Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

joe123 wrote:
    ....have you gone mad???

Kuyt is a grafter
    Crouch is good in certain situations
    Voronin is backup. He is an average player who was muck at the world cup and average at leverkusen.

how many times did you watch him for leverkusen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

joe123 wrote:
    ....have you gone mad???

Kuyt is a grafter
    Crouch is good in certain situations
    Voronin is backup. He is an average player who was muck at the world cup and average at leverkusen.

I know its early to be getting impatient, but im getting impatient. I can already feel the "anti Hicks gillet" starting within me...No matter what people say on here liverpool NEED a world class striker. We need an eto.

If we sign Darren Bent or Diego Forlan or ANY player of that standard I will go insane. More averageness is it? Thanks americans for absolutely nothing.

And as someone said hicks/gillet team in america finished 19th in the NHL. And then they spout their ****e to us about plans and not spending money like a drunk.

Im already fearing the worst, theres too much talk of bad things at the moment. No money and diego forlan. I will have trouble sleeping at the thought of that.:o

way to just grab a portion of a sentence that completely changes my point when out of context.

It followed a sentence saying we need a good quality striker to come in to play WITH those 3, and also that those 3 are decent IF we vastly improve the attacking players playing around them.

To spell it out, Kuyt with another good striker, and a pair of talented, top class new wingers is a very good player and finisher. Crouch with another good striker and 2 top class wingers is a very good player. Voronin also is being very harshly judged IMO, he's better then people re giving him credit for. Very decent quality for 4th choice.

To say it again so it actually gets read (at the risk of serious repitition) I honestly do think those 3 will be good WITH the addition of 2 wingers and a good striker.

Also have you any quotes from either Rafa, Hicks or Gillett saying money won't be available? The closest to that has been Gillett saying money will be available but not spent ridiculously. Im fine with that. Especially with over 2 weeks till pre-season even starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?HLID=471816&CPID=23&title=Real+move+for+Dudek&lid=&channel=Premiership&f=rss&clid=186

Wasn't happy sitting on the bench at Anfield so not sure he'd be happy to do the same at Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Parry confirms that Liverpool are in for Benayoun but not for 1m pounds. Great, this is the extra quality that we need :rolleyes:

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/liverpoolecho/liverpoolfc/news/tm_headline=reds-confirm-bid-for-israel-star-benayoun%26method=full%26objectid=19295992%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Anyone notices a pattern with alot of the players that Rafa signs or is interested in ?

Kuyt, Simao, Lucas, Benayoun - all captains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think Benayoun is a decent player and would improve the squad. I think if we got him for about £4M it would be a great piece of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It's a good thing in my opinion. We need more leaders in the squad, can't be constantly looking to Gerrard to inspire a win. I'd take Benayoun as a squad player, he can be quite decent. Just so long as he's not expected to be 1st choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Our transfer dealings having been awful for a long time, I don't have much faith in Rick Parry, he always seems to take an extended holiday when we need to be involved in getting top class players.

It's hard as an outsider to know where the problems lie, but there are problems..,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Tusky wrote:
    Parry confirms that Liverpool are in for Benayoun but not for 1m pounds. Great, this is the extra quality that we need :rolleyes:

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/liverpoolecho/liverpoolfc/news/tm_headline=reds-confirm-bid-for-israel-star-benayoun%26method=full%26objectid=19295992%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Anyone notices a pattern with alot of the players that Rafa signs or is interested in ?

Kuyt, Simao, Lucas, Benayoun - all captains.

A swap deal involving bellamy and say £6 million (to liverpool) would be a good deal here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

This is realy annoying. I mean Malouda, Mancini, Simao they're all great players but Benayoun? He pales in comparison to them.

I'm a sad panda.

Slurms wrote:
    This is realy annoying. I mean Malouda, Mancini, Simao they're all great players but Benayoun? He pales in comparison to them.

I'm a sad panda.

He's not a bad player but certainly wouldn't be top of any of ours lists - but we're not Rafa. He's arguably similar-ish to Garcia so let's say if he was to replace Garcia who was going in a part exchange for say Torres would you be happy ? Or if we got him + a few million for Bellamy ?

Relax and see what unfolds over the next few weeks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Benayoun is a world class player when a team are dominating. For example, if a team is 2-0 up, I think Benayoun would probably get you at least another goal, maybe two. For the reason, he's a useful addition to any squad. That said, he isn't much better than Pennant, so I wouldn't really see the point in his signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

If we want to be competing on all fronts as Rafa says then we need to have a strong squad. I think benayoun adds strength. However he wouldn't be my 1st choice

If we have plenty of cash, signing someone for a position were we have Gerrard, Pennant & Garcia is fine but if we are low on cash It would annoy me. Why not put the 4m or whatever it is that he will cost towards a leftwinger/striker. We dont need anymore squad players, we have plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

We were in for Yossi before, I'd say this is just some rumourmilling, possibly putting pressure on our other targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

This could be a replacement for Zenden. Would we not be better off going for Defoe as one of our strikers. Wont need time to settle to the premiership and hes stats are well decent:
    Appearances: 29(20)
    Goals: 18
    Minutes on Pitch: 2806

http://www.4thegame.com/club/tottenham-hotspur-fc/player-profile/1568/jermaindefoe.html
    Edit: More reliable stats from BBC.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/bsp/hi/football/statistics/players/d/defoe_193388.stm

This could be a replacement for Zenden. Would we not be better off going for Defoe as one of our strikers. Wont need time to settle to the premiership and hes stats are well decent:
    Appearances: 29(20)
    Goals: 18
    Minutes on Pitch: 2806

http://www.4thegame.com/club/tottenham-hotspur-fc/player-profile/1568/jermaindefoe.html

Why settle for Spurs 3rd choice striker ?

Our fixtures are out. we start off away to Villa, then would have west ham, but its postponed already for champs league qualifier midweek then the next saturday we have Chelsea at home! We really better hit the ground running or serious points to be lost early on.

Christmas run games are all pretty winnable which is a big boost; Pompy, Derby, Man City, Wigan.

Not too many really tough runs, though we do have Man U, Everton and Arsenal in march/april in a row, all saturdays though so hopefully wont have champs league matches in between those 3 as well. Could see those arsenal and Man u games being huge.

The Run In is;
    Arsenal A, Blackburn H, Fulham A, Birmingham A, Man City H, Spurs A.
    Spurs and Arsenal away will be tough.

Tusky wrote:
    Why settle for Spurs 3rd choice striker ?

Its maybe all we can get if we have to spend on wingers, again.

Its maybe all we can get if we have to spend on wingers, again.

I personally think a striker should come before wingers. We only need one winger.

Kewell/Leto/Garcia---Mascherano/Lucas---Alonso/Sissoko---Gerrard/Pennant/Garcia

I think Gerrard will spend most of the season on the right againt and as Leto is unproven & Kewell/Garcia is unreliable I think we should sign a left winger, or preferabley a winger that can play on both wings. I just cant see where & when Benjahum is going to play.

I just wish we would spend all of our transfer money through sales and whatever we are given by the Americans on one winger & one striker. Theres rumours going around that Ben is being brought in to replace Garcia who will be sold to A.Madrid in a deal to see Torres coming here. A.Madrid seem to be about to sign Recoba from Inter Milan also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Tusky wrote:
    Theres rumours going around that Ben is being brought in to replace Garcia who will be sold to A.Madrid in a deal to see Torres coming here. A.Madrid seem to be about to sign Recoba from Inter Milan also.

Interesting, we'll see once La Liga finishes, maybe we can nab Martin Petrov as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

The-Rigger wrote:
    It's hard as an outsider to know where the problems lie, but there are problems..,

Thats for sure. Although there is no offical statement or anything it seems that their definitely something wrong behind the scenes.

Yossi Benyahoun is yet again another GOOD BUT NOT GREAT player. Ok if hes in to replace Garcia but if not...? Isnt Ben more behind the forwards where as garcia can play on the wings and in behind.

Id nearly prefer Benitez spend his budget on one winger and one striker and if thats too much, spend it on one top quality striker. You can leave your Darren Bents and Forlans for their 17 millions. Go buy the quality we need for 30 million.

Who knows Kewell could have a good season ahead as could pennant.

If money is so tight, what exactly was the point of this takeover?
    It seems so long ago now when they were saying "this is exactly what liverpool need to be competing with the top clubs". I dont see us competing :(

Its still early its still early ( il have to keep repeating this to myself )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

PHB wrote:
    I think Benayoun is a world class player when a team are dominating. For example, if a team is 2-0 up, I think Benayoun would probably get you at least another goal, maybe two. For the reason, he's a useful addition to any squad. That said, he isn't much better than Pennant, so I wouldn't really see the point in his signing.

lol PHB you say Benayoun is world class, but that he isnt much better then Pennant, just wondering if your calling Pennant a world class player?

kettle calling the pot black as they say. Personally i dont think Benayoun is good enough for liverpool, they should be setting there heights higher in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

We don't need Benayoun. Already have Garcia doing much the same job as an attacking midfielder (and he's better too ;))

Would prefer Benitez to concentrate all his energies on gettting an out-an-out left winger like Gamst Pedersen or Malouda and a striker obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Benayoun has been linked with the club for a long long time now and I personally think he would be a worthwhile addition to the squad. Zenden leaving is going to require replacing and Benayoun is a far better player IMO.

As for comparisons with Garcia, who cares.. I have a feeling Luis could be going as part of a transfer.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote:
    If money is so tight, what exactly was the point of this takeover?
    It seems so long ago now when they were saying "this is exactly what liverpool need to be competing with the top clubs". I dont see us competing :(

Is everybody in this thread incapable of taking a chill pill and having some perspective.

What was the point of the takeover? How about a 300 odd million sterling stadium and the removal of about 60 million in debt? Is that a good enough reason?

If we are to get Benayoun, id be happy enough. It all comes down to money really at the end of the day. If we can afford 2 top class players and an "other", then as an extra Benayoun is a great purchase. he's already adapted very well to the prem and is a steal at 3-4mill. He's not at the level we'd like, but if it allows us to really splash out on another winger and a striker id welcome him with open arms. I don't think Rafa is randomly trying to get players, i think he has a general overall plan, which is backed up by Gilett's statements so we should be quite happy to wait and see how things pan out over the next 3 weeks.

On a side note, i hope the Pool are taking note of the out of favour strikers that could really be a solid addition such as Adriano, Cassano, Saviola and Makaay. Makaay is about 32 now though, but the other 3 could be valuable additions for lower money.

With Bent personally rejecting a move to the Hammers, we pretty much know he's holding out for a bigger club..could we be it? Spurs seem to be very interested as well. Charlton accepted a bid of 16mill so we know we can get him for that or even a bit less anyway. Theres something about him that makes me say its too much, but having said that he's powerful, tall, fast and scores goals in the premiership - what more can we ask for? I think its just the taste for the exotic that makes us call for someone from another league maybe or something..

I would like to sign Bent to be honest. I feel that he would pair off nicely with what we have already and would replace Bellamy. He has done it 2 seasons running now in a relatively poor team - what more proof do you need.

Knowing the way the English national team works, it wouldn't surprise me if it put him in line for an England place ahead of Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I can understand what you are saying (jesus is gre) but is he really worth 16 mill?

Hmmm I could justify it to be honest. Would prefer to spend 16mil on him instead of a 25mil on a talent that is unproven in the PL like Torres.

• Advertisement

Torres may be unproven in the pm but so was henry. el nino would suit liverpool very well imho and i would love to see him in the red shirt

If bent is goin anywhere it is goin to be spurs i feel

Benayoun has been linked with the club for a long long time now and I personally think he would be a worthwhile addition to the squad. Zenden leaving is going to require replacing and Benayoun is a far better player IMO.

As for comparisons with Garcia, who cares.. I have a feeling Luis could be going as part of a transfer.

Zenden was mainly used as cover for the centre which we dont need need anymore. When he played on the left it was down to injuries to Aurelio & Kewell. Kewell and Aurelio will be back from injury and we are fine in CM. We dont need to replace Zenden! I dont want to get too annoyed as its still early but from the very start Ive been saying that I didnt think the squad needed much chopping and changing, I wanted Benetiz to bring in 2 world class players. Around 20m could be raised from transfers and the add to that the transfer budget and it should cover two top signings. I cant argue with Lucas but with Leto, Veronin & now Benayoun looking to be signed before we have even signed any of our main targets it looks like another summer of big changes to the squad.

swalsh wrote:
    I can understand what you are saying (jesus is gre) but is he really worth 16 mill?

A player is only worth what people are willing to pay for him. And in this case yes that price is probably over inflated a bit but then he's a) English and b) the highest scoring englishman in the prem in 05/06 and second highest in 06/07.

Very undecided on him - he is at least proven in the premiership and is only 23 so still has a lot to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

zing wrote:
    A player is only worth what people are willing to pay for him. And in this case yes that price is probably over inflated a bit but then he's a) English and b) the highest scoring englishman in the prem in 05/06 and second highest in 06/07.

Very undecided on him - he is at least proven in the premiership and is only 23 so still has a lot to offer.

Defoe has a great scoring record too and altho a bit older would cost significantly less. It's all well and good managing to get a marquee name in (Torres, Etto, Villa) but it's a big gamble and may not pay off. I'd be happy with one of Bent, Owen or Defoe and bringing in two quality wingers for whatever they may cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Personally I'd rate YossiBen ahead of Pennant, Kewell, Gonzalez, Garcia and Zenden.

I like the rumour of Torres in and Garcia out as a makeweight!

But I fear we have Darren Bent in the bag. It doesnt make sense to me him choosing Spurs ahead of the Hammers, given his relationship with Curbs, the money the Hammers are spending and the fact that Spurs have a lot of competition for places in the forward-line. I could only see Bent turning down West Ham because Liverpool are in for him. The more I think about it, the more likely I think it is...

Maybe we'll get both Bent and Torres and offload both Crouch (to Newky) and Bellamy (to Blackburn or Villa or WHam)!

Bent only scored one goal last season in the 10 games against the big 5. With takeover from the Americans I was hoping Liverpool would aim higher. Would Bent get his game for Chelsea or Utd... or Barcelona, Real or Inter ? These are the teams we need to compete with in the transfer market, not West Ham.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

zing wrote:
    It doesn't cheer me up to realise I can't speak Spanish. I also really doubt that Eto'o will be coming to Anfield.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote:
    It doesn't cheer me up to realise I can't speak Spanish. I also really doubt that Eto'o will be coming to Anfield.

I'd be surprised if he did too but that's implying that he's defo leaving Barca and it's Milan, ourselves & an unnamed Spanish team in the running. Arsenal are still a possibility though. To me the key there is that it implies that we're still in the race and if so it gives great hope for possible signings over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i think Eto'o made it fairly clear that he is not leaving the Nou camp.

If he did leave, i thinnk Liverpool would have a very good chance of signing him BUT his statement the other day was an example for Henry etc of how to end speculation about their future.

Here's a translation from one of the guys on RAWK
    Samuel Eto'o seems to be getting to grips with the fact that he won't be playing for Barcelona next season. Frank Rijkaard has won the struggle and what a few weeks ago seemed mere specualation, now looks like it's turning into reality. Remarks out of place, too much moaning, and confrontations with teammates seem to have tipped the scales in spite of Eto'o's goals and hard work, who is now prepared to pack his bags and decide where to play in the coming seasons.

Many clubs are interested in his services, but few can afford him. Milan, Liverpool and a Spanish club seem to have gone for broke, even Arsenal may have a chance, a club that sounded him out a couple of weeks ago.
    At San Siro Eto'o would join a veteran team and would meet up with Kaka, the star of the team to defend the European crown, won in May against Liverpool. And curious enough Benitez's club dream of getting the player too. The Madrileno manager has already spoken with Eto'o who would become the flag ship of his fourth season at the helm of the Anfield outfit.
    And if this wasn't enough another Spanish club seem to be tracking the Camerun player. Valencia? Real Madrid? It seems that he doesn't want to disclose anything. Whatever happens it is very unlikely that Eto'o will continue playing for Barcelona next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

the article goes on to say (i think!) that Barca could get Henry for €22m which would be decent - about 13/14 million pounds. it will be interesting - i'd put more faith in what AS say than the NotW and the Star etc.

Funny post on from another forum.
    Time to move on as Owen is past it. I mean what did he do 2001/02 - scored 19 league goals. So what thats history. How about 2002/03 - 19 league goals again...big feckin deal. 03/04 he did feck all - what? He scored only 16 leagu egoals...a loser. 04/05 he was shyte in the english league. He scored feck all....what? He banged in 13 goals out of 18 starts in La Liga. Give me a break as he failed completely and was shyte when he came back to England. You kidding me..he averaged a goal every 60 minutes for Newcastle before he got injured. Alright then tell me how many goal she has scored in the last 18 months....none. See ....what he scored a goal in his second game back for England. What are you telling me? He scores a goal every game & a half over his career...so what. For 9m I can get much better, like.......well I can get better. End of.

ha ha ha good post alright.

all the points it makes are fairly valid though! 6 million for Nugent - 9 for Owen, i know which i'd prefer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

yeh but how many games will he play - it;s no use saying oh he'll score every 1.5 games - but if he plays 12 games in a season becuase of injury he will score 8 goals -great 1.125 million per goal whup-de-do, excuse me while i get the champaign out.

he is too injury prone to rely on imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Regarding the Bent transfer the BBC reckon he will go to Spurs. Says this about us:
    BBC Sport understands Liverpool are admirers of Bent, but he is currently not their top striking target.
    Source

• Advertisement

Was he injured at all in his time at Real?
    The way Rafa would be rotating the strikers would probably suit him in that regard as the demands on him won't be as much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement