Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I wouldn't nescessarily agree.

Reina/Carson
    Finnan--Carra---Agger
    Aurelio/Riise

Gerrard/
    Alonso/Mascherano---Riise/
    Pennant/
    Gerrard/Lucas----Aurelio/
    Benayoun.
    Babel/Kewell

Kuyt/Torres/Babel

Crouch/Voronin

In my humble opinion if the above team performs,it is more than capable of winning the league.

I know Babel ain't a done deal, but i'm just working on the basis that we'll be bringing in someone of that quality. Cover for centre back brought in and i'd be happy.

What exactly is that supposed to be ? I said that it would improve the bench not the first 11. You seem to have posted the whole squad. What first 11 do you see us lining up with next season ?

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher----Agger
    Riise

Gerrard
    Mashercano---Alonso
    Kewell

Torres
    Kuyt

Thats surely the most likely starting formation. If we play 4-5-1 it will be Gerrard in the middle with Pennant on the right and Kuyt dropped. Do you disagree ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Tusky wrote:
    Yeah...so far Torres is the only signing that will actually change the first 11. Bamel, Benayoun, Veronin & Lucas certainly improve the bench but thats not we need!
    The best midfield will presumably be Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano and one other. That other spot is totally up for grabs between Pennant, Kewell, Benayoun and Babel (if he comes). If all 4 stay injury free I would guess each would start more than 10 and no more than 20 premiership starts this season. In any event the "first 11" will rarely be the same given injuries and rotation.

Voronin will also get a share of Premiership starts. Fowler got 6 last year, so Voronin will get a least that many. Not sure about how much we'll see of Lucas, hopefully he'll get opportunities.

The best midfield will presumably be Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano and one other. That other spot is totally up for grabs between Pennant, Kewell, Benayoun and Babel (if he comes). If all 4 stay injury free I would guess each would start more than 10 and no more than 20 premiership starts this season. In any event the "first 11" will rarely be the same given injuries and rotation.

Voronin will also get a share of Premiership starts. Fowler got 6 last year, so Voronin will get a least that many. Not sure about how much we'll see of Lucas, hopefully he'll get opportunities.

Well I cant see him playing Pennant on the left ahead of Kewell or Babel. It remains to be seen if Babel is ready to make the LW position his own but from what Ive read it that doesnt seem to be the case. Im pretty sure the formation I posted above is our strongest even if Babel signs. I was hoping for a winger that could walk into the first 11.

I still think Babel is an exciting signing though and am looking forward to watching him play. In regards to Lucas, Rafa has said that he feels he is ready to play in the first team from the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

In any event the "first 11" will rarely be the same given injuries and rotation.

Exactly - we don't have a first 11 or a fixed formation and probably never will under Rafa so I just don't see the point in talk about first 11s & formations - but indulge yourselves if it keeps you happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tusky wrote:
    What exactly is that supposed to be ? I said that it would improve the bench not the first 11. You seem to have posted the whole squad. What first 11 do you see us lining up with next season ?

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher----Agger
    Riise

Gerrard
    Mashercano---Alonso
    Kewell

Torres
    Kuyt

Thats surely the most likely starting formation. If we play 4-5-1 it will be Gerrard in the middle with Pennant on the right and Kuyt dropped. Do you disagree ?

that was meant to be the different variations of a starting 11 we will have next year. One thing we can all guaruntee is that Rafa will not stick to one starting 11, so felt it more relevant to post the different teams that will be starting.

My choice for a starting 11 would probably be,
    Reina
    Finnan
    Agger
    Carragher
    Aurelio (if his form is the same as before he got injured)
    Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Alonso
    Kewell/Pennant/Riise/Babel or whoever/Benayoun -
    not sure which of these to pick,suppose it would depend on form
    Torres
    Kuyt/Crouch (depending on form/opposition)

And my point was simply, That team is strong enough to beat anyone, with hopefully enough depth to maintain a year long challenge.

utch star Ryan Babel on way as Yossi Benayoun completes Liverpool switch

Jul 11 2007 by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

RYAN Babel headed to Liverpool today to complete his move from Ajax as Yossi Benayoun became the latest addition to Rafa Benitez’s squad.

On another highly successful day of negotiating for chief executive Rick Parry, the Reds agreed deals with West Ham and were given permission by Ajax to discuss terms with Babel.

The 20-year-old Dutch forward will meet Anfield officials and prepare to undergo a medical at Melwood while Liverpool look to close the deal.

Benayoun also concludes the formalities of his switch from Upton Park today. The fee for Benayoun is reported as £5m, but officially both clubs have agreed to keep the figure undisclosed.

Chief executive Parry said today: “We’ve agreed the fee with West Ham for Yossi Benayoun. We’re not quite there with Ryan Babel yet, but we’ve now been given permission by Ajax to talk to the player. We hope to reach an agreement with Ajax very shortly.”

The Reds are expecting to pay around £10m for the youngster.

Benitez was in buoyant mood as another crucial part of his summer rebuilding plans neared conclusion.

The Spanish boss believes Benayoun can fill the gap in the squad vacated by the recently departed Luis Garcia.

“They are similar,” agreed Benitez.

“Maybe Luis is a player who scores more goals and Benayoun tends to make more assists. Like Luis, he is a very technical, clever player with a lot of game intelligence. He can also play in many positions, giving us a different option for the team.

“I first saw him play for Racing Santander in La Liga when he was a really good player, but when he first came to England we were watching to be sure he could adapt to a different style of football.

“It’s clear he’s done this very well at West Ham. Liverpool fans will remember how he played in the FA Cup Final against us when he was outstanding. We thought then this was a player who is capable of stepping up to a higher level.”

As with recent signing Fernando Torres, Benitez says Benayoun’s determination to move to Anfield was a key factor in the Reds sustaining their interest.

“He was offered a big new contract at West Ham and received offers from a lot of other clubs offering him more money,” explained Benitez.

“But Yossi’s message was always the same. He said he was desperate to only join Liverpool because this was his dream. When Rick, the Americans and I spoke about the player, we all agreed this is the kind of attitude we and our supporters really like.

“When you have quality players with his ability showing so much passion to play for your club, it’s really good for the team.”

Benitez will be hoping all three of his most recent recruits could be involved in their first training session today.

However, Torres is still nursing a slight injury so his introduction may be delayed.

“Fernando has returned to Liverpool now and we hope he can join training, but we must check his ankle,” explained Benitez. “It’s not a serious injury but we will be careful.”

that was meant to be the different variations of a starting 11 we will have next year. One thing we can all guaruntee is that Rafa will not stick to one starting 11, so felt it more relevant to post the different teams that will be starting.

My choice for a starting 11 would probably be,
    Reina
    Finnan
    Agger
    Carragher
    Aurelio (if his form is the same as before he got injured)
    Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Alonso
    Kewell/Pennant/Riise/Babel or whoever/Benayoun -
    not sure which of these to pick,suppose it would depend on form
    Torres
    Kuyt/Crouch (depending on form/opposition)

And my point was simply, That team is strong enough to beat anyone, with hopefully enough depth to maintain a year long challenge.

I understand your point. To explain myself : I know that rafa likes to rotate and will change players and formations depending on who we play BUT you can't argue that over the last season or two there has been a spine to the team that has been pretty much unchanged. There are players that will always be on the team sheet, specially for important games.

Reina
    Finnan
    Carragher
    Agger
    Mascherano (I believe he will continue to be one of these players next year, ousting Sissoko to some extent )
    Gerrard
    Kuyt
    Torres ( Its a safe bet to assume he will start most games )

I was hoping for a winger that would be a similiar player to those above. Somebody who would walk into the first 11 for the vast majority of matches. I dont see that in Babel or Benayoun and thats why I was a little disappointed! However, Im not writing Babel off yet as I havent even seen him play much. Maybe he will surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I am getting the prices from the setanta website and the LFc website. The full setanta package for me is £9.99 a month. I can get my setanta subscription on my freeview box which means it does not come in on top of any other subscription service. Or I can take it on my sky subscription, not sure which way I will go TBH but that's not whats important here, so again, £9.99 * 8 months of a season = £80 (well just under but I will donate the 8p to charity or somesuch), live games (meaning I will not go to the pub to watch and spend money on drinks), live action from other sporting events too (including the championship I believe that I do not get to see much of), PGA golf, Aussie rules rugby and more.

Still seems like good value to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Do people think the addition of Torres, Babel and Benayoun is going to improve Liverpools squad to the tune of 20 points? I don't think Rafa is anywhere near done in the transfer market yet

PHB: Did you think the addition of Carrick & Vidic was gonna improve Utds points tally as much as it did?

Liverpool should have done much better than they did last year and with the additions made to the squad already they should be on the road to cutting that points gap quite signifigently

PHB: Did you think the addition of Carrick & Vidic was gonna improve Utds points tally as much as it did?

I knew Carrick would make a difference, but United didn't win because of just because those additions (Vidic was the winter before, as was Evra), it was because Vidic, Evra, and Ronaldo all vastly improved from the season before. Also we had Scholes coming back from injury.
    Liverpool should have done much better than they did last year

Why? Who can we expect drastic improvements from on the scale of say Ronaldo or Vidic last season?

I still think, and I think Rafa thinks, that you need another CB for sure, and also another attacker, either a winger or a striker.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Do people think the addition of Torres, Babel and Benayoun is going to improve Liverpools squad to the tune of 20 points? I don't think Rafa is anywhere near done in the transfer market yet

Nope and I'd be disappointed if he was finished with transfers tbh. Still think we need at least another quality CB and a proven winger.

A CB is very important imo - with Paletta expected to go on loan there's only really Agger, Carra & Hypia to play week in week out and it's fair to assume Hypia won't feature all that much given his age. An injury to one could be devastating - sure there's the likes of Arbeloa who could potentially provide cover but I'd be happier with another proven player competing for a place. Ideally that player should potentially also be able to play RB.

but I'd be happier with another proven player competing for a place. Ideally that player should potentially also be able to play RB.

I think Liverpool need a player like Gallas or O'Shea or somebody who can play across the back four at a fairly decent level, especially because if you don't, it really limits your attacking sub options, as you need to use 2 spots for defenders rather than one. There seems to be no point in getting another CB as Rafa seems to want to let Agger play and develop into a top class player, so another CB isn't a huge amount of use, but a squad player across the back four would be a great addition. Neil would have been good, but alas, he's a mercenary.

Cheecky bid for Gallas anyone?

PHB wrote:
    I knew Carrick would make a difference, but United didn't win because of just because those additions (Vidic was the winter before, as was Evra), it was because Vidic, Evra, and Ronaldo all vastly improved from the season before. Also we had Scholes coming back from injury.

Why? Who can we expect drastic improvements from on the scale of say Ronaldo or Vidic last season?

I still think, and I think Rafa thinks, that you need another CB for sure, and also another attacker, either a winger or a striker.

I agree with you PHB. I think all of Rafas buy are good additions to the squad but only I feel only Torres will seriously improve the first 11. I would like cover at Cb and another top quality winger. With the arrival of Benayoun & Babel our NET outlay this summer is only about 15M so its perfectly possible that rafa will still sign Simao, Manchini, Queresma or simliar. In regards to strikers ? I think we are more than sorted.

Torres
    Kuyt
    Crouch
    Veronin
    Babel

Benayoun & Kewell can play as second strikers too.

Benayoun official - http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156348070711-1214.htm

PHB wrote:

i expect vast improvements in the form of Kuyt (Torres arriving and freeing him up somewhat). Aurelio i expect to play a big part. An upturn in Alonsos form would lift the team dramatically also. with Mascherano arriving making the team much more solid.and a fully fit Kewell looking the best he has in years. these things will make a dramatic improvement and its not even taking into account the part Torres/Benayoun/Babel will play.

So yes i expect drastic improvements on the scale of Ronaldo/Vidic.

Do you think these kind of improvements are only possibly for Utd players? get a grip mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

I reckon that if pennant makes good progression as he did last season he could turn into a proper winger (i.e better ball control and crossing) he has all the attributes (well pace) if he learns the two he could easily do well.

PHB: yeah, a cheeky bid for Gallas would be sweet ;)

Tusky wrote:
    I agree with you PHB. I think all of Rafas buy are good additions to the squad but only I feel only Torres will seriously improve the first 11.

I really dont get what you're talking about when you say you want serious improvement on the first XI. Our first XI isnt a problem, especially now that Torres is here. Our problem is making sure we have a good team for every Premier League game. Our new signings so far should ensure that is the case (the players in seem to be an improvment on the players out), plus hopefully Kewell will play a few games this year so he'll be like a new signing.

The only area I see where we definitely need improvement is cover for CB.

Michael Collins has signed his first professional contract with Liverpool after turning 17.

Collins, a skilful striker who plays for Republic of Ireland Under-17s, will begin his two-year contract at the Academy.

Academy manager John Owens said:
    Michael Collins is a skilful, clever striker who's been with us for a year. He's had to bide his time because there's been older strikers ahead of him, but he'll be hopeful of making more of an impact this year.

Danish keeper Martin Hansen also signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I think Liverpool need a player like Gallas or O'Shea ...

Say what now? Gallas maybe but JoS? No thanks.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    I still think, and I think Rafa thinks, that you need another CB for sure
    PHB wrote:
    so another CB isn't a huge amount of use

In 4 minutes you change your mind from we need a CB to we don't really need one after all ?

Yes Rafa clearly wants Agger to continue to develop and I'd say having to compete for a spot again would actually help him more than it would hinder him. There's a lot of games over the season and I don't think we can rely on just Agger & Carra for them all. You're also forgetting Rafa's favourite word - rotate, rotate, rotate..

Arbeloa can play across the back 4 but I've only seen him as a full back so far. He's impressed a lot in a few games (e.g. Barca x 2 & Arsenal iirc) but did sfa in a few others late in the season so the jury is still very much out on him.

Another versatile player across the back woudn't help but I'd rather a proven center back.

Also on the left we've the likes of Riise & Aurelio who can play either full back or on the wing - we don't really have that on the right (apart from Arbeloa) so someone along the lines of Alves would be a welcome addition there.

zing wrote:
    In 4 minutes you change your mind from we need a CB to we don't really need one after all ?

I reconsidered based on somebody elses point, a utility player who can play as CB would be more use than a CB, even though personally I think Agger isn't good enough yet for a title challenge as first choice CB.
    Yes Rafa clearly wants Agger to continue to develop and I'd say having to compete for a spot again would actually help him more than it would hinder him.

The more young players play, the more they will develop. Agger will develop much more if he can play every game next season rather than compete for a spot.
    i expect vast improvements in the form of Kuyt (Torres arriving and freeing him up somewhat). Aurelio i expect to play a big part. An upturn in Alonsos form would lift the team dramatically also. with Mascherano arriving making the team much more solid.and a fully fit Kewell looking the best he has in years. these things will make a dramatic improvement and its not even taking into account the part Torres/Benayoun/Babel will play.

So yes i expect drastic improvements on the scale of Ronaldo/Vidic.

Do you think these kind of improvements are only possibly for Utd players? get a grip mate.

I never suggested they were.

You gotta ask yourself why United changed so much last season, and those players specifically.
    Evra and Vidic came in the previous winter and were still adjusting to life in the league.
    Ronaldo had been developing as a player, but that wasn't just why he raised his game so much. His change was largely to do with the selling of Ruud, the replacement with Saha, and the changing of United's style of play drastically.

Liverpool haven't done much to change their style of play as far as I can see, no major players being sold, just the players who didn't perform.
    If I was being very optimistic, you could say that,
    Aurelio and Kuyt might still be adjusting to the English game, but I think Kuyt has reached near the levels he is going to reach(which aren't too bad at all). To suggest that he was limited by Crouch/Bellamy is kinda hopeful. I think this argument could be best made about Gonzalez, but Rafa seems to want to get rid of him.
    Alonso might raise his game again, but you gotta ask yourself why his game dropped so much last season, and whether or not something has changed to fix that? I certainly can't see anything to suggest it has.
    Mascherano played for the second half of last season and we didn't see a huge improvement. There's only so many central midfielders you can play, and since Rafa seems intent on getting at least two or three new wingers, I'd be surprised if he wasn't planning on a 4-4-2 for most of the league season.
    Kewell is never going to reach the heights he reached for Leeds, I don't know what happened to him, but he has been just too unfortunate with injuries to ever get back to his old heights.
    Also add that Liverpool were very lucky with injuries didn't get many injuries last season to any of their key players, and you gotta ask yourself, if Carragher or Torres get injured next season for any substantial period, do you think the team could hack it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Really hope the spending isn't over after Babel and Yossi.

I want to see a top winger. Mainly Quaresma or Mancini, exciting players who can do the unpredictable and will give us a creative outlet other than Gerrard or Alonso.

I really dont get what you're talking about when you say you want serious improvement on the first XI. Our first XI isnt a problem, especially now that Torres is here. Our problem is making sure we have a good team for every Premier League game. Our new signings so far should ensure that is the case (the players in seem to be an improvment on the players out), plus hopefully Kewell will play a few games this year so he'll be like a new signing.

The only area I see where we definitely need improvement is cover for CB.

Its really not that hard to understand. We have bought the following

Torres
    Benayoun
    Babel
    Lucas
    Veronin

I think they are all good signings but apart from Torres, I think they will spend more time on the bench than on the pitch. They have boosted the squad, but not necessarily the starting 11. I don't think we will see Veronin, Benayoun or Lucas start a massive amount of games. I don't know enough about Babel to comment. I would have preferred if we bought someone who would become an integral part of the first team and would walk into the starting 11. Can you not see where I am coming from at all ?

Our MAJOR problem last season was scoring goals from midfield. I dont think that has been properly addressed yet.

I reconsidered based on somebody elses point, a utility player who can play as CB would be more use than a CB, even though personally I think Agger isn't good enough yet for a title challenge as first choice CB.

You obviously havent didnt many Liverpool games last season then. Agger is top quality and is improving all the time. I think hes absolutely class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I still think, and it's an issue that's been discussed to death, that Liverpool's problem is that their best players don't complement each other. Torres is obviously a great addition to the squad, but aside from him and Carragher, your three potential best players - Gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso - do not work together. Rafa might be able to accommodate them in a 4-5-1, though I don't know how that would affect the performances of Gerrard and Torres, but based on who he's buying that doesn't seem likely. Surely it can't be that Crouch, Torres, Kuyt, Voronin and Babel (3 of whom have come in this summer) will all be fighting for one place - a fight that Torres is clearly going to win, unless he flops?

Liverpool, at the moment, do not have wingers good enough to maintain first choice in a title challenging side IMO. Kewell, Pennant, Gonzalez (who's leaving anyway) - not good enough. A Barcelona-style 4-3-3 might work, something like...

Kuyt
    --Torres
    Voronin/new signing
    Gerrard
    --Alonso
    Mascherano

...but it might not. If I was trying to read Rafa's mind, it would seem like 4-4-2 next season, with Gerrard again on the right (Gerrard will always be starting XI, one of Masch/Momo has to start, and I can't see Rafa dropping Alonso). This, IMO, would mean another leagueless season for LFC. If I was a pool fan, I'd be hoping for him to sign a big name winger - someone like Malouda, Robben or Quaresma - and that he goes for a United style (well, maybe a United style) 6 defensive players/4 attacking players in front doing whatever the hell they want. Whatever Rafa's plans - even if he decides to risk Gonzalez again - I think he needs a decent winger, even more than a CB (though a long-term injury to Carragher could really **** things up), and if he doesn't get one I think we'll have another season of Andy Gray constantly harping on about how Gerrard should play in the centre. Nobody wants that.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote:
    Its really not that hard to understand. We have bought the following

Torres
    Benayoun
    Babel
    Lucas
    Veronin

I think they are all good signings but apart from Torres, I think they will spend more time on the bench than on the pitch. They have boosted the squad, but not necessarily the starting 11. I don't think we will see Veronin, Benayoun or Lucas start a massive amount of games. I don't know enough about Babel to comment. I would have preferred if we bought someone who would become an integral part of the first team and would walk into the starting 11. Can you not see where I am coming from at all ?
    So who would you drop from the starting XI to accommodate this new player? Presumably Kewell (based on the team you put up earlier). I'd bet on both Benayoun and Babel playing as often as Kewell next season. Our midfield will always be rotated, especially the 4th position, but even Gerrard, Alonso and Mascho wont start every game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i think babel should be starting as many games as possible. hes gonna cost enough money and personally i dont give a sh1t if hes @raw@. C.Ronaldo was raw, so was Van Persie. i say play him, he'll be better then kewell and he'll get the experience young players need to progress. if he's hit and miss for a while, grand.. ronaldo was hit and miss (eamonn dunphy says mostly miss, but he is also blind to blaringly obvious facts.. or just ignorant of them). but ronaldo turned out good in the end. i dont want to see 13m sitting on the bench and getting a run around for 15 minutes every week.

i like the idea of a 4-3-3 though.

Crouch
    --Babel
    Torres
    Gerrard
    -Mascherano
    Alonso

problem is torres isnt a winger :/
    i want to see him playing where he feels most comfortable, like rooney at man utd. that means i want to see him up fron just behind the target man.. his natural posistion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Tom hicks on sky sports news say theres at least one transfer on top of babel and benayuon. Said by presenters, the fact that he knows about it means its probably a big one.

Hicks just interviewed on SSN. Nothing too interesting in it apart from maybe one more signing. Now I'd expect that to be one more significant signing as we know Rafa has been signed a lot of players so far this season but most of them have been youth or up & coming types. Possibly a bit more to recoup but nothing significant

Stadium to be unveiled on July 25th - a very contemporary design apparently. Eventual capacity to be in the mid to high 70k region

EDIT: Oh - and they're hiring a commercial director which could be announced within the next week.

So who would you drop from the starting XI to accommodate this new player? Presumably Kewell (based on the team you put up earlier). I'd bet on both Benayoun and Babel playing as often as Kewell next season. Our midfield will always be rotated, especially the 4th position, but even Gerrard, Alonso and Mascho wont start every game.

Id like a top quality winger that can play on both wings & can score goals. If we play 4-4-2 he can play on the left instead of Kewell. If we play 4-5-1 he can play on the right instead of Pennant. We scored something like half the ammount of goals from midfield that utd & Chelsea did last season, that needs to be addressed!

I still have faith in Kewell surprising us all though. I seriously doubt Benayoun will get played as much as him though. Hes a right winger/in the hole player. Gerrard & Pennant are ahead of him on right wing. Babel can use both feet so he may feature on the right as well. Torres will most likely play in the hole from time to time too.

New signing :
    Has gotta be a defender, surely ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Tusky wrote:
    New signing : Has gotta be a defender, surely ?

Dunno.. could be that Insua and/or Hobbs are going to get games. Could also be that they'll pick up a CB like Pavon of Real on a Bosman, and Hicks was referring to transfer fees being paid.

He seemed pretty unwilling to get into exact specifics on any issue, so its hard to say.

Stky10 wrote:
    Dunno.. could be that Insua and/or Hobbs are going to get games. Could also be that they'll pick up a CB like Pavon of Real on a Bosman, and Hicks was referring to transfer fees being paid.

He seemed pretty unwilling to get into exact specifics on any issue, so its hard to say.

That would be preferable. I think if it was a winger the most likely candidate would be Simao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

or we could go back with a beefed up offer for Mancini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think Rafa has learnt his lesson for changing his formations too much and team selection so I think he will pretty much try to stick to the same team or 11 in the Prem League. I think the FA Cup and League Cup will take a back seat this year and he will probably play a very much different team for them with the CL given more importance.

I think the PL team will mainly consist of

Reina
    Finnan
    Carra
    Agger
    Riise/Aurelio
    Pennant/Yossi---Gerrard--Masch---Kewell/Yossi
    Torres
    Kuyt

Expect to see Alonso more used in Europe or maybe playing 4-5-1 at times with Crouch up front.

The FA & league Cup teams will feature the fringe players more than this 11 or 12, but he will want to keep consistency in the league

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I think Rafa has learnt his lesson for changing his formations too much and team selection so I think he will pretty much try to stick to the same team or 11 in the Prem League. I think the FA Cup and League Cup will take a back seat this year and he will probably play a very much different team for them with the CL given more importance.

I think the PL team will mainly consist of

Reina
    Finnan
    Carra
    Agger
    Riise/Aurelio
    Pennant/Yossi---Gerrard--Masch---Kewell/Yossi
    Torres
    Kuyt

Expect to see Alonso more used in Europe or maybe playing 4-5-1 at times with Crouch up front.

The FA & league Cup teams will feature the fringe players more than this 11 or 12, but he will want to keep consistency in the league

I think you're wrong. Firstly, Alonso is joint second highest earner at Liverpool. Im pretty sure he will start the majority of premier league games. Mascherano & Alonso in the middle with Gerrard on the right. Secondly, I could be wrong but Ive never seen Yossi play on the left, surely Babel will take that place changing with Kewell from time to time.

Reina

Finnan---Carragher---Agger---Riise/Aurelio

Gerrard--Alonso--Mascherano--Kewell/Babel

Torres--Kuyt/Crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I see on goal.com that chelsea have reportedly offered upto 30m euros for Alves. If they get both him and Malouda here's hoping they are both failures for them next season ala Shevchenko and Ballack.

Yey, 600 posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Malouda should do well, me thinks, although is he or Alves as good as Robben - hard task!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i cant even take a guess at what the starting 11 or formation will be next season but in rafa we trust!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote:
    Evra and Vidic came in the previous winter and were still adjusting to life in the league.

i thought u always said if a player was good enough they wouldnt need time to settle ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Reserve fixtures announced for anyone interested

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156345070711-1205.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Liverpool TV Finally Confirmed for September.
    Liverpool have announced they will launch their own TV channel in September.
    The club have agreed a three year deal with Setanta Sports and LFC TV will be available as part of a nine channel Setanta Sports package.
    Chief Executive Rick Parry is excited about the development and told the clubs official site:
    'We've been thinking about this for some time, but until Setanta came to us with an extremely attractive offer, I wasn't entirely convinced by the traditional model of club TV stations.'
    'What's attractive about this package is it's available to all subscribers. The channel is effectively a free addition on top of what's available as part of the Setanta Sports pack.
    'The channel heralds a new era for Liverpool Football Club. We always welcome the opportunity to engage with our fantastic fan-base and LFC TV will bring them closer to the club and the team they love, at what is a very exciting time both on and off the pitch.'

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

went on holidays and didnt check any websites or sky sorts news,find out we signed torres,youssi,babel and all in 2 weeks.Check out this page again and its us liverpool fans moaning,im delighted with these signings,youssi can play wide right and is clever and technically gifted and babel looked really exciting in the under21's

On sky sports news now that Babel has passed medical and has agreed personal terms with Liverpool and fee for Yossi is stated as being £4M...defo happy with that price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This is good to hear...
    Liverpool co-chairman Tom Hicks says that he expects Rafael Benitez to make at least one more major signing once the deals for Ryan Babel and Yossi Benayoun are completed.

Interesting quote from Babel.

He said: "I've spoken to Rafa Benitez and that was when I knew everything would be signed. He has a clear vision of what he wants and said I'd be competing with six others for four positions in the forward line."

I presume this means he will play him on the left and sometimes up front ?

Who are the six others ? Kewell, Leto, Torres, Veronin, Crouch & Kuyt ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=467829&in_page_id=1779

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Tusky wrote:
    I think you're wrong. Firstly, Alonso is joint second highest earner at Liverpool. Im pretty sure he will start the majority of premier league games. Mascherano & Alonso in the middle with Gerrard on the right. Secondly, I could be wrong but Ive never seen Yossi play on the left, surely Babel will take that place changing with Kewell from time to time.

Reina

Finnan---Carragher---Agger---Riise/Aurelio

Gerrard--Alonso--Mascherano--Kewell/Babel

Torres--Kuyt/Crouch
    obviously Babel will now change things but I still think Rafa learnt that the team is better with Gerrard in the middle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Manchester United's Gabriel Heinze says he is flattered by Liverpool's interest in him but he will not make a decision until the Copa America is over. (Daily Star)

Liverpool have offered up to £4m for Manchester City midfielder Michael Johnson. (The Times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lex Luthor wrote:
    obviously Babel will now change things but I still think Rafa learnt that the team is better with Gerrard in the middle
    i reckon, if Babel is to get regular football, Liverpool will go 433.

Alonso and Mascherano as the holding midfielder, Gerrard given a free central role. Babel left forward (he is an inside forward rather then a winger) Torres on the right (his natural game does see him drift out wide) and either Kuyt or Crouch in the centre.

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Interesting comment. Conversely I think Rafa has realised the team is better with Gerrard playing in a freer role, whether that be on the right or as part of a centre midfield 3, or even on the left to give others a go on the right.

I would be shocked (injuries permitting) if Liverpool start any league game against the top 5 or any big European game with Gerrard as half of a 2 man central midfield. Mascho, Alonso and Stevie will play all the big games barring injuries or a serious loss of form.

New reserve coach appointed.
    I sense an axe hanging over Gary Ablett's head...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement