Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

If we don't get 1 of Mancini, Tevez or Eto'o I'll be disappointed cos I don't the other potentials as that big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

er, didn't Anelka play for Liverpool not so long ago...why would they want him back...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

er, didn't Anelka play for Liverpool not so long ago...why would they want him back...?

Same could have been said about Fowler couldn't it ?

Personally I don't want Anelka back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

woodyg wrote:
    not much to be honest, yes the man is quality but he's just to much of a pain in the arse to deal with. he just doesn't fit in at a club unless he's the big cheese.
    He didn't settle before so can't see him settling this time.

well he didnt want to leave but Ged made the choice of him or Diouf and completely picked the wrong player. he claimed to have loved playing for liverpool.
    woodyg wrote:
    I know the Season is still happening but this is the time to get your business done as it A)means less competition for the player B)player has time to settle in and do pre-season C) out going players can then be sold as position is filled D) eases managers/fans worries about lack of direction.

Pre-season training doesnt start till the 25th of June so we have twenty days to buy players. while the deals may be done behind the scenes -which is what i meant - there is no way an anouncement would be made about the future of players like Eto'o while the title is still on the line.

I would imagine we will hear something soon - feeling a bit more confident about the situation, Rafa seems happy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

dardoz wrote:
    If we don't get 1 of Mancini, Tevez or Eto'o I'll be disappointed cos I don't the other potentials as that big.

I'd say you are going to be fairly dissapointed then. Dont see us signing any of the above.

zing wrote:
    Same could have been said about Fowler couldn't it ?

Personally I don't want Anelka back

well, we all know that signing was just to appease the Pool faithful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

well, we all know that signing was just to appease the Pool faithful...

Not really he was brought back to score goals and teach the others how to do the same.
    i can see Fowler going in to coaching after his carer ends.

i would be very surprised if he did. in fact i think i recall him saying he wouldnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Anelka wanted to stay but GH decided to buy Diouf instead of keeping Anelka..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Call_me_al wrote:
    i would be very surprised if he did. in fact i think i recall him saying he wouldnt.

in his book (before he was bought back) he said he felt he had unfinished business at Liverpool, and not to be surprised if he ended up back there in a coaching role after he finished his career

I stand corrected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Call_me_al wrote:
    I stand corrected!

i sit contented ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Th Th Th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Anelka wanted to stay but GH decided to buy Diouf instead of keeping Anelka..
    It was unfortunate that Diouf was being hailed as a fantastic player on the strength of his performances in the World Cup. He was never going to be a goal scorer like Anelka. That made it all the more frustrating that Houllier didn't keep him. They weren't the same type of player.

well in all fairness he scored 5 goals or thereabouts in 20 odd appearences...

• Advertisement

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anelka played 20 games and scored 4

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

rondeco wrote:
    Th Th Th
    TH14?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Waster wrote:
    TH14?
    Sacre Bleu, what are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Sure Henry is gonna choose LFC over Barca...

• Advertisement

Slurms wrote:
    Sure Henry is gonna choose LFC over Barca...

He won't but he did say that he would love to play in front of the Kop as a Liverpool player..

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

rondeco wrote:
    Sacre Bleu, what are you on about?
    Je ne sais crois.
    Can't see it happening myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Chelsea have reportedly entered the race to sign long-term Liverpool target Daniel Alves.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8698_2167097,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

darkskol wrote:
    Chelsea have reportedly entered the race to sign long-term Liverpool target Daniel Alves.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8698_2167097,00.html

I really really hope they dont sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

be sick if he went there ahead of us and was a big success

Milan sniffing around Eto'o as well.
    http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marca.com%2Fedicion%2Fmarca%2Ffutbol%2Finternacional%2Fes%2Fdesarrollo%2F1002273.html&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=chrome://global/locale/intl.properties&ie=UTF8

Not much point in worrying about it until after the Spanish league finishes as there's unlikely to be any movement before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Just wanted to note that its good that Stevie and Jamie have signed 4 year contract extensions. Also what was good to note was that the negotiations went quickly and smoothly, so that is a good sign coming from Gillet and Hicks (and their sons).

What is overall more worrying perhaps are the signals coming from Parry/Benitez. Did I hear it correctly that Parry will in time fade out this season as the young sons of Gillet and Hicks take over the day-to-day running of LFC? Benitez is also not happy of late and is looking for big spending, but so far purchases have been of the same type as before, as in small. I cant see them spending 100m, and figures reported of 30m net spending budget are perhaps more accurate.

Liverpool, with new owners, is in a state of change again, so I would be surprised if a new team can be bedded in and put in a decent league challenge. Still, a good CL challenge is possible as was shown this season, so I think from a target perspective, I will be looking for progress as far as possible in the CL competition next season and look for FA Cup and League Cup as possible silverware.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Part of me wouldn't mind giving Cissé another 6 months to see if he can make an impact. He was so rarely fully fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

The whole Cissé debate has to be one of the most split topics of all time. The way I see it is that Rafa is ruthless and really set in his ways. He has expectations about his players and if they do not live up those expectations he won't keep them. This his been displayed constantly throughout his time at Liverpool. What those standards and expectations are no one apart from Rafa knows but I am sure Djibril did not meet the standard so we definitely won't be seeing him back at Liverpool.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

I had a dream about Mancini last night. I think its a sign :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Gerrard won his libel case against a newspaper (not sure which one) claiming he had secret talks with Madrid. Tabloids genuinely boggle my mind, I don't know how they can just pull things out of their asses and expect to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Hicks says the final stadium design has been submitted and will be released when approved by the council.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156104070605-1713.htm

Did work actually start on the stadium yet ie: first sod turned. Just wondering if Liverpool missed out on the grant they were to get if work wasnt started on time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Probably because the sales generated by their bullsh*t stories cover their legal fees/fines many times over.

I'm with Tusky on this, I reckon we're all gonna be quite disappointed.

Yom: I'm pretty sure I read in a Gerrard/Carra interview that the stadium has been put back a year due to the re-design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i think it was only slightly delayed so the new owners could review the design, preliminary work had began (your proverbial first sod dug) so i think they are still entitled to the grant. The yanks brought in some stadium experts they've dealt with before to maximise capacity,acoustics etc etc and said yesterday he is delighted with the design they've come up with, that its unique as well as very advanced. said its all based around the Kop, said the Kop will act as a symphony stage thats playing to the symphony hall. so hopefully it'll work out well, have to say that i've been impressed with most of the comments made by our new owners.

I think the points to be covered were:

(a) stadium has to be able to be expanded on in future if needs be.
    (b) capacity up from last proposal. 60k ---> 68k??
    (c) a defined "kop" type stand. ie one big single tier stand.

dardoz wrote:
    I had a dream about Mancini last night. I think its a sign :p

You sure you should be admitting that here ?

Henry to Liverpool rumor doing the rounds all day and looks like the bookies are taking a fair bit of money on it now.
    http://www.williamhillmedia.com/index_template.asp?file=8151

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

pretty stupid bet...

just been looking around other forums like TIA etc and theres a lot of "henry seen at melwood", "henry seen around liverpool, estate agents etc" kind of links. I very much doubt it but you never know.. The most solid sign really is the William Hill story. Would be a great signing though, still probably 3 great years in him id say, not to mention the merchandising potential!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Henry to Liverpool is a pretty funny rumour :)

it is, id still bite their hand off though.

Heres another, more grounded and realistic rumour (with source!)
    it emerged last night that Alessandro Mancini, the AS Roma winger, is the subject of serious discussion inside Anfield amid growing optimism that he can be lured to Merseyside.

Mancini, 27, has been a regular for Roma for the past four seasons and enhanced his reputation as one of the most skilful wingers in world football with a spectacular goal against Lyons in the last 16 of the Champions League in March. He prefers to operate on the right wing, but is also comfortable on the left-hand side. It is not yet clear whether BenÍtez hopes to sign him as well as Florent Malouda, the Lyons left winger, or instead of him.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article1890443.ece

Would love to see him at Pool. Nigh on the perfect winger, and has Rafa's favourite attribute of being multi purpose, could play on either side.

This is an interesting bit from the same article;
    there has been a disturbing lack of progress in talks with Xabi Alonso. The Spain midfield player is known to be attracting firm interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid. If Alonso does not sign a new contract, he is likely to be offered to Barcelona as a makeweight in a deal to sign Samuel Eto’o, the Cameroon forward, who is an ambitious target.

Really dont wanna see him go..

PHB wrote:

Absolutely. It's always funny to watch silly rumours gain momentum though.

That said I keep looking out the window for low flying pigs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

PHB wrote:
    Nice thought though.

• Advertisement

There's a reasonable chance Henry might leave Arsenal alright, but I can't picture it being to another English club.. Barca would be most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    There's a reasonable chance Henry might leave Arsenal alright, but I can't picture it being to another English club.. Barca would be most likely.

yes my thoughts precisely.

Henry is a player of flair and would only wish to play with another team associated with flair i.e. barcelona sadly, very sadly not liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Imagine if we got Eto & Henry :o would be class. However, if Barca were interested, mightn't let Eto go if they didnt get Henry?? Or might arrange sumfin with Liverpool, drop your interest in Henry & ya can have Eto. But who would ya rather have?? Henry proven in Premiership like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Berns wrote:
    Imagine if we got Eto & Henry :o would be class. However, if Barca were interested, mightn't let Eto go if they didnt get Henry?? Or might arrange sumfin with Liverpool, drop your interest in Henry & ya can have Eto. But who would ya rather have?? Henry proven in Premiership like :rolleyes:

not being bad, but i dont think barca would have to ask them to drop their interest.

if liverpool and barca both bid for him, i cant see him joining liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Agreed. Henry could move alright, Arsenal need money, and Henry if he is going to move at all needs to move soon before he gets too 'old' - he is 30 in August. But a move will be to a foreign club, not to Liverpool, which wouldnt suit either Arsenal or Henry.

Arsenal will also look for a large fee. Henry of course would be reasonably happy to commit to Arsenal until he is 34 for the remainder of his best playing days, but it will be in his mind a resignation of sorts that he may never win the CL, and may only win a couple of trophies with this young team that Wenger has built/is building. I am sure that his agent is talking to several, but whether it happens or not is another story as he is the star at Arsenal and leaving such a perch is a difficult choice.

Redspider

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement