Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Tauren wrote:

Brilliant - made my day so it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I would like to see him get a chance, I saw him play a few games in the reserves and he was the best player on the pitch by a long way.

He has a great touch on him and is a very good passer of the ball.

Yeah, saw him play under 21 for france against ireland and he was comfortably the best player on the pitch then too, and that includes Ribery and Doyle! Still wary of him being able to step up to the top level though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

if agger or carra gets injured the same thing happens to liverpool as happened chelsea when terry was out or united when ferdinand is out.

First choice CB's
    Liverpool : Agger + Carragher
    Chelsea : Carvalho + Terry
    Man Utd : Ferdinand + Vidic

3rd choice CB:
    Liverpool : Hyppia
    Chelsea : Ben-Haim
    Man Utd : Brown

4th choice CB:
    Liverpool : Paletta
    Chelsea : Alex
    Man Utd : Pique/Silvestre

After the first choice, Liverpool's CB's are weak. They have little depth there.
    Just because madrid and chelsea want malouda, that makes him a better player???? seriously flawed logic.

That wasn't the only part, I see you ignore voted best player of the French league. Considering he was voted best player of the French league, and Simao wasn't even voted best player of the Portugesse league, and considering the French league is a lot higher standerd than the Portugesse league, Malouda must be a better player. How's that some valid logic?
    Quality? Crouch per minutes played was one of the most effective strikers in england last year, kuyt has goal scoring pedigree aswell, he played too deep last year, should be a different story with torres beside him and voronin is an unknown quantity.

He was? Have you forgotten the amount of glaring misses that Crouch and Kuyt had last year, like some of their misses were actually impressive. Kuyt is going to suddenly transfer from a work-horse into a goal scoring machine? Why?
    Im sure you are comparing our four to united or chelseas strikers? they have one top class forward each in rooney and drogba thats it.

That's just delusional.
    If you had a choice between Shevchenko and Kuyt or Crouch or Bellamy, would you really not pick Shevchenko?
    Saha despite being injured for half the season had 8 goals compared to Crouch's 9 and Kuyt's 12.
    Van Persie scored 11 goals in 22 games last season!
    Just in case you're wondering, Kuyt played 34 games last season, Crouch 32, Saha 24, and Van Persie 22!
    Oh yeh, Ole's goal count of 7 in the league for 19 games puts him quite a bit higher in the ratio that Crouch in the goals per minute ratio.

Liverpool's strikers were not top class last season, although Crouch showed he might be able to step up a level, as he improved over the course of the year, and Kuyt showed himself to be a real workhorse, but are they really ever gona be as good as the strikers at Chelsea or United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

if i had a choice between the Shevchenko that Chelsea had last year or Crouch or Kuyt, i honestly think i'd pick Crouch/Kuyt.

Bellamy deserves his criticisms, but i think your being a bit harsh on Kuyt. He was playing in a team you said yourself were balanced very defensively. We know he's a decent finisher, at times last year that showed and at times he looked a bit off the ball, which is to be expected when you only get a half chance every once in a while. but he was top scorer in Holland for a few years. I know the standard is different, but the actual finish always has to be done, which obviously shows that he is fully capable of putting away those glaring misses from this year. Id give him another year in a more attacking team where he doesnt have to come back to the halfway line to receive the ball. If he still has the same goal return next year under better circumstances next year, then maybe we should be thinking of trading up, but i think he earned his chance this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

if i had a choice between the Shevchenko that Chelsea had last year or Crouch or Kuyt, i honestly think i'd pick Crouch/Kuyt.

+1

Shevchenko was meh last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

PHB wrote:
    That wasn't the only part, I see you ignore voted best player of the French league. Considering he was voted best player of the French league, and Simao wasn't even voted best player of the Portugesse league, and considering the French league is a lot higher standerd than the Portugesse league, Malouda must be a better player. How's that some valid logic?

Moot point I suppose, but I'd put the french and Portuguese leagues around equal. Both have been dominated by one team lately (Lyon, Porto), both leagues have had their best young players raided by big clubs in bigger leagues, and both Porto/Lyon fairly regularly get to the champions league quarter finals. I'd rate Simao and Malouda fairly equally as well. Neither are guaranteed first choice for their country either even though they'd be very well thought of.

Like most people on here as well, I'd prefer Mancini and Quaresma to either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd prefer em too. being honest though, i haven't seen much of mancini, is he really as good as people seem to say he is? he seems to only have been talked up since his cracking goal in the CL?!

kenyon said today Chelsea hope to have Malouda tied up by the weekend. So he is absolutely out of the picture. but i am glad to be honest. am i on my own in thinking chelsea are mad to sign him after he admitted he'd turn them down in Real came in for him?! surely thats an awful attitude for a new signing to have??!

saw Mancini a fair few times this season, though i wasnt really studying him, but he looked good, great eye for goal and a pass, can play both wings, likes to come inside across goal and get a shot in. Kinda like an upgrade of garcia. Would love to get him as Liverpool really need that cutting edge we've been lacking, particularly for the second half of the season after Garcia got injured.

The only thing that would make me wary of mancini is that I hadnt really heard of him or seen him before last season but he's not exctly a young up n comer..anyone know if he was the same standard for the last few years? Just be afraid of a one season wonder! he did seem to do well over the whole course of the season alright though and his goals and assists record this year are fantastic.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    The only thing that would make me wary of mancini is that I hadnt really heard of him or seen him before last season but he's not exctly a young up n comer..anyone know if he was the same standard for the last few years? Just be afraid of a one season wonder! he did seem to do well over the whole course of the season alright though and his goals and assists record this year are fantastic.

Yeah, he's been doing well for a couple of seasons now with Roma. Its wierd the way they've decided to mostly play without a standard striker up front, and instead went with Mancini, Totti, and Taddei. 05-06 seems to have been his best goal scoring year as shown here

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=36770&cc=5739

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hammers in for Bellamy say BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6270944.stm

Makes sense for them and Pool

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

mike65 wrote:
    Hammers in for Bellamy say BBC

Makes sense for them and Pool

Mike.

Apparently they don't just want one of our strikers... they want Cisse as well.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=466527&in_page_id=1779&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=picbox&ct=5

Somehow I just can't see Cisse & Bellamy getting on well together. And Cisse has his sights set firmly on Marseille anyway

well they have money so we should just say 17million for the two of them, and then bite their hand off if they agree.

Would be great to end up only spending a net of 3 or 4 million after getting rid of those two and replacing them with Torres and Voronin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Plenty of Liverpool gossip in the papers today:

West Ham are interested in signing Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy but want to secure him for less than the Reds' £10m valuation. (Various)

But Sunderland manager Roy Keane is also ready to swoop for the Welsh striker and is ready to offer Liverpool £6m for him. (Daily Star)

Liverpool are still after new faces, with Roma's Alessandro Mancini, Porto's Ricardo Quaresma and Man Utd's Gabriel Heinze on the wanted list. (The Sun)

West Ham will make a £16m double swoop for Liverpool strike pair Djibril Cisse and Craig Bellamy. (Daily Mail)

West Ham have bid £8m plus Yossi Benayoun for Djibril Cisse, but he is keen on Marseille. (The Times)

Bellamy lined up for £9 million switch to West Ham

Decent bit of business if it goes through considering we paid £6.5 million (as reported) for him last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

West Ham have bid £8m plus Yossi Benayoun for Djibril Cisse, but he is keen on Marseille. (The Times)

that would be good value deal for the pool too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Zenden (out of contract) is to Marseille as well, he speaks French and his wifey is French

Argentina 1 - 0 Paraguay

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano scored the crucial goal 12 minutes from the end as Alfio Basile's men recorded their third consecutive victory in South America's showpiece tournament......

...Reds midfielder Javier Mascherano won the game for Argentina in the 78th minute when he picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area and beat Bobadilla with a precise shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Id give him another year in a more attacking team where he doesnt have to come back to the halfway line to receive the ball. If he still has the same goal return next year under better circumstances next year, then maybe we should be thinking of trading up, but i think he earned his chance this year.

Yeh fair enough I guess, my only experience of him was last season and the world cup, but his record in the dutch league is very impressive no doubt. Time will tell I guess. I'm not suggesting that you'd want to trade up, I think if you signed another forward, he'd be one of the best 3rd choice strikers you could get.
    Like most people on here as well, I'd prefer Mancini and Quaresma to either.

Yeh I'd say most people would. Personally I'd go Malouda, then Quaresma, then Mancini then Simao, but I really don't like Simao as a player. Mancini is a funny player to be honest, spells of brilliance, but the fact that he can't get his game for Brazil when they are so shockinly lacking any sort of width says something, and also he hasn't exactly been consistantly good in the past as Rebel points out.
    That said, he's the type of player Liverpool really need, attacking flair on the wings, that not only creates opportunities, but creates space for everyone else.

West Ham bidding 16 million for Cisse and Bellamy would be defo the most hilarious transfer news of the summer, I'd imagine if it was true Rafa would dance around the room when he heard the news.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Mascherano's goal, sweet finish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5W1_SsUn8w

Check out this Queresma goal too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHEh4UAAwxM

PHB wrote:
    West Ham bidding 16 million for Cisse and Bellamy would be defo the most hilarious transfer news of the summer, I'd imagine if it was true Rafa would dance around the room when he heard the news.

He wouldn't be alone in that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

dardoz wrote:
    Check out this Queresma goal too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHEh4UAAwxM

Wow most players can't get that much bend on the ball with their instep. Haven't seen much of him but he looks a very skillful player, perhaps a slightly more direct version of Ronaldo?

He can do the fancy stuff too mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEO4Z43f294

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

queresma would be a great buy but considering nani and anderson cost 17m each i would be very surprised if they would let him go for under 20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

PHB wrote:
    First choice CB's
    Liverpool : Agger + Carragher
    Chelsea : Carvalho + Terry
    Man Utd : Ferdinand + Vidic

3rd choice CB:
    Liverpool : Hyppia
    Chelsea : Ben-Haim
    Man Utd : Brown

4th choice CB:
    Liverpool : Paletta
    Chelsea : Alex
    Man Utd : Pique/Silvestre

After the first choice, Liverpool's CB's are weak. They have little depth there.

He was? Have you forgotten the amount of glaring misses that Crouch and Kuyt had last year, like some of their misses were actually impressive. Kuyt is going to suddenly transfer from a work-horse into a goal scoring machine? Why?

That's just delusional.
    If you had a choice between Shevchenko and Kuyt or Crouch or Bellamy, would you really not pick Shevchenko?
    Saha despite being injured for half the season had 8 goals compared to Crouch's 9 and Kuyt's 12.
    Van Persie scored 11 goals in 22 games last season!
    Just in case you're wondering, Kuyt played 34 games last season, Crouch 32, Saha 24, and Van Persie 22!
    Oh yeh, Ole's goal count of 7 in the league for 19 games puts him quite a bit higher in the ratio that Crouch in the goals per minute ratio.

Liverpool's strikers were not top class last season, although Crouch showed he might be able to step up a level, as he improved over the course of the year, and Kuyt showed himself to be a real workhorse, but are they really ever gona be as good as the strikers at Chelsea or United?

1) both chelsea backup centre halfs have just been signed, wait until the end of the summer before any more predictions of doom for liverpool in this dept and the only thing brown/silvestre have going for them in premiership experience, they are both dodgy as fcuk. and if you are adding pique as back up liverpool have about 10 18-20 cbs.

2) Best french player of the year? give me a break, cisse was the best striker in france, and look how he turned out. i amnt saying malouda is a bad player but he is no world beater.

3) Crouch and kuyt missed chances last year? and rooney, saha et al didnt? Kuyt has been a goal machine for the past 3/4 years, 71 goals in 101 games for feynoord, why is it so unlikely that give service he wont do it for liverpool?

Van persie played in the part of the season that arsenal were playing well and iirc correctly thats his best goal scoring return ever, he only got 11 league goals in total in the 2 previous seasons COMBINED!

Crouchs goals per minute is based on time on the pitch, he hardly played a full game all season. whatever way you look at it torres, crouch, kuyt and voronin is preferable to rooney, saha, solksjaer and ???

As much as I'd love Quaresma I can't see us breaking the bank for him. Like someone mentioned already if Anderson was 17mil Ricardo should be alot more.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

marco_polo wrote:
    Wow most players can't get that much bend on the ball with their instep. Haven't seen much of him but he looks a very skillful player, perhaps a slightly more direct version of Ronaldo?

He can do the fancy stuff too mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEO4Z43f294

after seeing that, I know what I'm gonna be praying for all summer

As much as I'd love Quaresma I can't see us breaking the bank for him. Like someone mentioned already if Anderson was 17mil Ricardo should be alot more.

Reports suggest Porto have told Atletico his price is 16m.

ManU overpaid in their mad rush to sign Nani and Anderson because they thought Chelsea might try to outbid them if they knew thats who their definite targets were.

ManU are the new Chelsea... meh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

good bit of business that would be.
    If get £10 million for him an cisse i would be happy. Invest it on a winger and then settle the squad for the start of the campaign no more of this out of the running crap by September please

• Advertisement

Well I can see Rafa pushing out 16mil, it's not too unreasonable a fee for a man who can play both wings and terrorise fullbacks.

Stky10 wrote:
    Yeah I know its tribalfootball, but still

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=46744

'Record says Porto snubbed a £15 million bid from Liverpool this week, with Reds reps assuring the Portuguese giants that they would be back with a better offer in the coming days.'

heh, that would be some great negotiation skills! :o

The-Rigger wrote:
    heh, that would be some great negotiation skills! :o

Sounds like Rick Parry must be back in charge of negotiations again.. :D

Voronin officially signed today, and takes the number 10 jersey.
    Whoopee

and takes the number 10 jersey

Sweet jesus no... does that mean its the end of the big name signings then?

Voronin getting number 10? Bit weird, but then again a numbers just a number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

well ya can hardly say to the lad the number 10 is free but your not good enough for that were going to buy someone better for that shirt heres number 36 instead....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

It's just temporary for the Wrexham game tomorrow according to lfc.tv boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

redzerdrog wrote:
    well ya can hardly say to the lad the number 10 is free but your not good enough for that were going to buy someone better for that shirt heres number 36 instead....

course ye can

Stky10 wrote:
    Reports suggest Porto have told Atletico his price is 16m.

ManU overpaid in their mad rush to sign Nani and Anderson because they thought Chelsea might try to outbid them if they knew thats who their definite targets were.

ManU are the new Chelsea... meh..
    United paid 8 million downpayment for each...the rest is based on if they reach their expected potential then it hits 17 million.

Liverpool have spent a fortune the past 5-10 years and yet United are the new Chelsea?

And as for the rush, Chelsea being as they are have forced other teams hands. Liverpool by all accounts wanted malouda but no, Chelsea nip in there. United on the brink of signing Robben, hes fotographed in OT, and then....Chelsea nip in there. United and Arsenal want Essien.....Chelsea nip in there. R u sayin we should just keep letting them do that yea? Smart....real smart. Great way to compete. Glad ur not a manager or money man so.

By 'nipping in there', I persume you mean offering 50% extra than the other teams :D

Oh those Chelea guys are so shrewd. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Cisse to West Ham
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=475516&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=2&title=Hammers+move+for+Cisse&channel=football_home&
    intresting price quoted 9 million i'd accept that straight off :D

Its gas how some mancs think they are the only ones who pay transfer fees in instalments :rolleyes:

Hopefully Cisse will go to West Ham. I thought himself and Marseilles might have a plan wherby Cisse says he'll only go to Marseille, therefore they think they'll get him on the cheap.

Its gas how some mancs think they are the only ones who pay transfer fees in instalments :rolleyes:
    And its even funnier that Liverpool fans act like they DONT spend any money.

Always cryin about how United or Chelsea buy their success while wastin million upon millions on ****e players and then actin like theyre pennisless. Its not our fault u can spend it wisely...... Sure u dont spend loads on individual players (except Torres, Alonso and, eh, Diouf to name a few) but the revolving door at Liverpool is beyond hilarious. (not sayin we dont have flops, christ the only decent thing Forlan did was stick two in your net - but the sher amount of flops u guys buy is astonishing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

And its even funnier that Liverpool fans act like they DONT spend any money.

Always cryin about how United or Chelsea buy their success while wastin million upon millions on ****e players and then actin like theyre pennisless. Its not our fault u can spend it wisely...... Sure u dont spend loads on individual players (except Torres, Alonso and, eh, Diouf to name a few) but the revolving door at Liverpool is beyond hilarious. (not sayin we dont have flops, christ the only decent thing Forlan did was stick two in your net - but the sher amount of flops u guys buy is astonishing)
    Very insightful, and well presented argument. Now, if only you had a point, that would be a real asset.

United paid 8 million downpayment for each...the rest is based on if they reach their expected potential then it hits 17 million.

Liverpool have spent a fortune the past 5-10 years and yet United are the new Chelsea?

And as for the rush, Chelsea being as they are have forced other teams hands. Liverpool by all accounts wanted malouda but no, Chelsea nip in there. United on the brink of signing Robben, hes fotographed in OT, and then....Chelsea nip in there. United and Arsenal want Essien.....Chelsea nip in there. R u sayin we should just keep letting them do that yea? Smart....real smart. Great way to compete. Glad ur not a manager or money man so.

Bit touchy aren't we.

The comment was based on the money they've commited themselves to spending this summer. Its far in excess of what every other team has spent so far. And as for Chelsea nipping in at the last minute, they haven't spent any money so far this summer, they haven't nipped in ahead of us for Malouda - it looks like Lyon have set a price and Liverpool aren't prepared to pay it, but Chelsea probably will. If Liverpool were prepared to pay it they could have had the transfer wrapped up weeks ago. And in their rush to get the deal sorted for Nanu and Anderson, ManU have misread Chelseas transfer intentions this summer and as a result spent over and above what they needed to do.

So I think the comment prefectly valid, and stand by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Hobart wrote:
    Very insightful, and well presented argument. Now, if only you had a point, that would be a real asset.
    QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I dont think I ever read Nani being linked with Chelsea, it was when Spurs were sniffing around that they suddenly bought him. And I never even heard of let alone read of Man Utd or Chelsea being linked with Anderson. The fact that there Manchester United is the reason they pay over the odds every time, and it'll be something Liverpool will have to get used to now after spending that amount on Torres. There not going to dominate the premier league buying 10million euro good players. With regards to Malouda why are you so sure he'd even want to join Liverpool even if they were prepared to pay the money. If he knew Chelsea or Real Madrid were interested, I dont think it would be Liverpool he'd want to go to. Just because Liverpool have some cash to splash doesnt actually mean every player will want to join them. If Houllier was still manager and there were no others spanish players at the club, and Liverpool and lets says Arsenal were after Torres, I dont think he'd be going to Liverpool. They havent exactly being buying world class players every year.

and with regards to United being the new Chelsea, who did Utd buy last Summer? The money used for Hargreaves is money they were trying to spend on him last summer. And if you believe Utd have payed 16million or so upfront for two unproven players, Anderson and Nani, then your deluded. And then theres possibly Tevez, who there not going to pay 30million upfront for. So they actually havent spent an awful lot if you exclude Hargreaves and could be even less if they if they sell smith and richardson (wouldnt be suprised if Richardson goes to West Ham if Tevez goes to Utd as its former club)

edit: i can't spell!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement