Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

yeh but we dont need to sell him. therefore hold out for 15m. also its not as if barca are skint.

i would consider 10 plus Gudjohnson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Well i said roughly but i'd be adamant in thinking that anything near £12 would be reasonable. The amount of work he puts in a game is equal to two midfielders (if only he could pass!) Besides if carrick is worth... :p
    At least Carrick has an eye for a good pass and can make things happen. Sissoko on the other hand, for all his good work in defense usually ends up giving the ball away more often than anyone else on the team which draws the pressure back on them again. it's like a catch 22... i cant see any team who'd be able to afford a 10m - 15m fee want him with the passing ability on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

like 18m for carrick and 17m for hargreaves? yeh sure 15m for sissoko is a joke!?!

Yeh, cause the Man Utd are known for their brilliance in the transfer market aren't they :rolleyes:

just making the point that 15m isnt that crazy.

Nothing in crazy is the modern game, but 15 million is unlikely for a transfer between Barca and Liverpool. Since he seems to be surplus to requirements now, with the emergence of Mascherano and Alonso still being there, with the purchase of Lucas, it would seem there are 5 really good central midfielders (incl. Gerrard) vying for 2 positions, maybe 3 in Euro games. Can't see Sissoko wanting to stick around if thats the case, and if he wants to leave, his valuation will go down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

and if he wants to leave, his valuation will go down.
    Like Hargreaves?!:p
    Sissoko on the other hand, for all his good work in defense usually ends up giving the ball away more often than anyone else on the team which draws the pressure back on them again. it's like a catch 22... i cant see any team who'd be able to afford a 10m - 15m fee want him with the passing ability on him

Obviously he's a player that needs a good companion who can take the ball off him to distrubute it (which Barca have many of) once he wins it but regardless he's still very young and has a long way to go before reaching his potential, its more his composure than his actual ability to pass thats the problem and that can come with experience, once he matures a bit i'm confident he'll become the real deal so to speak. Basically i'm saying that its not worth losing him for less than 10-15 million especially considering his age.

United don't count, we're stupid in the transfer market :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Careful or you'll create a we're more stupid than you in the transfer market flame war! Its mostly because you're buying English kind of like buying Irish in your local supermarket- pricey business!:p

Careful or you'll create a we're more stupid than you in the transfer market flame war!

:)

Maybe, it's also because the whole world tends to know exactly what is missing after Keano left, a tough tackling central midfielder, so he was always gona cost a packet.

Liverpool might face a similar problem now, cause while they have the defence sorted etc, everybody knows they need good wingers and strikers, so unless Rafa is willing to pay above what he 'should' pay, they won't be coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote:
    :)

Maybe, it's also because the whole world tends to know exactly what is missing after Keano left, a tough tackling central midfielder, so he was always gona cost a packet.

Liverpool might face a similar problem now, cause while they have the defence sorted etc, everybody knows they need good wingers and strikers, so unless Rafa is willing to pay above what he 'should' pay, they won't be coming.

Just out of curiosity, would you be happy with Mascherano, Alonso or Sissoko being bought by Man Utd ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Of course he would but who cares?

Just out of curiosity, would you be happy with Mascherano, Alonso or Sissoko being bought by Man Utd ?

I wouldn't want Sissoko, but the other two would be welcome additions. Generally United like players who can pass the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Of course he would but who cares?

Me ? I was just curious. Nothing more to it than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Call_me_al wrote:
    just making the point that 15m isnt that crazy.

It is for a player that can not pass tbh.

Macherano impressed me the other night , if he is consistantly that good I wouldn't say not to him going to United. The confusing circumstances surrounding him is a down side though . He was supposed to go to Arsenal at the time he somehow ended up at West Ham. He could be another Anelka who will never really be an asset to any team.

Macherano was immense on Wed, and kept Kaka' in his pocket all night. It wasnt a surprise when he came off Kaka had the space to play that ball to Inzaghi.

While Sissoko cant pass he is a destructive player and if a team needs that player like United, Keane was hardly the best passer in the Prem, or a team like Real or Barca who have been leaking goals compared to their best form over the last few years.

and as mentioned above it isn't as much that he cant pass but that he panics, this will improve with age and experience.

Keane wasn't the best passer, but he was pretty ****ing good. Mascherano is very like a young Keane to me I must say, although a bit more defensive than Keane with less of a goal threat, but very like him.

Arsenal would do not harm buying Sissokko..

Ah now, Gilberto is as good a defensive midfielder as there is in the league, maybe Makelele and Essien are better than him, but that'd be it in terms of being a defensive player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Transfer rumours alert!

from bbc.co.uk/football
    The Italians are also keen on Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso and his Anfield team-mate Mohamed Sissoko. (Times)

However, Alonso could be heading to Barcelona as part of a £30m deal with Samuel Eto'o going to Anfield. (Mirror)

Sevilla's Daniel Alves and Zaragoza's Gabriel Milito will sign for Liverpool "within the next few days". (Mirror)

And the Royals are set to swoop for Liverpool centre-back Sami Hyypia after his move to Fulham fell through. (Star)

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

where did you find that info? I can't find it on bbc

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

I think we are at the stage now where we do not require major surgery with the squad just the addition of a handful of top quality players. If I was Rafa I would be trying to bring in up to 3 players this summer as funds permit. Assuming £40m to spend. If the likes of Bellamy and Gonzalez and maybe Sissoko are sold we would have another £10m+. Lets say £50m available.

Priority 1. Striker
    A must in my opinion. We simply need to finish more of the numerous chances we seem to make. It will prove difficult to get the right player. Etoo is out of our league. I am not convinced about Villa, Torres or Tevez. Berbatov is a player I like. He would create goals for Kuyt and Crouch as well as scoring plenty himself. Would probably cost £20m. There are not too many other fallback options. Owen's reported £9m get out clause could be an attractive option.

Priority 2. Right Winger
    End all this Gerrard crap about whether he is best in the centre or on the right. In order of preference I would try to get the following:-

1. Dani Alves £15m
    2. Aaron Lennon £15m
    3. SWP £12m

Priority 3. Left Sided Defender/Midfielder
    We have Kewell/Riise/Aurelio/Garcia. I would like to see a top quality left-sided defender - not sure who - any suggestions? I don't think Riise or Aurelio are good enough defensively. I would not mind retaining them to play on the left side of midfield though. I am always reluctant to let Kewell go cos the guy has the talent. I think this is his last chance. Give him 'til January to show fitness and form otherwise turf him out. If we fail to sign a quality left defender I guess we could continue to play Riise in the position and sign Simao from Benfica (£12m) for the left wing.

By my reckoning that would blow the £50m budget but we would have added quality. Next priority is cover at centre back. We could keep Hypia for another season if the funds do not stretch that far or raise more funds by selling Kewell, Garcia, or Aurelio. Think that keeping Hypia is the better option until we have proper funds to find quality.

Just my thoughts. Any opinions?

would anyone else take Alonso + 15m for Eto'o? I think I would.

Where is Milito going to fit into the team? Unless we are gonna rotate our 3 defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Based on his form this season, I'd snap your hand off for it. But you just know he'd go on to be an absolutely amazing player worth a lot more. Not really sure he'll ever reach his potential at Liverpool tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I dunno. He'd gone straight into the World Cup from a long season with a few cup runs with the Pool, and then straight back into the Liverpool squad. On his day he's amongst the best midfielders in the world, and I think if he can recharge his batteries, he'll be an excellent asset for Liverpool next season. He also said after the CL Final he wants to stay at the Pool.

Based on the Alonso's comments, and the signing of Lucas, I'm thinking that Rafa may employ his 4-5-1 system from his Valencia days frequently next season. Two deep holding midfielders in Mach/Alonso/Momo and three attacking in Gerrard/Lucas/Garcia/Pennant/Kewell.

He employed Mista as the lone striker. I've not seen much of him, but I don't think he was too disimilar in style to Kuyt.

Tonio, I think your figures are about 5-10 million too low for all the players you mentioned :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Reading what Rafa has been saying, likening the current situation to that when he left Valencia is worrying. Especially as he has been openly critical of Parry, the man who brought him here.

He is frustrated that we are tracking players, and not getting them, resorting to 2nd/3rd/4th choice alternatives, and the amount of time taken to tie deals up.

For those reasons, expect us to pay extra to close the deals quicker, and sooner during the close season.

Previous campaigns have been over by November, due to players signed later in the day.

Alonso needs a rest and is suffering from indifferent form, keep him for another season, unless a 20+ offer is mate.

Eto'o has been largely lethargic this season, but is a goal machine, and capable of playing anywhere up front, as a lone striker (Barca) or Second Striker (Cameroon), the kind of player we need, yes.

As for other players, we need a 3rd CB, as Hypia looks to be leaving. Milito will do nicely there.

Exciting times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

PHB wrote:
    Tonio, I think your figures are about 5-10 million too low for all the players you mentioned :)

Quite possibly!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Eto'o seems keen on a move to the pool. The anticipation of who we are gonna sign this summer is killing me..
    Eto'o wrote:
    "The great thing about Liverpool is their team spirit. It is very strong," he explained in the Sunday Mirror.

"But, for me, it is their fans who win matches for Liverpool because they have so much power. They are fantastic. Any player would love to have those types of fans behind him. I have played at Anfield in the Champions League quarter-final so I know all about their fantastic supporters.

"It would be wonderful to have that kind of support as a Liverpool player but I really don't know what will happen in the next two years.

"Every time I turn around so many things have happened and changed. So I can't think about it yet.

"But you never know.

"If I play in the Premiership I will be the first to say. It won't be in the newspapers - I will be the one to break the news!"

Eto'o denied having any contact with other clubs and feels he is set to remain at Barcelona.

"I have not heard anything from Liverpool or anyone else. These things don't come through to me," he said.

"I'm only thinking about next season and I will be here next season. But every year that passes things become a bit more difficult.

"English football has changed a lot for the better over the past few years. I've seen English teams playing matches which have been very exciting.

"It's been like watching a dream team. Chelsea have been spectacular at times - they have played real football.

"And when I saw Liverpool play Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final I was impressed by the way Liverpool played a more strategic, attacking game.

"There was dribbling and great skill in that match. And when we played them I thought, 'Are we playing against Liverpool or a Spanish team?'

"I love the way the fans in England get behind their team. I respect their mentality. They are so positive in supporting their own team rather than, as happens in Spain, being against the opposition.

"That's the big difference between England and Spain."

• Advertisement

Those are 'get me the hell out of here' words.

Eto'o for sure is moving from Barca, will he goto Anfield, who knows.

Gossip

Liverpool have tabled a £5m bid for Portsmouth midfielder Matthew Taylor but face competition from Tottenham, Fulham and Aston Villa. (Sunday Mirror)

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez wants West Ham striker Carlos Tevez and is willing to offload forward Craig Bellamy to raise part of the likely £25m asking price. (The People)

Liverpool's Jermaine Pennant was devastated to find that Real Madrid's David Beckham, Tottenham's Aaron Lennon and Blackburn's David Bentley were given the chance to play on the right wing for England by being included in the squad for the matches against Brazil and Estonia. (The People)

Liverpool's American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have held emergency talks with Rafael Benitez after the manager expressed concern over the direction the club was taking. (Sunday Mirror)

Parry plays down Benitez reports

Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o would love to play for Liverpool, not least because of their "fantastic fans". (Sunday Mirror)

I was listening to Parry on bbc radio this morning, he was less than conclusive when asked about Rafas future. Reading the Sunday Times, it looks like Parry will be gone before the new season with Foster Gillett in charge of day-to-day excutive stuff. Hicks and Gillett should move now and "sack" Parry if he's presence is becoming an impediment to signing policy.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

mike65 wrote:
    I was listening to Parry on bbc radio this morning, he was less than conclusive when asked about Rafas future. Reading the Sunday Times, it looks like Parry will be gone before the new season with Foster Gillett in charge of day-to-day excutive stuff. Hicks and Gillett should move now and "sack" Parry if he's presence is becoming an impediment to signing policy.

Mike.

nothing would encourage me more for the future of the club than that sacking of parry.

nothing about him inspires me with confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

I read recently that Foster Gillet's work permit/visa/whatever has been delayed until August so he won't be able to take charge fully until then. Parry's own contract has two years left on it apparently and the suggestions were that Gillet would work along side Parry during that period - learning the ins & outs of the business and would then basically take over once Parry's contract ran out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Momo admits future is uncertain for him. Wants to stay but naturally wants to feature more. The arrival of Masch has limited his chances over the later half of the season.
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?HLID=468809&CPID=8&title=Sissoko+future+unclear&lid=&channel=Premiership&f=rss&clid=14

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Going back to the problems with Rafa and the board, I was reading in the Sunday Times about some of the issues that he was having and it makes me wonder about the team.

I think everyone knows about the issue with Vidic but, according the times, Simao Sabrosa was texting Benitez up until deadline day. In all fairness how would we win anything with that sort of attitude in the board - I hope that they sort this out fast.

The times also link us with Jefferson Farfan - PSV, Striker =? 10m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Going back to the problems with Rafa and the board, I was reading in the Sunday Times about some of the issues that he was having and it makes me wonder about the team.

I think everyone knows about the issue with Vidic but, according the times, Simao Sabrosa was texting Benitez up until deadline day. In all fairness how would we win anything with that sort of attitude in the board - I hope that they sort this out fast.

The times also link us with Jefferson Farfan - PSV, Striker =? 10m

no better than what we have. not the quality we need to take the next step.

i think the only question is how patient rafa will be with the owners and parry, its clear he's losing patience with the speed at which things are going on the transfer front.

i'd be upset to see him walk, but i wouldnt be surpirsed. liverpool need to agressively recruit the players they want/need and not wait around to see what chelsea and the other european big boys want first and then feed off the scraps.

they need to get in there first, make a good bid and compete with the other top clubs, theres ample reason for any top player to want to come to liverpool, so liverpool should be far more competative than they are, and if they cant capitalize on what the club has to offer right now, their stupid and we deserve to lose rafa, because there is no point in him working his ass off if those above him dont do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Out of any of the Spanish Four (Eto'o, Milito, Torres, Villa) Eto'o would be my preferred one. only thing is, in that interview he does say he'll be at Barca for the next season.

Guillem Balague was on SSN earlier today. He reckons Etoo would cost 50 million euro, and Valencia want 70 million euro for Villa. Torres would apparently love to move to Liverpool, and has a buy-out clause of 40 million euro, which could be negotiated down.

Honestly, I don't see all the fuss about Torres. He has talent, but is he what Liverpool need?

Honestly, I don't see all the fuss about Torres. He has talent, but is he what Liverpool need?
    No. 12 goals in the league this season. And he's started pretty much every game. What will he be like on rotation? But then again I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

Well Torres is the youngetst of the Eto'o, Villa and himself so maybe Rafa could take his potential and mold him into the player we need?

IMO, we need ready made players who will perform from the get go so we can actually be in with a chance come November, nevermind May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tonio wrote:

1. Dani Alves £15m
    2. Aaron Lennon £15m
    3. SWP £12m

£15m for a right back is crazy. Not worth buying.

He would not be used as a right back I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Slurms wrote:
    No. 12 goals in the league this season. And he's started pretty much every game. What will he be like on rotation? But then again I could be wrong.

I very much doubt it would be the intention to shell out €40 million on Torres and rotate him!

Sure aren't Celtic in for him anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He would not be used as a right back I think.

If he cant make the Sevilla team at right mid, why he considered good enough to spent 15m on and make the liverpool team?

If he cant make the Sevilla team at right mid, why he considered good enough to spent 15m on and make the liverpool team?
    Cos Sevilla don't really have a great RB?

Sevilla don't play the same system as Liverpool. Alves is very much an attacking player for them, despite playing at right back. That said, I wouldn't break the bank trying to sign him, he seems to blow hot and cold, and his attitude is questionable.

You know yourself. Look at some of the big teams in Europe, they don't have right backs. They are more right wingers than anything and the central defenders sit deeper. A right back in Spain could make a good right winger in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Newkie supposedly in for Crouch, plus two youth team Hungarian strikers arriving

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/article1848404.ece

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement