Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think a deal with Juventus for Huntelaar is all but finalised. He was being linked heavily with them a few weeks ago. Jaysus when you think about it Ajax will be a weakened team next year, no Huntelaar and no Sneijder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Stky10 wrote:
    Eh no.. He fell out with Van Basten during the world cup when Huntelaar wasn't in the squad. He has now been restored to the squad because of his good form with Real Madrid.

Good player though, but apparently he wants to spend another year with Ajax

He fell out with Van Basten cause Huntelaar took his place cause of his better work rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

woodyg wrote:
    He fell out with Van Basten cause Huntelaar took his place cause of his better work rate.
    Huntelaar didn't make the WC2006 squad though, Ruud was visibly upset at being subbed in there last game.

He was largely anonymous during the tournament as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

From RAWK forums. This guy is super reliable.
    News (or sorts) at last.

And or those who don't know him, sources don't get any more reliable than this guy...

Quote from: ShanksLegend on Today at 02:18:21 PM
    Just a little up date on this situation with the takeover and yes i know its the 19th June 2007, apparently the club is still to change hands ofiicially into the hands of Gillet and Hicks, the reason being is that they set a deadline of the 13th June for all existing shareholders and shareholders who were none contactable or refused to sell to get in touch with the club so that the remaining shares could be bought out from them by Kop Football.

Now the takeover will go on for another several weeks before the club is officially signed sealed and delivered to the yanks.

Also have heard we have agreed an 11 million pound fee with a club for a player, before people start asking i haven't a clue who it is and were he is from, my source knows but he won't tell me. The player is currently holidaying so obviously he has to agree to the move.

Please don't hassle me as i know no more then that, but if i hear anything i will post. EXCITED NOW

Who could it be ?

Malouda
    Simao
    Mancini
    Bent
    Forlan

Either way, expect an announcement soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

11million pound is about 15/16 million euro,so could it be Malouda/Simao.How good is this Malouda.A french journalist on newstalk said he was the 2nd best winger in europe behind C Ronaldo.

Either player would be good now,just not keen on Bent or Forlan

raven136 wrote:
    11million pound is about 15/16 million euro,so could it be Malouda/Simao.How good is this Malouda.A french journalist on newstalk said he was the 2nd best winger in europe behind C Ronaldo.

Either player would be good now,just not keen on Bent or Forlan

This is all I remember from seeing him play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zq_0U2OFZI

11 million I reckon it's either Mancini (who's apparently been valued at 10 million) or Simao. Lyon won't sell Malouda for less than 17million according to the Aulas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

ShanksLegend on RAWK did appear to know what was going on thoughout the stages of the proposed takeover by DIC and based on that I would take this latest update to be accurate. And it explains a lot about the lack of activity in the xfer market to date and also the stories about lack of funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

raven136 wrote:
    How good is this Malouda.
    Some of his goals.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnrIzf6z2sY

My moneys on Simao. Would be happy enough with that but would prefer Mancini or Malouda. It could also be Milito though...possibly ? I just hope its not Forlan or Bent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

zing wrote:
    ShanksLegend on RAWK did appear to know what was going on thoughout the stages of the proposed takeover by DIC and based on that I would take this latest update to be accurate. And it explains a lot about the lack of activity in the xfer market to date and also the stories about lack of funds.

Maybe, but I find this hard to believe. As they already own over 90% of the club (ie the point at which they force all outstanding shareholders to sell to them), I can't see how they don't already "own" it (the club) sufficiently to do as they please with it. And besides if this was an issue, they could still "loan" the club the necessary money. Remember last summer when Moores loaned the club the money to buy Kuyt?. Moores only owned approx 50% of the club at the time. So if it wasn't an issue then, it shouldn't be an issue now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My betting is that the player is already in the prem and is quite familair to us all. ;)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    My betting is that the player is already in the prem and is quite familair to us all. ;)

Mike.
    Pedersen? Defoe could be gotten for around that aswell.

I still hope it's Mancini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Swp...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Yay, first post in the LFC topic. Got access today. Anyway as far as the RAWK proposed signing, i'm thinking Malouda, I think that Mancini if he comes, will see Bellamy leave so its probably not him yet. Simao I would love to see. Not too keen on Forlan to be honest.

11 million sterling is too cheap for Malouda unless there's part-swap in progress.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

possibly right but that would depend on who they wanted of our lot?
    my money ( if its true) is either Simao, or at a push SWP. though can anyone really see Chelski selling him to us. That could haunt them if he had a terrific season next year.

I'm not too worried about the lack of signings so far. From reading the papers/web and the radio i think this will be a very busy summer for all the top European teams, with plenty of players floating around.

I'm not a Forlan fan alright, but mainly because I think he might do a Morientes, and not be so effective in the EPL compared with La Liga. Could see him making a move within Spain though, which might free up a target, Torres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I really want Torres, he should leave Athletico anyway, not even in the Uefa Cup, a player of his standard shouldnt be in a team like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

torres, the great white hype. wouldnt want any part of him in the premiership, especially at liverpool.

he needs too many touches, he's weak in possesion. i doubt he'll ever leave spain, and he'd be crazy to do so, the game would pass him by in the premiership, big time. oh...IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

el rabitos wrote:
    he needs too many touches

Wasn't it about three seasons ago that out of the 17 or so goals he scored, 13 of them were with his first touch? Can't be certain with the numbers, but I defo heard that somewhere.

And on the Malouda front, he looks pretty average to me (just from that youtube link). Mancini or Quaresma would be a much better buy I think.

uh oh
    Arsenal set to scupper Liverpool's Malouda bid
    By Jason Burt
    Published: 07 June 2007
    Arsenal are planning to hijack Liverpool's bid to sign Florent Malouda because the France international's move to Anfield has stalled over personal terms.

Talks are expected to take place as early as tomorrow over a €15m (£10.2m) move from the French champions Lyon to Arsenal. Malouda, who was on international duty with France last night as they played their European Championship qualifier against Georgia, is then set to take a week's holiday before deciding his future.

There is also interest in the 26-year-old from Spain and Italy although the likelihood is he will move to England. Liverpool's manager, Rafael Benitez, wanted to make Malouda the first of his major signings this summer and there is a growing frustration from the Spaniard that nothing has been secured. The longer the delay, according to sources close to the player, the greater the chance he may go elsewhere.

That warning has alerted Arsenal who have now stepped in to register their interest in the left-winger, who was a key member of the French side that reached last year's World Cup final. He was recently voted the players' player of the year in France after helping Lyon to their sixth consecutive league title and scoring 10 goals in 27 league starts.
    Chelsea set to sign Malouda

Chelsea are set to win the race to sign Lyon winger Florent Malouda, according to reports from French radio station RMC.

Malouda has been looking for a move all summer, and it was thought that Rafael Benitez and Liverpool were first in the queue for Malouda, who turned 27 last week.

However, it now seems that Jose Mourinho has got his man.

"To me the most important thing will be the desire shown by the club," Malouda said recently. "To move abroad, you really have to be wanted. I believe it will still need some time. But if the deal is good for Lyon, I believe they won't try to keep me."

Utility player Lassana Diarra looks set to move as part of the deal in the opposite direction, possibly on a loan basis

Diarra had been groomed as the natural successor to Claude Makelele, but the emergence of John Obi Mikel means first team opportunities could remain limited for the 22-year-old next season.

If he joins, Malouda will become the fourth new player at Stamford Bridge this summer, after Steve Sidwell, Tal Ben Haim and Peruvian striker Claudio Pizarro.

http://gb.setanta.com/portal/article/football::england?open&articleid=d646fca58196d722802572ff006392e5

Getting silly now.

Tusky wrote:
    uh oh

Getting silly now.
    Your first article is dated the 7th of June. Things have probably changed since. In fact in the last couple of days there's been no real talk about Malouda.

Slurms wrote:
    Your first article is dated the 7th of June. Things have probably changed since. In fact in the last couple of days there's been no real talk about Malouda.

Yeah I know. I was posting it to point out the sentence below...

Malouda, who was on international duty with France last night as they played their European Championship qualifier against Georgia, is then set to take a week's holiday before deciding his future.

Tusky wrote:
    Yeah I know. I was posting it to point out the sentence below...

Malouda, who was on international duty with France last night as they played their European Championship qualifier against Georgia, is then set to take a week's holiday before deciding his future.
    Whoops! Sorry, that'll teach me to read the post properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

looks like cisse will be going back to marseille on another loan.

this kinda crap irritates the life out of me when it comes to this club, why on earth would we loan a valuable player who could be sold for money to a team competing in the champions league. they should be made pay the cash they agreed to pay when they first got him on loan.

he's recovered from his injury, there were a number of other teams sniffing around, he could have been sold for money since rafa needs it, or he could have been used as a make-weight as part of another transfer. ribery? simao? malouda? new owners, same rubbish. i dont see his value increasing with another loan, and marseille are not exactly struggling for the cash right now.

another quizzical decision

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:
    looks like cisse will be going back to marseille on another loan.

this kinda crap irritates the life out of me when it comes to this club, why on earth would we loan a valuable player who could be sold for money to a team competing in the champions league. they should be made pay the cash they agreed to pay when they first got him on loan.

he's recovered from his injury, there were a number of other teams sniffing around, he could have been sold for money since rafa needs it, or he could have been used as a make-weight as part of another transfer. ribery? simao? malouda? new owners, same rubbish. i dont see his value increasing with another loan, and marseille are not exactly struggling for the cash right now.

another quizzical decision

Im sure Cisse could have been sold for 7 or 8 million. Hes a proven premiership striker (20 goals playing out of position for alot of the season 05/06)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Shamrok wrote:

wow that;s a shockingly bad compilation, as for the goals - average. although what i want to see is him running at defenders screw scoring....

its all about creativity, pace and the ability to skin a player for the wingers i dont care if he cant hit a barn door with a banjo in front of goal as long as he can hit the byline and knock in great crosses.

Call_me_al wrote:
    wow that;s a shockingly bad compilation, as for the goals - average. although what i want to see is him running at defenders screw scoring....

its all about creativity, pace and the ability to skin a player for the wingers i dont care if he cant hit a barn door with a banjo in front of goal as long as he can hit the byline and knock in great crosses.

Good thing you arent the Liverpool manager then. Liverpools biggest failing last year was a failure to score from the wings and the midfield in general. Our strikers, combined, scored in and around the same as the other top 3. It was in midfield that we paled in comparison in regards to goals scored. We had nothing coming from the left (apart from a couple of Gonzalez goals) and only one goal from Pennant.

Tusky wrote:
    Good thing you arent the Liverpool manager then. Liverpools biggest failing last year was a failure to score from the wings and the midfield in general. Our strikers, combined, scored in and around the same as the other top 3. It was in midfield that we paled in comparison in regards to goals scored. We had nothing coming from the left (apart from a couple of Gonzalez goals) and only one goal from Pennant.

yes but really the goals should be coming from our strikers and centre mids, look at the assists our wingers had last season. if we could have one striker competing for top goalscorer (~22 goals) another on about 15 and a third striker on 8, Gerrard & Lucas on 8 and maybe 4 from both wingers. kick in the 3 Rafa wants carra to score a season 2 from Finnan and 4 from Riise and maybe 2 from Agger. plus 5 from Alonso. thats what were looking for.

thats 83 goals and i would take that, it shouldnt be too hard for a player that can skin players all day to score 4. look a cisse, he cant finish his dinner at the best of times but still banged in a few.

• Advertisement

Slurms wrote:

much better! not making any comments on which player is better as i dont know either that well!

the goals where the keeper takes him down and where he back heels it from cassanos corner are fierce impressive. form what i have seen i wouldnt be disappointed if we signed him. seems lightening quick too.

Call_me_al wrote:
    yes but really the goals should be coming from our strikers and centre mids, look at the assists our wingers had last season. if we could have one striker competing for top goalscorer (~22 goals) another on about 15 and a third striker on 8, Gerrard & Lucas on 8 and maybe 4 from both wingers. kick in the 3 Rafa wants carra to score a season 2 from Finnan and 4 from Riise and maybe 2 from Agger. plus 5 from Alonso. thats what were looking for.

thats 83 goals and i would take that, it shouldnt be too hard for a player that can skin players all day to score 4. look a cisse, he cant finish his dinner at the best of times but still banged in a few.

What are you talking about ? I dont have the figures with me now but as I just said, Liverpool had equal to or more than the other top 3 teams goals from strikers combined. Both wingers should be chipping in with 5-7 goals each minimum. If Rafa continues to play Alonso & Mascherano in the middle, goals are not going to come from there. I think its important that we sign a more clinical striker, but I think its even more important that our midfield chip in considerably more than last season.

yes but i would prefer to see our wingers get 15 assists each and 5 goals rather than the other way round, but thats just me... i mean if we get a winger who can do both brilliant, but who want a winger who cant cross or skin a player but can bang in 15 goals, that sounds like a striker to me.

kuyt and crouch would have scored more goals last season if they had better supply from the wings. look at when auriellio started to settle and his crossing improved suddenly people were like 'oh, maybe crouch can head'...

just my opinion...

Mancini is the man. Never really knew much about him til I saw him in the Roma Lyon game. But the more I see of him the more I'm impressed. He's also Mr Versatile. He can play both wings and full back aswell. If he could play in goal I'm sure Rafa would be all over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Todays Rumours

Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse is in talks about spending another season on loan with Marseille. (The Sun)

If Cisse is not allowed to leave for another loan spell, Bolton are ready to move in for him. (Daily Mirror)

And Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o says he expects Henry to join him at the club next season. (The Times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

zabbo wrote:
    ............. (The Sun)
    Boo!!!!!! We dont want any of that in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not sure has this been posted but Guillem Balague on Revista last night made a reference to Fernando Torres' value "£25million plus Luis Garcia". He is one of the few pundits out there who has his finger on the button, so if true, this would be huge for Liverpool.

He also said that he wasn't talking about the Espanyol version!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

gimmick wrote:
    Not sure has this been posted but Guillem Balague on Revista last night made a reference to Fernando Torres' value "£25million plus Luis Garcia". He is one of the few pundits out there who has his finger on the button, so if true, this would be huge for Liverpool.

He also said that he wasn't talking about the Espanyol version!

If you ask me I'd say he has his finger anywhere but near the button. Can't remember the last time I heard him being right about something unless it had been common knowledge for the previous two weeks.

Ive also heard that it was said in jest aswell rather than an actual claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

More on Torres... http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=332509
    The big money signings that the new Liverpool owners have been promising might finally become a reality.

George Gillett had insisted on Monday evening that he was ready for Liverpool's "phase two": the signing of new players after securing key ones to improved contracts, and there have been definite movements.

They have been tracking Fernando Torres for a while, and have now stepped up their efforts.

The Reds are looking to make their mark this summer, and a team has travelled to Madrid, we can confirm.

The objective is to finalise the transfer of the Atleti skipper, and today itself if possible.

Torres, 23, has scored 14 goals in what has been a very moderate season, one in which the club have collectively struggled.

After having his buy-out clause reduced to 40 million euros last summer, he is now ready to make the jump to a bigger club.

An earlier bid (from another club) in the region of 30 million euros fell just short of expectations, and we believe that Liverpool will offer players as a part of the deal, in order to bring down the price. Luis Garcia - who played at Atletico Madrid before Barcelona - is supposedly the player who has been offered.

The midfielder had an absolutely stunning season at the Vicente Calderon in 2002-03, when he scored 9 goals in 30 games in addition to setting up many, and still has admirers at the club.

It is being seen by many as a trip similar to Carlos Quieroz's to Portugal, when Manchester United set the transfer marked on fire. At the very least, the objective is similar, to tell other clubs, and as much their own fans, that they mean business!

• Advertisement

Is goal.com reliable ? Fingers crossed its true. I rate Torres highly and think he would do well with better players around him & a steady strike partner. I could certainly live with Torres, Kuyt, Crouch & Veronin.

2005-2006 Atlético de Madrid 36 13
    2004-2005 Atlético de Madrid 38 16
    2003-2004 Atlético de Madrid 35 19
    2002-2003 Atlético de Madrid 29 13

To put it in perspective, he is currently paying for a team that lost 6-0 to Barcelona so I think his stats are pretty good. Didnt he get 4 or 5 goals in the world cup as well ?

Bah beaten to it. Is it reliable? proberly not.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I believe goal.com and Guillem Balague that negotiations are underway. Whether El Nino moves or not is another thing. It certainly would be a positive move, for a very talented player.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=torres-is-reds--number-one-target&method=full&objectid=19326444&siteid=50061-name_page.html

Torres is Reds' number one target

Jun 20 2007

EXCLUSIVE by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

Fernando Torres in action for Athletico Madrid

ATLETICO MADRID skipper Fernando Torres has become Liverpool’s top target.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez has made the 23-year-old striker his number one priority after learning that the Madrid club have finally agreed to part with their prize asset.

But with Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal all having been linked with the international striker in the past, the Reds are keen to tie up a deal quickly.

Capturing a player of Torres’ stature would appease both Benitez and Reds’ fans who are becoming impatient at the lack of activity in the transfer market since Benitez’s bleak Athens post-mortem.

Story continues Continue story
    ADVERTISEMENT

Torres could cost between £24m and £27m, the release figure believed to be in the player’s contract.

Atletico Madrid have steadfastly refused to sell Torres since he burst onto the scene as one of the most exciting 17-year-old’s in European football.

But a failure to qualify for next season’s UEFA Cup appears to have forced their hand.

Torres has scored 82 goals in 212 league appearances for Atletico, with 14 goals in 42 international appearances.

The Spanish striker was pictured in May, bizarrely appearing to show he already wears Liverpool’s heart on his sleeve.

During an Atletico match against Real Sociedad, Torres’ skipper’s armband came loose, revealing the Kop’s famous ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ slogan on the reverse.

While Torres could be an eagerly awaited new arrival, Marseille and Liverpool are close to agreeing a new loan deal for Djibril Cisse, according to French newspaper L'Equipe.

The French international spent last season at the Stade Velodrome and is happy to remain for a further season after Marseille qualified for the Champions League.

Bolton and Benfica have also been linked with a bid for Cisse, but it appears Marseille are set to reach an agreement with the Reds.

The deal is likely to include the option for Marseille to sign the 25-year-old front man for a pre-determined fee next summer.

Liverpool’s home match against Tottenham, originally scheduled for Saturday October 6, has now been put back to Sunday October 7 because of Spurs’ UEFA Cup involvement.

Meanwhile, internet reports suggesting Liverpool have submitted plans of the new Anfield to Liverpool City Council are inaccurate.

The Reds will unveil their plans to the public at the same time as they submit them, which is likely to be early July.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

this would make all the Yossi talk make sense as Garcia fills the spot in the squad where he would likely be used.

this would make all the Yossi talk make sense as Garcia fills the spot in the squad where he would likely be used.

Yeah, I actually posted that as a rumour a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tusky wrote:
    Is goal.com reliable ? Fingers crossed its true. I rate Torres highly and think he would do well with better players around him & a steady strike partner. I could certainly live with Torres, Kuyt, Crouch & Veronin.

2005-2006 Atlético de Madrid 36 13
    2004-2005 Atlético de Madrid 38 16
    2003-2004 Atlético de Madrid 35 19
    2002-2003 Atlético de Madrid 29 13

To put it in perspective, he is currently paying for a team that lost 6-0 to Barcelona so I think his stats are pretty good. Didnt he get 4 or 5 goals in the world cup as well ?

What do you think of Darren Bent's record?

31 goals in 68 PL appearances for Charlton over the past 2 seasons. A team that got beaten 4 - 0 by Arsenal, 5 - 1 by Tottenham, 3 - 1 by West Ham, 4 - 1 by Blackburn and generally appalling for most of last season.

What do you think of Darren Bent's record?

31 goals in 68 PL appearances for Charlton over the past 2 seasons. A team that got beaten 4 - 0 by Arsenal, 5 - 1 by Tottenham, 3 - 1 by West Ham, 4 - 1 by Blackburn and generally appalling for most of last season.

I think hes great for Charlton but I think he would struggle when playing for a team that puts 10 men behind the ball and defends. I dont think hes creative enough to unlock defences. Its a similiar situation to Bellamy, looked great for Newcastle & Blackburn but pretty average for Liverpool. I think Torres has bags more potential, ability & skill than Bent. I think hes an exciting, dangerous player and would have him over Bent any day.

Yeah but Torres is Spanish! ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement

someone here said Bent has one goal in ten apps versus the big 4 - not good enough and over priced.

also Reyes linked to Athletico - would be seen as a good replacement for Torres.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement