Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

raven136 wrote:
    Harry Kewell has played 122 first team games and scored 16 goals,is too injury prone.The 2004/2005 season he only played 18 league games.Yet in 177 games for leeds he scored 45 goals,proof surely that he has been poor for liverpool.

I personally think it would destroy morale at liverpool if he plays in the Champions league final.Imagine saying to zenden,riise or gonzalez your not pl;aying because this guy has inally decided to back from Australia and although you helped us beat Chelsea,Barca etc im going to give him a starting place.Dont you remember he was brilliant in the last final

I also believe that Pongolle is only with Recravtivo till June 30th and then is back with us

Nope- On 4 May 2007 Recreativo Huelva confirmed be had signed a permenant deal until 2011, for a fee of €4million (£2.7m).

I would say tough luck Zenden. Hes a squad player and offers very very little to the team. You cant worry about hurting peoples feelings, its the champions league final and you need to field your best squad. As for Gonazalez ? He has been our worst player this season by far. Apart from a couple of goals he has been terrible. How many times has he beaten his man and got a decent cross into the box ? How many shots on target has he had ?

In regards to Kewell hanging out in Austrailia all season, bull****. I can understand people being dissapointed that he has spent so long injured but to somehow blame the player for this is rediculous. To suggest that he was faking injury or not trying to recover is silly. Hes 28, hes in his prime, of course he wants to be playing! He was in Austrailia to get a number of operations.

Kewells did more against Charlton than Gonzalez has done all season! Obviously, I dont know the ins and outs of Kewells current fitness. If he cant play for 60 mins + theres no point in starting him.

Id say Rafa will most likely play Zenden on th left. If Kewell isnt fit enough I would rather he played Arbeloa at left back and Riise on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

SofaKing wrote:
    I'm still sceptical that Kewell has been in Australia all season - does anyone have a link for that? He has wife / family in the UK.

one or two people keep bringing this up and until i see some proff i believe it is BS.

Rafa knows what he is doing. But if i was Kewell I woudlnt want to start in case he gets injured and has to come off or we lose - it'll all be blamed on him by the fools out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

you honestly think that Kewell coming back would be accepted by the players and fans?the team morale would be disrupted and Harry has never endeared himself to the Kop and coming back 2 games b4 a champions league fianl and being"fitter than i've ever been" is just a bit much.
    Maybe he wasnt in Australia(although its not just one or two that say it) but it would be too much for him to play in the champions league final.Anyhow cant see him making much of a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

raven136 wrote:
    you honestly think that Kewell coming back would be accepted by the players and fans?
    Are you saying that if Rafa thinks Kewell has done enough in his short spell back to move ahead of Zenden or Gonzalez that the players won't accept it!!?? Nonsense.

Gerrard, Carragher etc will want the best players on the pitch, no matter who they are. The only player who will be upset will be the lad who got moved aside. Sure the fans would get on Kewell's back if he was playing poorly, but if he was playing well he'd get as much support as any other player. I dont think morale will be a problem for a team in a European Cup final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Sorry to see pongolle go TBH, he was always a good server for the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

If there is one thing we know about Rafa is he holds no regard for sentiment. If he thinks Kewell will add more to the team than Zenden or Gonzalez he will play him. End of story. And the talk of Kewell being in Oz is lies. He has been back there this season but that was for treatment. His commitment to coming back fit can be seen in his physical condition. He looks fitter now than he ever has. If he plays I expect it to be in a 4-2-3-1 formation. If Rafa goes for 4-4-2 expect to see Zenden.

As for Garcia. He aint registered unfrotunately. They took him out for Mascherano.

anyone else having trouble accessing this thread?

I keep getting this message
    There seems to have been a problem with the boards.ie database.
    Please try again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, whom you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

How odd. Same thing happens to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, I think that the thread has gotten too big.
    It might be time to start a new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

PHB wrote:

Booo-urs :mad:

• Advertisement

no..... its the most viewed thread, we cant just throw it away and start again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

PHB wrote:

Can't be. Its not even in the top 5 biggest threads. There seems to be network difficulties going on. I'm getting some dropped connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yes, I too have that issue with the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote:

i dunno about that, its not even in the top 5 most posts on boards, the "post things about other the last poster" thread has over 33,000 posts and is working fine. The liverpool thread is only in the 7,000's. All the others in the top 5 have at least a thousand more and all are working fine.

I have found that boards in general at the moment is experiencing some difficulties though, everynight they seem to be doing updates of some kind (not just the usual 3am downtime) so its probably just a temporary problem.

Am getting loads of dropped connections as well, have to try every thread 2 or 3 times to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Use this thread in the meantime and I'll merge posts from this point on if/when the thread is fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Watching the UEFA cuo final last night, Alves looked shocking. Left his defence completely exposed and didnt seem to eager to track back. I know he plays better as a winger but still it doesn't seem like the work ethic is there. Maybe he's not the man for Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Slurms wrote:
    Watching the UEFA cuo final last night, Alves looked shocking. Left his defence completely exposed and didnt seem to eager to track back. I know he plays better as a winger but still it doesn't seem like the work ethic is there. Maybe he's not the man for Liverpool?

Have to say, most times I've watched Sevilla (for the purposes of checking out Alves), I've always felt the same thing. Not sure about him.

Always been more impressed with Adriano, the left full to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Always been more impressed with Adriano, the left full to be honest

He is freaking fast! Chasing after that ball for the goal phew!
    Rumour of Bellamy going to Blackburn - switch for Benni McCarthy :p

AC Milan Carlo Ancelotti has labelled Liverpool the worst technically-gifted of the three English sides to reach the Champions League semi-finals.

Ancelotti has also accused the Reds of abandoning their English roots ahead of their Champions League final on 23 May.

"Technically, Liverpool are the worst team of the three English sides who reached the semi-finals," he said.

"But out of Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United, I'd have preferred United in the final."

He added: "You could see from the two legs of our semi-final with them that they play and let you play. I don't think it will be the same with Liverpool."

AC Milan were beaten by the Anfield side in the 2005 final in the competition after Liverpool came back from 3-0 down to draw level at 3-3 and then win on penalties.

Genarro Gattuso has already taunted the Reds by claiming they are not as good as Manchester United and Ancelotti has stoked the fires further with his latest comments.

He delivered a barb at counterpart Rafael Benitez and a policy he sees as decreasing the number of English players in the team.

"Milan are a strong Italian team. there is a strong Italian culture running through the team." said Ancelotti.

"Liverpool do not have the DNA of an English side. It is more of a Mediterranean team because of the coach."

Yeh i would have preferred the only team out of the three we have beaten in Europe this season too. Stupid commments in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Slurms wrote:
    Watching the UEFA cuo final last night, Alves looked shocking.

Takes a ****e penalty too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

yeah I wouldn't be a fan of him!

Maybe we could buy him for right mid...he looks a little weak for the prem though...

hes great going forward, but what i really dislike about him is his whinging moaning and going down easy. when he stays on his feet and goes for it, he's exactly the type of player id lvoe for the right wing, but the other parts of his game i really dislike. Having said that, hopefully he'd be told to cop that on if he did come.

As for a swap with benni, i think i'd prefer a swap for Pederson, benni had a great season, but he's no spring chicken and i think from here on we should be thinking more long term with signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I started a thread that broke teh interweb! :D

Saw a teletext report that Gonzo is going, either on loan or a sale back to Spain. Not shocked frankly.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

SkySports say Marseille want Cisse on loan for another year. Gonzales might be off back to Spain, possibly in swap deal for Gaby Milito.

I'd rather we get cash for Cisse, but dunno who'd be willing to take the risk on him. Won't be too sad to see Gonzales leave, but the Premiership is a difficult league to come to for players such as himself, and perhaps in time he could adapt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Won't be too sad to see Gonzales leave, but the Premiership is a difficult league to come to for players such as himself, and perhaps in time he could adapt.
    I would give "David" Gonzalez another season. I'm pretty sure that having waited so long to get his man, Rafa will give him at least that long. The first season in a new country and league is always tough especially for a young player (look at Henry, Ronaldo, Drogba etc). He has shown flashes of what he's capable of and highlights of his exploits for Real Sociedad show that he could be an excellent player. Mind you, the new-look Harry Kewell having shed a few pounds and that daft hair cut could mean some serious competition for the left side of Liverpool's midfield.

• Advertisement

id like gonzalez given a little more time as well, but ill defer to Rafa on this one based on what he's been seeing in training. if he thinks Speedy can adapt im sure he'll give him another chance. was a very stop start campaign with him, never got a proper run going, which is what sorted out pennant eventually, and he's played in he prem for years!

Bascombe's take on thingsl
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=gonzalez-attracts-spanish-interest%26method=full%26objectid=19117550%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

seems fairly 50/50 there, could go either way, hopefully gonzo can show something in training, or if given a chance in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

As we've seen with Morientes, Cisse, Nunez, Josemi, Dudek, Hyypia and probably many more that I can't think of, Rafa doesn't hang about when there are question marks over a player. Next season, barring injuries, we'll have Kewell, Riise, Aurelio, Gonzalez, Garcia and Zenden who can all play on the left of midfield as well as position-switching from the likes of Gerrard and Pennant. That's a lot of competition or as Rafa would put it "Possibilities" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think Gonzalez has to be given more time. There are plenty of examples of players who come to the premiership, have a nothing first season and go on to great things in the second season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I think Gonzalez has to be given more time. There are plenty of examples of players who come to the premiership, have a nothing first season and go on to great things in the second season.

Agreed, but if Rafa has no immediate plans for him I would rather see him going on loan for a year or so than being sold.

• Advertisement

The out-on loan thing has yielded very little for liverpool in recent history, its moreso been a springboard for selling players on ultimately.

He now has a year in the premiership under his belt. He HAS to be given until January. Its too early to cut your losses at this stage.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yep, I def would like to see Gonzales given another while. Get rid of Zenden though, it pains me to see him play. We do need some real quality on the wings though, left has been in a poor state all season and Gerrard/Pennant have only done it in flashes out there. I'd like to see a fit Garcia show if he can make that his own,a s even though he can play on both sides, I think he should get a run on the right.

Zenden is a poor utility player. However, I find he takes aabout 6/7 games to return to form from injury. Generally speaking he has only gone about 10 games before another injury, so he has only gotten back to form, then BANG gone again for 6/8 months.

Anyway - yeah - he's not up to the standard (he got player of teh season at boro the year we bought him).

Bellamy is going to west ham. possible tevez deal with player?.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8671_2133424,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

West ham dont actually own tevez though
    Couldnt really do a player plus cash deal in that situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, it's becoming increasingly apparent that MSI own Tevez, and it is a loan arrangement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

damn, wonder who we'll get to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

He added: "You could see from the two legs of our semi-final with them that they play and let you play. I don't think it will be the same with Liverpool."
    Thats why they lost cause they let you play. That bit sounds more like a compliment than an insult tbh:D .
    Slurms wrote:
    TBH I have never seen what all the hype was about he apparently had a great game against Middlesbourgh in the UEFA Cup final last year but everybody has a good game every now and then (even Phil Babb dont ask me when though) I have watched Sevilla about 10 or more times this season and never seen him play a good game he runs I will give him that but he does feck all else. I have said it to my mates about him being crap and they have always stood up for him. Saying that though I am always saying Berbatov is average so most of you probably wont believe me on either.

Finnan confirms his wish to stay (and I'm sure he will)

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6645244,00.html

Just spotted Matt Derbyshire being linked, I have to say I like the cut of him.

Bellamy to WestHam latest notion, 8 million. So thats Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham and Bolton next proberly!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Well we've been handed a counter-argument to the criticism that we play boring football on a plate this afternoon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Bellamy can bugger off, terrible attitude, I'd take Dean Ashton in a straight swop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It was a terrible game. both sides were so negative. worst final I remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Should we rename this thread as the liverpool 2007/2008 thread now that the old ones seems knackered?

Speaking of which, its back working fine and dandy, our legacy of most viewed thread can continue! Well once a mod unlocks it and merges that is!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=267855&page=373

Why's it locked though? Who locked it? A Manc? A Gooner? A Chav? We need to know! :p

Mike.

psi just locked it and changed the name of this one to interim chat while the problem with the other one persisted, i assume so people wouldnt keep trying to access it and just come here instead, said he'd reopen and merge whenever it was fixed anyway.

oh hey lads, theres 2 sopcast streams of tonights Copa Libertadores game between Gremio and Fluminense FC and ESPN have Lucas named in Gremio's starting lineup. The game kicks off at 22.10 our time so worth tuning in to get a glimpse at the new boy.

http://www.rojadirecta.com/
    http://soccernet-akamai.espn.go.com/match?id=216842&cc=5739

the rojadirecta streams are delayed coverage, just started now, 2 mins in, but Lucas doesnt seem to be playing after all! Looks a good high tempo game anyway so might watch a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

back in business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement