Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

if crouch were to leave expect Amauri to arrive. on the other striker im praying for Eto'o or Tevez still.

Alves would good buy for midfield, but for the money he wouldnt be my first choice. Would definately take Simao or Quaresma over him, who can both play either side.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Interest for Tevez is hotting up. Apparently Benitez may have been right. If we don't move quick enough, then we will end up losing out. Chelsea have joined Real in the race to sign Tevez. Can we really outbid those two? I'm not so sure it would be worth getting in a bidding war and ending up forking out over £30m when that would leave us with only enough cash for 1 other decent player.

"Chelsea and Real Madrid have been talked about but I still don't know where I'll go. I'm staying calm and I hope everything gets resolved as soon as possible."

"I don't know if I'm worth £40million but it makes me proud that a club as important as Chelsea is interested."

"I don't have any preferences about where I'll play - my desire is to continue playing football and I don't mind if it's in England or in another league."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

More than likely a high level of agent/owner talk there trying to talk up the price and wages. Kenyon has already said that there will be no big name signings this summer. Real Madrid have more players up front than they know what to do with, and don't know who their manager for next year will be.

That said, some of the other names mentioned as targets such as Alves, Milito, Simao leave me cold:(

Yeh, I saw the 1st half of Sevilla vs Zaragoza last night with Alvez and Milito playing.

Alvez gets forward well, in pretty much the same way as Finnan does. He hgas a greater scope for passing than Finnan, but his crossing wasn't very good. He was voer hitting everything in the 1st half.

I didn't see much of Milito apart from a couple of freekicks he gave away. The comentator kept going on about how both teams are renowned for their shaky defence but attacking style of football. Do we really want a defender renowned for playing for a bad defensive team?

What gets me about Milito is his height. And yeah I know Cannavaro and Baresi would be two of the most renowned defenders ever, and they'd be approx the same height as him, but neither of them played in England where almost every team plays with at least one target man.

Carra is going to play every game (bar injury), so when Milito would play he'd be paired with Carra. I don't think as a pairing they would be good enough in the air to do well in the premiership. Could you imagine them against the likes of Bolton for instance?. Yeah they'd probably do well in Europe, but we're doing well enough in Europe as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

£15m for a right back is crazy. Not worth buying.

I would see him filling the right sided midfield position. He looks great going forward. Finnan is solid at right back - no change required there IMO

dardoz wrote:
    Interest for Tevez is hotting up. Apparently Benitez may have been right. If we don't move quick enough, then we will end up losing out. Chelsea have joined Real in the race to sign Tevez. Can we really outbid those two? I'm not so sure it would be worth getting in a bidding war and ending up forking out over £30m when that would leave us with only enough cash for 1 other decent player.

I agree. I would not spend that much money on Tevez. He is not even worth it anyway IMO. I am not convinced that he is top quality based on what I have seen from him. Granted he did OK in a struggling West Ham side but I just dont think he has the class we need.

I just read on football365 than Abramovich has said he will no longer personally finance Chelsea's signings meaning Chelsea will have to raise the funds as a business like any other club. This is great news. Hopefully this will bring us back onto a more level playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Tonio wrote:
    I agree. I would not spend that much money on Tevez. He is not even worth it anyway IMO. I am not convinced that he is top quality based on what I have seen from him. Granted he did OK in a struggling West Ham side but I just dont think he has the class we need.

He is still a young player and imo has the ability to become a great player. Ronaldo didnt play that well when he first joined United took awhile to settle in to the team.

Give him a chance .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

dardoz wrote:
    I just read on football365 than Abramovich has said he will no longer personally finance Chelsea's signings meaning Chelsea will have to raise the funds as a business like any other club. This is great news. Hopefully this will bring us back onto a more level playing field.

That has to be seen as good news for the game overall if he sticks to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The Muppet wrote:
    That has to be seen as good news for the game overall if he sticks to it.
    True, but even if they did have to finance their own players they have spent enough that they will have plenty to spend if they got rid of one or two of their fringe players. But you are right, in a couple of seasons time if Abr sticks to it the rest of the premierships will at the least be competing on a level playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i find it very difficult to believe that the current chelsea squad could be sustained without abramovich personally bankrolling transfers and wages.

i doubt even utd could sustain the kind of wages that squad of players are on and chelsea are not the media money making machine that man utd are, united however have a wage structure, chelsea have shown no semblance of wage structure since the abramovich took over.

i'm aware that the long term plan for chelsea was to have them turn a profit by 2010 or something, but, i'll believe it when i see. i expect them to keep on spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It can't. Their wages are almost 150% that of doubles, with their income not even on Chelsea's level.

2010 is totally unrealistic, 2020, if they keep buying up the youth talent, and keep them on low wages, maybe :)

That said, it's just them posturing to get cheaper players imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

True, but even if they did have to finance their own players they have spent enough that they will have plenty to spend if they got rid of one or two of their fringe players.

Not if they keep making losses on players like with Duff, Parker, Veron and potentially SWP ( ~20 to ~10) and Makelele. Surely even Lampard won't fetch as much as he is worth if he moves as he is in the last year of his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Him and Terry have 2 years left.

• Advertisement

365 also says Terry and Lamps are on the verge of leaving because Chelsea are attempting to put a wage cap in place which is stopping them from getting what they want.

I don't know if theres much truth in it tho tbh. It was said initially they wanted to match the wages of Ballack and Sheva. If Chelsea are attempting to put a wage cap into place surely they couldnt have it at less than those 2 are currently earning.

I think PHB could be on the mark tbh. All sounds like they are trying to prevent being overcharged for players.

in other news. We just signed a couple of Hungarian kids.
    "Liverpool have moved swiftly to bolster their reserve ranks by agreeing deals to sign Hungarian pair Krisztian Nemeth and Andras Simon from MTK Hungaria.
    Nemeth, Krisztian

Nemeth, 18, and Simon, 17, appeared for Hungary in last year's UEFA Under-17 Championships.

The duo are both strikers, although Nemeth also plays in midfield."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

" Marseille president Pape Diouf has declared his intention to keep Djibril Cisse at the Stade Velodrome next season."

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2153292,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Lamps can buy himself out this summer can't he? isn't it anyone over 28? that's just the news Rafa will have wanted to hear though. hopefully it will level the playing field a bit if there's any truth to it.

well, our new boy didn't make the preliminary 34 man Brazil for Copa America

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2153753,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Malouda is this morning's rumor.

its probably only ****e...

here's the article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=458335&in_page_id=1779

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Malouda is this morning's rumor.

He's last weeks rumour :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53313064&postcount=7641

zing wrote:
    damn you!

*shakes fist*

So Malouda for the left? French footballer of the year.

What are people's opinions? Certainly he's better than any current option we have for the left. Better than Simao?

There's room for both players of course. Simao can play on both wings, offers flexibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

he certainly played well in the world cup, i think he would be more physically capable of adapting to the premiership also than say, simáo.....i guess we will have to wait and see!!

One thought on Eto'o... The African Nations Cup is next year. Eto'o would be away with Cameroon for extended periods....

I have to say that would be off-putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

yeah sissoko will obviously be going on his holidays around the same time. but chelsea will lose drogba,essien,kalou,im not sure who obi mikal plays for? at least stevie sidwell should get a few games for them in january :D

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    One thought on Eto'o... The African Nations Cup is next year. Eto'o would be away with Cameroon for extended periods....

He'd be gone for a month or so afaik but as long as he was banging them in before he went and after he came back I'd willingly drive him to the airport myself if needs be. The squad needs to be able to cope with the loss of key players be it through injury or otherwise. Having a major tournament mid season is unfortunate but that's the way it is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    So Malouda for the left? French footballer of the year.
    What are people's opinions?
    I have to admit to not having seen him play much. Having said that he would probably be as good if not better than what we have already. I seem to remember him doing okay in the World Cup last year though. He's younger than Kewell and surely can't be as injury-prone. I'm not sure if Gonzalez's tranfer to Real Betis has gone through yet but Malouda's probably already at the level we would like Gonzalez to reach. Zenden's gone and Pennant, Luis Garcia and Gerrard can also do a job there but their best positions are surely other areas of the pitch so the only other competition is the unfortunate Aurelio who's shown glimpses of what he's capable of and Riise who's best position is probably left back.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I agree it would be a bit of an issue but having said that, I'm sure it's something Rafa would like to have to deal with. :)

• Advertisement

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=villa-line-up-anfield-double-swoop%26method=full%26objectid=19213749%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

By the looks of it it could be very good business with Bellamy (getting much more that we paid) but Kewell will go on the cheap.

Bascombe also says we're ready to move for Malouda for 8m and that both Tevez & Alesandro Mancini (Roma) are being considered. And Hypia likely to stay for his final year which is good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Malouda is a pretty good player, if he joined he'd be the best winger Liverpool have instantly.

the idea benitez has for getting double what was paid for bellamy is ludicrous tbh. 12 million?? if anything i reckon his value has depreciated since he's come to the club, despite going so far in the champions league. i think 8 million would be more than he's worth.

i wouldnt be suprised if it was just rafa setting the bar so high that he'll get the most money out of whoever wants him, god knows pool have been getting screwed when it comes to transfer fees over the past few years.

no real concrete rumours so far though, but i'd expect benitez to want to have all the transfer business sorted before they head off to japan or wherever in the east the pre season tour is this year.

Silly season started in earnest. Links to Burdisso, Keita, Bodmer, and Rosina

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=41453
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=41454
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=41427
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=41435

Of the ones mentioned today, Mancini has always played well anytime I've seen him. And he got some goal at the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBTsMLu8N0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Some goal indeed.

While I am not completely convinced about Simao or Milouda, there is no doubting that they would instantly add to the first team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mancinni would rip the premiership apart, so so so fast and strong.

Good passer aswell, and knows where the goal is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote:
    Malouda is a pretty good player, if he joined he'd be the best winger Liverpool have instantly.

yeah thats pretty much true. he's the type of player we need

PHB wrote:

I haven't seen him play but any time someone mentions a French left winger Bernard Diomede always comes to mind ..... * shivers *

the idea of signing another french player is enough to send shivers up any liverpool fans spine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D Think of thi,s if Rafa gets frustrated and walks Ged is free.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    :D Think of thi,s if Rafa gets frustrated and walks Ged is free.

Mike.

:( why would you say that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

So we have been linked with...

Villa
    Torres
    Tevez*
    Eto'o
    David Silva
    Mancini
    Milito
    Alves*
    Simao*
    Malouda*
    Iaquinta
    Amauri

Italics - Likely
    Bold - v.unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Cant see us signing Alves and Simao,both for the same position and Simao would be a lot cheaper.Barca also want Alves.
    Heard Graham Hunter and Guillem Ballague both say Rafa is furious already with the Americans due to the fact that they are willing to wait till early August to sign palyers and not straight away.

Cant honestly see us buy 30mill striker then if they are messing about already

raven136 wrote:
    Cant see us signing Alves and Simao,both for the same position and Simao would be a lot cheaper.Barca also want Alves.
    Heard Graham Hunter and Guillem Ballague both say Rafa is furious already with the Americans due to the fact that they are willing to wait till early August to sign palyers and not straight away.

Cant honestly see us buy 30mill striker then if they are messing about already

Well Simao can play on both wings and Alves can play RB. I dont think he will sign Simao, Alves and Mouloda but I think all three are likely signings, what combination he will go for, I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Gonzalez out for 5mill and Malouda in for 8mill would be good business

Bellamy and Kewell for 10 mill and Simao for 12m(and cisse)

Rafa seems to be doing ok business,hoping to get better players and not spending loads then keeping the hopefully big bucks for tevez/villa/eto

• Advertisement

have a feeling rafa will walk if we dont have our players in place by the end of june and its the owners fault - that will leave us up **** creek.

From Football 365
    Talk of Malouda is everywhere else, with The Guardian saying the midfielder is 'edging closer to an £8m switch to Anfield'. The newspaper also names Villa as a target for Benitez, along with 'Simao Sabrosa of Benfica, Carlos Tevez at West Ham, Roma's Alessandro Mancini'.

i'd take all those players!!!

Call_me_al wrote:
    have a feeling rafa will walk if we dont have our players in place by the end of june and its the owners fault - that will leave us up **** creek.

From Football 365

i'd take all those players!!!

Moulouda
    Mancini
    Tevez
    Villa
    Simao

Not a chance!!

in fairness it would be about 75m worth of players but if the owners give us 50m and we generate 25m worth of sales:

Kewell + Bellamy - 12m
    Crouch - 10m
    Cisse - 3m

Done and Done...

Call_me_al wrote:
    in fairness it would be about 75m worth of players but if the owners give us 50m and we generate 25m worth of sales:

Kewell + Bellamy - 12m
    Crouch - 10m
    Cisse - 3m

Done and Done...

Well Cisse will be sold for more than 3m. Gonzalez is going for 5m (euros I think), Rafa wants 12m for Bellamy alone & I think Crouch would fetch more than 10m aswell. However I think that group of players would be mroe than 75m.

Moulouda 10m
    Mancini 10m
    Tevez 20m ?
    Villa 25m ?
    Simao 12m

Actually, thats only 77 million. You were close!

i would have said:

Moulouda 9m
    Mancini 8m
    Tevez 25m
    Villa 25m
    Simao 10m

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement