Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Tusky wrote:
    Veronin
    Its Voronin according to the LFC official website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

New reserve coach appointed.
    I sense an axe hanging over Gary Ablett's head...

Ablett is the reserve team manager - not the coach. iirc he's got a couple of coaches working under him. Same way Rafa has the likes of a 1st team coach, goalkeeping coach, fitness coach, etc.. under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Best of luck to Jerzy - you'll always be a Liverpool legend for Athens Istanbul.

Hope he does well at Real, Casillas can be flakey at times, so who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Best of luck to Jerzy - you'll always be a Liverpool legend for Athens.

Hope he does well at Real, Casillas can be flakey at times, so who knows.

he was a massive hero in Istanbul!!!what did he do in athens???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

lpool2k05 wrote:
    he was a massive hero in Istanbul!!!what did he do in athens???

yeah - meant istanbul, all these ancient civilization cities....

written by Dave Needham
    on Wed 11 Jul 07 at 17:07
    Ryan Babel, the Ajax and Dutch 20 year old winger has today passed a medical with Liverpool FC. The player arrived in the city late last night and undertook his medical at Melwood today.

Liverpool are expected to complete the deal for the player before the end of the week.

The reds are expected to pay around £8 million up front in a deal worth a potential £12 million dependant on appearances and bonuses.

The 20 year old plays on the left wing and places pressure on Harry Kewell. With Gabriel Heinze still one of Rafa’s targets - suggestions in the media are that Newcastle will attempt a move for John Arne Riise.

Babel has moved through the ranks at Ajax to the first team and has scored 14 times in 73 appearances for the first team.

Only last month the player took part in the Under-21 European Championships and was man of the match in the final - a game in which Holland beat Serbia 4-1, Babel scoring twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I would be gutted if we let Riise go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

ditto, at the very least he's a great squad player to have

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

Davei141 wrote:
    I would be gutted if we let Riise go.
    So would I, if only for that canon he has instead of a leg.

• Advertisement

Hammill off on loan again. Mustn't have liked the Scottish weather so trying to get as far away from it as he can

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/6895736.stm

Celtic wanted Hamill. Thats a good sign. Will he ever get a chance at Liverpool though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Lex Luthor wrote:
    obviously Babel will now change things but I still think Rafa learnt that the team is better with Gerrard in the middle

What are you basing it on ? Gerrard played on the right up until the end of last season. He played behind the strikers in the CL final and possibly (can't remember 100%) in the middle in the second leg against Chelsea and only a couple of other games in the middle. Im pretty sure he will play the majority of next season on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

zing wrote:
    Hammill off on loan again. Mustn't have liked the Scottish weather so trying to get as far away from it as he can

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/6895736.stm

Thats a great deal for him and us. He'll gain alot of experience there in a title challenging side. Hopefully he does well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Tusky wrote:
    What are you basing it on ? Gerrard played on the right up until the end of last season. He played behind the strikers in the CL final and possibly (can't remember 100%) in the middle in the second leg against Chelsea. Im pretty sure he will play the majority of next season on the right.

I would also be surprised to see Gerrard in the middle of a 442 in any games bar a few league games next season. Was he really that much improved in the Middle last year or was it more that Xavi had a bit of a dip in form?

He may be in the middle in a 451/433 formation more often next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

yom 1 wrote:
    Thats a great deal for him and us. He'll gain alot of experience there in a title challenging side. Hopefully he does well.

Its not just experience of playing in games. George Burley is a good manager. A year there should bring him along nicely.

Re Gerrard's position - it should be said that Mascherano will presumably need a rest after Copa America. Playing him too soon too often could have a heavy cost later in the season.

LFC TV have pictures of Torres in pre-season training
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156358070712-1125.htm

One slightly odd thing I noticed is that Voronin started off wearing number 10 (pic 6, he's behind Agger), but then changed into number 11 (pics 8 and 9). Might mean nothing, or it might mean Babel claimed the 10 jersey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

One slightly odd thing I noticed is that Voronin started off wearing number 10 (pic 6, he's behind Agger), but then changed into number 11 (pics 8 and 9). Might mean nothing, or it might mean Babel claimed the 10 jersey!

Thats some impressive number spotting:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It most certainly is, is that anorak of yours in the dry cleaners Rooster ? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Babel is officially a liverpool player reportedly a £11.5m fee.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2494255,00.html

Bit on the high side perhaps but looking at the general transfer rates this summer not a bad piece of business if he turns out to be a top player.

• Advertisement

11.5m fee finally agreed for Babel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6285040.stm

Just 2.5m short of our previous record signing for someone who sounds like a fairly raw up and coming talent.

me wrote:
    Babel is officially a liverpool player reportedly a £11.5m fee.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...494255,00.html

Bit on the high side perhaps but looking at the general transfer rates this summer not a bad piece of business if he turns out to be a top player.
    zing wrote:
    11.5m fee finally agreed for Babel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6285040.stm

Just 2.5m short of our previous record signing for someone who sounds like a fairly raw up and coming talent.

Guess that makes me an optimist and you a pesimist zing :D

marco_polo wrote:
    Guess that makes me an optimist and you a pesimist zing :D

Not pessimistic about him at all - quite the opposite. He does sound very promising. It's more about how times have changed and we can now afford to splash the cash on such players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

zing wrote:
    Not pessimistic about him at all - quite the opposite. He does sound very promising. It's more about how times have changed and we can now afford to splash the cash on such players

far as i was aware it was 8.5 rising to 11.5?

good piece of business either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Just another defender in maybe and that's that then.

far as i was aware it was 8.5 rising to 11.5?

good piece of business either way

That £11.5 I quoted was from football365 so they probably used a random number generator to come up with the figure. £8.5m looks much more likely.

In a world where D. Bent is worth 16m its a good piece of business alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

i love how in the space of 10-12 day's Liverpoolf fans have sudenly gone from 1 extreme to the next. All the talk of boardroom unrest and Rafa about to quit cause he wasn't gettin cash really seems like bull plop now.
    I am thrilled so far with some of the signing's made. Torres was a real coup and Babel is a player to watch out for. We now have a powerful threat upfront to get the goals we need. I can see Benayon getting quite a few games in the league especially at home as he has that little something for opening up a defence.

Looking forward to seeing him play. One thing that worries me is the fact that ajax fans don't seem bothered he is leaving and dont rate him v.highly. I havent heard any of them showering him with praise...

Most say he is very fast, with moments of skill but is inconsistent and a very bad finisher. They all see him as a striker as well. Really looking forward to next season either way.

Sky sports + Setanta = 90% of matches live & 100% of matches repeated on Liverpool FC tv :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Arsenal were interested in him aswell but baulked at the fee Ajax were putting him up for. 11.5 Million is a bit high alright

• Advertisement

rising to 11.5m

What is it up front? 8.5?

Not a player that will win the league for ya. Benayoun too but I thought Rafa was going to sign some world class players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

He did, his name is Torres, plus, by all accounts, there's more to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Marco Van Basten rated him above Romeo Castelen and Klaas Jan Huntelaar for the 2006 World Cup Squad, although I think he got a place due to Soloman Kalou not knowing about Tulips and Windmills (he failed his citizenship exam after declaring to play for Holland and not Ivory Coast)

So he was chosen to play on the right side, but has versatility to play either side or down the middle.

Torres is world class
    babel can be world class

who would you like us to sign? Kaka,messi,ronaldinho . . . that wat you expectin?!

yes think its 8.5 up front.

(or half an anderson or nani :))

Torres is world class
    babel can be world class

who would you like us to sign? Kaka,messi,ronaldinho . . . that wat you expectin?!

yes think its 8.5 up front.

Torres world class is debateable, its an arguement for another day,
    Babel may be world class someday but so could every promising young player.

Not saying anything bad about the kid but its the same ol same ol with rafa.
    Some of his signings are uninspiring
    He signs good players that will do a job, not great players that will win you the league

After these 2 are wraped up id say thats more or less it for them this summer.
    Would you be happy with that?

• Advertisement

If we got some cover at the back, yea i would.

As i said, who do you want him to sign? kaka? Messi? We aint Chelsea ya know! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

I personally have very high hopes for Babel, Ajax's academy churns out a lot of top class players and is one of the oldest and best academies around

I think hes a good singing but not the type of player we should be signing this season. I would rather the 11m from Babel and the 5m from Benayoun be put towards a world class winger for around 16m. We had bids turned down for Queresma, Malouda & Manchini for around 11-12m supposedly, why not up those bids? What happened to Simao aswell ?

As ive said before, Benayoun & Babel improve the squad but not the first 11. Maybe Babel will surprise us all and cement his place in the first team next season though...

but are Queresma,Malouda or Manchini or Simao world class either?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

jank wrote:
    After these 2 are wraped up id say thats more or less it for them this summer.
    Would you be happy with that?
    Why would you say that? Did you read through the posts over the last few days? One of them had Hicks alluding to AT LEAST one more signing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

what do ppl think liverpools starting 11 will be next season.will babel and benayoun be startersor is babel one for the future.
    .cud it be 4-5-1.
    finnan- carragher- agger- riise
    benayoun-alonso-masherno-babel
    -gerrard behind torres.

Well i reckon our strongest 4-4-2 lineup is easily...

Reina

Finnan     Carragher      Agger       Riise

Mascherano   Alonso 

Gerrard                                  Babel

Kuyt
                             Torres

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

SofaKing wrote:

Reina

Mascherano   Alonso 

Kuyt
                             Torres

I agree with that!! If nothing coming from up front then stick gerrard in for Kuyt and Benyoun on the right!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

SofaKing wrote:

Reina

Mascherano   Alonso 

Kuyt
                             Torres

Ah come on :| You can't be serious.

Babel hasn't kicked a ball in anger for Liverpool yet, never mind making it to the starting 11.

Until we see that he is top class, you would surely have to say that our strongest left hand side as things stand at the moment is Aurelio at the back and Riise on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

People really under-estimate Kewell. He can be a big part of the team. He's injury free so hopefully we'll see the Kewell of old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Reports on united forums that heinze is off to Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

spockety wrote:

Babel hasn't kicked a ball in anger for Liverpool yet, never mind making it to the starting 11.

Until we see that he is top class, you would surely have to say that our strongest left hand side as things stand at the moment is Aurelio at the back and Riise on the wing.

Torres hasn't kicked a ball for Liverpool either but we all assume that he will automatically get his game.

Before we broke our signing record with Torres, if they had spent 8-11 mil on a player he would definitely be expected to be a first teamer. I don't see why that should change now.

Although I've never even seen the guy play yet so he could be muck for all I know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

PHB wrote:
    Reports on united forums that heinze is off Liverpool
    How do you feel about that?

I know he's a bit of a legend at Utd but I can't really see him making the starting 11 and I doubt he'd be happy to warm the bench. I'm sure he could find another club where he'd be guaranteed a start?

On another note anyone think that Rafa seems to have hypnotic powers, once a player meets him they want to go to LFC :p

spockety wrote:

And break up our best back 4 and mean defence? I don't believe Aurelio has done enough yet to be considered a better defender ahead of Riise - of course given time, that could change.

Im tired of Kewell now. He's undoubtedly talented but the injuries just keep acoming...

We spend the guts of £10mil on a powerful higly-rated left-sided player - I say throw him in!

edit/ Of course if Heinze really does sign for 'Pool, that renders what ive said above moot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm always of the opinion that left full is a bit of a weak position for us defensivly. Riise is very good as a kind of wing back or a slightly defensive minded winger, but i think he is a bit weak as a proper left full. Heinze could be that player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement