Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

wtf? :D

You're right but thats the breaks this season.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone know the reasons the guys on sky are talking about for steve heighway leaving as acadamy director?

I heard he was leaving a while back. Rafa is known to want to overhaul the whole youth system (hense all those new kids), new broom sweeps clean, maybe Heighway was in his way. Still if so he's gone out on a high.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Stekelly wrote:
    Anyone know the reasons the guys on sky are talking about for steve heighway leaving as acadamy director?
    Because he's feckin useless, who was the last youth player to come through ?

That and Rafa is frustrated about the lack of direction he has with the academy.

The new owners have assured Rafa of more control, which should hopefully yield better results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

zabbo wrote:

That and Rafa is frustrated about the lack of direction he has with the academy.

The new owners have assured Rafa of more control, which should hopefully yield better results!

Yeah thats two FA Youth Cup's in a row, useless bastard.:rolleyes:

In truth its nigh on impossible for any academy player to break through and sustain a place in the first team.I'd be shocked if any of this years winning team will come close.

Its tougher than ever, you only have to look at the way Arsenal have stocked thier youth set-up with guys who have already leant most of thier trade elsewhere then Highbury/Ashburton Grove polishes them up nicely.

Fair chance most will end up playing for teams like Wolves, for who Darren Potter has done very well this season.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

zabbo wrote:

Heighway is not useless. Apparently both Carra & Gerrard hold him in very high regard for what he did for them when they were going through the youth system. He has had major difficulties working with both Houllier and Benitez though. Houllier stuffed the youth system with loads of French players, and then would rather play squad players out of position in the first team rather than giving a youth team player a chance, eg once when the first choice got injured he played Biscan on the right of midfield, and ignored Richie Partridge who was doing well in the reserves, and then selling on Steven Wright, so that he could sign Abel Xavier.

I'm not sure what the issue with himself and Rafa is, but rumours are that it revolves around how so many foreign players are brought in by Rafa, and the manner in which the players are coached, and how Rafa has no say in this.

Youth team systems really are an inexact science though. Look at the Arsenal teams that won the FA Youth Cup two years running as well. The only player to make it out of that group was Cashley, and he'd made the first team squad by the time they won it anyway.

But yeah, over the past five years or so the size and quality of the squads of the big four has grown so much that of tonights team, the best of them won't get a decent chance for a couple of years, and that before then the best they can hope for is to be loaned out so that they can get some decent competitive experience and make a name for themselves like Anthony Stokes, or Adam Hammill, and from that get noticed enough to be given a chance. I was reading Dave Usher's website this week, he reckons Hammill is the best youth team player since Gerrard. So he's got a chance, the rest probably don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I honestly think there's an element of him seeing the end of an era at the club and him feeling part of that era.

Great game tonight. Really enjoyed watching it - the lads (both sets of players) really gave it their all and played some great football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Good to see the Youth team win that trophy, it should even help the senior players psychologically to a small extent - success breeds success, etc

As for the Youth system, for all the big clubs getting in 25-50 or so boys and seeing how they turn out over 5 years from 12-17 is not as effective as buying them in when they are 'nearly proven'. The buying in approach is a much bigger net and hence will get beter results. That is the plain fact of the matter and all clubs are in the same boat. The likes of a Gerrard, Carra or the Man Utd set of Beckham et all, is not likely to repeat itself anytime soon. These were anomalies rather than a system that produces results year in year out. Having said that, a youth system is good to participate in, so the big clubs wont ditch them. Hats off to Steve Heighway I think for doing what he could with the boys that he had and for trying to get them to be as good as they can. Thats all he could do. There may be differences of opinion over how its run and the outlet for the Youth Club, but the net effect is that I dont think things will change. But who knows, maybe there is a hidden nugget in there who will blossom on the scene in a couple of years? We have to look no further than Kevin Doyle who will readily admit that at 16, 17 and 18 he was a ****e footballer, his exact quote. Players can appear from nowhere. Dirk Kuyt didnjt kick a ball until he was 8. He didnt like football!

Back to other matters. One thing to watch out for in the build-up to next Tuesdays return CL leg, is how the club develop in their mindset and attitude. The match on the weekend will matter for little, but a good approach and result nonetheless would be welcome.

Some news:
    "Manager Rafa Benitez will be hoping Steve Finnan recovers from his neck injury having been included in the squad last night as a red herring.

Finnan was never fit enough to be in contention, but hopes to be available next week.

Benitez is likely to rest players rather than take a strong squad to Portsmouth this weekend for a game which has no bearing on Liverpool’s Premier League season."

I hope Finnan is back. It should help.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

redspider wrote:
    Good to see the Youth team win that trophy, it should even help the senior players psychologically to a small extent - success breeds success, etc

As for the Youth system, for all the big clubs getting in 25-50 or so boys and seeing how they turn out over 5 years from 12-17 is not as effective as buying them in when they are 'nearly proven'. The buying in approach is a much bigger net and hence will get beter results. That is the plain fact of the matter and all clubs are in the same boat. The likes of a Gerrard, Carra or the Man Utd set of Beckham et all, is not likely to repeat itself anytime soon. These were anomalies rather than a system that produces results year in year out. Having said that, a youth system is good to participate in, so the big clubs wont ditch them. Hats off to Steve Heighway I think for doing what he could with the boys that he had and for trying to get them to be as good as they can. Thats all he could do. There may be differences of opinion over how its run and the outlet for the Youth Club, but the net effect is that I dont think things will change. But who knows, maybe there is a hidden nugget in there who will blossom on the scene in a couple of years? We have to look no further than Kevin Doyle who will readily admit that at 16, 17 and 18 he was a ****e footballer, his exact quote. Players can appear from nowhere. Dirk Kuyt didnjt kick a ball until he was 8. He didnt like football!

Back to other matters. One thing to watch out for in the build-up to next Tuesdays return CL leg, is how the club develop in their mindset and attitude. The match on the weekend will matter for little, but a good approach and result nonetheless would be welcome.

Some news:
    "Manager Rafa Benitez will be hoping Steve Finnan recovers from his neck injury having been included in the squad last night as a red herring.

Finnan was never fit enough to be in contention, but hopes to be available next week.

Benitez is likely to rest players rather than take a strong squad to Portsmouth this weekend for a game which has no bearing on Liverpool’s Premier League season."

I hope Finnan is back. It should help.

Redspider

kevin was playing with me when he was 16-17 at a club called adamstown in wexford, he was far from ****e but i never thought he'd make it the way he did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Regarding the youth system again, do you think that the younger players are not ready/good enough or are the managers scared to put them out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Well, if you're good enough you're old enough etc...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Regarding the youth system again, do you think that the younger players are not ready/good enough or are the managers scared to put them out?

IMO there is just to much at stake these days,and the top managers try to eliminate any risk they can and playing a young lad is a risk.

Robbie Threlfall, Craig Lindfield, Ryan Flynn and Stephen Darby will all get senior contracts according to the Times. Meanwhile Rafa has left a number of players out for Pompey including Reina, Carra and Gerrard.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

from all the reports jay spearing seems to warrant one too. any chance we might get a look at some of the kids tomorrow, asterit adaravic (not even gonna try n spell it..) nabil el zhar or Anderson? no? ok..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Was in work didnt see the match? How did Insua do? Heard thats he's quite highly regarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

He was pretty quiet from what I saw, which I guess is a good thing for a left-back making his debut. No major fookups anyway, unlike both Paletta and Arbeloa. Hyypia was excellent though, tidied up a lot of Paletta's mistakes and tried to marshall the young'uns best he could.

El Zhar didn't have much chance to show anything, though he did make a good run on the counter but his cross wasn't the best. A pity Fowler was offside for the goal before Pompeys. If we coulda got a goal or 2 up I'm sure the other youngsters would have been given a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Idrizaj scored today for Luton town, played the full game too, now that's what we want to see, somebody going on loan, getting a game and doing something about it.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    asterit adaravic (not even gonna try n spell it..)

Just call him young Paddy Berger ;) One to watch for the future me thinks

There was never a chance of any of the lads from Thursday night featuring today - while it would have been a dream come true for them there's no way they'd have been up less than 48 hours after the youth cup final. Good to see Insua & El Zhar get a chance though although the later only got a few mins and didn't have much of a chance otherwise. Thought Insua did ok considering it was his debut. Palleta was quite poor though.

We only looked a threat when we switched to a 4-4-2 with Bellamy attacking through the center. Very odd to see a right sided winger (Pennant) playing out left with a holding midfielder (Sissoko) playing out right - esp considering there was a left sided player (Zenden - who had a decent enough game and was very unlucky not to score) playing in the center of the field.

But here's the big-ish news of the day and one that's not really featuring anywhere - Bellamy saying he'll leave in the summer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVcGO7mC26Q
    Don't see it as a major loss tbh but talk about unprofessional and crap timing wise

Just seen it (or read about it on a BBC 606 thread).

Not a suprise, that day he got pulled just after half-time (Reading match?)
    having moaned for 50 mins I reckoned he was a gonner.

EDIT! Short Welshman Speaks

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I don't blame him tbh, but isn't he shooting himself in the foot by pissing off the manager with one of the biggest games of his career in a couple of days. 'Yeah, Craig, you can sit on the bench, for sure!'

Good news in the papers today - they're all writing Liverpool off! Never be favourites.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=463919&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=2&title=Rafa+warning+to+stars&channel=football_home&

good to see rafa keeping the players on their toes and trying to stamp out complacency, must have been some bollocking he gave them considering how poor that performance was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I hope Liverpool put in an explosive performance on Tuesday, really send out a message that they're not to written off so hastily on a 1-0 away defeat. Sure if they score one goal early it's back to level peggings, and i could see that happening fairly easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Crouchy has to start and I would put Bellers up there with him, their defence will be at sixes and sevens even if Essien is in there, which will be handy because I prefer him in there than in midfield where he will have so much more influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The Bellamy thing has been quickly denied by him. I'd say the BBC Wales guy read too much into it. An off the cuff "I might be leaving at the end of the season". Of course its possible if the club sign another striker. Rafa is somewhat aloof with all the players, that is not new nor news as his style is not to get too close to them on a personal basis so he can chop and change them more easily. Gerrard wrote about it in his book.

The good news for Liverpool over the weekend was the poor showing by Chelsea. Not a 4-0 or something, and not signs of potential CL winners or even semi-final winners. That should give Liverpool hope. Whilst there is some value in the point that they are concentrating 100% on the CL, and their attitude, tempo, effectiveness, etc will be better on Tue, there is also something up at Chelsea with the shenangigan between Abramo-bitch and Mourning-ho and the team is unsettled, its clear. Also, not being favourites will suit us down to the ground, I agree Mike.

I know the lads can get a goal, and can also keep a clean sheet and will be looking for that 2nd. It may go down to extra time and penalties. So hopefully, Chelsea will run out of steam and legs and ideas. I hope Robben isnt playing as a 100% sharp Robben would be a major threat. Chelsea have missed him and Duff in a 4-3-3 formation you would not believe, imo.

Its a key game for Liverpool's season .... and I think we have every chance of doing it ..... Hold our heads up high ... and we will.

Redspider

redspider wrote:
    The Bellamy thing has been quickly denied by him.

Indeed. Denied late last night and you can read that two ways - him trying to rubbish the idea or him trying to back track like mad. Rafa will have the final say as to whether he stays or goes so speculating is a all a bit epidemic (as Del Boy would say)
    Its a key game for Liverpool's season .... and I think we have every chance of doing it ..... Hold our heads up high ... and we will.

Redspider

A key match for the 12th man if ever there was one. Anfield needs to be in full voice from long before the first ball is kicked and needs to keep going until well after the last one is kicked. If the crowd keep going the players should respond and keep going. Hopefully Gillet & Hicks will be over for it - we seem to do well when they are ;)

If Carvalho is indeed injured they'll most likely play Essien in defence so we should play Bellamy up front as Essien isn't a natural defender and Bellamy could really get to him (both in terms of play and for just being the annoying little prick that he can be) - hopefully forcing the odd free in or around the box.

And win or loose I hope Drogba picks up that extra yellow so he gets to sit out the next game - be that the final or next seasons qualifying round. He's a great player but his antics just annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Reports today say Villa will sign Bellamy for 8 million, how much did Liverpool pay for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

irish1 wrote:
    Reports today say Villa will sign Bellamy for 8 million, how much did Liverpool pay for him?

buy out clause was runoured to be 6 mill

2 million profit based on his work this season would be good business. but then villa took baros off our hands so its believable :P

And win or loose I hope Drogba picks up that extra yellow so he gets to sit out the next game - be that the final or next seasons qualifying round. He's a great player but his antics just annoy me.

He won't be playing a qualifier, Liverpool will though.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

mike65 wrote:
    He won't be playing a qualifier, Liverpool will though.
    Unless Liverpool win the CL this year ;)

I believe they've changed the rules so the champion automatically goes into the group stages, no matter where they finish in the league and the other teams are effectively pushed down a place.

Idrizaj scored today for Luton town, played the full game too, now that's what we want to see, somebody going on loan, getting a game and doing something about it.

Yeah he was quite highly rated when he arrived, austrian young player of the year etc, but apparently he's been fairly brutal whenever he played in the reserves, and his contract is up this summer, and its unlikely to be renewed.:(

el rabitos wrote:
    2 million profit based on his work this season would be good business. but then villa took baros off our hands so its believable :P

As well as taking Stanley Victor Collymore off us as well. We only lost 1.5 million on him. Whew....

I wonder what we would have been in the league this season if we'd him and fowler at their peak playing for us.

Come to think of it Villa do take alot of our cast offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Dub13 wrote:
    Come to think of it Villa do take alot of our cast offs.
    I know he went to Tottenham first but take a bow Øyvind Leonhardsen. He was the first player I thought of after Baros and Collymore. I don't think Ray Houghton deserved to be classed as a cast-off when he made the trip to Birmingham though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

and there's staunton but we did buy him back again and Crouch is a villa cast-off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They also took the mighty Patrick Berger from us. Great player, but plagued by injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Harry Kewll is back should be playing against the everton tonight.

Dean Saunders too....

• Advertisement

Dean Saunders is playing a reserve game for Liverpool? :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

mike65 wrote:
    Dean Saunders is playing a reserve game for Liverpool? :eek:

Mike.
    Well it IS only Everton. Saunders' game never revolved around speed so I'm sure he could do a job. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Reserves seem to have played great tonight. Kewell came on on 55minutes and set up a goal. Anderson got man of the match and lit up the right wing all game. Linfield scored again, really looks to have great potential. Report says himself and El Zhar caused plenty of problems together.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N155780070430-2050.htm

Thats great news, pity Anderson is'nt getting any 1st team time. Maybe in the two remaining games...?

MIke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Bumpo, no real reason, nothing happening tonight

/me whistles

:D:D:D:D:D Happy days.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sweet jesus, that header off the bar and the dissallowed goal had me feeling like we were going to get the sucker punch.
    another great home performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As soon as Dunphy said he thought Liverpool would win on penos i thought it was game over for us. Brilliant stuff from reina and co.

Start the race/hunt for Tickets....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Wooooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So who would we all prefer? United or AC?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement