Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Golden boot in his country though is not too bad for a holding midfielder in any mans language...

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N155896070511-1355.htm

thats the golden ball i reckon, not the golden boot

good company though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bola_de_Ouro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Check out rte 2 now for champions league prog. focusing on Liverpool

I have say Jerzy Dudek always comes across as a very decent skin, kinda like it if Reina got injured in an heroic save and the Pole came on and saved a last min peno just before Robbie scores at the other end in extra time. Sadly Carlsberg don't do Champions League finals, oh hang on they-do! :D

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Almost brought a tear to me eye.

Well put together, the Al Pacino voiceover from Any Given Sunday was a nice touch.

I have to say, the wait for the final feels long, and the tension is slow burning. While the Premiership is a greater mark of quality and consistency, there is nothing that compares to the level of nerves, excitement and anticipation than the final of the most prestigous cup competition in the world. Its truly a world event, tens of millions from all across europe and beyond will be watching (86 million last year average audience - most watched match after the world cup final and the super bowl).

I remember I was in Dublin airport towards the end of Arsenal Barca last year. There most have been 50 guys gathered around one screen in the arrivals hall. Its something special that league competitions can't have. Maybe someday.. Ireland... WC... who knows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Dub13 wrote:

Excellent find :D ....roll on wednesday week!

btw 100th post woohoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Excllent piece, was looking around for a Milan fan I could rip a bit off. Really is a brilliant speech in that Nay given sunday, loved the movie, loved the wins and the two of them out together is superb..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Dub13 wrote:
    Savage find, Dub13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

good vid that, chicken soup for the soul :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FaHeNjk5Y8

this is another nice one, a little recap on 2005 to get ya all riled up!

Christ that really was some game!

• Advertisement

It still amazes me how Dudek made that save from shevchenko near the end of extra time :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

T'was destiny lad, is the only explanation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Does anyone know what Shev did after Dudek saves and the ball comes back to him, every replay I've seen pans straight to Dudek.

I wanna know did he baloon it over the bar or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he tries to sidefoot it, puts it straight against dudek, ball goes over. wht else is there to know?

thas why it was a double save...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Call_me_al wrote:
    he tries to sidefoot it, puts it straight against dudek, ball goes over. wht else is there to know?

thas why it was a double save...

He's talking about the peno in the shoot out.

AFAIK he blasts it into the goal, nearly sur ei saw a reverse angle on some program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Oh that Road to Athens clip has me in bits.

Oh that Road to Athens clip has me in bits.

I watched it last night then had to watch the DVD of the 2005 final. Wheres the "single tear rolling down your face" smilie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

darkskol wrote:
    It still amazes me how Dudek made that save from shevchenko near the end of extra time :cool:
    Not to take anything away from Dudek's performance but I think it was more a case of Shevchenko making a mess of what should have been a reasonably simple tap-in. We've all seen Shevchenko score plenty of goals so I don't know what happened. Maybe he was still a little off balance from the header? Dudek did as much as he could which thankfully was enough.
    zabbo wrote:
    Does anyone know what Shev did after Dudek saves and the ball comes back to him, every replay I've seen pans straight to Dudek.
    If you're talking about the penalty in the shoot-out, he hammered the ball into the back of the net while looking just a little pissed off with what had just happened :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

how many times have you tried to play this out on your PS2 or XBOX?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKIfYNc-FD8&mode=related&search=

Lex Luthor wrote:
    how many times have you tried to play this out on your PS2 or XBOX?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKIfYNc-FD8&mode=related&search=

Gerrard has a big Fergie wino nose in that.:)

• Advertisement

Very nice touch from Rafa giving Robbie the captains armband, even though Gerrard and Carra are both starting. Reeling in the years!

Good strong side to finish the season off. I cant help but feel this means Zenden will be starting the final though..

Padelli, Finnan, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Zenden, Mascherano, Gerrard, Kuyt, Fowler

anyone have an english stream for the liverpool match?

scratch that, the rojadirecta one is english, didnt have [en] on it so wasnt too sure till it started up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

ach nightmare start. Perfect oppertunity for Fowler there, Arbeloa capitalised on a mistake and ran throw into the box, fowler was just waiting for the tap in, but arbeloa went himself and missed - worst decision ever!!! Today of al ldays fowler should be given the ball anytime in front of goal!

Arbeloa definetly wasn't a striker at anytime in his career.

dear god, padelli's decision making is dodgy as fuk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Should be 2-0.

Absolute lack lustre performance.

Charlton are giving us a hiding at the moment.

Alonso!!!!

• Advertisement

Kewell unlucky not to score :eek: :D

Liverpool 1-2 Charlton :(

BTW Michael Owen stretchered off for Newcastle :rolleyes:

Come on Fowler. 6 Minutes to score a goal, he will prob be subbed pretty soon to a standing ovation.

aww god poor robbie! if he was just on the pitch another minute!

~Rebel~ wrote:
    aww god poor robbie! if he was just on the pitch another minute!

Would have been perfect if he had of scoring.
    At least we scored the equaliser and managed to retain 3rd place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Kewell scores!

Edit: Blast, too late.

i'm glad that season is over, was so bad at times. just want the champions league over at this stage and the new arrivals to come in. theres still too much dead wood at the club for my liking.

Kewell looked a lot better then Zenden's been looking, have to say i think i'd prefer kewell on the teamsheet for the final over zenden! Though it would be the most unfair thing ever on Bolo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Meh, screw him:p
    I'd rather see kewell in too, he's probably our best left midfielder (which is saying something). It would set the scene nicely that a player undeserving of his place got it in the second final, history repeating itself. Lets hope for the good omen in him getting injured early on in the final too:D

I think it'll be Zenden for the final, mainly because Rafa uses him to try help Riise out at left back....not that it did them a lot of good today.
    Good to see Kewell looking sharp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Robbie talking on bbc radio right now, sounds a bit downcast but still looking forwards to Athens.

Mike.

With the Summer to think about it, wouldn't surprise me to see Robbie hang up his boots. He doesn't need the money and I don't think his heart will be in it playing for anyone else.
    Would be great to see him collecting a Champions League winners medal, great end to a career if he does call it a day.

i'd love to see him in a coaching role at the club, just having him on the training ground must be a learning experience even for the strikers we have, his level of composure in front of goal is a rare talent.

he might aswell make the jump to america and make a few bob while he can.

Robbie is one of the richest players in the premiership thanks to some smart property investment so he doesn't need the money from playing in the US.

No he doesnt need the money, but i couldnt see him hanging up his boots, he's said as much on many occasions that he wants to play another couple of years, he's still young like, at a slightly lesser level he'd be a serious goalscorer again. could even do a job at a couple of prem clubs too id say.

Daemonic wrote:
    Robbie is one of the richest players in the premiership thanks to some smart property investment so he doesn't need the money from playing in the US.

i didnt say he needs the money, he just may aswell play for a couple more years in the sun and get a good bit of cash out of it, he's still pretty young to retire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Anyone know if there will be a parade through liverpool if we win the champions lge again? Am heading up for a lads weekend on the bank holiday weekend and it would be class if it was on the same time as i was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Anyone know if there will be a parade through liverpool if we win the champions lge again? Am heading up for a lads weekend on the bank holiday weekend and it would be class if it was on the same time as i was there
    yes, it's already being organised (for if we win only), don't know if a route is confirmed yet but I think they plan it to be as close to the wednesday as possible - so thursday evening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Robbie for Sunderland.... I'm surprised that hasn't been suggested.

I'd say he'd have a chance of Birmingham or the playoff team coming in for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If i was another premiership team i wouldnt waste the mony, unless he was on a pay as you play contract.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement