Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher
    Agger
    Heinze

Mascherano/Sissokko---Alonso/Gerard

Pennant/Benayoun
    Riise/Kewell

Torres/Crouch
    Kuyt/Voronin

Subs: Lucas, Babel, Aurellio, Arbeloa, Carson

The subs are just a rough list of names. I could deal with that now, I must admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Torres interview with Balague
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/liverpool/article2067396.ece

Whole transfer kicked off initially when Rafa was on holidays the week after the CL final. Around the same time the press were all speculating that we'd no money blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I've seen a number of posters put Aurelio in their teams, I haven't seen him play all that much for us yet, seems that there is a lot of faith in him... did he impress this much?

The-Rigger wrote:
    I've seen a number of posters put Aurelio in their teams, I haven't seen him play all that much for us yet, seems that there is a lot of faith in him... did he impress this much?

No to be honest. He started to show alot of potential just before his most recent injury but in general he has been average in the PL and good in the CL. Still though, defo good enough to provide cover anywhere along the left flank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

quote taken from the times:

Steve Finnan is poised to become the latest player to commit his long-term future to Liverpool after Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Xabi Alonso, José Manuel Reina and Mohamed Sissoko. The Ireland defender has been offered a two-year contract with the option of an extra 12 months.

Fair play, nothing less than he deserves. Has been outstanding for us over the last few years and has seen off all comers for the position. Now if only Stan would realise that!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I believe Aurelio will be no more or no less than a solid squad player. Will do a decent job when filling in for lads who are rested or injured.

I'd love to get Heinze. But will believe it when I see it.

If we do get Heinze, or another good left back, then I believe Riise will be sold. I wouldnt be surprised if a deal has already been agreed with another club - but obviously nothing will happen unless Rafa is sure he has a replacement first. The main reason I suggest that is it seems he is one of the few that has not been offered a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

dont think riise will be sold,he offers more than aurelio,who imo looked nothing more than average and we would all be saying as much if he played for a team outside the top 4.
    Heinze despite a poor season last year is a better player than our other left backs.It seems pretty obvious now that rafa has very little faith in his left backs.

on an other note,malouda and alves(if they get him) for chelsea is a fierce wing combination to be facing next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Benayoun to wear number 11. Also Arbeloa has had his squad number changed to 17. Could number 2 be being kept for Heinze?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The problem with Riise is that he is a world class wing back, no doubt about it, but he is an average left winger, and a good left back, but not top class. If Liverpool played 3-5-2 there would be few better players, but they don't. I hope Heinze doesn't go, I'd be disappointed to see him in a Liverpool shirt, but if he does he'd be a pretty good signing (assuming he plays like the season before, not last season, which I think he will)

If I'm not mistaken, the last time Man Utd sold a player to Liverpool, Liverpool won the league and United ****ed up on a treble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

PHB wrote:
    The problem with Riise is that he is a world class wing back, no doubt about it, but he is an average left winger, and a good left back, but not top class. If Liverpool played 3-5-2 there would be few better players, but they don't. I hope Heinze doesn't go, I'd be disappointed to see him in a Liverpool shirt, but if he does he'd be a pretty good signing (assuming he plays like the season before, not last season, which I think he will)

If I'm not mistaken, the last time Man Utd sold a player to Liverpool, Liverpool won the league and United ****ed up on a treble

Which season do you mean? The last or the one before? Who was the last player that moved between them?

Phil Chisnall

The one before, when he played well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Directly, think it was Phil Chisnall, and I do not think liverpool won the league that season.
    He moved in 64 didn't he, we did not win the league that season, and he didn't do much really.

Directly, think it was Phil Chisnall, and I do not think liverpool won the league that season.

Yeh no, my memory is failing me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Press Conference at 1.15pm, if anyone is interested, prolly on SSN

Unveiling Babel and Yossi

Benayoun to wear number 11. Also Arbeloa has had his squad number changed to 17. Could number 2 be being kept for Heinze?

Arbeloa wore 17 while at Deportivo - could be nothing more than him taking his preferred number now that Bellamy has vacated it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Can someone with SSN on let me know when it starts so I can leg it to the sitting room ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Is Babel right-footed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

left i think- apparently over the last year he has hired two personal coaches because he felt Ajax's coaching wasnt helping him improve. he hired one for pace and another to help him be able to cross with both feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hmmm.

I'm after reading elsewhere that he's right-footed but he plays left-wing-forward. If that's true he must do a lot of cutting in rather than going to the byline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

New squad numbers are out

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/squad/

no number 1 or 2. Dudek was 1. Reina's keeping his current number....

Number 2... new fullback? ... Heinze?

• Advertisement

wikipedia says he is right footed - and thats never wrong!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Even the LFC site has Babel as a striker
    LFC.tv wrote:
    Position: Striker
    Date of Birth: 19/12/1986
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 12st 4
    1st team games: 0
    1st team goals: 0
    International caps: 14
    International goals: 4
    Former clubs: Ajax
    Birth Place: Amsterdam
    Maybe Rafa is planning for 2-4-4 :)

Daemonic wrote:
    Maybe Rafa is planning for 2-4-4 :)

Well people do keep saying we're too defensive and don't play enough attacking football :p

Benayoun & Babel Press Conference

Benitez said he sees Babel as a winger but is happy he can be used as a striker if needs be.

Benitez said he sees Babel as a winger but is happy he can be used as a striker if needs be.

Striker for CC & FA cup then ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

From the official website
    while the returning Scott Carson will be number 26
    Scott, we've every confidence in you being able to challenge Reina for the goalkeeper's position at Liverpool - the good news is number 1 is now spare, so here is number ............. 26 :o

Babel is a wing forward, in the classic dutch sense. Like Van Persie or Robben, although he is more like Robben than Van Persie.

People seem to have contrasting opinions on Babel. I've heard he's got a good touch but poor finishing and then I've heard that his first touch his poor but his finishing makes up for it. Only conclusive opinion is that he's fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just nicked this off RAWK
    Confirmed In's
    Andriy Voronin (Bayer Leverkusen) - Free.
    Sebastián Leto (Lanús) - 2,500,000.
    Lucas Pezzini Leiva (Gremio) - 6,750,000.
    Krisztian Nemeth (MTK Hungaria) - 750,000.
    Andras Simon (MTK Hungaria) - 750,000.
    Alexander Kacaniklic (Helsingborgs) undisclosed.
    Gary Makay Steven (Ross County)- undisclosed.
    Marvin Pourie (Borussia Dortmund) - undislosed.
    Jay Spearing (Acadamy graduate.)
    Ray Putterill (Acadamy graduate).
    Martin Hansen (Acadamy graduate).
    Nikolay Mihaylov (Levski Sofia) -undisclosed.
    Mikel San Jose (Athletic Bilbao) 270,000.
    Dani Pacheco (Barcelona) - undisclosed.
    Mihail Aleksandrov (CSKA Sofia) - undisclosed.
    Fernando Torres (Athletico Madrid) - 20,300,000
    Ryan Crowther (Stockport County) - undisclosed.
    David Amoo (Millwall) - undisclosed.
    Yossi Benayoun (West Ham Utd) - 4,500,000.
    Ryan Babel (AFC Ajax) - 11,500,000.

Confrimed out's
    Jerzy Dudek - Released.
    Robbie Foweler - Released.
    Daniele Padelli - Released.
    Boudewijn Zenden - Released.
    Florent Sinama Pongolle - Sold to Recreativo Huelva for 2,700,000.
    David Roberts - Released.
    Danny O'Donnell - Sold to Crewe Alexander for 100,000.
    Luis Garcia - Sold to Athletico Madrid - 2,700,000.
    Djibril Cisse - Sold to Olympic Marseille for 5,400,000.
    Craig Bellamy - Sold to West Ham Utd for 7,500,000.
    Mark Gonzalez - Sold to Real Betis for 3,500,000.
    Danny Guthrie - Contracted till 2009 - Loaned to Bolton FC for 07/08 season.
    Godwin Antwi - Contracted till 2009 - Loaned to Hatlepool FC for 07/08 season.
    Paul Anderson - Lonaed to Swansea FC for 07/08 season.
    Adam Hammill - Loaned to Southampton FC for 07/08 season.

Net spending ( +24,970,000.)

Mike.

• Advertisement

Rafa's views:
    "I feel we are going in the right direction," said Benitez. "If you look at the value of the squad three years ago and its value now, the squad is much better.

"I don't know, however, if it will be enough for winning the title. Manchester United won the title and are spending more money than anyone.

"Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham are also spending lots of money but at least we are competing with these teams in the market and that is important.

"We needed to go one step, maybe two steps at a time, but in fact we are going a little bit faster than anticipated."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i just noticed rafa is in support of zapp brannigans stand up forum:)

"We needed to go one step, maybe two steps at a time, but in fact we are going a little bit faster than anticipated."

Liking the fact that he thinks he is somewhat ahead of where he planned to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

any indication of the other player we will be signing? or will it be more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

Sunn wrote:
    any indication of the other player we will be signing? or will it be more?

I will be greedy and hope that we sign Mancini or Quaresma or Alves along with Heinze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

looking at Babel on youtube, he looks very comfortable on the wing and with both feet, but his preference seems to be right, but if you see his footage of him playing with his left, you would never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

SofaKing wrote:
    Well i reckon our strongest 4-4-2 lineup is easily...

Reina

Finnan     Carragher      Agger       Riise

Mascherano   Alonso 

Gerrard                                  Babel

Kuyt
                             Torres

Swap Babel for Benayoun and I'd agree. I actually look forward to seeing Benayoun and Alonso link up. Liverpool will be passing teams off the park. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

eirebhoy wrote:
    Swap Babel for Benayoun and I'd agree. I actually look forward to seeing Benayoun and Alonso link up. Liverpool will be passing teams off the park. ;)
    yeah, I think I agree with that, Benayoun is a replacement for Luis Garcia, Babel is a bit of a wildcard imo.

Sky are reporting Liverpool are making a move for Mancini:
    Liverpool are mulling over a move for Roma's Alessandro Mancini, according to the player's agent.

Mancini enjoyed a superb campaign last season and has reportedly attracted the attention of several clubs, including Juventus and Liverpool.

His representative Gilmar Veloz claims he has talked with Rafa Benitez about a possible transfer, although he admits the two clubs have yet to enter negotiations.

"There has been interest from Liverpool and I have spoken with Benitez," Veloz told Radio Centro Suono Sport.

"I replied that they must talk with Roma, but if the Giallorossi were to sell him I'd have no trouble striking a deal."

Mancini's current contract runs out in 2009 but Veloz insists his client would like to remain with the club.

However, the Brazilian has yet to agree a contract extension and Veloz admits his future remains uncertain.

He explained: "On Monday I'll be meeting with Roma sporting director Daniele Prade to talk about contracts, I don't know what their offer is yet."

"Does Mancini want to stay? Surely if he didn't he would have already left."

Reports in the Italian press suggest Mancini will consider leaving if he is not offered a substantial pay rise.

Sounds to me like the classic case of using external interest to get the contract you want.

---

As a side note, if Heinze does move to Liverpool, I think it's a mistake to think he'll be there as a LB. He has frequently stated his desire to play central defense for United, so it would be surprising if he's considering moving to Liverpool unless Rafa sees him in that position.

• Advertisement

I can't see it happening without more players leaving first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Is the Crewe game being shown on tv anywhere?

LFC.tv I think.

If you have that setanta package you are away ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

LFC.tv I think.

If you have that setanta package you are away ;)

having just bought this to go with sky, what channel would it be on??

Have not got the foggiest lad, just look through it until you find it would be my advice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Two of the new boys are in small spot of passport bother with Home Office boyos

story

Mike.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Sky are reporting Liverpool are making a move for Mancini:

Sounds to me like the classic case of using external interest to get the contract you want.

---

As a side note, if Heinze does move to Liverpool, I think it's a mistake to think he'll be there as a LB. He has frequently stated his desire to play central defense for United, so it would be surprising if he's considering moving to Liverpool unless Rafa sees him in that position.

Id love it to be true as I still don't think we've bought anyone that will walk into the first 11 bar Torres but unfortunately it looks like he wants more money at Roma and is using 'old' interest to try achieve that.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Have not got the foggiest lad, just look through it until you find it would be my advice ;)

had a decent look and there doesn't seem to be any of the setanta or sky channels showing this? are you sure its on?

Are you talking about the actual liverpool channel? That's not launching until september as far as I know?

copacetic wrote:
    had a decent look and there doesn't seem to be any of the setanta or sky channels showing this? are you sure its on?

Are you talking about the actual liverpool channel? That's not launching until september as far as I know?

http://sportslive.media.daum.net/live_tiny/player.jsp?channel=KL&league=WCLUB&game=WCLUB2007071201&home=1&away=6

BIG GUNS BACK FOR CREWE CLASH
    Paul Eaton 14 July 2007
    Rafael Benitez will give many of his key players their first run out of the season for this afternoon's clash at Crewe.
    The Reds' boss is expected to once again use a different side in each half of the game as he gives as many of his players as possible a run out before they set off for their pre-season training camp in Switzerland.

Likely first half team:

Reina
    Finnan
    Hyypia
    Roque
    Riise
    Spearing
    Peltier
    Gerrard
    El Zhar
    Crouch
    Voronin

Likely second half team:

Martin
    Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Agger
    Paletta
    Putterill
    Sissoko
    Alonso
    Pennant
    Lindfield
    Kuyt

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156388070714-1425.htm

i'm surprised idrizaj isnt gonna get a look in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Disappointing not to see Idrizaj in the squad after last weeks hat-trick.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement