Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

griffdaddy wrote:
    Come on Towers, make the move!! :p

With Towers and all these doormen we won't be stopped

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

I think whats more interesting is that Garcia has said he is interested in a move to Athletico..more or less
    Liverpool are in my thoughts at the moment, but one day I would like to come back, and not to Barcelona, but to Atletico Madrid, who are always in my thoughts," Garcia told Spanish television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Liverpool sign Towers in Google mix-up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Anyone know what squad numbers are currently free for new signings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Anyone know what squad numbers are currently free for new signings?
    Gods number is free

1 9 and 11 from the first 11.

With Dudek, Gonzalez and God leaving.

13, 19, 21, 24, 27, 28, 30.....

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I hope the president, Enrique Cherry tree lets him leave soon. This dragging on is really bugging me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Generic young spanish talent No. 42 has just been signed...

mikel san jose from bilbao http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=474177&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=&title=San+Jose+knows+way+to+Reds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Come on Torres, we need you here. I'd like to see him take number 9. El Nino=New God! :D

• Advertisement

El Nino, son of god...

Wonder how he will do in the prem if he does come. Is a completely different game over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I find it hard to believe that we have to wait for him to com back from holiday (July 10th). Does he not have a phone ? Rafa mentioned he wanted players in before pre-season (tomorrow).

If Rafa buys Simao and Torres Liverpool will be a team full of leaders as they both, along with Kuyt were captains of their previous teams. Add to that Gerrard, Carra and his interest in Benjayoun who is captain of Israel and it paints an interesting picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Tis a different game alright but he's younger than Morientes so he should adapt easier, I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

it would be a team of experience and leaders,but is simao a better option than Malouda,both seem available at around 12m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

there is a quote from Malouda in the mirror today saying, "I have told Lyon i want to move to Chelsea. Of course i want to play with Didier again."
    Plus Lyon have rejected the 12million bid and are holding out for 16 supposedly.

They can have him, hope he rots on their bench a la SWP, and at 27 now, mightn't be able to get a move to another top team in a few years. effectively ending his career on the bench.

promise i'm not bitter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Mancini would be a better buy than either Malouda or Simao. I think him and Torres would make us an unrecognisably stronger team, our defence is very good, our choice of centre midfielders is unparalled, mancini on the right would be a revelation, and if Torres was as good as expected and Kuyt/Crouch upped their game a notch or two we'd be strong all over the park. We have Kewell/Riise/Garcia for the left, they're all capable of flashes of brilliance, expecially if the team around them starts playing better, although we might wanna bring in a lefty in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i dont think that a left wing of either riise/kewell/garcia(is he not part of the torres deal anyhow) is strong enough to win a title.Simoa can play both wings and is a good option on that basis alone.
    Still cant understand why we have not shown an interest in Dani Alves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ideally id love us to buy both Mancini and Simao, both can play either side of the pitch. We all know Rafa loves to switch his wingers during games to cause a bit of confusion, so these 2 would be perfect. 2 different approaches to wing play as well so would offer different types of outlets.

Im not too disappointed to see no interest in Alves. I watched him a lot this year, and have to admit i just dont like him. He's a great player and everything but he does an awful lot of moaning and diving. Hate to see that in a prospective buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Ideally id love us to buy both Mancini and Simao, both can play either side of the pitch. We all know Rafa loves to switch his wingers during games to cause a bit of confusion, so these 2 would be perfect. 2 different approaches to wing play as well so would offer different types of outlets.

Im not too disappointed to see no interest in Alves. I watched him a lot this year, and have to admit i just dont like him. He's a great player and everything but he does an awful lot of moaning and diving. Hate to see that in a prospective buy.
    if you signed two top wingers, only one would play though. With Alonso after signing a new deal, Mascherano signing on loan, Sissoko still being there and Lucas arriving too, I can see Gerrard being out on the right again this coming season (best position for him imo - gives him the freedom to attack without having to worry about defending the centre of the pitch, which he has gotten worse at imo as time has gone on) The other option would be to play gerrard off the striker, but if you are signing Torres, where does that leave Vorinin, Kuyt and Crouch, assuming Bellamy is moved on (which might not be the case)

think Rafa might play 3-5-2 a lot next year.

which would free up both wings as gerrard could play in the middle with plenty of defensive cover with Alonso and Masch/Sissoko alongside/behind him.

Not sure if we'll sign two wingers though.

TBH at the momemt I'd be happy with one big signing! HURRY UP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Who would be the three though? Wouldn't you need another CB for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

think Rafa might play 3-5-2 a lot next year

Can't see it, myself. Aurelio aside, we've no natural wingbacks, and our wide midfielders wouldn't get a look in.

I'm convinced we'll see at 4-2-3-1, similar to how Valencia played under him.

Tauren wrote:
    if you signed two top wingers, only one would play though. With Alonso after signing a new deal, Mascherano signing on loan, Sissoko still being there and Lucas arriving too, I can see Gerrard being out on the right again this coming season (best position for him imo - gives him the freedom to attack without having to worry about defending the centre of the pitch, which he has gotten worse at imo as time has gone on) The other option would be to play gerrard off the striker, but if you are signing Torres, where does that leave Vorinin, Kuyt and Crouch, assuming Bellamy is moved on (which might not be the case)

thats true, and to be honest id be very happy with just Torres and Mancini, i was just saying my ideal situation.

Gerrard---Mascherano--Alonso---Mancini
    Kuyt/Crouch
    Torres

would suit me fine :)

Also for Millers mention of a 3-5-2
    I think id take Finnan over Hypia as the 3rd at this point, he's as solid on that side as any CB i think. Could also swap Mancini to the right and play kewell left, depending on how he's looking.

---Finnan--Carra--Agger---
    Alonso--Masch
    Pennant----Gerrard----Mancini
    Kuyt
    Torres

To nakedbiblemans post, i dont see the point of wingbacks. If we were to go 3-5-2, it should be to be attacking, whereas with wingbacks its effectively 5-3-2. (by the way id consider Riise, Aurelio and Finnan to all be fully capable wingbacks, all have played as wingers at different times) The idea should be that we could cope with the 3 at the back, since we have the 2 defensive players. The 2 proper wingers would need to track back obviously, but they should be doing that anyway

The three in the middle being Mash/Alonso/Gerrard with Finnan/Carra/Agger at the back

- - - - - - -Finnan-Carra-Agger- - - - - - -
    new winger-Alonso-Mascherano-Riise/Aurelio
    - - - - - - - - - Gerrard - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - - - - - -Kuyt/Crouch-Torres- - - - - - - - -

Also cover/alternatives on the right being Pennant/Garcia
    Left being Kewell/Garcia

As i've said on here before, Aurelios injury came at the worst time cause he finally looked settled and looked like an excellent player. Looking forward to his return and hopefully he starts as he finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sissoko signs new 4 year deal.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Supposed new stadium pics... To be sponsored by a womens toiletry firm no doubt

http://www.liverpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1668&posts=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I see Benitez apparantly wants the king of Japan.

Eirebhoy - I thought his manager said he wouldn't be going anywhere?
    You think he'd cut it in the premier league at a top club/ Europe?

honestly

honestly
    of course he would, did you miss him destroying Brazil in the WC2006.

He's obvious quality, debatable physicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

honestly
    Honestly I think he's good enough for any league or any team in the world. Strachan would want over £10m for him so he'll most likely be at Celtic next season (and happy to be there). The only thing is this new FIFA rule where he can be bought out of his contract for about £1m next summer (I think?). He's similar to Benayoun so Benitez is obviously looking for an attacking playmaker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

Torres is a class act without a doubt but is he gonna be our 30 goals a season striker we so desperatly need?? i dont think so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jesus, this again!

Stadium looks dope though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm pretty surprised he is keeping Sissoko, how is he gona keep all of his central midfielders happy?

Sissoko, Mascherano, Alonso, Lucas, and Gerrard

Surely this must mean he still wants Gerrard to play right wing, considering his attempts to get Torres must means he wants to play 2 up front

We don't play with CM's though, either DM or AM 4-2-3-1 ala Valencia.

Certainly looks like he is considering playing with 5 in midfield for large portions of the season.

All about depth I suppose.

Nakamura is an interesting one. He's shown he can handle the physicality of the Scottish league, so that isn't going to be a problem. He's shown, both for Japan and in the Champions League, that he has the talent to perform in big matches. His free-kicks are breath-taking, and a definite area that Liverpool are lacking in.

Still, he's not getting any younger, and he is a risk. Can he play when not given the space he's accustomed to?

I'd take him, but not for e10 million!

[edit]Just looked at the stadium pictures. Wow! Looks great, I have to say. The Kop looks gigantic. How much room for expansion in the future, though?[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

i think there using the blue print of Dortmunds ground with the giant stand be hind the goal which will be the new kop. Looks quite impressive and seems to allow for expansion unlike the old design no big towers behind the stands to restrict building.

I cant understand why he has kept Sissoko. The only reason I can think of is that he is not confident of keeping Mascherano. Mascherano is a much better all rounder. It certainly suggests that Gerrard will be used on the right and that there will be three CM after 2 other positions. If Lucas comes good maybe he plans something like this.

Kewell
    Lucas(?)
    Gerrard

Alonso---Mascherano

If he is going to play 5 in the middle then there will be some unhappy strikers come the end of next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't undertstand why some seem to think Lucas is a near cert to start, or be a regular.

• Advertisement

He kept Sissoko as we would be screwed in the centre of the park if we got 2 injurys. Its not that complicated at all to be honest. Also provides some insurance if their is problems with Mashcerano.

anyone have other links for the stadium pictures? That site has them removed now.

Also I hope Rafa keeps the smig, looks class! Could be the new badass take no prisoners Rafa ;)

He kept Sissoko as we would be screwed in the centre of the park if we got 2 injurys. Its not that complicated at all to be honest. Also provides some insurance if their is problems with Mashcerano.

I suppose. The problem is not that we have too many center midfielders, its that we have too many quality center midfielders and they wont be happy on the bench.

In regards to Lucas - he won the golden boot and is under 21 Brazil captain! Previous Golden Boot winners are Kaka, Robiniho, Alex, Romario, Ronaldo etc. I expect a lot from him.

Interesting video, not v.positive though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OGzFf8aGho

We don't have wonder subs like John O'Shea or Darren Fletcher like...

That video is 6 weeks old.

looks like those stadium pics you guys saw were real anyway, they're being removed from every fan site and forum under threats of legal action it seems! Anyone sneakily save em and wanna send em on to me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The-Rigger wrote:
    I don't undertstand why some seem to think Lucas is a near cert to start, or be a regular.

Because he will be. He'll have a quiet start to the season though since he only finished playing with Gremio last week. He'll be more important to us than Stevie by this time next year.

In my opinion of course

zabbo wrote:
    That video is 6 weeks old.

Yeah but he knows that they aren't qualifying for the champions league in it. He says he has no intention of moving to another club and that he has everything he wants at A.Madrid. I'm resigning myself to the fact that he may not sign. I think its highly probable.

I thought we paid near 10million for Lucas, certainly seems to have the credentials to push for a starting position. We missed the touch of magic from Garcia last season.

Yeah, I'd expect Lucas to play a significant role this season. He looks a bit more forward minded than Macherano or Sissoko, so he gives us another option. I'm looking forward to seeing how he adapts in any case.

Melion wrote:
    Because he will be. He'll have a quiet start to the season though since he only finished playing with Gremio last week. He'll be more important to us than Stevie by this time next year.

In my opinion of course

Don't think he'll play much next year to be honest, mainly the cups and if his performances there are class, he'll probably get a chance in the first team. He is only 20, and only played in the Brazilian League for 2 years, not nearly experienced enough to walk into the team, especially with the calibre of player we have in his position already.
    Far as i knew (and according to The Kop magazine) he was signed for 5 million pounds.
    Think he was a signing for the future as opposed to immediate impact.
    Sissoko signing doesnt mean he'll be here four years, just means that if we are to sell him on, we'll get good money. Imagine he'll go next year.
    Far as i was aware, the only reason that Mascherano would be leaving Liverpool anytime soon was if the club didn't want him. The deal is done and he's ours if we want him. The way he has talked about the club and the way Rafa has praised him (very un-rafa like) means that he ain't going anywhere, end of story. Sissoko on the other hand, i'd imagine will leave for a nice wad of cash next summer, or even Jan if this Lucas fella looks up to it.

and finally. . . . . Liverpool don't need a 30 goal a season striker. Just need a bit of class up front. Torres is that.

PS saying this time next year Lucas will be more important to the team than Stevie is the maddest thing anyone has said on this thread in a long time :) even if it is, only in your opinion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement