Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Bellers is gone
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=475697&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=&title=Bellamy+joins+Hammers

Good player but couldn't hack it in Rafa's rotation. All the best Craig.

Should do well at the Hammers, if he calms down a bit. Good player who is his own worst enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

So, we ended up getting £14m for Bellamy and Cisse. Djibril gone to Marseille. BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    Should do well at the Hammers, if he calms down a bit. Good player who is his own worst enemy.

no doubt he'll be liverpools worse enemy next season, in the typical "here i am, back to bite you in the ass" kinda way

good to see cisse gone for good, may he run into corner flags and kick wayward piledrivers into stands all over france next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I'm sad to see Bellamy go but realistically he didn't have much of a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Advertisement

No, he played with the U-18s last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

That's alright so, I thought that if was 21 or 22 and wasn't getting his game he would disappear to the lower leagues which would have been a pity as i think he's a decent prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Shamrok wrote:
    So, we ended up getting £14m for Bellamy and Cisse. Djibril gone to Marseille. BBC
    Not to bad made a profit on Bellamy and finally got shot of cisse.
    So £14million in the bank to go get a winger Rafa do us proud

Talk here of us going for Vincent Kompany the Belgian centre-half for Hamburg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well if FM is to be believed, he's great.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Shamrok wrote:
    Talk here of us going for Vincent Kompany the Belgian centre-half for Hamburg.

Very unlikely IMO. Hamburg bought him only last season for I believe 5 million GBP. He injured himself at the beginning of the season and made only 3 games (roughly) all season. He is one of the most promising young defenders in Europe, and he has stated that he wants to repay them for stadning by him during that time. At some point it looked like he wouldn't come back. Hamburg got last season a dutch coach, and they get on very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

West Ham saying Bellamy deal is not finalised yet.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2480959,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Carragher to quit playing for england?

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8698_2481637,00.html

I find it very hard to believe he is not first choice over ferdinand

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

darkskol wrote:
    Carragher to quit playing for england?

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8698_2481637,00.html

I find it very hard to believe he is not first choice over ferdinand

It serves them right tbh. They don't deserve him if they are putting Ledley King in instead of him. Its an insult.

Aside from that. With the amonunt of fixtures the pool have very season, I'm glad he's going to be getting a break every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry says the striker's arrival persuaded manager Rafa Benitez to stay. (People)

Link

I don't know if he did say this for sure? It sounds typical of him, and an awful thing to say, there was no reason to let on that Rafa was considering leaving, what benefit to saying so??

I really find the guy a liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6281704.stm

he wants to be Peter Kenyon it seems as he loves to be in the spotlight aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

this constant never ending "yadda yadda (insert signing or situation) convinced or persuaded rafa to stay" bollox is really wearing thin with me at this stage.

my god, just let the dude leave if he seems so intent on it ffs. there are other men out there that would kill to manage a club like liverpool, its not like the club will struggle to attract another manager. this **** demeans liverpool as a club and doesnt do anything for rafas reputation amongst the fans.

parry should be neither seen nor heard. bitching about loans when macherano is on the books in one of the most perculiar loans in world football. just shut up and get on with bringing in the players rafa has asked for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is great news:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=475741&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=4163&title=Reds+plan+bigger+stadium&channel=&
    Hicks admitted the new plans could see Liverpool's new home go close to 80,000 capacity to make it the biggest club stadium in Britain.

"The city council's planners will receive the final plans on July 25," Hicks told the Sunday Mirror.

"The initial capacity will be the 60,000 previously approved, but the design will accommodate an eventual capacity in the high seventies."

Building a stadium with a lesser capacity than what is offered by Old Trafford was literally cementing in stone the difference in financial clout between ManU and Liverpool. If we are going to compete, we need to at least equal them in every area. Ticket sales are a massive revenue source.

As for Parry, who cares what he is saying. The rumours of Rafa leaving were only a few weeks ago so it proves that the Torres deal was done pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Parry's on the out, cant blame him for trying to get his face in the papers.

We were linked with Quaresma in the BBC Rumour mill this morning. Hope there's some movement on this during the week.

I don't think Parry has the tact or skills for the position he holds.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sky sports reporting that Lyon say Malouda is gone to chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Whats all this im hearing about quaresma... That would be great.

copacetic wrote:
    sky sports reporting that Lyon say Malouda is gone to chelsea
    Ya, they've agreed a fee. Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Kanney wrote:
    Whats all this im hearing about quaresma... That would be great.

A load of speculation based from an article in the Times someday last week and very little of any substance or credibility since. Indications are that he's joining Atletico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Atletico seem to be getting sick of Porto's carry-on over the Quaresma transfer Source. I'd love to see Babel and Quaresma joining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I still think Quaresma is a bit of a dancer. I'd prefer someone more direct, more no-nonsense.

I've never seen Babel play, or at least I don't remember him. Sounds a bit like one for the future again.

What's striking me a bit is that we are signing a good few players still with one foot in the youth / u21 systems (like Pongolle and La tallec a few years ago). You take a risk now, they may be great (and certainly Lucas Leiva has far greater credentials than Pongolle or La Tallec had), and you've bought them at a nice price, then again they might never fulfill their promise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Do you think there is something wrong in the youth set up at liverpool since previous potential players failed to get into the first team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

But you have to buy young and hope for the best.

United wouldn't be where they are today unless they had bought Ronaldo and put their faith in him. We are doing the same now with Anderson and Nani, and hoping they become top top top class players. It's the only way you can compete with Chelsea

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Liverpool’s First 14 Fixtures (home games in Bold)

August 2007
    11 Aug, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Aston Villa 17.15 Setanta
    15 Aug, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs West Ham United 19.45 Postponed
    19 Aug, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Chelsea 16.00 Sky Sports
    25 Aug, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Sunderland 12.45 Sky Sports
    September 2007
    01 Sep, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Derby County 15.00 Setanta Ire
    15 Sep, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Portsmouth 12.45 Sky Sports
    22 Sep, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Birmingham City 15.00 Setanta Ire
    29 Sep, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Wigan Athletic 15.00 Setanta Ireland
    October 2007
    06 Oct, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Tottenham Hotspur 15.00
    20 Oct, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Everton 12.45 Sky Sports
    28 Oct, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Arsenal 16.00 Sky Sports
    November 2007

03 Nov, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Blackburn Rovers 17.15 Setanta
    10 Nov, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Fulham 17.15 Setanta
    24 Nov, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Newcastle United 12.45 Sky Sports

jank wrote:
    Do you think there is something wrong in the youth set up at liverpool since previous potential players failed to get into the first team?

Rafa certainly seemed to think so and remember he's got a lot of experience with younger players & reserves from his time at Real. And I don't think Ged was too impressed with it either. Maybe it had something to do with Heighway appearing not to be willing to listen to outside influences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Aquos76 wrote:
    Liverpool’s First 14 Fixtures (home games in Bold)

August 2007
    11 Aug, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Aston Villa 17.15 Setanta
    15 Aug, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs West Ham United 19.45 Postponed
    19 Aug, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Chelsea 16.00 Sky Sports
    25 Aug, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Sunderland 12.45 Sky Sports
    September 2007
    01 Sep, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Derby County 15.00 Setanta Ire
    15 Sep, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Portsmouth 12.45 Sky Sports
    22 Sep, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Birmingham City 15.00 Setanta Ire
    29 Sep, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Wigan Athletic 15.00 Setanta Ireland
    October 2007
    06 Oct, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Tottenham Hotspur 15.00
    20 Oct, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Everton 12.45 Sky Sports
    28 Oct, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Arsenal 16.00 Sky Sports
    November 2007

03 Nov, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Blackburn Rovers 17.15 Setanta
    10 Nov, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Fulham 17.15 Setanta
    24 Nov, 2007 Barclays Premiership Liverpool Vs Newcastle United 12.45 Sky Sports

Looks like were getting our moneys worth with 12 outta 13 games scheduled are live!!worth every cent!!!

Also proves liverpool are obviously a ratings winner even more so than man utd and definitly arsenal and chelsea :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

jank wrote:

Yes and no. Some players just don't develop like they're expected to. Other times its just that they play in a position where they're up against two full internationals, so they amount of chances they get is always going to be minimal.

Other times though, its just the manager not having faith in them. Houllier was very bad for that (eg Biscan playing right midfield instead of partridge). Rafa hasn't been all that keen to give them chances either. If you look at the players who beat Spurs in the coke-cola (or whatever it was called that year) in 2005 when spurs put out a close to first team choice, most of them have been sold on.

Something is been done about it though. They're in the process of loaning out a lot of reserve players this summer. It can only be good for them, but I just wish they'd gone to a higher level than Swansea and Hartlepool. If they're not good enough to get regular first team places in championship teams, then they're just not good enough.

• Advertisement

Stky10 wrote:
    If they're not good enough to get regular first team places in championship teams, then they're just not good enough.

That really depends on the player and how far they've progressed. Some could prob go to championship teams now but others might not be as advanced so may not be guaranteed to get games at championship clubs. Drop them down another division and they prob have a better chance of getting to play every week which is what they need.

Bascombe's back..
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=reds-hunt-%2D10m-babel%26method=full%26objectid=19428540%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

In for Babel for defo according to him.

Also of interest - we only paid 18m for Torres according to him (that amount seems to drop with every article I read), getting 8m for each of Cisse & Bellamy, 5m for FSP & Garcia (combined) and 3.5 for Gonzalez. All of which suggests we've spent sfa so far this summer.

^ Was just about to post it. Nice to see Chris back his info is almost always dead on.
    But still I don't have a clue about Babel, never seen him play. Must youtube him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

If we could get Babel, Mancini and Benayoun (sp.) tied up we'd be making great progress. Would also probably leave a bit of cash for one or two non-essential players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I know Gonzalez didnt have a brilliant season, but as one of the few who expected him to fail, I thought he showed plenty of signs of promise, and I think Betis are getting a bargain in landing him at £3.5m.

If Rafa really wants Yossi, then he should just pay the £6m. But perhaps he's third choice behind Quaresma and Babel, and we're only looking for two. It would see Mancini and Simao are out of the running now for whatever reasons.

• Advertisement

Babel looks like he has a lot of pace. I don't know if he'd have the strength though, but then again Wenger was considering him so he has to be good! ;)

I know Gonzalez didnt have a brilliant season, but as one of the few who expected him to fail, I thought he showed plenty of signs of promise, and I think Betis are getting a bargain in landing him at £3.5m.

I can't help but wonder if there's something else going on here. It's not unusual for foreign players to need an extra season to settle into the english game but he's not being given that. Perhaps Rafa reckons he'll never cut it, he's never settled, they've had a run in or .... Just a bit odd to get rid off him so quickly given the lengths he went to to sign him.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

I was really impressed by babel in the U21 final against Serbia last month. He was man of the match by some distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Waster wrote:
    I was really impressed by babel in the U21 final against Serbia last month. He was man of the match by some distance.
    I watched all the Dutch games and most of the other games as well and in my opinion he was the outstanding player in the whole tournament. This would be a really good signing by Rafa. And I have been in contact with my cousin who is Arsenal mad and he claimed that there was a real buzz amongst Arsenal supporters about the possibility of signing him. Hopefully we can get him on board before the club goes on it's travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

zing wrote:
    I can't help but wonder if there's something else going on here. It's not unusual for foreign players to need an extra season to settle into the english game but he's not being given that. Perhaps Rafa reckons he'll never cut it, he's never settled, they've had a run in or .... Just a bit odd to get rid off him so quickly given the lengths he went to to sign him.

Well we have seen rafa do the same with others such as Josemi, kronkamp, Nunez and Pellegrino. He's doing the same with Bellamy this year too. Its actually one of the things I like about Rafa. He gives people there chance and if they dont preform to his liking its adiòs. Houllier allowed too many underpreform and then wouldn't ship them on. Rafa just says good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

think Babel would be a great signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

yom 1 wrote:
    Well we have seen rafa do the same with others such as Josemi, kronkamp, Nunez and Pellegrino. He's doing the same with Bellamy this year too. Its actually one of the things I like about Rafa. He gives people there chance and if they dont preform to his liking its adiòs. Houllier allowed too many underpreform and then wouldn't ship them on. Rafa just says good luck.
    Josemi was a stopgap backup for Finnan after Steves poor first season at Liverpool. Nunez was a makeweight, and Pellegrino was brought over to assist with the defensive system Rafa was implementing, provide backup and help younger players.

Gonzalez has the rep as a playboy, so I reckon he's being dumped, similar with Bellamy. We need players with good character as well as ability.

Babel could be a genuine target, or to speed things up with other transfer negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

zabbo wrote:
    Josemi was a stopgap backup for Finnan after Steves poor first season at Liverpool. Nunez was a makeweight, and Pellegrino was brought over to assist with the defensive system Rafa was implementing, provide backup and help younger players.

Thats a fair enough point, but if any worked out in the time they were here they would have been kept. They didnt so they were shipped out.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

lpool2k05 wrote:
    Also proves liverpool are obviously a ratings winner even more so than man utd and definitly arsenal and chelsea :)

How do you maintain "even more so than Man U" Man Utd also have 12 games down to be shown LIVE. Actually they had 13 if you were to include the everton game which has been changed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement