Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

anyone here a lfc.tv e-season ticket holder?

If so does anyone know when i sign up do i get a fan card or is the application a seperate process?

I used to be about 3 years ago and this was the case but lfc have no record of me ever havong a fan card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Call_me_al wrote:
    anyone here a lfc.tv e-season ticket holder?

If so does anyone know when i sign up do i get a fan card or is the application a seperate process?

I used to be about 3 years ago and this was the case but lfc have no record of me ever havong a fan card.

It's a seperate application, I think it's about £5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

sigh, i am sure i applied for this a couple of months ago but cant remember. ah well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Flo agrees a 4 year EUR 4m deal with Recreativo

http://www.recreativohuelva.com/pag/noticias_detalle.asp?idnoticias=4079&seccion=Noticias

Sad to see him go but I think he's right to move on. Best of luck to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

zing wrote:
    Flo agrees a 4 year EUR 4m deal with Recreativo

http://www.recreativohuelva.com/pag/noticias_detalle.asp?idnoticias=4079&seccion=Noticias

Sad to see him go but I think he's right to move on. Best of luck to him
    how much did Liverpool get for him or was it a free transfer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

if thats true, thats ridiculous money! 4million for a player who has 11 league goals in 20 starts is ridiculous! There better be a buy back clause if he's going for that little money! To put it in context, Torres has 10, and would cost probably 5 times that, if not more! I know torres is obviously a better player, but that price gap is just nonsensical.

<<EDIT>> I wasnt paying enough attention earlier, its not even 4million sterling, its f*^king euros! 2.7mill Sterling! For 11 top flight league goals! Thats Pathetic! Im actually amazed, i think thats the worst bit of business i've ever seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

if thats true, thats ridiculous money! 4million for a player who has 11 league goals in 20 starts is ridiculous! There better be a buy back clause if he's going for that little money! To put it in context, Torres has 10, and would cost probably 5 times that, if not more! I know torres is obviously a better player, but that price gap is just nonsensical.

It's always the same ya know. Players like say Richardson will go for about 2 million, while obviously they are worth more than that (kept up West Brom for a year, what's that worth 30million?)

Failed players at top clubs always get sold for way way way below their real value. That said, Liverpool normally do much better than most clubs at selling on players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did I hear right on SSN that Milan have chosen to wear white for th efinal ( they were designated home team so had the choice) meaning Liverpool will be in Red?
    Good if true, hopefully we can continue the trend of playign in red and beating a team playing in white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Stekelly wrote:
    Did I hear right on SSN that Milan have chosen to wear white for th efinal ( they were designated home team so had the choice) meaning Liverpool will be in Red?
    Good if true, hopefully we can continue the trend of playign in red and beating a team playing in white.

Yeah - it's true. We'll be in red again.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N155835070504-0954.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Any word on the lineup for today, might be a chance to have a look at the younger lads.

• Advertisement

with Pennants knock on tuesday i'm really hoping to see something of Anderson on the right after his performance in the reserve derby.

Would image El Zhar will be on the bench at least anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Liverpool squad for match today:

Padelli, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Paletta, Insua, Gonzalez, Alonso, Sissoko, Zenden, Fowler, Bellamy, Reina, Crouch, Pennant, El Zhar, Hobbs, Anderson, Finnan.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0504/fulham.html

Gerrard to sign for liverpool for life:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8698_2106439,00.html

My guess for todays team:
    ................Padelli
    Arbeloa Hyypia Paletta Insua
    Pennant Alonso Sissoko Gonzalez
    ..........Fowler Bellamy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A few interesting items in the Liverpool 'world' of late.

Pongolle at 2.7m is reasonably good business. If Rafa doesnt have him in his plans, then better get wha we can for him, save on salary, etc.

Cisse was on Football Focus. His carrer is in a bit of a limbo situation too. Rafa lost his patience with him and loaned him out to Marseiile for his recuperation. Soundings from them and their fans sounds like he is just okay and they wont be splashing out big to keep him. Maybe Rafa can offload him to Lyon and Houllier, but Liverpool will take a big hit on the money. 6m maybe .... I think he would certainly help a kick and rush team in England. Cisse's heart is still in Liverpool especially after seeing them reach the CL final during the week. Lets hope he doesnt break his leg again.

There was also the Steve Heighway spat with Rafa. He sees it that as a control thing, his philosophy whilst being succesful with Youth Cups, etc, should have been supported by the club, even if Rafa wanted something completely different for the club's use of the youth system. A clash of thoughts and a clash of the old boot room Liverpool and the 'new system'. Heighway claims that he could have been the Liverpool manager but turned it down as he didnt want the hassle of it.

Overall, I think we have to say thanks to Steve, but now is as good as time as any to move on. Youth football is markedly different from first team football and it makes perfect sense for the manager of the 1st team to have the say in the youth system. Steve was a great player and is a good coach. Who knows, maybe he will do a Sammy Lee, who has done well at Bolton, although the proof of the pudding in how he goes from here. Being in Uefa next season would be a great platform to build on.

Thoughts?

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I never let my youth team coach / assistant take care of my reserves or youth team in Championship manager, Benitez is no different!

Obviously though, the first team manager would want some sort of seamlessness between the first team and all underage teams, you'd want to use them as grooming devices for the future first team etc. You wouldn't want different coaches wanting different things, having different opinions as to which the direcxrtib the club should go (eg foreigners dominating the youth team vs. homegrown talent). A level on homogenuity, unity has to be in place mainly because it's too expensive to assemble completely new squads, you'd ideally want some produtivity from your underage sides.

Imo Heighway had his own agenda, which didn't obviousy comply with what was good for the club overall.

Team announced:

Liverpool - Reina, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Paletta, Insua, Pennant, Alonso, Sissoko, Gonzalez, Fowler, Bellamy.

Subs - Padelli, El Zhar, Kewell, Hobbs, Finnan.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N155851070505-1420.htm

..i was close! :D

How did RTE get it wrong? Listing 7 subs! Wouldnt have imagined theyd put up anything till they had the official squad list. Kewell in, anderson, zenden and crouch out from their list anyway.

Hopefully Kewell does well today anyway after his decent performance during the week against everton. Annoyed Anderson not in the squad! whats he gotta do?!

Become Spanish maybe...

What are the odds Kewell is in Rafa's starting line up against Milan :D
    (is he actually even eligible to play in this years champions league?)

Excellent, setanta sports are showing Fulham vs Liverpool, good chance to see some of the younger players, might even get a glimpse of Harry!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Disappointing stuff from Liverpool. Rafa needs a bit of a clearout in the summer.

Gonzalez and Paletta showed yet again that they are not - and never will be - good enough for LFC. Bellamy not consistent enough, Fowler's legs are gone. Alonso was the only positive from that performance.

Hypia was good as well, I'm not sure you can fire in 3 inexperienced defenders and hope for a win.

Gonzalez seems to have slipped down the pecking order, I'd put him behind Riise and Zenden.

Rafa is giving players like Alonso, Bellamy and Gonzalez a chance to play themselves back into the starting XI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

well, that was a load of sh1t.
    started playing Quake on the 70th minute due to boredom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Yeah, you're right. Hyppia had a good game too. I know there wasn't much to play for but the performance was disappointing all the same.

Good to see Harry back but I don't see him getting match fitness in time for the final.

Ardent wrote:
    Disappointing stuff from Liverpool. Rafa needs a bit of a clearout in the summer.

Gonzalez and Paletta showed yet again that they are not - and never will be - good enough for LFC. Bellamy not consistent enough, Fowler's legs are gone. Alonso was the only positive from that performance.

Agree Bellamy was very dissapointing, fowler was unlucky but as we all know he is getting on a bit. Hopefully Alonso is starting to get a bit of form back. I was a bit worried in the first half after Reinas collision when he was holding his left shoulder!

Wont be long now until the summer transfer window. Who do you think Rafa will get rid of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I'd like to see him get rid of

Cisse, pongo, Zenden, Gonzales, Bellamy, Fowler and bring in some very quick attacking players who can play better than the above

pongolle is already sold. Id like to see Gonzalez have another year, agree with the rest. Real pity Fowler wasnt given a fighting chance this season to earn a contract renewel.

Jerzy Dudek - Needs to be sold and bring back Scott Carson

Craig Bellamy - had high hopes for him at the start of the season but he just did not deliver.

Boudewijn Zenden - just not good enough for the first team.

Djibril Cisse - hopefully spurs will do a swap deal for berbatov ;)

Gabriel Paletta - from what I have saw of him doesn't look to be up to the standard

Harry Kewell - just back from injury maybe one more season but he is starting to age now if we want to sell him in the future

Robbie Fowler - Sad to see him go but is showing his age...unless he agrees to play for free :D

Mark Gonzalez - Would give him one more season as he is still very young

Pennant - For most of this season didn't think he was good enough but the last few games he is showing signs of improvement

darkskol wrote:
    Robbie Fowler - Sad to see him go but is showing his age...unless he agrees to play for free :D

The money isnt an issue, I really doubt Fowler is on or expects to be on huge money. It's just down to whether Rafa plays him or not and I cant understand why he gave him a contract and then just didnt play him.

• Advertisement

me neither, was very unfair. After his performances last season he definately far more starts and far far more 20min spells at ends of games. Would have been great if he had had a reason to stay fit and sharp all season. If he'd play more i could have seen him becoming like Bergkamp for us.

He's not fit for games though, he's only fit to come on sparingly imo

At the start of the season he was. Looked a lot fitter and sharper then he did last season even. After months of barely playing at all, his fitness has slipped away.

Yeah, he really busted his hump and got fit for the start of the season, then seemed to lose interest are losing faith (in rafa I assume) because of not playing. Cant blame him, I'd imagine he was confident of playing a decent part in the season, which can only be because of things rafa told him.

I really hope he gets a CL winners medal to take with him. He'll have a good set (FA cup, League cup, Charity Shield (do you get a medal for that?) UEFA cup medal and CL medal), unfortunate he didnt get a PL medal.

Could still have a say in the final yet. Would absolutely love to see him score the winning goal!

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Could still have a say in the final yet. Would absolutely love to see him score the winning goal!

We can only drem :) would be the best final ever if that happened.

I'd give him a 50 year contract if that happened (not that I wouldnt anyway)

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote:

We can only dream, imagine this Liverpool 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go. Fowler comes on and scores a hat trick to win the game 3-2. Fowler goes home with a CL medal and the match ball. Now that would be the perfect ending for such a great player for Liverpool over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Dont know why people want rid of Gonzalez, talk about knee-jerk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

darkskol wrote:
    Harry Kewell - just back from injury maybe one more season but he is starting to age now if we want to sell him in the future

Mark Gonzalez - Would give him one more season as he is still very young

Pennant - For most of this season didn't think he was good enough but the last few games he is showing signs of improvement

Totally disagree with these 3. Pennant has proven to be a good singing considering the money that has been spent on him. He may not be good enough to play week in and week out for a team with title aspirations but he is more than good enough to be used as cover or in rotation for a first choice right winger.

Similar situation with Gonzalez to be honest. He is a young player in his first season in England. He needs to be given at least another season to prove his worth. At that, still of sufficient quality with enough pace to be used sparingly based purely on this seasons performances.

As for Kewell. I still have faith in Harry being able to offer the club something. References to the CL final where he limped off are really frustrating as he was genuinely injured and was not faking it as some would like to think.

found this little tidbit earlier. Alfonso Alves from Heerenveen saying he'd like to join pool, while he was still at Malmo. Could be an interesting target, 34 league goals in 31 games in the Eredivisie! Pretty incredible record really. If the money was right i wouldnt mind taking a risk on him. Have seen links between him and chelsea too though..

Vid all from this season; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=920aMpWX9nc

"I have got two years left at Malmo and am just thinking about playing here but it is obvious that I would like to play for a big club in Europe. Liverpool is a really good club."
    http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s386/st83707.htm

Pretty big strong guy, from that vid seems to have a bit of pace when he needs it, a natural goalscorer and a savage freekick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Just looking at the premership table for the season
    Looking at liverpools failed to score record, they have failed to score in 13 games this season.
    That is an absolute disgrace.
    Its the same as wigan and charlton and they are both more or less regulated.
    To put it in context there are only 4 teams with a worse record.
    A quality striker is an absolute priority
    Like to hear all this talk about Tevez to b honest.
    He has all of belamys qualities with none of the drawbacks oh and he can
    also finish.
    He also seems to have a huge workrate and an excellent attitude
    Having masch alreally at the club should also help swing it in liverpools favour
    Would be a brilliant way to spend 1/3 the money it would cost for a villa or a torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

agreed plus he seems to be settling into the premiership just nicely now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

IrishMike wrote:
    Just looking at the premership table for the season
    Looking at liverpools failed to score record, they have failed to score in 13 games this season.
    Its the same as wigan and charlton and they are both more or less regulated.
    That is pretty shocking! I knew it was bad but I just didn't know how bad. Tevez looks to have adjusted to the Premiership well now. I watched West Ham v Wigan and he certainly looked an excellent player. The thing is though, regarding the price tag, were himself and Mascherano not being quoted as worth £15 million each or something like that? In which case, he's not really going to be a third of the price of Torres or Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

id be interested to see the amount of goals scored from corners and free kicks, i have a feeling it would be a pretty poor ratio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Liverpool's problem is they set their stall out to play defensively, and nick a goal here and there to win matches. This works alot, but not enough to win the league. Chelsea play this way also, but have the midfield and defence to not let in a goal, and are usually able to get a second and make it 'safe'. Utd usually concede (though they had as good a defensive record till rio/vidic got injured), but are always out to get more goals, and this season got them.

I don't think any striker by himself will change this problem, Liverpool have to change to a more attacking line up, and risk conceding more. It also means that if Liverpool do go a goal behind, they find it very hard to get back into the game (barcelona being the exception of course :)), but I don't think you would see the current 'pool setup coming from 2 behind to win 4-2 against Everton.

You also have to remember re: goals conceded, Utd and Chelsea have both had alot of defensive injuries, whereas 'pool have had relatively good luck in injuries this season defensively.

Yeah, I've seen more or less every Liverpool game this season, and the only thing to expect from a set piece is that we might get hit on the break.

This seriously needs to be addressed, the only player capable of attacking the ball from a set piece is Sami Hypia, no-one else seems to understand.

Again this depends on delivery, Gerrard should never be allowed to take a corner, he should either be on the box as he is a threat in the air (6"+ and his reaction to loose balls). Alonso should take the corners and free kicks, failing that Masch / Riise / Finnan.

We've missed Luis Garcia this season, he's a match winner in tight games, as much as he frustrates, he is capable of unlocking defences.

Roll on next season, We need to make a proper challenge for the title, and that means beating the top4 clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

rafa had better make sure he gets it right next season, because next season and the year after max will be all the time he's going to get imo

remove the cl final from this years campaign and its a very poor season. nothing but a marked improvement and a sustained challenge for the league will be enough to appease many fans over the next couple of years. another couple of seasons with a stroll to 3rd or 4th and a token domestic cup wont be enough considering the backing rafa can expect in the coming seasons.

i'm expecting a marked improvement next season or the club will have to start looking at where they expect to be. its going to be rafas first season with significant financial backing so i'm excited to see how the team gets on, i just dont want the push for the league finished in november again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?HLID=465305&CPID=8&title=Jewell+blasts+Reds+rotation&lid=&channel=Football_Home&f=rss&clid=111
    Wigan boss Paul Jewell has hit out at Liverpool for fielding an under-strength side against Fulham.

"We are not down in this position because of Fulham or because of the situation at West Ham or because Liverpool have rested nine players, but events have conspired against us."

Cry me a river Paul.

Jewell the whinger, perhaps if kept some of his decent players last season, like Jason Roberts, Bullard and Chimbonda !

The side Rafa put out was good enough to beat Fulham, and should have, Fowler had 2 great chances.

Wonder what he'll say when WH play ManU, the league already won, do you think ManU will be going for it.

its the last game of the season, at home, United will want to win it for the fans so i couldnt see a half hearted effort being put in, though with the form West Ham are on, still wouldnt discount them winning.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement