Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

good stuff, and just in time eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

5 times! maybe 6 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

can anyone tell me the name of the lad liverpool are signing? Hes the golden boot winner in brazil this year and hes captain of the u20s brazil team? Think he plays for gremio or one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Lucas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lucas Pezzini Leiva. I think there was a slight mistake by rafa, t'was the golden ball he won (player of the year) which to be honest is probably better from our point of view since he's a midfielder. Was looking to see if he perhaps won both, but the only mention of him having won the golden boot is in rafa's interview.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bola_de_Ouro a lot of quality names in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Juventus are planning a double raid on Liverpool.

The Independent says Juve will move for midfield pair Xabi Alonso and Momo Sissoko in the summer.

Xabi has seen new contract talks with Liverpool stall and is ready to ask away should manager Rafa Benitez leave him on the bench for Wednesday's Champions League final against AC Milan.

I for one would have no problem whatsoever in selling both of them
    Could easily command £30 million as one paper is reporting that sisoko is
    worth £15 which is a stretch to say the least imho
    Think alonso had a truely awful season and with mascherano coming into
    the team he seems to be a blend of both of these players rolled into one.
    This new brazilian seems to be a fantastic find aswell and it could give
    Gerrard his central position back.
    The only downside is that you dont come across too many people with Alonsos
    vision and passing range and he dictates the tempo of most games when
    he is on form. Not sure if the same can be said of Mascherano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Would be madness to sell Alonso.

With a holiday, no summer tournament and a solid pre-season behind him, Im sure Alsono will be back to his best for next season. We can't be selling our best players if we want to take it up a level and compete for the league.

Besides, we don't have Masch on a permanent deal yet.

i wouldnt mind seeing sissoko leave too much, i really like him but with all the competition there now he's probably at the bottom of the pecking order.

Alonso though, even though hes had a crap year, i wouldnt like to see go. Natural top quality player. If he could regain the form he's shown in the past for pool he's the first name on the teamsheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Sissoko despite all his flaws is a valuable player to have in your team, and is certainly not a player ANY team fancies going up against.

Alonso, sure, had a mixed season, but his quality is undisputed.

Neither player will be sold this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I woud agree that we should be looking to retain both players and I feel that neither will be sold. I am pretty sure (hopeful too) that Zenden will be got rid off to make room for Lucas. That would leave for a very strong midfield with plenty of depth while also having quite a low average age compared to that of Chelsea's and United.

What club wouldn't like to be able to choose from:

Gerard, Alonso, Mascherano, Sissoko and Lucas (on paper he shows alot of potential at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

This is the lad we need! Dribbles like a sea-lion! Now he's 'one for the future'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ah Kerlon, way too much of a pansy for England (IMO).

Out of any of our proper midfielders (Bolo doesn't count!) I'd prefer to see Momo go. His inability to pass is very annoying. That said he's the best ball winner we have in the team, but I feel Mascherano could have him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

flanzer wrote:
    This is the lad we need! Dribbles like a sea-lion! Now he's 'one for the future'

Probably the next C. Ronaldo, trying too hard to impress, would have more output if he stopped acting the eejet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Saw an article in the news of the world :rolleyes: , that rafa is interested in another brazilian, Amauri a 26 year old striker who is playing for Palermo. Anybody know anything about him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amauri_Carvalho_de_Oliveira

Amauri is quality, missed a lot of this season with a long term injury, just back to fitness now i think. Fairly tall striker, great in the air, good finisher, quick feet, similer in style to berbatov. If he came in id wonder if crouch was leaving..I read a comment where Rafa said he thought he was one of the best strikers in the world with Drogba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESt6WM9boH0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4m4TxIKiVI

flanzer wrote:
    Pfft, I've done that in Pro Evo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

zabbo wrote:
    Pfft, I've done that in Pro Evo

Shame you looked like a retard doing it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

http://football.guardian.co.uk/championsleague200607/story/0,,2085147,00.html

hmm

sorta compares liverpool to a breakfast cereal, at least in his eyes
    also, the profits will go to the loan repayments

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa promising clear-out regardless of reult tomorrow.

http://www.itv.com/news/f578df01c15e31893d195ed0e8d88f41.html

Not sure about the timing myself.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Play/warm bench well or you're axed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gone

Dudek
    Carson
    Zenden
    Fowler
    Gonzales (loan?)

Likely

Bellamy
    Paletta (loan)

Possibles

Hyypia
    Sissoko or Alonso
    Crouch
    Luis Garcia

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mike65 wrote:
    Gone

Dudek
    Carson
    Zenden
    Fowler
    Gonzales (loan?)

Likely

Bellamy
    Paletta (loan)

Possibles

Hyypia
    Sissoko or Alonso
    Crouch
    Luis Garcia

Mike.

not sure it's worth selling garcia since he has been injured all season and is unlikely to fetch much, would hope we keep each of sissoko, alonso and crouch too. I still think Crouch has massive potential and if bellamy and fowler go why would we get rid of another forward? If we are only buying the best, we can only really hope for one big buy up front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

All the papers today are talking about a massive clearout,six maybe seven players gone.Could we expect the same amount in?
    Rafa was talking about signing "experienced players with charachter"thats exactly what we ned for a premiership challenge.

Winning the champions league would add yet more funds and prestige to the club.

Out
    zenden
    hypia
    dudek
    carson
    bellamy
    gonzalez
    pennant?

In
    simao
    both milito brothers
    lucas
    villa?
    torres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Dunno copacetic, from the interviews I've seen (Hicks, Rafa etc.) it seems like there'll be some serious funds for Rafa to play with. It seems like Rafa will be able to get the players he wants as long as he can justify the buy. Regardless of tomorrow's result it should be an exciting summer, but then again if he makes alot of changes we could see another slow start to the season, exactly what we don't need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

joe lovejoy said on sunday Rafa had about 50 m(sterling) to spend and a win on wednesday would massively increase that

I love speculating about this kind've stuff :)

GKs
    Reina
    Padelli
    Carson
    Dudek

CBs
    Hyypia
    Agger
    Carragher
    Palleta
    Hobbs from reserves
    Another utility CB

FBs
    Arbeloa
    Finnan
    Riise
    Aurelio
    Insua

CMs
    Sissoko
    Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Alonso
    Lucas

Wingers
    Zenden
    Kewell
    Garcia
    Gonzales (on loan perhaps)
    Pennant
    Leto
    Another left winger (Gamst Pederson, maybe?)

FWs
    Fowler
    Cisse
    Crouch
    Bellamy
    Kuyt
    Voronin
    Pacy Striker (Bent? .....Eto'o ;))

So, thats 9 players I reckon are gonna get the chop. Major surgery will be done (again) on the wings and up front - we already have Leto and Vornonin coming in, so i expect another CF and LW added to that.

Central midfield and Full-backs are perfectly fine, I reckon.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Slurms wrote:
    Dunno copacetic, from the interviews I've seen (Hicks, Rafa etc.) it seems like there'll be some serious funds for Rafa to play with. It seems like Rafa will be able to get the players he wants as long as he can justify the buy. Regardless of tomorrow's result it should be an exciting summer, but then again if he makes alot of changes we could see another slow start to the season, exactly what we don't need.

well hopefully but mentioning eto, villa etc, players of that level are going to set us back 60 million minimum for centre back, winger and centre forward. could be as much as 100-120 million even. Great if we can afford it. But the numbers don't add up if we clear out 11 players, even clearing out 7 or 8 could be a bit many...

If we get a core signing of 3 players of highest quality then imo we should still keep the likes of hyppia, alonso + sissoko, crouch + kuyt. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater kind of thing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

From the new-fangled Yahoo-Eurosport:

Agger to Barca or Real?

I can't see us selling.

GKs
    Reina
    Padelli
    Carson
    Dudek

CBs
    Hyypia
    Agger
    Carragher
    Palleta
    Hobbs
    Distin

FBs
    Arbeloa
    Finnan
    Riise
    Aurelio
    Insua

CMs
    Sissoko
    Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Alonso
    Lucas

Wingers
    Zenden
    Kewell
    Garcia
    Gonzales (If he does leave MGP in)
    Pennant
    Leto
    Simao

FWs
    Fowler
    Crouch
    Bellamy
    Kuyt
    Cisse
    Voronin
    Eto'o
    Derbyshire

Wouldnt be surprised with that really...

Actually, I'd love to see Quaresma come play for us. I'd seen him play against Brazil earlier this year and he was able to play both wings with ease. Very impressive.

Id be delighted if we got either Quaresma or Simao, both players who can play on either wing and take a game by the scruff of the neck and make something happen.

Cal_Me_Al have we been linked with Distin? He'd be a great acquisition, quality cenber back and for free!

Up front we've been linked with so many its hard to decide who i'd actually want. So far linked with;
    Eto'o
    Villa
    Torres
    Amauri
    Tevez
    Milito
    Bent
    Alfonso Alves
    Derbyshire (though thats prob one for the future)
    among others!

Are we going down the Chelsea route of ditching youth players?

What about the some of the younger players who played with the twice FA Youth Cup winning teams.

Surely the likes of Paul Anderson and Mike Roque should get some exposure, let's not forget it's the youth players who have served the team so well over the years.

That said, Rafa seems to be pointing at experienced players, I'd imagine he means those with PL experience, which is gonna cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Does anybody think it possible that Cisse will be back in the red shirt next season? Getting some important goals for Marseille and looks pretty good.
    Could be a good time to get some decent money for him to add to the kitty

Wow, totally forgot about Cisse.

Hopefully, MArseille are still willing to pay the oft-rumoured £7mil for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Well they (Marseille) confirmed their champions league place over the weekend and Cisse was a central figure in their success. Could be a possiblity that he could be back?? Liked him alot but maybe its just better to cash in hopefully, that said he'll probably break one of his legs, or maybe both this time!!

SofaKing wrote:
    Wow, totally forgot about Cisse.

Hopefully, MArseille are still willing to pay the oft-rumoured £7mil for him.

they're not. he will return on june 1st. benfica would be up for a deal involving Cisse for Simao apparently, rumour has it he would go but would prefer to stay in the prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

good luck tomorrow -- i know a lot of blues will be shouting for Milan -- but i'll be shouting for the smaller team :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Don't forget to add Pongolle & Le Tallec to the list of players who'll be leaving in the summer. We're led to believe Pongolle's move is all agreed and is awaiting the xfer window to open before being formalised. Don't know whether Sochaux will make Le Tallec's move permanent but either way I don't think he's got any chance of still being with LFC next season.

Pongolle is already gone. Theres a loophole with loan deals with an option to buy where the player can be bought outside of the transfer window, for example Howard now being totally owned by Everton even though that deal took place in February.

Le Tallec i dont know what the story is at all, think he's been a having a decent season but I couldn't see him coming back. A shame, so much promise! Saw him playing U21 2 years ago in turners cross and he was a class apart.

I actually like Cisse too, he's a character, but i very much doubt he'll be playing for us again. His long range blasters are all well and good but he still hasn't shown he can do the nice neat little finishes we need at the moment. I was one of the biggest advocates of giving him time on here, but he let me down :( Though i will still be wearing my Cisse 9 red and gold 5* champions league jersey for the match tomorrow!

Its a little annoying to see links with Derbyshire, he's a quality young player but obviously would be being bought for the future. He's shining after being given a chance in the first team and rather then buy him i think we'd be better off following Blackburns example and giving our own starlet Lindfield a go first. Himself and Anderson really really need to get a chance pretty soon, both got a chance in pre-season last year and both were great. Lindfield scored the only goal of the game on his senior debut but hasn't even been on the bench for a competitive match yet i dont think. Would just like to try giving our own up and comer a game over buying in someone elses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

From the new-fangled Yahoo-Eurosport:

Agger to Barca or Real?

I can't see us selling.

The silly Season kicks off with a gem there!
    I can see between 4-5 players leaving in the Summer with 3-4 players coming in.
    Players going will most likely be Fowler, Dudek, Hypia, Carson, Gonzalez(loan), Zenden and maybe Sissoko.

As for players in well 2 confirmed in Voronin and Lucas and after that it's anybody's guess really.
    Raffa has cash to spend but the type of player and who else would want the same player will dictate the price and the success off the chase.
    It's all well and good having the cash for some one like Eto/Villa/Torres but when word get's out that a player off that class is up for sale BANG price war breaks out and even with our cash if a chelsea/milan/madrid decide they want a piece of the action we will be left behind.

IMHO i'd like to see use get Huntalaer couple of clips here off his ability http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Huntelaar%20ajax&search=Search
    I seen him up close for the National team and was very impressed he looked a class above and reminded me what Utd saw in Van Nisteleroy. He wouldn't be cheap but wouldn't break the bank either €20 million would easily get him. Which would leave plenty of cash for left midfield and centre back if Hypia goes.

Ah crap looks like Huntelaar is all ready off to Juventus :(http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jan5c.html
    dam them
    http://juventustalk.blogspot.com/

Alou Diarra wants to move back to the prem, do we have a buy back clause on him? Pompey are sniffing around...

Also woody there are 3 confirmed signings - Sebastian Leto, the arge left winger.

woodyg wrote:
    As for players in well 2 confirmed in Voronin and Lucas and after that it's anybody's guess really.
    Don't forget we have an Argentinian left winger - Leto - confirmed as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

SofaKing wrote:
    Don't forget we have an Argentinian left winger - Leto - confirmed as well.

Less left winger, more left sided midfielder (check bottom of)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6558831.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Stky10 wrote:

I'd forgotten about him was a while ago that deal was done. So that's defo Zenden and Gonzalez gone then.

I would love us to steal Huntalaar from under Juve's nose cause i recon this boy is the new Van Basten! The quality and quantity of goals is quit breath takeing and his specialality is the acrobatic. He's quick he's good in the air he can use both feet he scores goals from all angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Stky10 wrote:

found this on on the youtube (apologies if posted before). he doesn't look fantastic, but quite strong and tall and well able to compete physically. might be more suited to the prem than most other south American wingers. got a good eye for the cross field ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

that miss after the goalmouth pinball around the 40sec mark was god awful! Hilarious stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

OK im still feeling gutted right now about tonight but at least I can still think back to the victory at the Nou camp and the home game to chelsea. So when will we see Rafa beginning this clearout, the sooner the better so I can take my mind of tonights game! :(:(:(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement