Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Crouch can go, for the right price. We should be paying less than £10M for Torres if Crouch is included.

Peter Crouch worth 17million?!? my ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

he's prolly worth 14mill max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Strong reliable rumour that torres is at anfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

from RAWK
    From Bulla de la Shi*tta:
    Torres Bango a Momo deala

Y Recreativo Toro del bamba la edorre Cisse, Torres e Di Nesta una puta e una cerveca por favor, ****a inde hedd.Los lobos Huelva Y Momo Sissoko swappa Torres comprende nada. Rafa una infuriato lunatico el stranglo Torres agenta dos le Rick Parry's hilarioso necq ornamento. Una arresta Rafa e Parry furious y Atletic. Madre Dios!!! Caramba!

Scorchio!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

rondeco wrote:
    Strong reliable rumour that torres is at anfield.

That's the type of player we want - even spends his few weeks holidays at Anfield :D:D

Two Spanish papers yesterday with full cover stories on Torres saying (with quotes from him) that he wants to stay at athletico. :(

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/mundo-img/20070624/24porat.jpg

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/mundo-img/20070625/25porat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mike65 wrote:
    from RAWK

Scorchio!

Mike.

what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I hope Torres stays in Madrid.Way too costly for an unproven product.Bent however is a proven goalscorer in the Priemership (for a weak team I might add) and will not break the bank.

• Advertisement

since when is 17 million not breaking the bank - thats damn expensive for a plyer like bent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

mike65 wrote:
    from RAWK

Scorchio!

Mike.
    Dios Mio! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

but rumours in Liverpool seem to be that torres will be announced tomorrow, supposedly he was in Anfield earlier today.... i know that sounds like nonsense, but we can hope :)

but rumours in Liverpool seem to be that torres will be announced tomorrow, supposedly he was in Anfield earlier today.... i know that sounds like nonsense, but we can hope :)

Like Henry was there a couple of weeks back.. Reckon the deal is close enough but not in the bag just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

we can hope it is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Pure silly season.. now reduced fee due to lack of a european place etc etc

http://www.anfieldroad.com/news/latest/2007106/a34295828b.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Peter Crouch worth 17million?!? my ass

LOL , in a week that Henry was sold for £16 million I can't see them queuing up to pay £17 million for crouch but it is crazy season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Well if Owen Hargreaves is worth... etc etc.

I reckon Rafa and the new owners have pulled the biggest footballing con ever by convincing the world that they were having serious issues. Hopefully this week will see the fruits of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I reckon Rafa and the new owners have pulled the biggest footballing con ever by convincing the world that they were having serious issues.

Why would they do that?

zabbo wrote:
    to lower transfer fee's.

How? Surely everything Rafa has done has only pushed up transfer fees, coming out and saying that they needed signings done quickly, demanding that major investment was needed, and then once it was granted, whenever they went to a club, the club would know they had the money to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

PHB wrote:
    Why would they do that?
    to lower transfer fee's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

PHB wrote:
    How? Surely everything Rafa has done has only pushed up transfer fees, coming out and saying that they needed signings done quickly, demanding that major investment was needed, and then once it was granted, whenever they went to a club, the club would know they had the money to spend.

But all the papers started speculating that there was hardly any money available and that that was why Rafa was unhappy. I'm not even nearly implying they did it on purpose or anything, but it certainly lowered people's ideas of what kinda money the club had. look back through this thread if you dont believe me

presuming because it would keep prices down for players that Rafa had targeted???

ie.

rafa : i am delighted with the money the americans have given me to spend.

Athletico Madrid/Westham/Sevilla/insert watever club: lets squeeze this fella for every penny, he is rolling in it!

as opposed to :

Rafa : Silence mainly.
    Papers : Rafa freaked about budget restrictions!

Insert watever club : well if we genuinely wanna do business, we may as well just get on wit it. eg. Torres wants to go to liverpool - so lets discuss with them as opposed to trying to rob them

But i could be wrong. and as i said, i'm not convinced thats what they are doing.

I'm not even nearly implying they did it on purpose or anything, but it certainly lowered people's ideas of what kinda money the club had.

But if it's all fixed now, surely that means the money is there again? I'm not talking from the position of fans, but from the position of clubs.
    But i could be wrong. and as i said, i'm not convinced thats what they are doing.

Fair enough, but this was only after Rafa had initially talked about the desperate need for quick transfers, and the owners obviously leaked plans for spending in order to sate the fans about the nature of the takeover. Maybe this is an attempt to pull it back a little, but surely the damage is done?

• Advertisement

More rumors (I'll believe it when I see it) that a deal worth 21.6m pounds has been agreed with an 18% sell on fee going to A.Madrid if Liverpool sell the player on. I don't know what to believe anymore.

lots of rumours floating around with details of the deal.

I'll believe when I see it as well, but something is going on ?

wat Rafa said after the champions league final was all emotion, supposedly he was up all night walking the streets of athens and was probably just wrecked and depressed. rafa isn't stupid enough to rush into spending major amounts on players who are unproven at the highest level just for the sake of it.

Think the Torres deal will be done. And i think Malouda/Mancini may follow.

Figures quoted for Torres aren't that high for an attacking young player who has impressed at club and international level for quite a while. Look at prices paid by the two clubs Liverpool aim to compete with- Nani, Drogba, Wright Phillips, Anderson, Hargreaves. Torres may or may not work out, but it'd be good to see Liverpool signing a genuine world class talent.

I know fans aren't into it, but torres is a marketing dream too - isn't he refered to as the Spanish Beckham or something?! So would fit into the ideas the americans would have about increasing Liverpools image/exposure worldwide.

wat Rafa said after the champions league final was all emotion, supposedly he was up all night walking the streets of athens and was probably just wrecked and depressed. rafa isn't stupid enough to rush into spending major amounts on players who are unproven at the highest level just for the sake of it.

Think the Torres deal will be done. And i think Malouda/Mancini may follow.

Figures quoted for Torres aren't that high for an attacking young player who has impressed at club and international level for quite a while. Look at prices paid by the two clubs Liverpool aim to compete with- Nani, Drogba, Wright Phillips, Anderson, Hargreaves. Torres may or may not work out, but it'd be good to see Liverpool signing a genuine world class talent.

I know fans aren't into it, but torres is a marketing dream too - isn't he refered to as the Spanish Beckham or something?! So would fit into the ideas the americans would have about increasing Liverpools image/exposure worldwide.

Totally agree. Over 80 goals in just over 200 games for a 23 year old is a v.good record. How many had Henry, Drogba or Villa scored at that age ? Also hes been captain of his team since he was 19 and was the youngest player ever to play for them. Add to that the fact that he has over 42 caps at international level (a fair few more than Villa) and scored 10 goals in 13 world cup games. I dont think he is over priced when compared to other transfers. Hes tall, strong and fast and although his finishing isn't the most consistent, a club like Liverpool can only improve him. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Plus he looks great doing it.
    My view on it is, Fernando Torres will not stay at a club not in Europe, and with all the recent media speculation, I think LFC would be the first club he would choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Imaging Torres and then Mancini. That'd be an incredible summer of signings. I'd say we might be in with a shot (depending if they settle or not)

But still I won't get my hopes up until I read the deal is done from Bascombe or on the official site.

still waiting Mr Torres . . . . . . . !

Couple of Spanish journalists writing reports basically saying goodbye to Torres and saying that the deal is done but A.Madrid don't know how to tell the fans. Sounds like BS to me.

Tusky wrote:
    ...but A.Madrid don't know how to tell the fans. Sounds like BS to me.

That would presumably only be an issue if a fee less than the release clause has been agreed. If it was bang on the release clause then both club & supporters know the story so it would be easy for the club to hold up their hands and say there was nothing they could do (other than offer reassurances/new contract).

Liverpool's record £25m bid for Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres is being held up by the striker's £2.5m pay-off clause. (The Sun)

pfft thats reliable.

zabbo wrote:
    Liverpool's record £25m bid for Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres is being held up by the striker's £2.5m pay-off clause. (The Sun)

pfft thats reliable.

Ive read that on a few sites. Apperantly Torres is entitled to 10% of the transfer and A.Madrid want Liverpool to pay it. If it is true, surely it has to come out of the agreed transfer ammount ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

zabbo wrote:

pfft thats reliable.
    Yeah, totally made-up, but could well be true.

It is a tricky one when a club accept an offer only because of a clause in a contract, i.e. they don't want to accept the offer but they have to, so the actual decision is down to the player and you could argue by accepting he's effectively asking to be transferred and therefore is not due his 10% cut.

The same happened with Joey Barton, and in that case Man City refused to give him the pay-off but eventually Newcastle agreed to pay the same amount to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Benitez own agent is personally brokering the deal and does the 25m include cisse or garcia or are they extra?

Personally i think Torres would be great for us,scored goals in a decent team but will be surrounded by much better players and would hopefully suit the premiership

same story but it seems a little more real now that the beeb are reporting it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6239286.stm
    Liverpool's hopes of landing top target Fernando Torres hang in the balance as talks continue with Atletico Madrid over the £27m-rated striker.

Atletico president Enrique Cerezo says Liverpool have not tabled a bid for the 23-year-old Spain striker.

But BBC Sport understands discussions between the clubs are ongoing and have now reached a crucial stage.

Atletico are reluctant to sell, but Torres is believed to be keen to link up with Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez.

Liverpool are reluctant to pay the £27m release clause in Torres' contract, and Benitez does not want to part with midfield man Luis Garcia, who is reported to be interesting Atletico.

Benitez wants to land Torres to provide a spearhead for an assault on the title - and also allow new owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks to demonstrate their own financial commitment to his plans.

Torres has been consistently linked with a move to England, particularly with Arsenal and Chelsea, but Liverpool are now at the head of the queue.

If he signs, he will join fellow countrymen Garcia, Pepe Reina and Xabi Alonso, as well as boss Benitez.

Atletico had earlier played down Liverpool's interest, with president Cerezo saying: "We've had no offer from Liverpool for Torres. He's on his holiday and resting.

"I repeat that there has been nothing about Torres from any team. We're now working to create a good team for the coming year."

Torres, 23, scored 14 league goals in 36 starts this season as Atletico finished seventh in La Liga.

The Spanish international's Atletico contract runs until 2009.

Torres came up though the youth ranks at Atletico and has been their leading scorer in each of the last five seasons.

Seems like negotiations are at a very advanced stage. Hopefully the deal will be closed v.soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would certainly be the most expensive ever sigining and probably one of the most lucrative as I would say shirt sales will go through the roof if we did get him.

Fingers crossed and all that..

Would certainly be the most expensive ever sigining and probably one of the most lucrative as I would say shirt sales will go through the roof if we did get him.

Fingers crossed and all that..

Almost double our most expensive. Cisse was 14m wasnt he ? Its about time too. For a team thats expected to do well in the premier league & european cup we arent even nearly in the top 30 for most expensive signings. Was looking at a list of the top 30 the other day and number 30 was something like 20m.

Hopefully we'll get the confirmation today, but who knows.

In fairness Barton was looking for about 400k, Torres is looking at around 2.5 - 3Million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

For once with Liverpool I would just like to wake up one morning and a deal be done. I hate these long drawn out sagas we tend to have.

Just saw a post on another forum saying...

"I hope we sign Torres so that we will finally be good in Pro Evo!" Made me chukkle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Tusky wrote:

"I hope we sign Torres so that we will finally be good in Pro Evo!" Made me chukkle.
    The tought had already crossed my mind...

:eek:

i wanna be able to put em in my football manager team and not have to stump up 40m for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tusky wrote:

be nothin compared to Barca!!

Trilla wrote:
    be nothin compared to Barca!!

I will be v.keen to see how Barca's foward line works next year.

Henry
    Eto'o
    Ronaldiniho
    Messi
    Saviola
    Gudjonson

I'm sure the last two will be sold. I dont think Henry AND Eto'o are needed though. Seems like overkill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Xavi-Toure
    Messi - Ronahldinho - Henry
    Eto'o

Is Saviola out of contract? If so, wages & fees depending, I'd take him at Liverpool!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement