Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

~Rebel~ wrote:
    In case anyone forgets his goals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaOdU4bx3UM many and varied.

One thing that stood out the most for me in that clip was how many of the goals that Garcia was involved in in the first half of the clip.

Regarding Torres, he is a quality player and I am delighted that it seems like he is going to be signed. Don't think he is the answer to all our problems but he will certainly be a big part of any answer imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

One thing that stood out the most for me in that clip was how many of the goals that Garcia was involved in in the first half of the clip.

Very true, i spotted that as well when i first saw the clip in thisisanfield.com forums. I think the difference in a mediocre and successful season comes down to the winger/wingers we bring in.

We really missed Garcia's moments of magic (both assists and goals) this year and i think we need to aim high with a replacement.

Well 20 initially and another 10 if and when he puts out the performances would be alot easier to stomach that 30 million regardless of how he/we perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Looks like he's flying home to appease the AM fans, then back to Liverpool for the formalities.

• Advertisement

Ballague on SSN saying he'll cost less than 30million Euros (around 20m STG)

zabbo wrote:
    Ballague on SSN saying he'll cost less than 30million Euros (around 20m STG)

Thats alot more reasonable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

but he didn't score in the semi-final,

he did, a perfect reaction shot but twas ruled offside wrongly in my view.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

evil_seed wrote:

so i can finally start celebrating get in:D :D:D:D

Thats alot more reasonable..
    only 3.5m more than Darren Bent, and Luis going the other way for 4m.

Still waiting for confirmation on the price though, more than likely performance related, so possibly only £20m initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156273070703-1828.htm
    Medical passed deal to be signed tomorrow i have just put a bet on with the lads on in work for Torres to out score Bent in the league next year and am going to put money on him gettin 20 goals at least for the pool next year.
    Oh i do so look forward to August and the big kick off :D

Stky10 wrote:
    Compare that to the quality of a Tevez, Rooney or similar and what they could achieve in the same position. For me, thats the standard thats needed in such an important position.

Yes but they're 30million pound players and the quality gap between Kuyt and them IMO isnt big enough to warrent that kind of outlay, especially with what we've seen from him already. As for bergkamp as you said he would have done infinitely less running, which is fine at Arsenal, but at pool, he simply wouldnt have gotten the ball in last seasons team, and when he would have he'd have been stranded up there with no support. That was our problem this year. IMO Kuyt, when the team was playing well and supporting as they should be (nowhere near enough of the time) he was excellent at keeping moves going, finding a man, making a clever pass and finishing. We wont really know till we see this situations occuring more often but form what he's done i think he definately deserves the chance to show what he can do in a properly balanced team with proper support and a proper striker leading the line making runs for him and looking for the ball.

Torres suits Kuyt very well really since he himself is not a selfish player so Kuyts goal ratio should improve. They should provide a lot of space for each other as well, which i thought Bellamy would have done, but he only ever did in fits and starts.

Era we'll know for sure this time next year!

Anyway, Welcome Torres!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should be noted that Kuyt finished his first season with 12 goals in Prem, which given the supply problems, rotated partners and playing quite deep is'nt so awful.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

As a Manu fan i am gutted that Fernando Torres is signing for Liverpool, but the same time i'm excited. I've watched him the last 4yrs and i have to say that when he hits top form, there will many who will be raving about him here and liverpool fans. I would think that the most exciting talent in spain for the last few years, probably held his progression back a bit by staying with Athletico, but finally made the move :). I'm looking forward to seeing him play next season.

I dont think Rafa can have anymore excuses now about not been able to compete with the Manu and Chelsea. I just wonder how much he has left to spend? I expect them to maybe sign right sided player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

As soon as this is confirmed and the deal is signed I'm getting the new away jersey with Torres 9 on the back.

Come on El Nino, let's bring the magic to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

But all the reports in Spain seem to be that Torres is gone for 16.5 plus Garcia for 4 (thought that was a bit cheap).

Watever way that's put, that is a super buy.

Same money as Bent, less than Anderson, Nani and Hargreaves and same price as Arsenals new fella (although not sure exactly wat price he went for, are both clubs still saying different things?!)

Hopefully he works out now. At least the american lads have started to deliver on their promises and have delivered a genuine world class player!

League number 19 anyone?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

You did have to put the hex on it didn't ya:D

Seriously though, people need to calm down. Its going to take way more than the addition of Torres to last years team to make them genuine championship contenders.

Its a good step in a positive direction. But thats it.. one step.

I honestly can't see us winning the league next year. But as Stky10 said this is a step in the right direction. We now have a world-class striker so our matches should be a bit more interesting now!

We just need to sort out the wings now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

In May 2007 Torres hit the headlines when he revealed the words 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on the inside of his captain's armband during a match against Real Sociedad. .. taken fromliverpool site(article link a few posts up)

thats a weird one alright... never heard it before, which must have meant he wanted to come to da pool before we even registered any real interest in him

looder wrote:
    In May 2007 Torres hit the headlines when he revealed the words 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on the inside of his captain's armband during a match against Real Sociedad. .. taken fromliverpool site(article link a few posts up)

thats a weird one alright... never heard it before, which must have meant he wanted to come to da pool before we even registered any real interest in him
    Jaysus you must've had your head buried in the sand! It was all over the tabloids and was discussed here. There were also rumours that the slogan was actually because of his love of Celtic and that the Bhoys were going to put a bid in for him! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

looder wrote:

'cept it apparently didn't say "You'll Never Walk Alone" -- it supposedly said "We'll never Walk Alone" and was a birthday gift (or some such) from a group of his friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

he is still coming to United! i swear :p

Are you trying to make me piss myself? Torres alone is not going to be the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ha ha ha i know that one player cant make that much of a difference, i was only allowing myself to get carried away temporarily. As was said though it is definately a step in the right direction (i bet i'll be paying for that comment all week!)

Would be happy now if we signed one top winger could play on both wings.

Can Quaresma play on both wings? Simao can, can't he? Never really been that convinced about him to be honest! If we could get him for a good price though, could be worth a punt.

Anybody got any ideas???

Think if Kewell gets a good run without injuries next year he could be a MASSIVE player for us.

Atletico are building a pretty nice team there to be honest! will be great next year id say! Forlan, whatever about him in the prem, he'll get you goals in spain, Garcia we know all about his moments of magic, which there should be more of in spain with more time on the ball, Riquelme looks to be heading there as well, one of the best passers/playmakers in the game and they've submitted a bid for Quaresma, as well as having Aguerro another fantastic exciting young player! They'll probably concede a fair few next term with those sorts of players but in full flight they'll be amazing to watch! Some of those players would be ideal for our situation right now as well.

Carlos Eduardo from Gremio would be near the top of my list, with Mancini and Simao. malouda has been well and truly crossed off at this point. How has vicente playing these days? Used to love him but didnt see too much of him last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

zing wrote:
    'cept it apparently didn't say "You'll Never Walk Alone" -- it supposedly said "We'll never Walk Alone" and was a birthday gift (or some such) from a group of his friends.
    http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/0%2C%2C2007181679%2C00.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Atletico are building a pretty nice team there to be honest! will be great next year id say!
    Aye, let's just hope he doesn't end up with egg on his face like a certain Mr. Owen in '05 eh?

As said, Torres is a huge leap forward but he'll still need better supply. Would also like to see a Garcia-esque player brought in to replace the annoyingly loveable git... but preferably of a little higher quality than Benayoun.

After that we'd just need some backup in defence (Paletta has not looked up to it at all so far, though first season in new league and all that...) and things could be looking quite peachy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i notice the way PHB has kept out of here since all the torres talk :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

As a Manu fan i am gutted that Fernando Torres is signing for Liverpool . . .

Ditto . . .
    . . . but the same time i'm excited. I've watched him the last 4yrs and i have to say that when he hits top form, there will many who will be raving about him here and liverpool fans.

Unfortunately this is where I disagree with you. Yes he is an exciting player, but there have been many exciting players who have gone to Liverpool and dissappointed and in my opinion Torres will be another in that list. Players have left the 'pool and have scored for fun in their new teams ( same with ManU, e.g. Forlan ?) but in Anfield they just didn't do it.
    Liverpools style may not suit him and I honestly think he's being bought just to appease the fans. At his current team he feeds off an attacking midfield and this suits him, at Liverpool this isn't the case. Liverpool are well known for their defensive play and Torres will end up coming back to get the ball and go the same way as the other pool strikers from the continent.

It'll be hard for Liverpool fans to take me seriously I know and I really do hope it works but in this instance I think the Americans have gone purely for a name and havn't thought about the ethos that is Liverpool. To me this looks like Chelsea over again, has the manager requested this player or has he been told to take him ?

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I'm delighted that Torres will apparently finally be unveiled as a 'Pool player on Wednesday. It's probably the most excited I've ever been about a signing for us. I have a suspicion Kuyt's goal tally will increase significantly from playing alongside el niño next year. Hopefully, we can get a quality wideman now. Simao is, I suppose, the most likely as Rafa has been such a longtime admirer of him.

Btw, what's happening with Benayoun? It seems to have gotten a bit quiet. I don't think we should let someone as creative as him slip through our fingers especially considering Garcia's departure and the reports that the lad really wants to play for us.

ZENER wrote:
    It'll be hard for Liverpool fans to take me seriously I know and I really do hope it works but in this instance I think the Americans have gone purely for a name and havn't thought about the ethos that is Liverpool. To me this looks like Chelsea over again, has the manager requested this player or has he been told to take him ?

ZEN

I very very much doubt that. That two americans who quite clearly know very little about the game would make one of their first orders of business to completely alienate their teams manager by choosing their one and probably only big big money signing randomly based on him being a big name rather then buying one their manager wanted. It would make absolutely no sense on any level whatsoever, and if it was the case i would have expected to have heard of Rafa handing in his resignation by now. He left Valencia to have more say in transfer dealings.

I agree we were probably setting out to bring in a big name so as to put pool back on the map but i have to doubt whatsoever that player was chosen by Rafa. Torres is a very rafaesque signing anyway, fits the position needed, capable of leading the line with a partner or on his own, but most importantly for Rafa, selfless, willing to work to add to the team and to accept whats best for the team. Id say Villa would be the other one to match this profile but would prove next to impossoble to get, as Valencia have no need to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I agree with Rebel...don't think the Yanks would have bought a player just for the sake of his name...

If that was the case they would have beaten Derby to Rob Earnshaw and paid more than the 3.5m they paid for him :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

That's the big name striker signed, now time for Rafa to sort out the wingers.
    With Garcia gone it'll mean more of Gerrard out on the right which is not his best position despite what Rafa might think.

So who will he target next? Simao??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

"Liverpool has been very important in my career and I will never forget my time there.
    "Their fans are amazing, they supported me since my arrival, in good and bad times. I tried to do the best I could to repay their trust but nothing I can do can ever repay their unconditional support."

Bless his little cotton socks, he made quite the impact during his stay, couldn't pass worth a sh1t but scored some impressive and important goals, good luck to him. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Did you watch the video above ? He could pass, just did not always choose to. He was also (according to that guy who sometimes writes on the LFC website Paul Tomkins is it) the most influential player on the pitch when he was playing, he was involved in more goals than any other player (worked out from two touches before the goal as opposed to one).

• Advertisement

30 goals in 121 games, not bad considering he was used on all over the final 1/3

Great Player, had his faults, but a player who could produce magic.

I was at the Arsenal game last year, and Arsenal parked the bus in front of the goals, a frustrating 89minutes with Gerrard missing a peno, up pops lil Luis to scramble one in from close range to seal the win.

I'll have a look out for AM in La Liga now.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ZENER wrote:

ZEN

hard for people to take you seriously because you are talking complete rubbish more like. torres has been a target of Rafa for years, long before the americans ever heard of soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'm still interested to see how Voronin does. He's certainly a player who's shown promise in the past, and scored plenty of goals (65 in 186 for various clubs).

This last season has been poor, but then again, its not uncommon for players with one eye on the door to be playing below par.

That leaves us with 5 strikers on the books. Torres, Kuyt, Crouch, Voronin, Bellamy. Surely Bellamy is going. Crouch I think, should be kept. Kuyt is a definite keeper too. That means there will be fierce competition for places next year.

ZENER wrote:

ZEN

Worst effort at trolling in a long time and shows up your knowledge too, that is the reason I find it hard to take you seriously. Rafa is a long time admirer of Torres and there is no way that these Gilet and Hicks guys are gonna splash the cash for a player that the manager does not want, let alone some Spanish kid that they have probably never heard of.

And I don't know about fierce competition for places, Rafa knows there are a lot of games to play this season, knocking up around 70 or so if reasonably successful on all fronts and we will need people who are able to step up and take their chances when they get them (ala Crouch).

Last season we had 4, including Fowler, who was never really pushing for a place. So really we had 3 people fighting for two places. This season, assuming Bellamy goes and everyone else stays, we have 4 players realistically vying for a starting place. I don't know any other club in England with such competition. Actually I suppose Spurs do... Keane/Berbatov/Defoe/Bent.

Anyway, i'm not saying its a good or bad thing, just that the competition will be fierce.

• Advertisement

Press Conference at 3pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

ZENER wrote:
    Ditto . . .

Unfortunately this is where I disagree with you. Yes he is an exciting player, but there have been many exciting players who have gone to Liverpool and dissappointed and in my opinion Torres will be another in that list. Players have left the 'pool and have scored for fun in their new teams ( same with ManU, e.g. Forlan ?) but in Anfield they just didn't do it.
    Liverpools style may not suit him and I honestly think he's being bought just to appease the fans. At his current team he feeds off an attacking midfield and this suits him, at Liverpool this isn't the case. Liverpool are well known for their defensive play and Torres will end up coming back to get the ball and go the same way as the other pool strikers from the continent.

ZEN
    It's very hard not to rise to your bait, but you show such a complete lack of understanding of soccer, not to mention business, that I have to respond. do you honestly believe that the owners would splash such a large amoount of cash simply to sign a "name" and to "appease the fans"? is that honestly what you really think?

I have heard some bitter comments from Manu fans, not least at the recent CL finals, but this ranks up there with one of the worst (best if you see the comedy factor in it) and is just typical of some of you so called "fans" of late.

Away with ye.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have heard some bitter comments from Manu fans, not least at the recent CL finals, but this ranks up there with one of the worst (best if you see the comedy factor in it) and is just typical of some of you so called "fans" of late.

Away with ye.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

TAXI for Zener !!!

Filthy Troll !

I'm loving all these 'gutted' ManU fans about Torres signing for Liverpool.

ZENER takes the biscuit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Telegraph:
    The price widely quoted for the talented striker has been £26.5 million, but it is understood the fee is closer to £20 million
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/07/04/sfnliv104.xml

Independent:
    Liverpool are expected to pay £21.5m for Torres, having sold Luis Garcia to Atletico yesterday in a £5m deal.
    http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2733190.ece

Times:
    Liverpool are thought to have paid about £20.2 million, although with Luis GarcÍa, valued at £4 million, the deal is worth over £24 million
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/liverpool/article2022918.ece

Mail:
    Despite claims that Atletico Madrid were holding out for the £27m escape clause in Torres's contract, the fee for the Spain striker has been set at around £20m, with Luis Garcia moving in the opposite direction for £4m.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=465972&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

comparisons :

Owen Hargreaves £17m
    Franck Ribery £17.5m
    Darren Bent £16.5m
    Anderson £20.4m
    Nani £17.3m

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article2017636.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I heard yesterday that he is also taking a pay cut to play with Liverpool. Don't know how accurate this is, but if it is true, it shows his true commitment to the club.

Torres is gonna wear the number 9.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156281070704-1042.htm

Now there is a burden of expectation if any more was needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Actually I partially agree with Zener.

No one is doubting his talents but his strike rate isnt the best, will it be any better at liverpool?
    Well if it is then there would be one hand on the league trophy for ye, im sure of that.

Torres would be a great addition to any team including Arsenal and United, he is quite expensive though. Eto would have cost about the same and he is a far better player and exactly what liverpool need.

Only time will tell who is right.

If he scores more then 12 league goals he is doing very well IMO.

Good luck to him anyway.

Nobody is disagreeing with the he may or may not work out bit, there is alwasy a chance of that. People are disagreeing with the He was just bought cos he is a name and the fans are restless rubbish that was spouted..

jank wrote:
    Torres would be a great addition to any team including Arsenal and United, he is quite expensive though. Eto would have cost about the same and he is a far better player and exactly what liverpool need.

Eto'o has quite the ego, and is prone to disappearing for entire games, he's also older, and buggers off to the African Nations every January, and it would be difficult to prise him away from Barca (with Henry)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement