Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Arsenal want Eto'o plus 25m for Henry, this could mess us up?

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?HLID=469273&CPID=8&title=Gunners+'offered'+Eto'o+bait&lid=&channel=Football_Home&f=rss&clid=3

Barcelona have offered Samuel Eto'o to Arsenal as a makeweight for Thierry Henry, according to reports in Spain.

Spanish daily Marca claims Barca are ready to part with the Cameroonian striker plus €25million (£17million) in order to bring Henry to Camp Nou.

The report says negotiations between Barca sport director Txiki Beguiristain and his Arsenal counterparts are already well advanced.

It also says the deal has met with approval from Arsene Wenger and the two players.

Eto'o's future has been the subject of speculation for some time and he has expressed a liking for the English game.

Henry has continued to be linked with Barca following Arsenal's disappointing season, even though he signed a long-term deal with The Gunners last summer.

Wenger guaranteed that his talismanic captain would not be sold earlier this month, while Henry has assured fans previously that his future remains in London.

Barcelona have yet to confirm whether there is any substance in the report, while Eto'o is currently away on international duty with Cameroon and has not commented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tevez will be 30 million, as you'll be competing with other teams. Also, the second people realise that you have money, the prices go up at least 5 million.

Personally, I haven't seen any evidence to suggest the Americans are really gona back him to the hilt, so I think we could see the following deals done.

Cisse sold for 3 million and Gonzalez sold for 5
    Malouda bought for around 10

Bellamy for about 6-7 million and Kewell for about 4 million, gets Simao for about 12

Then say a 20 million war chest to buy whatever striker that Benetiz wants and can get. I personally can't see Eto/Tevez/Villa going to Liverpool. I think they would if they had no other choice, but I can't see how the other top teams wouldn't be in for all of them. Furthermore, Villa, they are apparently holding out for CRAZY money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I doubt Crouch is going anywhere guys, Benitez feels that he's the right player to have for certain situations.

I doubt Crouch is going anywhere guys, Benitez feels that he's the right player to have for certain situations.

Besides Cara and Reina, i would say there is no one in the squad who wouldnt be sold if the right offer came along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think the pre-agreed fee with Marseille for Cisse was £7mil.

Whether they're still willing to take him for keeps is another matter...

Maybe a swap + cash for Ribery ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Call_me_al wrote:
    Besides Cara and Reina, i would say there is no one in the squad who wouldnt be sold if the right offer came along.
    Fair enough but it's not like Benitez is going to replace the entire squad! Anyway, there isn't a club that will pay £7 million+ for Crouch to make it worthwhile for 'Pool to sell him.

The way I look at it is, Kuyt is the grafter up front, Crouch is there for the aerial presence and ability to take the ball down, Bellamy is the pacy striker and now Voronin will be back up.

The only problem upfront is that Bellamy just hasn't been good enough. So I imagine he'll be the only one sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

2 wingers and one striker,i think rafa just wants to be able to buy the best thats available this time.
    Malouda and Simao are both very good but its the striker of eto or villa's quality he seesm to be pining for.Both would join if the money was right and the spanish factor cannot be ruled out,manager,staff and players speak it and so the culture factor might not be such a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yea i personally think that Bellamy will be the only striker leaving as well (unless there is some sort of deal involving Crouch and Owen or we get a bid for around 15 million for him).

Think there will be a couple of wingers coming in, players who could play on both sides would be ideal so we could switch it up if it wasn't working, think Pennant has played his way into Rafas plans for next year and personally think that if Kewell could stay injury free next year he might be the premierships suprise package! (actually maybe combined bet of Liverpool to win the league and Kewell to get PFA player of the year might be worth a punt!:))

PHB: you mind if i ask why you think Eto'o, Tevez or Villa wouldn't go to Liverpool?
    Not getting into silly arguement, just curious???:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Mancini would be a great signing. I'd much prefer Mancini + Malouda than Alves + Simao.

can anyone tell me more about mancini and his position.Is he any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Rafa said he wanted to move quickly with players and here's another in the bag.
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=469338&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=&title=Reds+recruit+teen+midfielder

Unfortunately it's yet another hopeful for tomorrow - not someone for today

Slurms wrote:
    Mancini would be a great signing. I'd much prefer Mancini + Malouda than Alves + Simao.

I'm not overly fussy - I'll take either combination over what we've got atm

PHB: you mind if i ask why you think Eto'o, Tevez or Villa wouldn't go to Liverpool?
    Not getting into silly arguement, just curious???

It's not that they wouldn't go to Liverpool, it's that they'd go to other clubs before them.
    All of these players have been courted by other major clubs

Eto'o - Chelsea, Milan, Arsenal, United
    Tevez - Real Madrid
    Villa - Chelsea

There have been strong links for all those players to those teams. I'm not saying that they won't go to Liverpool, I'm saying that they are more likely to go to the other bigger clubs. Tevez is the key example. Liverpool might want to buy him, but if Real Madrid match Liverpool's offer, I just can't see Tevez not going to Real Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think crouch has said he's staying, if he is going I think he should be worth at least 14mil, he's England’s number 1 striker and Liverpool’s top goal scorer. why would a champions league final player go for 10 mill. He's got a great CV now.

EDIT* Also im really p*ssed off at the thoughts of no irish players at liverpool in the future, is there no interest in signing any of our up and coming youth players.

i disagree PHB, great players like Henry and Eto'o have said they would love to play for Liverpool. There is not many times you hear that about most other clubs.

Also personally I dont think it is in a players best interest to sign for Chelsea or Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Torres doesn't help his chances
    http://breakingnews.ie/sport/?jp=MHKFCWSNIDAU

not sure if he's worth it any way when fit. He did score only 12 goals in la liga but Atletico only play with 1 up front and also are not the most creative team so not sure what way to read the low return. He does have some fine quality though good in the air, quick strong and also can finish with both feet. He looked a real player in the world cup last year so will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

raven136 wrote:
    can anyone tell me more about mancini and his position.Is he any use?
    Left wing, right wing or behind the strikers. Him and Totti don't like each other so he'll probably be happy to leave. He'd cost £10-15m though.

have to say PHB that i'd disagree with that too. Think of all the clubs you mentioned only Real Madrid might be able to entice those players to them ahead of Liverpool.

Liverpool have as good a chance if not better than the other clubs you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

the only attactive feature of madrid i can see is the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

el rabitos wrote:
    the only attactive feature of madrid i can see is the weather
    its the capital of spain, its a beautiful city, Real are potential champions, they have a lot of quality in their team, they have a proven manager.

Don't be daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Sun (*spit*) links us with a £12 million move for Valencia's Silva. He is absolute quality, and I'd love to see him in a Liverpool shirt. He can play on either wing or through the centre, and he's got an excellent left foot. I'd take him over Simao, and probably Malouda too.

Probably won't see any movement on it until La Liga is done and dusted though, if it's true.

The likes of Tevez and Villa would have grown up with Real Madrid on a pedestal and that might be a deciding factor for them if they recieve an offer from there.

Think after Real, Liverpool and United would be next favourites. . . with Liverpools new investors, History, passionate fans, European form swinging it in their favour

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    its the capital of spain, its a beautiful city, Real are potential champions, they have a lot of quality in their team, they have a proven manager.

Don't be daft.

they have won nothing, thats nothing in 4 years. they have a proven manager who's style gets booed by the home fans, the manager is one of europes favourates to get the chop weather they win the championship or not. they have had several mangers over the past 4 years alone.

unstable is not even the word for real madrid. currently liverpool have everything any top player would want if not more right now than madrid. liverpool have every reason to feel that they could be competitive with real when it comes to signing any player.

daft? no. realistic. real are not as infinitely attractive as they once were or could be.

Bellamy caught the Celtic bug in his short time there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chJcv5ysaTo

cough up 12 million Eirebhoy and he's yours!

Didnt think so :)

• Advertisement

£12m my arse. :) £6m would get him imo. Even then you could get Frei for half that and half his wages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

eirebhoy wrote:
    £12m my arse. :) £6m would get him imo. Even then you could get Frei for half that and half his wages.

I would say you would get him for around £8m maybe a bit less,his wages could be a prob for Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Liverpool aren't in the bestbargaining position in relation to Bellamy eeing as h hasn't played half as well as he did for Blackburn (despite it being dwon to a clash of styles)...they can't expect to make a profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote:
    Personally, I haven't seen any evidence to suggest the Americans are really gona back him to the hilt

I dont know about that, shelling out 8million for a player whose position we're not even weak in just because Rafa wanted him is a pretty big sign to me..

even in the past week the Americans have still been saying if you want "snoogy doogy" we'll buy him. Interesting choice of made up name, but the point stands..

I think we'll see 1 or 2 high profile names joining in the coming few weeks, but could see the striker deal taking longer, waiting to see what actually pans out and who actually puts in solid offers and for what prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Seems Malouda is pretty much in the bag.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2090931,00.html

• Advertisement

There's no doubting Malouda's quality, I just hope that he can adjust to the English style.

its a step in the right direction anyway, proven quality rather then a hopeful gamble. If he's the solution for the left side, id nearly like to see all the others shipped out (kewell, zenden sold, gonzalez on loan), and see Adam Hamill come back as the backup for the left side. Pennant has done well, but still isnt top top notch, so wouldnt mind seeing Simao or Mancini come in as top choice there.

then theres the striker. anyones guess still at this point.

Rafa happy things are going in the right direction following his meetings with Gillet/Hicks.
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=benitez%2D%2D8217%2Ds-positive-outlook%26method=full%26objectid=19218927%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Sounds like they've given him the reassurances he was looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Wouldn't have minded seeing him end up at Old Trafford, he's a quality player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

snoogy doogy

Plays for the Baltimore BoneHeads as a linebacker I belive. Malouda is someone who I can't really 'place' dispite his apparences in the world cup.

Mike.

i disagree PHB, great players like Henry and Eto'o have said they would love to play for Liverpool. There is not many times you hear that about most other clubs.

There's a big difference between praising a club and playing for it.
    have to say PHB that i'd disagree with that too. Think of all the clubs you mentioned only Real Madrid might be able to entice those players to them ahead of Liverpool.

Liverpool have as good a chance if not better than the other clubs you mentioned.

Real Madrid have the huge pull of the Spanish lifestyle and the size of the football club.
    Look at it this way, players want to win trophies. Next season, no matter who they sign, Milan, Chelsea, and United are going to be competing in all four comps, and they have as good a chance as anyone at winning their leagues and the CL (although I think Milan and Chelsea have a better chance at it than United) Liverpool can not say the same. Arsenal is different, as while it has the same chance of winning things (although I think the fact that they equalled Liverpools league position this season despite their spat of injuries shows that they are going to be more likely to challenge next year), but Arsenal have the pull of being an emerging team with incredibly talented players. Although I could see why the pull of Arsenal and Liverpool are the same, although, personally I think Arsenal would have a bigger pull.

This isn't just random thoughts, just look at the facts. When was the last time Liverpool signed a big name player? Like a world star? When was the last time they were even in for one? Tevez if he has the choice of Real Madrid and Liverpool, will pick Real Madrid, unless he desperately wants to stay in the premiership, although I can't see any reason why he would. Real Madrid are going to be challenging for the league and the CL next season irrespective of whether he joins or not.
    they have won nothing, thats nothing in 4 years. they have a proven manager who's style gets booed by the home fans, the manager is one of europes favourates to get the chop weather they win the championship or not. they have had several mangers over the past 4 years alone.

unstable is not even the word for real madrid. currently liverpool have everything any top player would want if not more right now than madrid. liverpool have every reason to feel that they could be competitive with real when it comes to signing any player.

daft? no. realistic. real are not as infinitely attractive as they once were or could be

Really? Who's that team that is top of their league currently? When was the last time Liverpool could say that? I can't honastly think you believe that. Real are challenging for their league this season, something Liverpool havn't done in a long time. They have a massive squad of incredibly talent players in every position, and despite a few weaknesses, they are still one of the biggest clubs in the world. Real Madrid still has the biggest pull of any club in the world imo, above every other team.
    Also personally I dont think it is in a players best interest to sign for Chelsea or Real Madrid.

Maybe, there are a lot of failed players at Chelsea and Real Madird, no denying it (SWP and Baptista instantly come to mind). But players that are good enough to be wanted by those clubs tend to have so much self-belief that they believe they can break into any squad, which is probably why they are so good. It's why young talent will still join Chelsea despite all of the reasons not to.

I dont know about that, shelling out 8million for a player whose position we're not even weak in just because Rafa wanted him is a pretty big sign to me..

even in the past week the Americans have still been saying if you want "snoogy doogy" we'll buy him. Interesting choice of made up name, but the point stands..

I think we'll see 1 or 2 high profile names joining in the coming few weeks, but could see the striker deal taking longer, waiting to see what actually pans out and who actually puts in solid offers and for what prices.

I think they have shown that they are going to spend money, but I don't think they've done anything to show they are going to spend mega bucks. I would be gobsmacked if Liverpools net spend was above 40 million, and I expect it to be maybe around.

PHB wrote:
    There's a big difference between praising a club and playing for it.

This isn't just random thoughts, just look at the facts. When was the last time Liverpool signed a big name player? Like a world star? When was the last time they were even in for one? Tevez if he has the choice of Real Madrid and Liverpool, will pick Real Madrid, unless he desperately wants to stay in the premiership, although I can't see any reason why he would. Real Madrid are going to be challenging for the league and the CL next season irrespective of whether he joins or not.

I think they have shown that they are going to spend money, but I don't think they've done anything to show they are going to spend mega bucks. I would be gobsmacked if Liverpools net spend was above 40 million, and I expect it to be maybe around.

As far as i'm aware (not 100% sure) but didnt Eto'o say that he'd love to play for liverpool, and not just say he admires them?

in relation to the money issue and big names: isn't that the whole point? With the new investment it moves Liverpool onto the next level, one where they haven't been really able to compete in the past. this may or may not see them sign a massive name, but all i'm saying if Rafa wants a big name and the americans are willing to put up the money, i think Liverpool is in an EXTREMELY good position to attract them and also an extremely tempting opportunity for them, one of the biggest clubs in world football, great manager, great players, flying in europe, and with new investment - hopefully returning to former glories in the league.

As far as i'm aware (not 100% sure) but didnt Eto'o say that he'd love to play for liverpool, and not just say he admires them?

in relation to the money issue and big names: isn't that the whole point? With the new investment it moves Liverpool onto the next level, one where they haven't been really able to compete in the past. this may or may not see them sign a massive name, but all i'm saying if Rafa wants a big name and the americans are willing to put up the money, i think Liverpool is in an EXTREMELY good position to attract them and also an extremely tempting opportunity for them, one of the biggest clubs in world football, great manager, great players, flying in europe, and with new investment - hopefully returning to former glories in the league.

really hope its true that they are seriously backing him,just seems that rafa's main media man(gulliem ballague)has already said how frustrated he is that it will be august before their son arrives to sort some deals

it seems united have signed Nani and Anderson - apparently it puts them at about 51m spend already. if we dont keep up the gap will only become bigger at this rate.

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote:
    it seems united have signed Nani and Anderson - apparently it puts them at about 51m spend already. if we dont keep up the gap will only become bigger at this rate.
    Incredible move by Utd. Those two are gonna be very good in the future and they'll have a great surrounding to mature in. LFC need to get the cheque book out now. Here's hoping as soon as Rafa's back from his holiday the announcements begin.

Have faith in Rafa!

i have faith in rafa, just dont have alot of faith in parry to do what rafa asks

cant see Parry being around after Christmas when the yanks son comes in. Plus Rafa says he has talked to the americans about transfers and is happy with how things are lining up.

Tevez
    Mouluda/Silva
    Simao/Quaresma

heres hoping :)

christmas is about 6 months too late i reckon. the good news is united have probably blown their load as far as the transfer market goes. thats probably all their major work done

yea, sure didnt ferguson even say only lookin for 3 targets? thats em all done. no major forward player there, must be playing 4-5-1 in order to emulate Rafas style and record in europe :)

dying to see this Lucas fella next year.

i know christmas is a bit late for parry to leave but if he knows he's on the way out and Rafa doesnt think he is up for the dealings in the transfer market i sure rafa and that yanks will have no problem by-passin him in the mean time to get the job done

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

has a deal been done to keep Mascherano yet? co that wont be cheap

It's horrible to think of the amount of flair Utd now have at their disposal. Scary!
    Hope Lucas pushes Gerrard for a spot in the team, he really needs a kick in the arse.

hope Lucas does alright, Gerrard needs a really big year if we wanna challenge for the title next year.

As for mascherano, he aint going anywhere, 1.5 million for an 18 month loan then 10 million to buy outright at the end of that period if i remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

raven136 wrote:
    really hope its true that they are seriously backing him,just seems that rafa's main media man(gulliem ballague)has already said how frustrated he is that it will be august before their son arrives to sort some deals

whos this gulliem ballague? and whos son are you on about? The guy thats supposed to be replacing parry is it??

Not to gone on malouda although I havent really seen much of him, but I barely remember him in the world cup last year so thats not really a good thing.

We really need to make sure we sign a top striker I feel thats the main priority.A striker who gets goals. Eto or even Owen. Im not sure if about Villa or Torres as I feel there names go before their actual ability.They are great players though Id have no problem with one of them joining but I think Eto should be number one. I wouldnt mind seeing Owen coming in round 9 million along side eto (wishful thinking)

We need wingers secondly. Ricardo Quaresma is a great player, very christy ronaldo style but with a brain :P. Not gone on simao either although hes not bad. Joaquin would be a good signing no? Although he probably has a hefty price tag.Frank Ribery isnt bad either.

Speaking of strikers Luca Toni joined Bayern today for 11 million. Bit of a bargain if you ask me. Hes big and has talent although he is 30...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement