Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'm sure the UEFA family make a hefty profit when those tickets are sold on to the real fans. it's all a crock of sh*t, and it's only getting worse each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

who or what is the "uefa family"? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

el rabitos wrote:

Official sponsors and other hangers on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dont know if it's been mentioned but what about Benni McCarthy as a signing? Doinbg great stuff this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He has been very good and adapted very quickly alright, id prefer we sign someone younger though, more long term, Benni's 30 his year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keep your eyes on Tevez. Thats all I'll say.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I don't think there are many eyes off Tevez right now. Not just at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

"ARe you Bannor is disguise, Are you bannor in disguise"

Have you ever seen me and Bannor in the same room?! :D

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    I have heard this from a WHU fan who proclaims insider knowledge as well. Hopefully he is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

well, seems we're close to signing yet another Holding Midfielder...i take it Rafa's never heard the phrase, too many holding midfielders spoils the broth.,

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=466027&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=2&title=Liverpool+close+to+Lucas+deal
    Liverpool have won the race for Brazilian midfielder Lucas, according to his club Gremio.

The 20-year-old has long been linked with a move for Europe, as his impressive displays as the holding midfielder for Gremio have caught the eye of watching scouts.

Gremio have claimed a host of teams came calling, but stated Liverpool acted quickly to wrap up the transfer.

"We did business very fast with Liverpool because there was a lot of interest," Gremio secretary Alfredo Oliveira told Radio Bandeirantes.

"Lucas travelled to England to present himself and although there are a few little details to be resolved, I can say that the transfer has been arranged and that Lucas will join his new team once Gremio's participation in the Copa Libertadores ends."

It is believed that Liverpool have paid in the region of £8million for the Brazil international.

Gremio are in the quarter-finals of the Copa Libertadores, but Lucas should link-up with The Reds for pre-season in order to put pressure on the likes of Mohamed Sissoko, Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano.

At this point, surely Rafa must be planning on one of the lads leaving or something..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

~Rebel~ wrote:
    well, seems we're close to signing yet another Holding Midfielder...i take it Rafa's never heard the phrase, too many holding midfielders spoils the broth.,

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=466027&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=2&title=Liverpool+close+to+Lucas+deal

At this point, surely Rafa must be planning on one of the lads leaving or something..

yea i just saw that myself this mornin, surely a winger should be rafas priority, for the third year in a row he's pretty much failed to sort out the left wing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

el rabitos wrote:

the godfathers by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i wouldnt be surprised to see Xabi go, especially if he doesnt start in the CL Final, also maybe the Masch deal wont be made permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

VinnyL wrote:
    yea i just saw that myself this mornin, surely a winger should be rafas priority, for the third year in a row he's pretty much failed to sort out the left wing

Its the 11th of May for christ sake,Rafa will have other signings in the wings,wingers and a striker i'd say.
    Anyone know if this guy is anyuse?good to see us signing exciting y
    oung players,we lost out on Vidic due to alack of funds last year

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

raven136 wrote:
    Its the 11th of May for christ sake,Rafa will have other signings in the wings,wingers and a striker i'd say.
    Anyone know if this guy is anyuse?good to see us signing exciting y
    oung players,we lost out on Vidic due to alack of funds last year

still though, 8 million isn't exactly chump change and now we have alonso, mascherano, sissoko, lucas. all pretty much holding midfielders.

I would have thought we could spend the money elsewhere, buying a 30 million striker rather than a 20 million one for instance. but of course in rafa we trust...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

copacetic wrote:
    still though, 8 million isn't exactly chump change and now we have alonso, mascherano, sissoko, lucas. all pretty much holding midfielders.

I would have thought we could spend the money elsewhere, buying a 30 million striker rather than a 20 million one for instance. but of course in rafa we trust...

I have to admit, i think that Alonso may be on his way out in the summer, sad to see his go but being honest he hasn't exactly set the world alight in the last year. if we could get a good chunk of money for him i almost think it might be the right option. Surely if Hargreaves is worth 20 Million Alonso is surely worth 25-30 million?

I'd prefer to see Momo go though ( i know he's only young ) because even when not at his best, Alonso is solid, felt great confidence in him not to do anything stupid when he came on against Chelsea, i had every confidence he'd do all he had to. Can't really say the same about Momo.

suddenly that song "we all dream of a team of carraghers" isnt looking so far fetched

4 keepers on the books and now 4 defencive midfielders, probably sign a double decker bus next week to park infront of the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

as long as ye win a European Cup every couple of years, eh?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've heard incredible things about Lucas. Supposed to be a cracking player.

Hopefully Xabi won't go, tbh I'd rather see the back of Sissoko.

Slurms wrote:
    I've heard incredible things about Lucas. Supposed to be a cracking player.

I wonder will they send him out on loan for a year to get accustomed to English football. He'll learn much slower stuck in the reserves and just playing the odd game. Imagine Tevez in the same situation this year if he was with us?. He'd be getting ready to be sent on a slow boat back to South America labeled a failure like Gonzalez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Fowler is gone in the summer, contract not being extended.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6646921.stm
    Fowler to leave Anfield in summer
    Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler has confirmed his contract will not be extended at the end of this season.

The popular striker's deal runs out in the summer and he has been told by Reds manager Rafael Benitez he is free to leave Anfield.

"I have not even thought about my future beyond Liverpool," he told the Liverpool Echo.

"The manager explained the situation to me this week and I wasn't a bit surprised to be honest."

Leaves a spot open for a new number 9, please not Cisse, sad to see him go but he had his comeback and may get to play his last LFC game in the CL Final and maybe even a winners medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Stky10 wrote:
    I wonder will they send him out on loan for a year to get accustomed to English football. He'll learn much slower stuck in the reserves and just playing the odd game. Imagine Tevez in the same situation this year if he was with us?. He'd be getting ready to be sent on a slow boat back to South America labeled a failure like Gonzalez.
    i don't think that holding midfielders by their very nature need as much time to adopt to the premiership. They're holding midfielders because they're tough and break up play, it's part of who they are. Gonzalez definitely needs more time, he'd be my tip to do well this season, i can see him getting a bit of stength and confidence up. I can't remember the last time liverpool had a good winger on each side though, they'd be an entirely different team if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

It's official. I remember hearing Tim Vickery on BBC 5live saying that Lucas is destined for great things. Fee around £5m not £8m according to Bascombe.
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=reds-sign-brazilian-star%26method=full%26objectid=19087554%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Rafa seems to be looking for a competent system of 2 Holding Midfielders, ala Baraja & Albelda at Valencia.

Found some Lucos stuff on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYqKzNlxclw&mode=related&search= and his wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Leiva

"“He’s a player with a lot of quality who we watched playing for the Brazil Under-20s,” Benitez said today.

“He will be ready to join the first team squad from the start of next season. He's a very good signing for us and likes to be an attacking midfielder, but he has many qualities.

“We've now reached an agreement for the player to join us.”

Leiva will be the second South American to join the Reds this summer, following Argentinian left winger Sebastian Leto."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There is certainly a lot of positive sentiment about Lucas Leiva.

He was player of the season 2006 in the Brazilian Serie A. I don't think he's a holding midfielder from what I've heard, Benitez said, "He's a very good signing for us and likes to be an attacking midfielder, but he has many qualities.".

He's played 5 games for Brazil under 20s and scored 3 times (which would be shockingly high for a holding midfielder). He's also been called up to the full Brazil squad, although as of yet has not played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

think 2 of the papers today said rafa will let Carson go for the 4-6 mill mark.We should be looking for more or keeping him on this seasons performances,but the young Italian kid is meant to be fantastic.
    Dont see us signing a 20-30 mill striker,could see Milito or another 10-15 mill player coming in with two wide men.
    For me it would be alves on the right but nobody jumps out at me for the wide left.Silva at Valencia looks a great player but could we afford him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Jesus Nevas from Sevilla for the right hand position, but he's maybe too similar to Gonzalez.

I'd rather not deal with Sevilla again, or indeed any Spanish team when trying to nick their players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

griffdaddy wrote:
    i don't think that holding midfielders by their very nature need as much time to adopt to the premiership. They're holding midfielders because they're tough and break up play, it's part of who they are. Gonzalez definitely needs more time, he'd be my tip to do well this season, i can see him getting a bit of stength and confidence up. I can't remember the last time liverpool had a good winger on each side though, they'd be an entirely different team if they did.

I dont know why people seem to be tipping Gonzalez to do really well. He hasnt impressed in ANY of the games hes played in this season. He has looked completely out of his league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Valencia have three top class wingers in Silva, Vicente and Joaquin. Surely they could be persuaded to part with one of them? I'd welcome any of them in a 'pool shirt!

• Advertisement

Vicente's been riddled with injuries recently, don't want another Kewell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Robbie Fowler is leaving again!
    sad to see it. He was a class player in his day. he'd finish anything. used to love watching him. he got me really interested in soccer.
    he was god.

i even went especially to a liverpool leeds game a couple of years ago just to see him play and didn't he sign for man city a coule of days before doh :rolleyes:

don't know why rafa brought him back. Was it just to keep the fans happy. i think it was cause he didn't play him and when he did it was always ina weakened team. robbie actually did well sored a couple of prem and cl goals

i hope he gets to play at charlton his last home game and scores in front of the kop. the place would go cracked.

you never know rafa might play him at some stage in the cl final and i'll be there in person to see him for the first and last time.
    now that would be amazing and a once ina lifetime opportunity :eek: :D

He's definitely starting against Charlton, Rafa said so.

Unfortunately Dudek is injured so he won't get to bow out at Anfield. Reina is out to so the young Italian Padelli looks set to start.

The Stun are saying Tevez is rated at 31 million and is heading for Milan or Sevilla (who deffo don't have 31 million to splash out).

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    The Stun are saying Tevez is rated at 31 million and is heading for Milan or Sevilla (who deffo don't have 31 million to splash out).

Mike.
    Unless they sell Alves to us :p

31mil is what MSI want, no way they'll get it though. they'd struggle to get 20 i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

so does Tevez have a contract with West Ham then? How did he sign for nothing? Why weren't MSI looking for money when he joined WH? Was it a shop window type thing? I'm still baffled by the whole saga...

so does Tevez have a contract with West Ham then? How did he sign for nothing? Why weren't MSI looking for money when he joined WH? Was it a shop window type thing? I'm still baffled by the whole saga...

i dont think anyone outside the clubs really know. MSI say they still own him, but West Ham tore up the deal with them which might suggest they own him now.... its a real mess.

Just listening to bbc fivelive, Freddie Shepherd was caught on mp3 by a couple of Liverpool fans saying, to the the lads enquiring about Owen that he'd "carry him back to Anfield" and was availible for 9 million.

Mike.

Fupp! We're the most viewed thread, evarrrrrrrrrrr!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

mike65 wrote:
    Just listening to bbc fivelive, Freddie Shepherd was caught on mp3 by a couple of Liverpool fans saying, to the the lads enquiring about Owen that he'd "carry him back to Anfield" and was availible for 9 million.

Mike.
    Really? Another classic foot-in-mouth from Shepherd so. I can't see the lad back in a Liverpool jersey though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWx5RK1G9c0

Theres the link to that clip of Freddy Shepard, he actually comes across seeming fairly sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

~Rebel~ wrote:

Golden boot in his country though is not too bad for a holding midfielder in any mans language...

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N155896070511-1355.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWx5RK1G9c0

Theres the link to that clip of Freddy Shepard, he actually comes across seeming fairly sound
    He spots the camera just when he says "9 million". :D

He was just messing with them, no chairman would talk about their players like that (Even Freddy!).

Was looking at a Lucas comp and he looks every inch the next Gerrard, not a holding type at all.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Was looking at a Lucas comp and he looks every inch the next Gerrard, not a holding type at all.

Mike.

ah here man, dont start giving him the "next gerrard" or next anything tag. gerrard is only 26, he's still the current steven gerrard. lets have lucas be lucas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Check out rte 2 now for champions league prog. focusing on Liverpool

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement