Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

malice_ wrote:
    That is pretty shocking! I knew it was bad but I just didn't know how bad. Tevez looks to have adjusted to the Premiership well now. I watched West Ham v Wigan and he certainly looked an excellent player. The thing is though, regarding the price tag, were himself and Mascherano not being quoted as worth £15 million each or something like that? In which case, he's not really going to be a third of the price of Torres or Villa.

Well the price being quoted for villa is at least £40 million
    And Tevez is in the £12-£15 million bracket.
    Still think he would be a much better buy than darren bent, trezeguet etc
    If i had my way kuyt would be the only striker liverpool would keep.
    Crouch just isnt clinical enough and when he plays it turns liverpool into a long
    ball team, exactly like what happened with Heskey.

For Crouch + £3-£4 million you could probably get someone like Diego Milito
    They guy has all Crouchs attributes and is twice as clinical.
    He is also a big strong very mobile centre forward along the lines of Drogba
    Would be a surefire hit in the premiership.
    For me 4 strikers for next year: Tevez, Milito, Kuyt, Voronin.
    It would probably cost £30 million to get them both but its better than
    paying £10 million each for 3 average players who you hope will come good.

A club like Liverpool has to challenge next season and to do that you have
    to buy class, which means you have to pay big money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The thing about Tevez is, it all depends on who owns him.
    If West Ham own him, you think they are gona give him up for 12-15 million? Why would they do that?
    If MSI own him, since they bought him with the expressed intention of making a profit, why would they sell him at 12-15 million either?
    That said, maybe there is some dodgy stuff going on, and they have to offload him. I think his price will remain a mystery until he is signed to be honest, but I can't see any reason why it would be so low.

Mascherano was a different situation, as he had not proved himself in the premiership like Tevez has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Heh, from what you said there it doesn't matter who owns him they're both gonna want more than 12-15 million!:p If west ham go down then they'll have to sell him and probably sell to the highest bidder which would naturally raise his price tag.
    Anyway i'd like to see him at merseyside and I'd say liverpool'd suit him tbh, due to the spanish speaking contingent and work ethic of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Heh, from what you said there it doesn't matter who owns him they're both gonna want more than 12-15 million!:p If west ham go down then they'll have to sell him and probably sell to the highest bidder which would naturally raise his price tag.
    Anyway i'd like to see him at merseyside and I'd say liverpool'd suit him tbh, due to the spanish speaking contingent and work ethic of the players.

Think Liverpool would have to be his favoured destination considering the above and that his mate Masch is there!

Is anyone else really looking forward to seeing Aurelio next season? He was really starting to play class before he got injured, please god he can re-discover that form when he gets back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

I'd like to see him improve defensively but his crossing is excellent and we need him to take corners! Again i hope he not one of those who gets injured and then loses his ability, that'd suck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

yeah im looking forward to aurelio's return too. Gonzalez played his best football of the season when linking up with aurelio as well, they had a great left sided partnership working when Fabio got injured, which just doesnt seem to work so well with Riise, arbeloa or more recently Insua.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lads, make sure you have your Crouchinho mask for the CL Final - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/bsp/hi/football/pdf/crouch.pdf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody thinking about heading to Athens check out the Soccer Tickets & Travel forum as IrishKop have today confirmed that we have a chartered flight heading over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Today's newspaper gossip:
    A £9m release clause in Newcastle forward Michael Owen's contract has alerted Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea. (Various)

Real Zaragoza defender Gaby Milito has pleaded for the chance to join Liverpool after they lined up a £10m player-plus-cash deal involving Mark Gonzalez. (Daily Mirror)

Charlton have admitted that they face a massive fight to hang on to Darren Bent after being relegated to the Championship, with Liverpool, Tottenham, Newcastle and West Ham all keen to land the striker. (Various)

Liverpool are keeping tabs on Palermo's Brazilian-born striker Amauri. (The Sun)

James McCarthy has rejected a move to Liverpool that would have earned Hamilton Accies £1m for the 16-year-old midfielder. (The Sun/Mirror)

That Gonzales for Milito rumour is a strange one. With Hyppia getting older, we might be a little thin at the back, but with some promising youth, it's not a major concern. Wouldn't mind a swap for his brother Diego though!

I wouldn't be keen on Bent, and I certainly wouldn't be enthusiastic about Owen coming back. He messed the club around over his contract last time, and he's a bit of a crock nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i dont know anything about amauri but as for the others i plain dont want them

You can say what you want about Owen, but he's still a ****ing amazing player. If he rejoins Liverpool, I think he could be a huge step in making them a challenger again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I remember we were trying to sign G. Militio a while back, but I'd agree with what someone already mentioned we have a few promising CB so no need for another. But his brother on the other hand...

dont know about Owen, he is class there is no doubting that. But i'd be suprised if he left Newcastle. He has something to prove there and has collected 10 million in wages in his time there so imagine he might feel he owes them something. Not sure.

Think Liverpool do need a new CB, Hypia will probably be gone in the summer, Agger has made the step up to first choice with Carra well but we'll need another - dont think Palleta looks up it to be honest.

There's youths though, Jack Hobbs being one.

And about Owen didnt he deny that there was an escape clause in his contract when he signed it? He hasn't signed a new one has he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

PHB wrote:
    You can say what you want about Owen, but he's still a ****ing amazing player. If he rejoins Liverpool, I think he could be a huge step in making them a challenger again.

QFT

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

PHB wrote:
    Rubbish. He was crap in the last year he was with us, and he's done little decent since.

Slurms wrote:
    There's youths though, Jack Hobbs being one.

And about Owen didnt he deny that there was an escape clause in his contract when he signed it? He hasn't signed a new one has he?

and do you realistically think that Jack Hobbs etc can make the step up this year? because if they can't Paletta is our only cover if Hypia leaves.

The whole Owen transfer was weird.
    Remember watching an interview with him before Newcastles first visit to Anfield with him playing and he was pretty much saying that he didn't want to go to Newcastle and he was always holding out for Liverpool. But that now that he was at Newcastle he was happy. But he said he did wanna play for Liverpool again. Remember it cause i thought it was very strange for him to be saying that before playing against Liverpool.

If that is the case that he wants to come back to Liverpool and would be available for 9 million. I think he'd be worth it.

Owens a crock, 13 games in 2 years at Newcaslte, at 17million, and he'll leave for 9million, he has no morals, none whatsoever, remember he left to win trophies at Real in 2005 and only returned because his England place was in doubt.

Owen plays for England first, then whatever club.

I'd rather spend 9mil on someone who is at least available to play the whole season.

G. Milito could be a good move, if only it was his brother, I'd take him, but it would mean investment in a left side MF.

We already have a left winger coming in this summer, Sebastian Leto. Though reports I've heard haven't been too promising.

Rubbish. He was crap in the last year he was with us, and he's done little decent since.

Owen was incredible for Real Madrid. He scores an incredible amount of goals per game, but he just wasn't given his chance. He's been unlucky with injuries, but if he came back, he'd instantly be Liverpool's best striker. Every team has players nobody likes, that's the way it goes. Once they do it on the pitch is all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Owen is shagged. Far too injury ridden. What are the odds of him staying injury-free for even 6 months?

After Cissé and Kewell, the last thing we need is to take Owen back.

Owen was incredible for Real Madrid. He scores an incredible amount of goals per game, but he just wasn't given his chance. He's been unlucky with injuries, but if he came back, he'd instantly be Liverpool's best striker. Every team has players nobody likes, that's the way it goes. Once they do it on the pitch is all that matters.
    There's no doubt that he is, on his day, a world class striker. Sadly, his day hasn't come too often over the last few seasons.

He is more than unlucky with injuries. His hamstrings seem to be something of a recurring problem, and everytime he's out, it takes him 5 or 6 games to get on form again and resume scoring. He can't be relied on over any length of time to score goals. His pace also isn't anywhere near what it was (remember France 98?), which is a major part of his game.

So, there's all that, and there's the fact that he mucked Liverpool about and went off to Madrid to try to win the Champions League with them. I don't think players like Gerrard and Carragher, who have pledged themselves to the club, would particularly appreciate that attitude if he returned. It really wouldn't surprise me if he did go to United.

£9 million may seem like good value, but he's never going to play a full campaign without a spell on the sidelines, and he brings too much baggage with him for me. I'd take relegated bargain buys like Bent or Tevez ahead of him. Defoe would probably be available for similar money as well.

Y'know if Owen really is available for 9million, i think its actually probably worth the risk for 2 reasons.

1) In the new Liverpool setup he wont be expected to start every game like he used to so much better chance of him staying fit, and he wont be as missed when he's gone with crouch kuyt and voronin (assuming bellers leaves)

2) Reports are that this time he has put extra care into building himself up to try and stop his injuries happening again, strengthened his upper body a noticeable amount as well, this all coupled with Point 1, means maybe he could last a season. He managed to go a full season injury free at Madrid because he wasnt played as much, which was probably a bit of a blessing as much as a curse. Now he'd obviously be playing more at pool then he did there, but not an extreme amount more..

Also realistically, could we really get Tevez for 9mill? i doubt it considering the interest theres going to be in him. Defoe i have no interest in. Even Bent could cost more, and he's no stranger to injury layoffs either, and is definately not of Owens calibre. If we have the finances to go for Eto'o then all well and good, but if not, Owen at 9mill sounds good.

Thats purely footballing reasons on a personal level im more reserved to it, am still annoyed at him for feckin the club around a bit before, but he definately regrets it with whats happened to pool since he left so maybe its lesson learned.

On the other rumours, Gabriel Milito i have no interst in now, especially in a 10mill deal! He's also very small so not sure how he'd fit in..if we get another CB it only needs to be someone as backup, no point spending 10mill on a sub, and i definately dont want agger dropped down. Also wanna keep Gonzalez around for one more season.

Its a pity about McCarthy, Rafa saw a lot in him, was very impressed. And i dont know anything about this Amauri chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

What happens though if you pay £9 million for a player who can play 15 games a season
    As someone already said it takes him an age to get his form back after injury
    Cant see it working although he does play well in a defensively minded team as
    seen under houllier.
    As for Amauri 8 goals in 18 games this season and 20 in 90 games in the 3
    seasons before that doesnt exactly fill you with confidence that he will be the
    man to score left right and centre next season
    Would be a big fan of Milito, he is a big strong and quick CB who would adapt
    well to the premiership. Isnt too much else around of his quality for that price.

IrishMike wrote:
    What happens though if you pay £9 million for a player who can play 15 games a season
    Thats the risk though, and why he might be available for a price like that. If there wasn't the risk he would probably be double that price at least. If he only plays 15 games then its a failed risk, but if on the other hand he plays say 30 to 35 games of a season then its a massive success.

Would be a big fan of Milito, he is a big strong and quick CB who would adapt
    well to the premiership. Isnt too much else around of his quality for that price.

He's only 5ft 10", very small for a CB so not too sure about that...thats apparantly the reason the big move to Real Madrid never happened, they werent confident having such a small CB. That and worries about a long standing knee injury they felt has never healed fully.

I think 10mill is pretty expensive for a 3rd choice CB to be honest! All well and good if we needed a top quality 1st choice one, but we dont..

There's no doubt that he is, on his day, a world class striker. Sadly, his day hasn't come too often over the last few seasons.

He is more than unlucky with injuries. His hamstrings seem to be something of a recurring problem, and everytime he's out, it takes him 5 or 6 games to get on form again and resume scoring. He can't be relied on over any length of time to score goals. His pace also isn't anywhere near what it was (remember France 98?), which is a major part of his game.

So, there's all that, and there's the fact that he mucked Liverpool about and went off to Madrid to try to win the Champions League with them. I don't think players like Gerrard and Carragher, who have pledged themselves to the club, would particularly appreciate that attitude if he returned. It really wouldn't surprise me if he did go to United.

£9 million may seem like good value, but he's never going to play a full campaign without a spell on the sidelines, and he brings too much baggage with him for me. I'd take relegated bargain buys like Bent or Tevez ahead of him. Defoe would probably be available for similar money as well.

Can't see there being a problem if he came back with morale etc.

Gerrard and Carragher both said very publically that the other summer when he went to Newcastle, they were both opening the papers everyday praying that they'd read that he was signing for Liverpool again.

Gerrard also slated the fans that were boo-ing Owen when he made his return to Anfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

James McCarthy has rejected a move to Liverpool that would have earned Hamilton Accies £1m for the 16-year-old midfielder. (The Sun/Mirror)

FFS! little *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You forget that Gerrard was mere hours away from signing for Chelsea to win trophies before having a last minute change of heart. What if he had signed before he changed his mind, would you take him back after a few years at Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea I don't see Gerrard and Owen being much different. Both driven by ambition, Owen just made a wrong decision. Still don't want him back though.

And McCarthy, all I can say is fair play to the lad for deciding to stay put for another season. He'd just be slung into the reserves for 4 years at Liverpool anyway, then shipped off to the Championship.

You forget that Gerrard was mere hours away from signing for Chelsea to win trophies before having a last minute change of heart. What if he had signed before he changed his mind, would you take him back after a few years at Chelsea?

No. Honestly, I would have been gutted if he had moved to Chelsea. As it went, the fact that he chose to stay at Liverpool made him move up in my esteem. Though he was undoubtedly financially rewarded for staying with Liverpool, he can be commended for refusing the undoubtedly appealing move to Chelsea.

Had he moved to Chelsea, he'd have basically said that playing for Liverpool didn't mean anything to him - and I believe, as nostaglic as it may be, that Liverpool can do without those type of players.

Owen's behaviour was ridiculous though. He and his agent led the club down the garden path for the whole season, and then at the 11th hour revealed he wasn't going to sign, forcing Liverpool to make a quick deal for a relative pittance.

• Advertisement

G. Milito is 5'10" and thats too small for a Centre Half ? Horseballs :)

What heights Fabio Cannavaro ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then whats been happening? :)

Mike.

I only said it as previous person said he was a Big Guy who'd have no trouble adapting to the Premiership.

To be honest when we were interested 2 years ago, it was obvious we'd be taking a slight risk on him with his long term knee injury (which thankfully seems to not trouble him, but was a major worry at the time) and his stature being up to the premiership. He's supposed to be brilliant positionally to make up for it (a la Paul McShane).

Its not my reason for not wanting him anyway, my reason is he'll cost ten mill (including losing Gonzalez) when I really don't think we need him. We've a mountain of CB's in the reserves and on loan Rafa's already brought in (Antwi, Hobbs, Roque, Huth etc) so whats the point in having any of them if one cant step up to be 3rd choice, when thats all we need. We have a top class first choice pair no point spending that kind of money when other positions need it more.

Read this and laugh (well I did)

From Guardian
    Sir Alex Ferguson has taunted Liverpool ahead of their Champions League final against Milan, claiming there is "no way" they can win, and promising to toast their failure with a bottle of wine he was given by coach Carlo Ancelotti.

Milan knocked United out of the Champions League last Wednesday with a stunning 3-0 win in the second leg of their semi-final at the San Siro, after which Ferguson immediately told Ancelotti his side would go on to win the tournament. Ferguson's greatest focus this season has been wresting the domestic title back off Chelsea but having secured his ninth Premiership triumph at the weekend, he was clearly relishing the opportunity today to once again direct his attention towards his old rivals.

Article continues
    [AD]
    "I told Carlo at the end of our semi-final that there is no way he can now not win this competition," said Ferguson. "Carlo gave me a magnificent bottle of wine. But I immediately told him there is no point in giving such a wonderful gift if he then fails in the final. In fact, I told him I would only drink his wine once I see him lifting the Champions Cup."

Mike.

What a stupid thing to say.

Bitter man - just because as a manager, he can't really seem to cut in Europe he seems to think that Liverpool have no chance. Honestly thought that it was more a case of UTD blowing it italy (without taking away from Milans performance) hence the reason Ferguson wants to make it out that it wasnt his fault.

By the way Mike, good to have ya back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what an arrogant ass!

does he not remember we won it against the same team 2 yrs ago!

we wont give milan the space united did, ferguson is tactically naive at european level and he was found out against milan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

That kinda behaviour by fergie reminds me of a spoilt child. Wah wah wah we can't have the CL so the only team that can are those who knocked us out. Boo hoo. If Liverpool win, he'll be off hiding somewhere eating his words, "unavailable for comment".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

In fairness though Milan were awesome against Man U and it's easy to see where he's comnig from (aside from the blatant stirring that is!)

claiming there is "no way" they can win, and promising to toast their failure with a bottle of wine

Easy to see where he's coming from, with comments like that ^ ? No, it's not. If there was "no way" Liverpool could win, why doesn't he stake all his money on Milan to win, double his fortune in 90 mins. Put his money where his mouth is, literally.

• Advertisement

Man, Liverpool fans are too easy to rise! It's only a comment, just Fergie's way of indirectly inspiring his rivals!

Fair enough, although the sad fact is he's serious.

So thank Fergie when Liverpool win their second European Cup in three years against Milan!

I think fergie's the last person I'll be thanking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

fergie can take the premiership trophy and stick it crown end first up his...um....jumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

el rabitos wrote:
    fergie can take the premiership trophy and stick it crown end first up his...um....jumper.

so does that mean you don't want it anymore? :p

Fergie's just being Fergie. as said elsewhere he wants to see Milan win because he ultimately wants to say he went out against the best side. it's more for his and his teams ego than anything else.

Edit: or maybe he secretly wants ye to win it, but wont say it out loud because of the whole rivaly, instead he tries to wind ye up so ye'll be even more up for it? =P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Man, Liverpool fans are too easy to rise! It's only a comment, just Fergie's way of indirectly inspiring his rivals!

no ****.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    no ****.

kdjac
    What does that add to the thread? :p

Voronin has started english lessons and is hyped up for the move to Merseyside. Judging from his record can't see him being our 20 goal a season striker but ya never know I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6641719.stm

Personally I think it's disgusting that 20,000 tickets go to the "UEFA family".

Bloody outrage. Such ticketing should be restricted to no more than 10% of total. I suspect the place will still look and sound like a home game, mind!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

[QUOTE=mike65 I suspect the place will still look and sound like a home game, mind!

Mike.[/QUOTE]

I am hoping it will but it will be a disgrace that the real fans will have to pay through the nose for a ticket from touts outside our allocation of 17000 :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement