Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Saviola is gone. He's now a free agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Saviola is gone. He's now a free agent.
    Snap that ****er up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Tusky wrote:
    Just saw a post on another forum saying...

"I hope we sign Torres so that we will finally be good in Pro Evo!" Made me chukkle.
    Yeah no waiting through two seasons of Master League to sign him. I've always bought him first in Master League and has been my top scorer, interestingly enough I also bought Saviola.

I agree with a previous thread, would love to wake to see a Liverpool deal done. Rafa said he hoped for a signing before pre season training which is tomorrow am I right?
    Saw on SS1 that Pool will be televised on Sky Sports in the Asian Cup, anyone know any more details?

I don't like Saviola. He seems way too small to be a success in the Premiership and he's a bit of a moanbag aswell.

It's kinda sad we're talking about Pro Evo rather than actual signings. Come on Gilette let's start flashing the cash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i personally dont think it is gillet at this stage i mean for 2.5m (10%) extra why bother - imo it is benitez trying to lay down the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Torres deal to be announced along with the new stadium plans. (along with one other signing) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

evil_seed wrote:
    Torres deal to be announced along with the new stadium plans. (along with one other signing) ;)

any source for this or anything?

evil_seed wrote:

and when would this be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

evil_seed wrote:

Are you talking bull**** ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

ON a different note does anyone know how much the new deal with carlsberg is worth?

• Advertisement

emc2 wrote:
    ON a different note does anyone know how much the new deal with carlsberg is worth?

They are paying Parry in installments of Jelly Beans over the next 3 years. They give him a new riddle to solve each month and if he gets the answer he even gets to pick the colors of the jelly beans!

Hes pretty excited about the whole thing.

How are our sponsorship deals the lowest of the top 5..lower than Spurs ? Doesnt make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Tusky wrote:
    Are you talking bull**** ?

Hopefully there is some credible source behind this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Here's what liverpoolfc.tv has to say:

Carlsberg has extended its partnership with Liverpool FC as Official Club Sponsor for a further three years to the end of the 2009/10 season.
    Carlsberg has been the Main Club Sponsor of Liverpool since 1992, the longest club partnership in The Premiership.

"The Carlsberg and Liverpool partnership is one of the longest and most successful in football, based on trust and mutual respect," said Rick Parry, Chief Executive, Liverpool FC.

"We share a commitment to excellence in our respective fields and we look forward to building an even stronger relationship as we move forwards."

Keld Strudahl, International Marketing Director, Carlsberg, said: "Carlsberg is very determined to support Liverpool in its ambition of continuous improving the team.

"We hope to see an even stronger performance and hopefully some more trophies in the next three years. Carlsberg's continued involvement with the club enables us to jointly build on our relationships with the international fan community.

"Also, we have great respect for Liverpool FC's new owners and are looking forward to continue our good relationship with the club and further add to the strong bond that has developed with the club, players, staff and fans over the years."

The new agreement will allow the continuation of joint marketing initiatives for the mutual benefit of the club and community, as well as to utilise the partnership internationally. As Official Club Sponsor, Carlsberg receives a significant rights package ensuring a global reach including the Far East, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe markets, as well as the core markets of Western Europe.

Tusky wrote:
    They are paying Parry in installments of Jelly Beans over the next 3 years. They give him a new riddle to solve each month and if he gets the answer he even gets to pick the colors of the jelly beans!

Hes pretty excited about the whole thing.

How are our sponsorship deals the lowest of the top 5..lower than Spurs ? Doesnt make sense.

how do we know this? i know it was low last time but we are in a much better negotiating position this time and taking into account the deals brokered from other clubs in the past with and the increased viewer numbers should mean a much better deal this time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

probably has something to do with no longer being able to sell replica jerseys with alcohol advertising on them from January (i think/may be later)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

The anticipated Torres transfer is beginning to do my nut in now! I haven't been like this since before Cissé and Morientes signed*!!!!!!

*and look how they turned out

probably has something to do with no longer being able to sell replica jerseys with alcohol advertising on them from January (i think/may be later)

sorry what does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i believe only kids size replica jersey's cant have alcohol promotion on them,not too sure though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Call_me_al wrote:
    sorry what does?

the sponsorship deal would be affected by this although raven136 may be right an it might only affect kids replica jerseys.

but we dont know what the sponsor deal is... so we shouldnt assume anything. they need us more than we need them.

anyway i think you're right when you say it is only kids replicas

• Advertisement

And I also think it effects selling the jerseys in Asian countries.

athletico fans have staged a protest about the torres transfer - why do i have a feeling this will be another Simao deal and fall through at the last moment beciase of the fans...

Call_me_al wrote:
    athletico fans have staged a protest about the torres transfer - why do i have a feeling this will be another Simao deal and fall through at the last moment beciase of the fans...

Thats good news. It means something is actually happening and its not just speculation. I think if it comes down to it, Liverpool will over the extra couple of million and activate his release clause. If reports are to be believed, he wants to play for us.

He has come out a number of times and said that he wants to play in Europe. He is not going to get that at A.Madrid and he knows it.

the bbc are reporting that the deal is so very close now and only the qopercent issue is holding it back.worrying that the fans have protested

football365 say this could delay the deal till 9th of july when torres gets back form holliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

Just wanted to say, thanks for all the updates lads, in work and can't check anything but boards so I really appreciate the effort you guys make in posting the news here, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Supposedly chelsea have made a bid for 12 million for Malouda.

If rafa wants him, i guess now we'll find out if the americans have money to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

lets hope for no 11th hour cockup.

Who's doing the negotiation on this, someone mentioned Rafa has a man on the job ?

apparently Rafa's agent according to a previous post here.

• Advertisement

I thought Rick Parry negotiated our deals (or lack of)

Seems like Rafa doesn't want this going the way of every other deal i.e falls through or we pay inflated price.

think poor auld ricks days are numbered.

fans dont want him - manager doesnt want him.

soon as that american fella gets his work permit i'd imagine he'll be out the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

From football365
    Atletico Madrid have given their clearest indication that Fernando Torres could leave the club and that Diego Forlan could be his replacement.

With Liverpool said to have made their interest in the highly-rated striker known, the Spanish club are now playing a waiting game.

Atletico official Miguel Angel Gil Marin admitted he was aware of The Reds' desire to sign Torres and said that one of his jobs this summer could be to look for a replacement.

"Nobody is essential," Gil Marin told Punto Radio.

"We are trying to build a team to compete and it is not about any one player and, good though he is, we want a squad that achieves its ambitions.

"Atletico is creating a side that is not all about Torres, but about the team itself.

"I would love Fernando to stay, but it is Fernando himself who will decide his future.

"We have talked to him and told him that he is in our plans. It is normal that he has doubts.

"It is also normal that there are offers that has caused him to stop and think.

"Things in football can change at any time and, although I do not see anything happening yet, I have to continue to work on looking for alternatives in case all this talk becomes a reality."

Despite all the rumours, Gil Marin holds out hope that Torres will reject Liverpool's overtures and commit himself to the club where he came through the youth ranks.

However, the approach to sign Forlan from Villarreal will continue even if Torres stays, according to Gil Martin.

"The deal that we are trying to do for Forlan is to give Fernando a partner in attack, but it may also be to use him as his replacement," Gil Marin said.

"Torres knows that he is wanted at Atletico and, as far as I know, he wants to stay."

After a meeting with his club and agent, it is believed that Forlan has decided to snub potential interest from the Premier League to remain in Spain.

Aston Villa and Sunderland have both been linked with the former Manchester United forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We've signed another keeper Nikolay Mihaylov from Levski Sofia.

Sauce

Mike.

Thats the keeper who didn't look too clever against Bremen in the CL :(

Wasn't he subbed at half time, absolute howler of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Only 18 though so another one for the future.

• Advertisement

I think we also got a young Danish keeper for 750k as well ? ? ?

In other news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6244904.stm
    Former Ajax player Piet Hamberg is set to take over as academy technical director at Liverpool.

Hamberg, who leaves Grasshoppers of Zurich to take up the post, replaces Steve Heighway, who left the club in April after 18 years in charge.

Reds boss Rafael Benitez said: "We have had very good reports about Piet and he brings great experience to the role.

"Our youngsters can only benefit from working with someone with his background in youth development."

Chief executive Rick Parry added: "Following the departure of Steve we took the opportunity to review the academy structure and decided to separate the very distinct roles.

"Piet will come in with the specific brief to head up the coaching and development side, while Malcolm Elias will be in charge of all recruitment."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

zabbo wrote:
    Thats the keeper who didn't look too clever against Bremen in the CL :(

Wasn't he subbed at half time, absolute howler of a game.

lol, nice one rafa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

zabbo wrote:
    I think we also got a young Danish keeper for 750k as well ? ? ?

Hans Christian Anderson?. Nah.. I think that was just a joke. Next up.. Ulick McGee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Y with all the keepers? Seriously, I'm baffeld as to why we keep signing keepers.

Stky10 wrote:
    Hans Christian Anderson?. Nah.. I think that was just a joke. Next up.. Ulick McGee
    :) or Enda McHugh ;)

Lets hope tomorrow we'll have Torres in the bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Stekelly wrote:
    Y with all the keepers? Seriously, I'm baffeld as to why we keep signing keepers.

aye, goalkeepers and defencive midfielders

half expect to flick on sky sports to see a liverpool fc press conferance with rafa unveiling the clubs first signing of the season, a double decker bus

"always our idea is to put petrol in the bus, and to park the bus in front of the goal and to have possibilitys"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well they had to do something with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fCf8RAco4o

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano has pleaded with Argentine international team-mate Carlos Tevez to join him at Anfield. (Daily Star)

Supporters of Atletico Madrid have staged a demonstration in the streets of the Spanish capital to protest about the possible sale of striker Fernando Torres to Liverpool. (Various)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Atletico agree a EUR 30m deal Forlan and Riquelme which will hopefully ease the exit of Torres and might go some ways to helping keep their supporters happy.

http://www.as.com/articulo/futbol/Atletico/ata/Forlan/Riquelme/millones/dasftb/20070628dasdaiftb_30/Tes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

zing wrote:
    Atletico agree a EUR 30m deal Forlan and Riquelme which will hopefully ease the exit of Torres and might go some ways to helping keep their supporters happy.

http://www.as.com/articulo/futbol/Atletico/ata/Forlan/Riquelme/millones/dasftb/20070628dasdaiftb_30/Tes/
    Or convince him its worth staying....

Oliver Kay in todays london times says a deal is not imminent but that Rafa is very confident of getting his man.The deal will be sweetened by offering Garcia as well.

The times also say fat frank is subject of a bid by Barca who want to sell deco.

Its with the money Liverpool will be giving them that they can do this.

Surely they couldn't afford that money WITHOUT selling Torres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Its with the money Liverpool will be giving them that they can do this.

Surely they couldn't afford that money WITHOUT selling Torres?

You'd be surprised - iirc they spent 23m EUR on Aguero alone last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Come on Towers, make the move!! :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement