, at the bottom)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6558831.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont see how anyone couldnt see that performance coming, or expect a different one.

From Liverpools point of view, it was a nothing game with aall to lose.A cl spot is more or less wrapped up. At best, going out to win, we'd be 2 points better off but still in much the same situation. Anything less that that would mean we'd have gone all out and won at the expence of being a bit more fatigued. Follow this course further on down and worst case, we could have been caught on the break and beaten, but picked up one or more injuries. With the CL coming up, best course of action was to go as easy as possible and play out a draw. I'm more than happy with that if it means no injuries pre-cl.

As far a scity are concerned, they are more or less safe, barring somethig disasterous. A draw suites them down to the ground. A poinjt moves them closer to mathematical safety. Going gung ho to try turn 1 pretty much guarenteed point into possibly 0 by being caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

astrofool wrote:
    As Souness was saying afterwards, Liverpool are an imitation of Chelsea, but without being as effective, or having as much flair (not saying they Chelsea have much either).

well souness thought in 1992 it would be a good idea to sell all our best players, so he can basically kiss my a$$, get a job ya bum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

el rabitos wrote:
    well souness thought in 1992 it would be a good idea to sell all our best players, so he can basically kiss my a$$, get a job ya bum.

but it doesnt meant that souness isnt wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Jazzy wrote:
    but it doesnt meant that souness isnt wrong

english version?

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:
    english version?
    He probably meant that Souness isn't wrong to compare Liverpool with Chelsea by saying that Liverpool aren't as effective or have as much flair as Chelsea.

They don't happen to have Abramovich's bottomless pit of money either and that's just the tip of the iceberg of the counter argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Benitez rejected new Real offer - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6565395.stm
    "I said no to Real when they offered me more money than I get here, even though there maybe were greater expectations," said Benitez.

"Madrid may be my town but I am happy here and pleased with everything."

Another angle on the Rafa to stay story! :D

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=172807.0

Mike.

rafa having a young family is an advantage in keeping him here for a while although i think its a given at some point he will manage madrid.....maybe after he wins us the league;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Lads €489 each tickets/hotel/flight to LFC V Chelsea is that good.?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement