Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Call_me_al wrote:
    and its only an expression dont be so anal.
    Lol, I only quoted you as you seemed to be the last person to say "in Rafa we trust", you don't have to be so defensive and get all freudian on my ass.

Tbh, I'm happy with his transfers - this summer and before that also. I just wouldn't be willing to follow the guy off a cliff, would like to see if anyone else thinks the expression is a bit retarded is all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Since it was mentioned on the LFC.tv commentary yesterday that Rafa's smig stays until we lose i believe we need to change it to "In The Smig we trust":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Good idea about the Liverpool supporters forum. This thread is amazingly popular. Id be interested to see the average ammount of posts per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Tusky wrote:
    Good idea about the Liverpool supporters forum. This thread is amazingly popular. Id be interested to see the average ammount of posts per month.

Maybe we should start a forum after the 10,000th post in this thread. Sign off in style...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The forum can have other fans come into it aswell? It's a bit pointless really. I mean if there's a LFC forum other teams fans will be up in arms about it.
    This thread is fine for what it's needed, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Would defo support the idea of a Liverpool forum as well. It should be open to anyone with access to the soccer forum though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Would defo support the idea of a Liverpool forum as well. It should be open to anyone with access to the soccer forum though.

Absolutely. Everyone should have access. I'm generally against the rise in forums on boards.ie - there are plenty that are really unnecessary but I think there are enough Liverpool supporters on boards.ie to warrant a forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

a forum should be set up when this thread becomes hard to follow because of the quantity of different things being discussed at once. atm i dont think thats the case, but thats just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The forum can have other fans come into it aswell? It's a bit pointless really. I mean if there's a LFC forum other teams fans will be up in arms about it. .

Yeah next thing you'll know the Spurs lot will be looking for a sub forum in the Hosted section. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

a forum should be set up when this thread becomes hard to follow because of the quantity of different things being discussed at once. atm i dont think thats the case, but thats just me

This thread doesnt lend itself well to different things being discussed at once though. It moves at such a pace, and feeds off news and gossip, that topics get buried at all too quick a rate.

Still, the forum would only be a success if the regular contributors of this thread were in favour of it - no point in splitting the camp! :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

maybe someone should start a forum request and see how the support looks?

copacetic wrote:
    maybe someone should start a forum request and see how the support looks?

Posted something here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53593617#post53593617

Am working nights at the moment so forgive the lack of structure and spelling :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

This thread doesnt lend itself well to different things being discussed at once though. It moves at such a pace, and feeds off news and gossip, that topics get buried at all too quick a rate.

Still, the forum would only be a success if the regular contributors of this thread were in favour of it - no point in splitting the camp! :)
    Say the top 20 contributors perhaps? :)
    mike65   	637
    el rabitos 	475
    ~Rebel~ 	375
    zing 	331
    PHB 	298
    Call_me_al 	273
    Stky10 	247
    RE*AC*TOR 	234
    Tusky 	232
    p.pete 	213
    zabbo 	204
    redspider 	200
    Zapp Brannigan 	198
    Stekelly 	174
    SofaKing 	171
    The Rooster 	168
    jesus_thats_gre 	164
    Chucky the tree 	160
    Shamrok 	132
    millersangel    118

But id be against the forum idea myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

mike65 wrote:
    Hard to justify spending 15 mill on Mancini with Babel on board even if they are somewhat different in terms of finished articles.

Mike - that comment is so living in last season or the season before or the season before or .... If Rafa has the money available and wants the player then let's sign him. As you say they are different and Mancini would bring something extra to the team.

As long as we also add some more defensive cover of course.

Posted something here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53593617#post53593617

Am working nights at the moment so forgive the lack of structure and spelling :)

surely the forum is a given now that the lord himself has called for it?

copacetic wrote:
    surely the forum is a given now that the lord himself has called for it?

With all the bad things happening lately, I had to step up..

Call_me_al wrote:
    no..... its the most viewed thread, we cant just throw it away and start again!

but you could say that about the team too, we must renew year on year!

Transfer the thread in to the new forum if it does get set up, lock it and start new threads..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's difficult sometimes to keep up with cross streams of conversations, this is made 10 times worse when you have someone like Neil84 in arguing about something he didn't know anything about, during a time when there were lots of different discussions (transfers / carragher retirement / liverpool tv station)

I'd be in favour of a seperate forum, similar to the Spurs Supporters Club.

Would this mean a different forum for each set of fans, I don't care, I'm mainly interested in Liverpool, and discussing my team with other Liverpool fans.

Transfer the thread in to the new forum if it does get set up, lock it and start new threads..

You cant lock a thread this big , it'd be sacrilage (sp?):)

Anyhoo, all this sub forum talk is pushing the thread ever closer to the 10k posts mark, maybe it could be retired in favour of a dedicated forum right on the 10,000 post mark and stickied for display purposes, liek the hilux on top gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

zing wrote:
    Mike - that comment is so living in last season or the season before or the season before or .... If Rafa has the money available and wants the player then let's sign him. As you say they are different and Mancini would bring something extra to the team.

Silly me! I'm still thinking in terms appropriate for Anfield church mice :D

As for the seperate forum and the catastrophic effect it'll have on this thread, well I'm more in favour than I used to be. That said I think we'd end up in Hosted section like Spurs fans and it is very quiet in there.

If we were a Soccer sub-board then the cry would go up - "we want a Man Utd board/ we want an Arsenal board/I want a Fulham board" etc.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    That said I think we'd end up in Hosted section like Spurs fans and it is very quiet in there..

Not at all, we're all real people, not one guy with lots of accounts talking to himself. :D

mike65 wrote:
    If we were a Soccer sub-board then the cry would go up - "we want a Man Utd board/ we want an Arsenal board/I want a Fulham board" etc.

Mike.

Pah, with the puny size of their threads? not likely,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

SofaKing wrote:
    Say the top 20 contributors perhaps? :)
    mike65   	637
    el rabitos 	475
    ~Rebel~ 	375
    zing 	331
    PHB 	298
    Call_me_al 	273
    Stky10 	247
    RE*AC*TOR 	234
    Tusky 	232
    p.pete 	213
    zabbo 	204
    redspider 	200
    Zapp Brannigan 	198
    Stekelly 	174
    SofaKing 	171
    The Rooster 	168
    jesus_thats_gre 	164
    Chucky the tree 	160
    Shamrok 	132
    millersangel    118

But id be against the forum idea myself :)
    How'd you get that?

The traffic that this post gets warrants it. Decisions can be made on a case by case basis. The only other clubs that would probably warrant it would be United, Arsenal and Celtic.

How'd you get that?

In the list of threads, click on the number of posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

@Pepe: Click the Posts counter beside the thread on the thread listing pages.

(Yes, you re top of the Arsenal thread ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I can understand the points being made for a seperate forum. If it is set up along with one for fans of United Arsenal etc, it would slowly but surely drive too many people away from the original Soccer Forum imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Has been looked at many many times before and usually the admins and soccer mods consult on it.

I wasn't a soccer mod last time it was seriously considered, but I was privy to some of the reasons that it was rejected.

I'll have a chat with the other soccer mods and admins and we'll post something about it. If you dont hear anything by the end of the month, somebody poke me with a PM.

In the mean time, I'd say this isn't the place for the discussion, so back on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

copacetic wrote:
    but you could say that about the team too, we must renew year on year!

when's that from?!?!

i am in favour of a new forum, as long as this gets brought with it!

• Advertisement

Not exactly a great source
    http://www.goal.com/it/articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=353867
    but if you believe it (or can understand it) we've supposedly offered EUR 8m for Giorgio Chiellini and Juve want 10m for him.

Don't know anything about him but that oh so reliable source wikipedia lists him as a LB who can also play in midfield - which is good cos we really do need more midfielders :rolleyes:

Are you ignoring the fact that he seems to be predominantly a left back?

Are you ignoring the fact that he seems to be predominantly a left back?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

zing wrote:
    Don't know anything about him but that oh so reliable source wikipedia lists him as a LB who can also play in midfield - which is good cos we really do need more midfielders :rolleyes:

There was talk of him being a target earlier on this summer as well. He played for Italy in the U-21 tournament like Babel this summer, but for Italy. I think he's predominantly a LB, but can also play CB. He has a reputation as being a bit of a bruiser.

As much as I'd like to rub ManU noses in it by signing Heinze against their wishes, I'd prefer Chiellini. Much better value for money in the longer term, and it wouldn't mean re-filling the transfer kitty of a rival.

zing wrote:
    Not exactly a great source
    http://www.goal.com/it/articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=353867
    but if you believe it (or can understand it) we've supposedly offered EUR 8m for Giorgio Chiellini and Juve want 10m for him.

Well considering that we need defenders, and he in fact a defender, why you focus on the fact that he can also play in midfield, roll your eyes and totally ignore the fact that he is a defender first and foremost :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ummm I'm pretty sure he was joking.

• Advertisement

I was wondering that myself but I don't think he is..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Personally, although I have only learned of the popularity of this thread and hence began to partake in it since Christmas, even in that period of time it hs really bugged my how some ill informed non pool supporters seem to troll the thread at times.

This is a thread listed in the general soccer forum so every1 does have the same rights to post to it. However, if there IS a seperate section set up for pool supporters I would like to see it adhere to its name and be solely for liverpool supporters.

This is for one reason only. Because every time i have seen this thread getting a bit heated and going off topic is when a non pool fan starts talking ****e. Sometimes I can see their point, it may bother them how dillusional/subjective some of us seem at times. But isn't that our right as supporters? ..that we want to be positive about our team and just chat amongst each other about said team.

I'm sorry PHB, since you are a major contributor to THIS thread. But my vote would beto set up pool supporters only section.

Well considering that we need defenders, and he in fact a defender, why you focus on the fact that he can also play in midfield, roll your eyes and totally ignore the fact that he is a defender first and foremost :|

"First and foremost" if you read what I posted you'll see that I did not totally ignore the fact that he is a defender - did I not refer to him as being a LB before saying that he could also play midfield ? Then I made the slightly sarcastic comment about us needing more midfielders.

I'm very much aware that we need defensive cover and have previously expressed my hope that we sign another good defender who can compete for a place rather than just warm the bench.

Time to cross Mancini off the wish list
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/tm_headline=mancini-interest-is-over%26method=full%26objectid=19462472%26siteid=100252-name_page.html

Note that he said 'will not be offering any money' rather than 'will not be offering any more money' which could suggest we didn't make an offer a few weeks back as was reported. Or maybe I'm reading too much into that - doesn't matter either way as it doesn't look like we'll be getting him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

"Gaby's agent has advised us that he wants to move on

"I am not too sure about that and we do not have a concrete offer from any particular club.

"But there is some momentum regarding the player's next move in terms of through his agent, even if nothing is close at this moment in time."

didnt see it, but I heard Daniel Alves gave Heinze a torrid time in the Copa America Final on Sunday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

didnt see it, but I heard Daniel Alves gave Heinze a torrid time in the Copa America Final on Sunday night.

The link to Chiellini seems to be more widespread than ever today, its been on Football365 et al. They claim we've offered 5m for him, but been told he'll only be sold for 7m.

Should all get sorted out in the next week I'd imagine that we'll sign one of them.

Then what was the point of:
    zing wrote:
    which is good cos we really do need more midfielders :rolleyes:

Was it a joke? An attempt at sarcasm maybe? If not, what was the point of it?

In Rafa we Thrust ;)

If a LB comes in, doesn't say much for Insua, Argie u-20 LB with 5 caps.

Auerlio is out for the first month or two, which only leaves Riise as a LB, and Arbeloa as alternatives.

Arbeloa is capable of making the LB/RB his own given a run of games, who can forget his master performance on Messi at Camp Now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/07/15/sfntev115.xml

What is the status of Javier Mascherano?

When Mascherano moved to Liverpool, West Ham tore up his registration, effectively making him a free agent. He then signed for Liverpool on a two-year deal, with an option for a longer term deal at the end of that period. Confusion has arisen because this deal has been referred to as a loan when in fact he has been signed as a Liverpool player on a short-term basis.

An attempt at sarcasm maybe? If not, what was the point of it?

Indeed it was - as denoted by the "Rolls Eyes (Sarcastic)" smiley at the end of it along with me explicitly referring to it as a sarcastic comment in my last post.

zing wrote:
    Indeed it was - as denoted by the "Rolls Eyes (Sarcastic)" smiley at the end of it along with me explicitly referring to it as a sarcastic comment in my last post.

Jeez, I was (still am to be hoenst) convinced that you used the "Roll Eyes" icon to reflect your opinion on the signing of what you seen as another midfielder..

Jeez, I was (still am to be hoenst) convinced that you used the "Roll Eyes" icon to reflect your opinion on the signing of what you seen as another midfielder..

Sorry dude - then you took it up wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Source: tribalfooball.com - July 16, 2007 (no idea how reliable they are :p)
    spacer.gif
    Liverpool have made a £5 million offer to Juventus for fullback Giorgio Chiellini. Tuttosport says the Reds tabled the bid over the weekend, but it falls short of Juve's asking price.
    Juve are prepared to sell Italy U21 captain Chiellini to Liverpool if they raise their offer to £7 million.

Anyone know much about him?

zing wrote:
    Sorry dude - then you took it up wrong.

have to say I took up what you said the same way as jtg, it doesn't make any sense otherwise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement