Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

woodyg wrote:
    Dissapointed about Milito but if Andrade came in stead i'd be very happy!

He was top class for Portugal at the Euros last year Strong Quick good in the air and can pass a ball to.

I see Inter are looking to get Walter Samuel on loan id like to see the Pool have a look at him and see if we could snatch him quality player.
    But i hear he's on mad money at Real near 75,000 a week Crazy

Are you mad? Real can't wait to off load Samuel after only a season, hes dreadful !!!!! Despite what Gerry Armstrong might say (BTW, I reckon he wasnt in a car crash last year which left him with a black eye, I reckon somebody clocked him one because of his stupid biast commentary on Sky Sports Spanish footie :)

Zak Whitbread? We'd be better off with Fatima Whitbread in central defence. Hyypia must go now !!! He turns like the Sealink FFS !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Clever. Whitbread is a decent defender and if you bothered actually watching him play than criticising the whole team, you would realise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

:mad: well we wont be going for Andrade now.
    He played last night in the Inter 2 bob cup and is now cup tied for the season!
    The options at center back are gettin thin on the ground and we need to bring in some 1 and quick.

The Luas Trams turn quicker than Hypia ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Stop slating Sami....he's been immense for Liverpool and still has a lot to offer. From what I remember he's always slow off the mark in pre-season. Normally takes him 10 games to find his feet. Lets hope Carra can cover for him until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

hypia has given us about 4 seasons of unbelieveable performances, lay off him.

yep, the options are running thin, if your played in the intertoto you can still play in the uefa cup or champions league can you not??! its like playing in the carling cup and being cup tied for the FA cup too - could be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Is this Sami's fifth season with Liverpool?
    In his first two seasons he was excellent, pretty good in season 3, but last year he started to slide and I can only see the slide continuing. He needs to be replaced - there's no room for sentiment in football. Its how good you are now that counts, not how good you used to be.

If you play in the UEFA Cup then you are definitely cup-tied for the Champions League. So as the TwoBob is effectively a UEFA qualfier, I presume Andrade is cup-tied for all European football this season.

your dead right about there being no sentiment in football, but there is loyalty, and after 2 or 3 games saying that he turns like the luas is a bit harsh, it is pre season after all. he has shown us what he can do before, and although we need another centre half i think hyypia will be a big part of our squad this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Baros is being linked heavily with Shalke, but his agent has said a few other clubs are in the running

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4714053.stm
    Striker Milan Baros is getting closer to making his Liverpool exit after his agent held talks with Schalke.

Pavel Paska met the German side's manager but said no deal had been done.

"I can admit I have had a meeting with Rudi Assauer," Paska said. "The name Baros has been noted. Schalke are one of the interested clubs, nothing more."

Aston Villa have been tracking the 23-year-old Czech Republic striker who has also been linked with moves to Lyon, Valencia and West Ham.

Paska had previously said Baros wanted to stay at Anfield.

"We have stopped all activity so Milan can play for Liverpool," he told BBC Sport. "We will look at the situation in two weeks and speak to Liverpool then."

However, Rafael Benitez's decision to leave Baros out of his squad for Reds' first leg Champions League second qualifying round tie against FBK Kaunas seems to have speeded up any potential move.

Benitez has so far played him only in friendlies - Baros scored twice in the 4-3 win over Olympiakos - and not in Champions League games so as not to cup-tie him.

That increases his value to other European clubs such as Lyon - and thus his transfer market price.

Peter Crouch's £7m arrival from Southampton pushed Baros down the pecking order, with Fernando Morientes, Djibril Cisse and Antony Le Tallec his other rivals for a first-team place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Hypia was never blessed with pace.
    But he's lost even more now the legs are goin.
    10 games to warm up screw that by that stage we could be out of the race for the premiership!
    He's turning ability for a center half is bad to say the least

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

VinnyL wrote:
    your dead right about there being no sentiment in football, but there is loyalty, and after 2 or 3 games saying that he turns like the luas is a bit harsh, it is pre season after all. he has shown us what he can do before, and although we need another centre half i think hyypia will be a big part of our squad this season

I wish it was only 2 or 3 games mate but it was the whole of last season !!!! Dont get me wrong, Sami WAS great but its time for somebody younger and faster.

As for not watching Whitbread, I have. Against Burnley he wasn't exactly class now was he?

i'd rate medjani, but it looks like he's unsettled...

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N149491050727-1439.htm

last thing we need is to loose another centre half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

BolBill wrote:
    I wish it was only 2 or 3 games mate but it was the whole of last season !!!! Dont get me wrong, Sami WAS great but its time for somebody younger and faster.

As for not watching Whitbread, I have. Against Burnley he wasn't exactly class now was he?
    Against burnley he was the best player on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

BolBill wrote:

When you say watch do you mean look up over the monitor while you are typing some more uninformed claptrap ? Whitbread had a good game against Burnley and has looked solid in preseason, I know that is often no indicator but he has been performing in the reserves and won the player of the year for them IIRC. Slating him on the basis of a game where we only conceded one goal to a member of our own team (who it would have been unlikely whitbread would have challenged) is a little less than convincing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

When is Figo going to make up his mind???!?! :confused: Personally I would like to see him sign!

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,2483_595037,00.html
    Real Madrid winger Luis Figo has again insisted that he will leave the club if he cannot be guaranteed regular first team football.

The Portugal international, who will be 33 in November, spent the end of last season watching from the substitutes' bench and events on the club's pre-season tour of the US and the Far East have so far done little to indicate that his situation is about to change.

Although Figo has worked hard in every game, he has once again found himself starting as a substitute and is clearly getting frustrated.

With Thomas Gravesen starting several games on the right of midfield and Michael Owen favoured in attack, the arrival of Uruguayan Carlos Diogo and the probable incorporation of Robinho have only served to put Figo under greater pressure.

"It is a strange situation for me," Figo told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"What I want to do is play football and if possible for Real Madrid."

Figo has one year left on the six-year deal he signed when he joined from Barcelona in 2000, but he says that unless things change, he has little chance of seeing it out.

"If I don't have the chance to play football here, then I am not going to stay," he added.

Liverpool and Internazionale have both been strongly linked with the player, but Figo insists he is still concentrating on matters at Real.

"I know there are important teams interested in me. It is an honour that Liverpool are interested, but there is nothing new about the move to Inter. At the moment I am concentrating on our tour of Asia," he added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Slating him on the basis of a game where we only conceded one goal to a member of our own team (who it would have been unlikely whitbread would have challenged) is a little less than convincing too.

:D

FYI here are the ratings from the game.

Looks like he didnt do too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i remeber watching that game and thinking whitbred was the player who looked like he had a good few years experience in the premiership and hyypia was the player who was the beginner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

Nunez agrees Celta switch
    Friday 29 Jul 2005
    Antonio Nunez is set to leave Liverpool after agreeing terms for a return to Spain with Celta Vigo.

The 26-year-old will sign a three-year contract with the newly promoted Primera Liga club after being told he does not feature in Rafa Benitez's plans for the new season.

"We've reached an agreement and all that remains is for me to put pen to paper," Nunez confirmed to Radio Marca.

The winger moved to Anfield last summer as the makeweight in the deal that took Michael Owen to Real Madrid, but was unable to make his first-team debut until November after suffering a knee injury in his first training session with the Reds.

He struggled to adapt to English football after recovering his fitness and started just eight Premiership matches, but leaves Merseyside with a Champions League winner's medal after he was an unused substitute during Liverpool's dramatic final success against AC Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

on the hyppia matter, jaap stam has about the same rate of turn as hyppia, is not much better than hyppia, and is playing for the second best team in europe, week in, week out.
    and another thing, don't forget hyppias scorcher in the CL against Juve last year.

Lay off sami.

Is a bit tougher for Sami though what with him playing for the best team in Europe....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

from SSN

"Lincoln starlet Jack Hobbs is expected to complete his dream move to Liverpool on Monday.

Reports in the English press had suggested that the deal was done and dusted although the 16-year-old must still complete his medical at Anfield on Friday.

The Reds have beaten off competition from Premiership rivals Arsenal for the signature of the talented stopper, and are poised to make Hobbs their seventh summer arrival after claiming the UEFA Champions League crown.

Hobbs's agent Charles Collymore has told skysports.com that, awaiting the completion of a medical, his client will join Rafa Benitez's ranks in the next few days.

"Yep it's pretty much done, we are hoping that his medical will be done today then are expecting everything to be completed on Monday," Collymore told skysports.com.

"I'm in Liverpool on Monday to hopefully complete everything."

The Reds took full advantage of Arsenal's inability to reach an accord with Lincoln as they took Hobbs on trial and wowed the youngster.

Collymore voiced his belief that all parties would be content with the arrangement settled on after The Gunners missed out, and stated that Hobbs was looking forward to making his mark at Anfield.

"That was purely a commercial decision between Lincoln and Arsenal, they couldn't get their commercial agreement," Collymore continued.

"Jack had quite a long time to get acclimatised to Liverpool, the management down there treated him wonderfully well and Lincoln felt that the offer that was made to them by Liverpool was acceptable and consistent with their requirements.

"So it was great for the lad and it was great for Lincoln.

"He is at Liverpool to be at Liverpool, he will become a first year pro on his 17th birthday and his idea is to be part of Liverpool's youth system.""

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

interview with mark gonzalez here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

thebhoy wrote:
    interview with mark gonzalez here
    Good to hear something from him. The basic thrust of the interview is that the lad is looking for sufficient time to impress the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

"I want to take things step by step and enjoy this chance that life has given me. The Premiership title would be fine. Another [UEFA] Champions League would be superb... and then maybe the [FIFA] World Club Championship. Obviously, I want to make my mark."

heh at least he's not short of ambition! Looking forward to seeing him in action.

Saw a report on ITV teletext this morning that Rafa said he expects to buy a centre-half and a right winger in the next seven days. Only site I can see with it is here.

Shamrok wrote:
    Saw a report on ITV teletext this morning that Rafa said he expects to buy a centre-half and a right winger in the next seven days. Only site I can see with it is here.

Is also here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Baros has agreed personal terms with Schalke 04, according to the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4731147.stm

Just reading on a couple of German sites there that the Schalke coach wants a one-year-loan deal with a buy option in 2006.
    Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

I heard today that Figo will meet Parry tomorrow himself. No agents involved to discuss a move face to face.

Also Andrade's agent is on merseyside trying to sort out a move for his client.

Liverpool were also offered Edgar Davids but declined the offer.

Shamrok wrote:
    Just reading on a couple of German sites there that the Schalke coach wants a one-year-loan deal with a buy option in 2006.
    Source

I see the English sites are onto this angle now.

German club Schalke 04 want to take Liverpool striker Milan Baros first on loan with an option to buy the Czech international next summer. Baros, 23, had appeared keen to stay at Liverpool, but he has not featured in their Champions League qualifiers.

"We want Baros for a year on loan and at the same time an option to buy for 2006," Schalke general manager Rudi Assauer told Bild am Sonntag.

"It would be Schalke's biggest transfer of all time if we carry it off."

On Saturday Schalke coach Ralf Rangnick said personal terms had already been agreed with Baros.

Whether Liverpool would be interested in a loan deal for Baros, who is reportedly valued at £7m, remains unclear.

Boss Rafael Benitez has said he wants to bring in two new players during the next seven days - a central defender and a right winger, presumably deals that would be funded by any money received for Baros.

Aston Villa have been tracking the striker who has also been linked with moves to Lyon, Valencia and West Ham.

Peter Crouch's £7m arrival from Southampton has pushed Baros down the pecking order at Anfield, with Fernando Morientes, Djibril Cisse and Antony Le Tallec his other rivals for a first-team place.

Last season Baros, who cost Liverpool £3.5m, managed to score just nine Premiership goals, despite finishing top scorer at Euro 2004.

Source: BBC Football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have no media links handy but there's a fair bit of idle chatter on message boards suggesting Owen is going to return to Anfield and that this was likely from the moment Gerrard signed his extension.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Hope so, Mike. We never replaced him.

This better be wrong as its lousy business by Pool if not

from Anfield Road.
    According to Sky Sports, Schalke 04 were claiming today that they had been given the green light from Liverpool over a loan move for Milan Baros.

The Czech Republic striker has been unhappy at Anfield for some time, and after being omitted from all of Liverpool's early Champions League games this season it was obvious Liverpool were ready to move him out.

The Reds reportedly wanted £7million for the forward, top scorer in the last European Championships, but Schalke claimed over the weekend that the asking price was out of their reach - for now.

Baros had reportedly agreed terms with the German side already, who were due to speak to Anfield officials about the loan idea. Their general manager, Rudi Assauer, said: “We have not yet spoken about all the figures yet but we want Baros for a year on loan and at the same time an option to buy for 2006.”

For Liverpool to agree to this there must be caution involved. Baros will be down to the last year of his deal by the time a year has passed, and his valuation will drop substantially. If the reports are true then Ralf Rangnick, the Schalke coach, will have seen his dreams come true. He said: "We have agreed everything with Baros and his agent. He’s top of my wish list. He’s fast and a goal threat.”

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Yeah I thought of that. Sell him to Villa.

Looks like Owen is not returning to Liverpool. Quote from Rafa this morning:

"We have a lot of strikers who I am happy with and for me the most important thing at the moment is to protect Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher. I am looking for a centre back and not a centre forward".
    Source

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

I think cisse has 15 - 20 goals a season in him despite his constant veering off to the right.

was owen not looking to be consulted about future signings as a condition of him signing a new deal last year? let him warm the bench in madrid says i.

spending 12 million on 1 or 2 central defenders is whats needed, not on bringing back owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Rafa was just on sky news saying he dosent want another striker, says he's looking for a defender. I'm relieved that that little p^ick isnt coming back.

Anyone any ideas who he might have in mind.

:D :cool:

Rafa was just on sky news saying he dosent want another striker, says he's looking for a defender. I'm relieved that that little p^ick isnt coming back.
    Very harsh! The lad did a lot of good for the club.
    Liverpool to bid for Malbranque according to here.

Shamrok wrote:
    Liverpool to bid for Malbranque according to here.
    Sure thats one of those annual transfer stories at this stage. Still though makes a bit of sense seeing as RB said he wants another right sided midfielder.

I like Malbranque, proven at Premiership level, although he didnt have the best of seasons last year as far as I remember. I wouldnt mind seeing him at Liverpool if the price was right. Probably about £5M?
    Shamrok wrote:
    Very harsh! The lad did a lot of good for the club.
    True. It annoys me to see such venom always spat in the direction of one of the best servants to the club. Particularly when he was sold at the consent of the club, its not like he demanded a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Looks like the Baros deal is off with breaking news reporting that Schalke today pulled out of the race to sign Milan Baros from Liverpool.

• Advertisement

cerbeus wrote:
    Looks like the Baros deal is off with breaking news reporting that Schalke today pulled out of the race to sign Milan Baros from Liverpool.
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=295965&cpid=22&CLID=&lid=2&title=Schalke+out+of+Baros+race&channel=football_home

Good to hear. It would have been an awful decision to loan him out. Wonder where he is going now?

He may go to Aston Villa if they can persuade Liverpool to take £5 million rather than the £8 million they are reported to be looking for him.

Nice to see Benitez stating that a centre back is the next player on his list as it is the one area that he has yet to strengthen despite siging Hobbs who will probably only make the reserve team initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

What quality centre backs are there out there for a reasonable price..

IMO we need to replace Hyypia ASAP. I thought last year he looked very past it..

As has been said, whitbread is a ready replacement for Hyypia, good all orunder, not overly blessed with pace but good in the air and can play it when he has to. Granted we need a defender but it is not as urgent that we bring in a big name as some make out. A good solid centre back for cover is what we could do with but who would join a club to play as cover...

I think we definitely need more than just cover. We should buy someone for the first XI and Hyypia should be moved to the cover position. Id be happy with Hyypia playing 10-15 games a season but we need a partner for Carrragher now and for the next 4/5 years.

Murours of Andrade are around. He is the calibre of player we should be looking for.

Anthony Le Tallec is set to complete a medical tomorrow and spend the season on loan with Mick McCarthy's Sunderland. This will provide him with some valuable first team experience.

Unfortunately it means we lose a striker and if Baros goes as well then we will be down 2 strikers before the season starts. Just hope we don't have another injury ravaged season like last year.

• Advertisement

cerbeus wrote:
    Anthony Le Tallec is set to complete a medical tomorrow and spend the season on loan with Mick McCarthy's Sunderland. This will provide him with some valuable first team experience.

Unfortunately it means we lose a striker and if Baros goes as well then we will be down 2 strikers before the season starts. Just hope we don't have another injury ravaged season like last year.
    Im delighted with this news. One more year and if he doesnt impress get rid of him.

We will still have Cisse, Morientes, and Crouch even if Baros ends up leaving. Pongolle to return, and Mellor also there if required. More than ample cover for a team that spent large proportions of last year playing with one up front.

The Baros loan/sale to Schalke 04 has fallen through and he will not be part of the team for tomorrows game so looks like he's still going somewhere and that suggests a berth free for someone...hmmm ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

The Baros loan/sale to Schalke 04 has fallen through and he will not be part of the team for tomorrows game so looks like he's still going somewhere and that suggests a berth free for someone...hmmm

yeah if ur thinking michael owen then NO. just...no.

if he comes back we can have a public viewing of me eating my shoe.

Apparently Liverpool are negotiating with Real Madrid for the return of Owen. They are playing it down in the hope that showing no urgency will some how persuade Real to lower the price or even consider a loan deal.

Should the Baros deal come off then Benitez will have more funds to back up a full transfer as opposed to a year long loan. And if Dudek can also be shipped out then this will increase his transfer kitty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

http://www.koptalk.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/521623/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Steed wouldnt be a bad addition to liverpool

http://www.pinkfootball.com/App/showDoc.aspx?comp_id=43955

Has anyone heard of this Jack Hobbs? alot of talk about him, anyone heard anything at all?

http://www.walkonlfc.com/news/jul05/figo_andrade.htm

im sure everyone is aware of these 2 , either would be nice

and last but not least , isnt it nice how benitez stands his ground to Jose , and gives as good as he gets, i think liverpool are a real threat this season, i think this year will be alot different,

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=15807152%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=benitez%2d%2dcriticism%2dshows%2dwe%2dare%2dthreat-name_page.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement