Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd rather he stayed at the club tbh.

Wonder did they dicuss some sort of Player/coach role? That would be idela. He'd be there to coach the strikers (invaluable skill and experience) and could play the cup games / lesser prem games/ super sub. Thats something I'd like to have seen.

Gutted he didnt score on his last game at Anfield, would have been perfect.

All the best to Him in the future, absolute Legend.

On another note, I'm after a favour from anyone going to Athens.I'm booked on a package holiday to Crete (cheapest way I could find to get over). Anywho, besides not havign tickets yet (2 of us going, hint hint, any spares mate) our hotel in Athens, that was apparently booked, contacted us to say they were overbooked and couldnt fit us in. We're comign over on th eferry at about 2am on the morning of the match and ging out around 4:30 on the Thursday. Thing is though, if anyone could give us somewhere to leave gear (a duffelbag) that we will have with us, just the usual change of clothes etc as i dont really want to wander Athens for 2 days with a bag and certainly dont want to lug it into the stadium (hopefully we get a ticket). Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Thanks Robbie - we will never forget you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just watching the Charlton game there and Robbie is proof that you dont need a lot of pace or th ebest legs to still offer something. Every single time the ball came into the Charlton box, Robbie was in 4 or 5 teards of space, you cant buy that sort of football brain.

As far as signings go, I've been watching Wayne Bridge for the last while and really think he's a smashing player who would be a great signing if he was available. I honestly think he's better than Ashley Cole at the minute (I really like cOle as a player).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Goodbye GOD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If bridge was to become available, i don't think he'd be available to us, unless he's out of contract or is in a position to buy himself out. Though i agree, id really love to see him in red, one of the few Chelsea players i genuinely like.

On the keeper situation - what the hell is on the cards for next year? Padelli was terrible today, especially in contrast to charltons new guy who really stepped up to the plate, padelli just looked like he really didnt want to be there. If we dont take Carson back though he'll be our number 2 keeper, which is simply not good enough. I know its unfair to judge him on 1 game alone, and the reserve reports have been decent, but it really was one of the worst goalkeeping performances i've ever seen. Will Carson be happy to sit on the bench? Because even though he's had a fantastic season, i still feel Reina deserves the number 1 spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

by all accounts carson has no intention of sitting on the bench next season, and why should he, he's a quality keeper. the rumour is rafa will let him leave for 4 million

i would like to see him stay and compete with reina for the number 1 spot, but pepe is one of rafa's boys so i dont think he'd have a fair go. 3 million profit on a keeper thats only played a handfull of games for us is good business though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Honestly dont think Carson is good enough for the very top level
    Its great making save after save after save every week but it takes a different
    type of keeper to play for the big teams.
    They more or less have nothing to do for 89 minutes a game and have to have
    the concentration levels to make the save after 60 mins.
    Same with Friedel when he was at Liverpool, needs to be kept busy or he
    makes mistakes

On another note, see robbie fowler being linked with portsmouth this morning
    cant see that happening to be honest.
    Can see him ending up in Sunderland or even in Newcastle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Tomorrow is the deadline for Marseille to decide about Cissé.

He scored two in the French Cup final at the weekend, but Marseille still lost on penos after Le Tallec equalised.

Other reports suggest Cissé is being offered to Benfica in part trade for Simao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I wouldn't rule out P'mouth either....Redknapp likes to pick up all the free transfers that are available early on....wouldn't be surprised if he already got his mobile number from Jamie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

talk of Liverpool preparing a bid for Richard Dunne . . . . wat would everyone think?

No better than what we have at the minute, and not as much potential as Agger, but if the talk of Hypia leaving is true, probably be a good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Dunne would be a good purchase, as long as he's happy to be used in rotation. Hyppia, like Hammann last year, may opt to go somewhere for more games, but I still think he can offer a lot to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

talk of Liverpool preparing a bid for Richard Dunne . . . . wat would everyone think?

No better than what we have at the minute, and not as much potential as Agger, but if the talk of Hypia leaving is true, probably be a good signing.

i wasn't his biggest fan a couple of years ago, but i saw him play about 12 months ago at anfield and recently for eire. he has impressed me a lot. he's lost a lot of weight, don't think he gets injured too much and reads the game well has matured well asa player.

why not? he'd be good company for finnan at the back:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dunne isn't much better than Agger imo, but that's more to do with not rating Dunne.
    Liverpool need a fast CB for the matches against faster strikers, Dunne isn't exactly speedy Gonzalez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think a partnership of Carragher and Dunne would be very solid. And with Agger and Hyppia in reserve - we could be happy enough about that position.

think dunne is a very underrated player. he has improved an awfull lot in the past 2 years saying that i still think JC and agger would be first choice.

• Advertisement

Yea, i agree that Agger and Carra will still be first choice, I'd imagine that Dunne would play a lot more that Hypia has done.

Think Agger is quick enough, and at the rate he is maturing, can see him being one of the leagues top defenders (if he isn't already). Just look at the way he was destroyed by Drogba in the first leg of the CL semi, then learnt from that and had Drogba in his pocket for the second leg. Top player

PHB wrote:
    Dunne isn't exactly speedy Gonzalez.

Quite funny you say that. Dont you remember Dunne matching (quite literally) Speedy Gonzalez for pace down the line in the Ireland V Chile game? Was very very impressed with Dunnes speed in that game, had never noiced it before.

Whle I think it would be a good buy for liverpool in terms of backup, i think it would be a bad move for Dunne's career. He's the head honcho and captain at city, i dont think it would be wise to move unless he's going to be getting first team football week in week out, which i dont think he will for Liverpool.

Would City be stupid enough to lose both Dunne and Distin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Dunne has plenty of speed despite being so 'big-boned'.

However I don't see Man City letting both of their first team centre-halves go in the summer.Now Distin going to Liverpool seems a possibility.

That would be a much better option Orizio.
    Distin in my opinion is a better player than Dunne.
    Either way though either centre half would be a really strong squad player and
    might even make the step up and become first choice.
    Important that Rafa buys a centre half though.
    An early injury to carragher next year and the season could be a complete write off

On another note, yakubu is looking to be moving away from boro
    He would be a cheap goalscorer with a decent pedigree.
    An option perhaps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote:
    Dunne isn't much better than Agger imo, but that's more to do with not rating Dunne.
    Liverpool need a fast CB for the matches against faster strikers, Dunne isn't exactly speedy Gonzalez.

He wouldn't be brought in to replace Agger. He would be replacing Hyypia and as a backup for Carragher/Agger. Agger has been our best player after Carragher this season and is already one of the best Center back in the league.
    IrishMike wrote:
    On another note, yakubu is looking to be moving away from boro
    He would be a cheap goalscorer with a decent pedigree.
    An option perhaps ?

I think he would be an awful signing. Liverpool have more than enough good players...they also have more than enough very good players. In my opinion they need to buy a couple of top quality world class players and not much else.

Out:
    Zenden
    Dudek
    Fowler
    Bellamy
    Pongolle
    Cisse
    Carson(?)
    Hyypia(?) - hope this doesnt happen!

In
    Lucas
    Veronin
    Top quality striker
    Top quality winger (ideally someone who can play on both wings as I have a feeling Kewell will have a big part to play next season)
    Cover for Carragher/Hyypia

Done this way we could really splash out on two big signings rather than buying lots of 'good' players. (which is the category that I would put Yakubu in.) Rafa rarely does what I expect him to though so you never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

very much in agreement with tusky on this one, we need quality not quantity, there are enough good players in the squad, we need a couple of really quality players to make the next step. i dont think pool are that far away right now, this is going to be an important summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Word has it Gary Mac is on his way back in a coaching role. He can teach them how to tale free kicks and corners!

Mike.

Thats great, he'd be a welcome arrival. i wonder would he even manage the Reserves as well as coaching the first team, since they're still in need of a new man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Tusky wrote:
    Top quality winger (ideally someone who can play on both wings as I have a feeling Kewell will have a big part to play next season)

This made me lol

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Agreed. We need to purchase top quality #20m wingers + strikers instead of average joes.

opr wrote:
    This made me lol

Opr

Why ? Before his horrible stint of injuries he was one of the best players in the premiership. Over the last couple of years he has shown patches of his former greatness but has been constantly bogged down with recuring injuries. He has taken 11 months out, had a number of operations and all of his injuries seem to be mended. He looks fitter and in better shape then he has in his whole Liverpool career. He was also pretty good last year so I have high hopes for him next year (If he can stay fit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Kewwll was a fantastic player for leeds for 2 seasons,he has never shown any form of that kind at liverpool.
    Dunne is not the type of player we need,there are plenty of decent premiership players around,we need world class..
    2 quality wingers and a striker,.

out
    zenden
    fowler
    carson
    cisse
    pongolle
    la tallec(is he still ours)

letting them go would barely reach 8-10 mill unfortunately

Time to see how deep the americans pockets are so!

We'll take Kaka, Eto'o and Messi please, Mr Americans :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

raven136 wrote:
    Dunne is not the type of player we need,there are plenty of decent premiership players around,we need world class..

Except a world class player wouldn't come if they thought they were going to sit on the bench for most games behind Carra & Agger. Jagielka might be a decent option if Sheff Utd don't raise the price to a ridiculous level. He can play anywhere across the back or in midfield and Rafa likes players like that that give him options.
    raven136 wrote:
    out
    pongolle

Pongolle is already gone, and while LeTallec is still with us and scored in the french cup final at the weekend, he hasn't played that much all year, so I can't see there being a huge demand for his services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Liverpool don't seem to be for Tevez, yet anyway

Speculation regarding a possible switch to Liverpool, to join former West Ham and Corinthians team-mate Javier Mascherano, has been growing, but Joorabchian has played down talk of an imminent move to Anfield despite having dinner with Rafa Benitez.

"I often do that - after all, I do have a player with Liverpool," Joorabchian added. "But we haven't discussed Carlos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

PHB wrote:
    Liverpool don't seem to be for Tevez, yet anyway

Give it time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think Harry Kewell is past his peak (he is now 28) and he is very, very, injury prone. There were also questions asked about his attitude to injury, his approach to rehabilitation, etc, and questions about his commitment to doing it on the field. By all accounts, off the field, he is a nice lad and is in everyone's good books. He has never done it for Liverpool though, although at the start he showed a few flashes of usefulness on the difficult-to-fill left side. But potential didnt develop into consistency. I think Liverpool would be better off-loading him, maybe to an Everton(?), and concentrate money/resources on other players. For Harry though, Liverpool is for now an easy life.

Tevez would fit naturally with Liverpool having a similar bustling style to Kuyt albeit probably a better player and more effective. Perhaps Kuyt and Tevez could link up nicely as a bustling forward line. I think Tevez would join and be happy to join Mascherano again, but for Liverpool the price would have to be right. In a way, due his recent great run of success/form, this has increased his price and I would advise Liverpool to tread carefully and not overspend.
    The cloud over his ownership remains as well and I think any club would be better off not buying him until any court cases surrounding Sheff Utd/Wigan/??/West Ham etc and the english league is settled. And that may take some time ..... Liverpool should have tried to nab him in the Jan window .... hindsight is 20/20.

redspider

really really really want to go in for Tevez, surely we have an advantage with all the Spanish speakers at the club and the fact that his mate Mascherano is there?!

would like to see Tevez at pool but his price could be crazy.He gave an interview to Balague last week about his future but i didnt see it,think newstalk reported on it.If his contract is sorted out his price could be crazy.

Woul he be the type of player to lead the line all season and get 20 goals?to me he would be good signiong along with a natural goalscorer(milito) and then sign a winger possibly 2.

If the pool got 2 strikers would bellamy and crouch be gone?

Tevez to Madrid now is the latest but the money is crazy talk.He already might be out of out league at the 25 mill to 30 mill bracket.West Ham to make a move for Bent,are we/should we be interested in bent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Martins supposedly is upsetting the dressing room at Newcastle too. I've rated him since his Inter days, and with Bellamy going, he'd offer us lots of pace up front. Wishful thinking though, I guess.

Heard the Martins rumors too,imo he would offer more than bellamy.Both Villa and Blackburn would stump up the 7 mill we would get fro Bellamy

Cant see Martins being happy to be a squad player to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Benitez has replied to Valdano's comments, seems there's a bit of bad blood between the two
    Benitez slams Valdano over "s*** on stick" rap
    tribalfooball.com - May 15, 2007

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has hit back at Jorge Valdano over his "s*** on a stick" comments after their Champions League semi against Chelsea.

Benitez told AS: "Look, the people at this club working to obtain objectives deserve respect, deep respect. And I believe what was said has shown a lack of respect to the club, the fans, who are something sacred as is our stadium, Anfield.

"Talking about 's*** on a stick' and other unjust descriptions, for me, shows an absolute ignorance of the historical reality of this organisation in the world-wide scheme of football. And I am talking about Mr Jorge Valdano, a person I have known for 20 years, since we were working with the junior teams of Real Madrid and someone I do not regard highly in the professional aspect. Nevertheless, I have not gone his way to attack him through the media."

Benitez declared: "It simply infuriates me that a person who has the privilege of being able to express himself through the mass media does not do it with honour and education. And I repeat, does not do so by showing little respect to an organisation like Liverpool, with it's success and enviable history."

He went on: "Look at our Champions League form. The first game against Barcelona at Anfield. It was spectacular. And against Galatasaray, Bordeaux, PSV ... "

Benitez also fired a broadside at Valdano: "I know what he's like. He has a lot to be grateful for to people like (former Real identities) Ramon Martinez, Angel Cappa and Alberto Giraldez, to mention only some examples of where a coach and sports director work well together. People, that we all say, contributed more to a project than has been acknowledged.

"I feel he (Valdano) was at the forefront of the press conferences and when the medals were being handed out, while the real professionals with talent were always in the shade."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

not sure if this has been mentioned but talk of Fowler either going to Celtic or Rangers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw that, easy money ;)

Luis Garcia was in full training today, what chance of him coming on in the CL final ;) :eek:

Mike.

and putting the ball (almost) over the line for the winner!

not sure if you're serious mike, but i remember at the time around when he picked up his injury that Rafa didnt re-register him for the Champions League and registered Mascherano instead.

No fairytale for little Luis!:(

raven136 wrote:
    Kewwll was a fantastic player for leeds for 2 seasons,he has never shown any form of that kind at liverpool.
    2 quality wingers and a striker,.

out
    zenden
    fowler
    carson
    cisse
    pongolle

letting them go would barely reach 8-10 mill unfortunately

Well before he was injured he was our top scorer...and since then he has never been 100% fit..until now. Pongolle was already sold for 4m, Carson will be sold for around 4m aswell and Cisse should be around 6m-8m.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

sammy eto'o would look just lovely in that number 9 shirt :)

• Advertisement

Best headline i've seen in ages;

'Old Firm In Battle For God' - The Daily Mirror.

Most fitting double entendre ever!

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Best headline i've seen in ages;

'Old Firm In Battle For God' - The Daily Mirror.

Most fitting double entendre ever!

classic:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

IrishMike wrote:
    That would be a much better option Orizio.
    Distin in my opinion is a better player than Dunne.
    Either way though either centre half would be a really strong squad player and
    might even make the step up and become first choice.
    Important that Rafa buys a centre half though.
    As Man City fans have voted Dunne as their player of the year for three consecutive seasons, I don't think there is any doubt that he's the best defender at that club.

Dunne has pace and power, he's great in the air and decent on the ground. In my opinion, when he's on his game, he's as good a centre back as there is in the league. His problem is that he's prone to lapses in concentration.

Harry Kewell has played 122 first team games and scored 16 goals,is too injury prone.The 2004/2005 season he only played 18 league games.Yet in 177 games for leeds he scored 45 goals,proof surely that he has been poor for liverpool.

I personally think it would destroy morale at liverpool if he plays in the Champions league final.Imagine saying to zenden,riise or gonzalez your not pl;aying because this guy has inally decided to back from Australia and although you helped us beat Chelsea,Barca etc im going to give him a starting place.Dont you remember he was brilliant in the last final

I also believe that Pongolle is only with Recravtivo till June 30th and then is back with us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Pongolle has a permanent deal with Recreativo from July 1st - transfer fee is €4mil.

I'm still sceptical that Kewell has been in Australia all season - does anyone have a link for that? He has wife / family in the UK.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement