Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I think he is a dirty get who can do a job. He is always flailing around with hes elbows and has been lucky so far to get away without a lengthy ban. Having said that if he is willing to play as cover or as a third CB in games where rafa plays the 352 then that's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

his attitude seemed to be pretty poor. Hope Rafa,Stevie and Carra pay him a visit and sort that out!

I don't think you understand how Benitez operates. He doesn't pay visits. Babel is young and will be made aware of what is required of him in training and when he is called on to play.

Anyway, these pre-season games are no more than a glorified training session. I remember Cissé having great preseason performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I think he is a dirty get who can do a job. He is always flailing around with hes elbows and has been lucky so far to get away without a lengthy ban. Having said that if he is willing to play as cover or as a third CB in games where rafa plays the 352 then that's great.

agree completely and not to restart an old debate but i think he wont get away with as much at us then he does at united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Having said that if he is willing to play as cover or as a third CB in games where rafa plays the 352 then that's great.

This is where I think Liverpool fans will be surprised.
    Do you honestly think a player would go from 2nd choice at United their arch-rivals to be 2nd choice there? There's no doubt in my mind next season if he goes to Liverpool he will be first choice LB or more likely, first choice CB (ahead of Agger)
    He has said lots and lots of times he wants to play CB. He prefers it massively. Surely if you are moving clubs, you'd seek assurances that you get to play in the position you prefer. I really do believe Rafa must have given him this assurance.

If Heinze joins, I expect to see
    Finnan-Carragher-Heinze-Riise
    or else
    Finnan-Carragher-Agger-Heinze

probably the first one

i dont see agger being dropped for heinze - he needs to keep playing and tbh doesnt exactly weaken the defence. if heinze is going to be a first choice any where it will be at left back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He must have been given some sort of assurances alright, maybe from Rafa through Mascherano or something. I could see the same kind of thing that was said to Babel being said to Heinze, like "You're competeing with 3 other players for 2 spots, but you begin as starter".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

~Rebel~ wrote:
    He must have been given some sort of assurances alright, maybe from Rafa through Mascherano or something. I could see the same kind of thing that was said to Babel being said to Heinze, like "You're competeing with 3 other players for 2 spots, but you begin as starter".

Or you'll be part of a rotation system with 2 other players for 3 spots (we all accept Sami won't feature much) so you've basically got a chance of starting every other game and it's up to you to make the most of those chances. Or you can stay where you are and warm the bench as backup to Evra or whoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

PHB wrote:
    He has said lots and lots of times he wants to play CB. He prefers it massively. Surely if you are moving clubs, you'd seek assurances that you get to play in the position you prefer. I really do believe Rafa must have given him this assurance.
    I'm guessing his attitude has changed now. Whats most important for Heinze now is guaranteed first team action. Position is secondary. The Carra-Agger partnership won't be broken unless there's an injury. If Heinze comes, he will become first choice left back, but I'm sure Benitez will also occassionally use the 3-5-2 formation with a back three of Carra-Agger-Heinze.

If Liverpool look like they're going to win the legal battle (and I've no idea whether they will or not), I wouldnt be surprised if United started touting him around to other clubs for £5m, maybe even £4m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd be very suprised to see Heinze feature ahead of Agger, I think if he is being bought its with the intention of him playing on the left side as first choice (better than Riise) battle with Aurelio (when he's back form injury) to make the position his own. Riise (when being used,playing as a winger - which he pretty much does anyway!).

And Heinze will then be third choice CB.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

~Rebel~ wrote:

Not too sure about that. Rafa does not seem to me to be the kind of manager who would guarantee "You will be the first choice CB next season". At best he would be promised some opportunities at CB to try and cement his place in the side.

TBH with all of the rotation that Rafa does all three will see plenty of game time next season in any case. Who starts the big league/CL games is another matter entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

If David Gill was foolish enough to sign a letter saying Heinze could leave for £6.5M or whatever, and is now trying desperately hard to back out of it, you can hardly blame Heinze. If they made such a deal they should honour it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

i would imagine Heinze will be given the LB slot and Riise playing the problem LM slot!!Riise can be a real terror on the wing and thats what we need!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

jonny24ie wrote:
    i would imagine Heinze will be given the LB slot and Riise playing the problem LM slot!!Riise can be a real terror on the wing and thats what we need!!
    that's what I would have thought also.
    Carra-Agger partnership will not be broken up too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Irish international Steve Finnan has agreed a new three-year contract with Liverpool.

The 31-year-old defender joined the club from Fulham in 2003 and has become a regular feature in the first team at Anfield.

He was part of the Liverpool teams that won the Champions League in 2005 and the FA Cup in 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

There is not a chance that Heinze would play ahead of Agger. Agger was one of our best players last season and you can literally see him improving week in week out. He needs to play regularly and has already got a pretty good relationship on the pitch for Carra. Heinze would be brought in for LB and occasionally cover CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He has said lots and lots of times he wants to play CB. He prefers it massively.

I'm not sure, but I think he wanted to play centre-back at club level because that was where he was played with Argentina. He's now Argentina'a first choice left back though, so perhaps that'll put an end to his CB aspirations.

anyone have a link for the Pool game later? on at 17.30 VS Shanghai Shenhua

~Rebel~ wrote:
    anyone have a link for the Pool game later? on at 17.30 VS Shanghai Shenhua

Hmmm ? Our next match is tomorrow -

24 Jul, 2007 South China FC Friendly A 13:30

the game you're talking about is..

03 Aug, 2007 Shanghai Shenhua Friendly A 17:30

Have seen Javi Garcia linked to us on other forums recently but this is the first time I've seen it in mainstream media.
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?HLID=478307&CPID=23&title=Reds+in+hunt+for+Real+starlet&lid=&channel=Premiership&f=rss&clid=186

This time I won't make any comments about us needing more defensive midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

80 posts to go before the interweb explodes! :)

**** make that 78

Mike.

• Advertisement

is the game tomorrow on sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Game tmoro is on Sky Sports. I thought the ko was 1315, but might be 1330

Game tmoro is on Sky Sports. I thought the ko was 1315, but might be 1330

13:15 according to the club

Whiskey nose not a happy camper by the looks of it.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_2610946,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Roll on 10,000!

Another DM, that's madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fergie says Heinze ain't happening:

``Gabriel Heinze will not be joining Liverpool,'' he said immediately after his side's 6-0 pre-season win over Chinese League outfit Shenzhen in Macau.
    ``We are examining some of the statements coming from his agent and when
    contact was first made with Liverpool.
    ``We are not happy with the agent's conduct in the matter and we are examining that as well, but it will take a couple of days before we have anything more to say.''

This thread is getting locked at 10,000 posts which is really disappointing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

PHB wrote:

At this stage I don't really care about Heinze. As its really pissing off the red half of manchester thats good enough for me.

ah lads we cant lock it at 10,000 that'd be sacrilegious! i vote to keep it going!

On javi garcia, just why? unless its to buy him, loan him out, let his value rise and sell on again..

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Tusky wrote:

:confused:

really? why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

~Rebel~ wrote:
    ah lads we cant lock it at 10,000 that'd be sacrilegious! i vote to keep it going!

Agree make your voice heard on the forums page about the Liverpool FC subforum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53637583#post53637583

Tusky wrote:

Indeed. I'll often post a media link about a player we're being linked to but most of those are not worthy of starting their own threads imo

For life after this thread is locked we've two choices
    a) start new threads for each potential topic/discussion/player we're
    linked to/etc.. and fill the general forum with various lfc threads
    or
    b) stick to a few structured threads on specific topics - e.g. players we're
    being linked to, potential Heinze deal, discussions on the various friendly
    games, etc..

Option A will add weight to the we need our own forum argument but will be a pita to follow for a few weeks. Option B on the other hand could be a lot easier to follow but doesn't really back up the we need our own forum argument.

copacetic wrote:
    :confused:

really? why?

We were trying to get a separate Liverpool forum. In doing so a lot of us mentioned that it was hard to follow discussions in the Liverpool thread because there is so much being discussed and it moves at such a fast pace. They decided, because of this, they would close this thread on 10,000 posts and just have the Liverpool threads in the main soccer forum.

This is the worst possible outcome...as someone mentioned in that thread, we are hardly going to be starting threads on Rafas Goatee, or what Babels best position is in the soccer forum.

I propose that we flood the soccer forum with Liverpool threads to show them how much a separate Liverpool forum or at the very least, a big thread of its own, is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Or else just start this thread again when it's closed at 10,000. Like was done when this thread was unavailable for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'll continue posting, if that means creating a new thread, so be it.

Oh, and I'll be expecting 50+ replies within an hour of any Liverpool thread :)

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote:
    We were trying to get a separate Liverpool forum. In doing so a lot of us mentioned that it was hard to follow discussions in the Liverpool thread because there is so much being discussed and it moves at such a fast pace. They decided, because of this, they would close this thread on 10,000 posts and just have the Liverpool threads in the main soccer forum.

This is the worst possible outcome...as someone mentioned in that thread, we are hardly going to be starting threads on Rafas Goatee, or what Babels best position is in the soccer forum.

I propose that we flood the soccer forum with Liverpool threads to show them how much a separate Liverpool forum or at the very least, a big thread of its own, is needed.

yeah, was on the other forum thread but didn't notice this.

Seems a bit out of order to me, well you asked for a forum, but you're not getting it and we are shutting down the thread to spite you?

Not impressed at all, can a thread be locked on a whim like that for no reason?

absolut bo!!ox locking it at 10,000 - jesus its like the government who cares what the people who use it want.

Or else just start this thread again when it's closed at 10,000. Like was done when this thread was unavailable for a few days.

but if thats the case, then why close this one?..

even if we do get a subforum, this thread should be kept for "TRANSFER RUMOURS" and we can just speak about the other topics in diferent threads, just keep this one for rumours or targets or transfer news which isnt' big enough to warrent a new thread (eg. Torres = new thread, Javi Garcia = here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

hmm with the amount of new lfc threads that could possibly be started maybe the soccer forum will become the new LFC forum :D

Don't think that would be allowed. They are shutting this thread to see what effect it has on the soccer forum (how many new threads and how much posting). If there is too many Liverpool threads in the soccer forum, that can only increase our chances of our own forum.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:

Believe it or not, Fergie doesn't always get wat he wants :P

copacetic wrote:
    Seems a bit out of order to me, well you asked for a forum, but you're not getting it and we are shutting down the thread to spite you?

I think the idea is to temporarily lock this thread to see the impact of LFC related posting on the rest of the soccer forum and use that as a guide to help judge if an LFC specific forum is indeed needed. It's not 'to spite you' - also bear in mind that the mod who proposed this idea is a red

Believe it or not, Fergie doesn't always get wat he wants :P

Yeah right - pull the other one

55 posts to go :eek:

zing wrote:
    I think the idea is to temporarily lock this thread to see the impact of LFC related posting on the rest of the soccer forum and use that as a guide to help judge if an LFC specific forum is indeed needed. It's not 'to spite you' - also bear in mind that the mod who proposed this idea is a red

i don't believe that, they are all out to get me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Believe what you want copa.

BTW if anybody takes it on themselves to start liverpool threads just on whim to try and prove a point and skew the results of the trial then they will be banned.

Call_me_al, quit yer whining.
    Tusky, try that and you are banned.
    Copa, they may well all be out to get you.

Others this does not even slightly resemble liverpool signings or transfer rumours.

liverpool 2-1 up on s. china goals from Riise and a penalty by alonso.

pennant just on for kewell and kuyt on for crouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

3-1 Agger

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

The match is being repeated again at five on sky sports. So for anyboy lucky enough to have Sky+ and is unlucky enough to be stuck in work you can remote record it.

Sky1.gif

threlfall and hyypia playing cm by the end. wasted a lot of chances. pennant seemed to have played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I was struggling to stay awake from that. Voronin showed good movement, and Arbeloa was excellent when called upon, but very little to note apart from that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement