Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

EXCLUSIVE: Liverpool negotiating Owen deal with Real Madrid
    #523357 - 02/08/2005 07:12 Reply

KopTalk can exclusively reveal that Liverpool are negotiating a deal with Real Madrid to try and re-sign striker Michael Owen.

Despite denials from Anfield, Liverpool are keen on re-signing the England hitman, preferably on a year's loan with a view to a permanent deal next year when additional transfer funds are available.

A senior Anfield source told KopTalk.com: "Of course the club want to sign Michael but it's basically just a question of money. Real Madrid are listening which is a start, but although they want to get him off the books (because of his salary) a loan deal isn't an attractive option to them.

"The manager has been backed fully by the board this season and funds are available for further purchases but at least two more players are high on the agenda. If Milan (Baros) is sold and maybe someone else like Jerzy (Dudek), more cash would then be freed up to enable a cash bid to be tabled.

"What's worrying Rafa is that Xabi Alonso's name was brought up during preliminary discussions. Rafa is concerned though that Real's interest in the player could unsettle him which is why talk of dealing with the Spanish giants has to be played down. We also don't want to look too keen in relation to re-signing Owen in the hope that they lower the asking price."

The source added: "The club are in constant dialogue with Owen, his agent and Terry. They have made it perfectly clear that he would reject any other offers if Liverpool can agree a deal with Real.

"Manchester United are desperate to sign Owen and have offered him a lucrative deal but if he re-signed for us, he'd actually be taking a reduction in his wages.

"Things are complicated but there could be a solution."

We'd like to see Owen brought home as would the majority of Liverpool supporters as our poll @ www.koptalknews.com shows. However, Manchester United's interest is very strong. Owen is a close pal of Sir Alex Ferguson's through their interest in horse racing and although signing for the enemy isn't something that the England striker would want to do, if a deal between Liverpool and Real Madrid can't be worked out, speculation of a move to Old Trafford could become a reality.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Whatever about Owen id hate to loose Alonso,he is different class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

tel922001 wrote:
    Owen is a close pal of Sir Alex Ferguson's through their interest in horse racing
    Really?? :confused:

Really?? :confused:
    did ye not know Owen is a serious gambler, and owns quite a few horses, and ive known for quite a bit of his close relation to sir alex, and on the other matter loosing alonso would be a right kick in the balls

There is no way in hell Rafa would use Alonso in any sort of deal to re-sign Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Unless Alonso wants to go.
    People forget that players like Reyes Ronaldo Alonso all probably dreamed of one day playing for Real Madrid and Barca and that a major challenge of these players will be keeping them at your club.
    Look at Reyes last year for example, and Ronaldo over the summer. Its a tough tough job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Alonso is going nowhere, and owen is not an option.... now has anyone got any realistic gossip or rumours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

alonso is proberly one of the most important first team players at liverpool.
    What about this young guy jack hobbs is he any good?

good move for partridge as hes with wednesday now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Hobbs is a highly rated defender and turned down arsenal to make his move to Melwood.

I posted about the years loan deal to liverpool for owen a few days ago so its encouraging that it's hitting the mainstream media now.

Alonso had the choice to join Madrid but chose not to as he was concerned about the lack of first team opportunities. With regards to settling in Liverpool he has a great grasp of the language and is even studying business part time in the city so i dont think theres much fear of him being unsettled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Selling Alonso would be the biggest mistake of the decade for Liverpool i rate him above Stevie and believe he will become World Class in the next season 2 seasons.

His vision and passing is second to none and his energy is boundless.
    It would be a step back into the dark ages if we did this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

he's not going to be sold thats ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

galwaydude wrote:
    alonso is proberly one of the most important first team players at liverpool.
    What about this young guy jack hobbs is he any good?

good move for partridge as hes with wednesday now.

Hasnt signed yet! still in negotiations over a possibel 6 month contract to show what he can do and then have an option for 2/3 year contract......we need cover since Jon-paul McGovern is injuryed so he will get his game if he signs!!

Richie signed for wednesday at the end of last week mate.

He signed a 6 month contract

A friend just told me that Liverpool have asked Garcia to give up the no. 10 shirt for next season.

Could this be due to all of the Owen 10 shirts in the club shop stockroom????

:cool:

Paul Sturrock has revealed that he is in discussion with a view to bringing trialists Frankie Simek and Ritchie Partridge to Hillsborough.

Simek appeared in the Owls' friendly at Grimsby Town before travelling with the squad to Scotland, where Partridge joined up with the team.

Both players impressed Sturrock in their spells training and player with the club and the Wednesday gaffer has now sat down with the pair and their agents hoping to reach an agreement.

"We're in negotiations with Partridge and Simek and their agents. That's ongoing," he continued.

"They've done very well. Simek is a young laddie, in development, who showed fantastic pace and good defensive qualities which we like, so he's definitely someone we're interested in.

"The boy Partridge came in and was very exciting on the wing. We need competition for places."

Simek signed last week, no confirmation yet on partridge signing yet! according to the papers he has but hasn't been annouced by the club yet! they announced the signing of Simek last week but not Partridge!!!

Sheffield Wednesday have completed the signing of talented wide man Ritchie Partridge.

The former Liverpool midfielder has put pen to paper on a six month deal at the Championship new boys and is now looking to impress at Hillsborough.

Partridge spent last term on-loan at Coventry City and quickly established himself as a more than capable performer at this level.

The player's agent, Neil Sang, has told skysports.com about his client's excitement at earning a move to the Yorkshire outfit.

Partridge, 24-years-old, is already looking forward to the new campaign as he looks to establish himself under Paul Sturrock.

''Ritchie's signed a six-month deal,'' Sang told skysports.com.

''And we'll be looking to extend it. Ritchie's excited.

''Sheffield are a massive club and he's really looking to push on.

''If his performances are right at this level then it's looking good for his career.

''It's certainly a big challenge for the player.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

ianomccabe wrote:
    A friend just told me that Liverpool have asked Garcia to give up the no. 10 shirt for next season.

Could this be due to all of the Owen 10 shirts in the club shop stockroom????

:cool:
    Or Figo......

I think Owen would take any jersey to play for Liverpool again. Figo would be more the type to demand a particular number I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Everton keen on baros now...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/08/02/story214429.html

and by the way, is figo EVER going to make up his mind, has he a deadline or anything???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

VinnyL wrote:
    and by the way, is figo EVER going to make up his mind, has he a deadline or anything???
    Apparently Inter have given him until Thursday and if he does not join by then they are moving on.
    Source

• Advertisement

galwaydude wrote:
    Sheffield Wednesday have completed the signing of talented wide man Ritchie Partridge.

The former Liverpool midfielder has put pen to paper on a six month deal at the Championship new boys and is now looking to impress at Hillsborough.

Partridge spent last term on-loan at Coventry City and quickly established himself as a more than capable performer at this level.

The player's agent, Neil Sang, has told skysports.com about his client's excitement at earning a move to the Yorkshire outfit.

Partridge, 24-years-old, is already looking forward to the new campaign as he looks to establish himself under Paul Sturrock.

''Ritchie's signed a six-month deal,'' Sang told skysports.com.

''And we'll be looking to extend it. Ritchie's excited.

''Sheffield are a massive club and he's really looking to push on.

''If his performances are right at this level then it's looking good for his career.

''It's certainly a big challenge for the player.''

Its strange the club website hasnt announced him yet! anyway glad this move has worked out.....need a player like Ritchie on the wing! we where lacking it on a few occasions last season from the left!
    also good move for Ritchie.....hopefully wont get injuryed again and will earn a long term contract at Wednesday....would love to see him back in ireland squad and of course joined by Whelan!!

Figo ruled out Liverpool a week ago, Inter are just waiting now, if nothing happens he won't be moving

It was wednesday of last week when the deal was signed so it's probably been and gone from the official site. They were hesitant to give him a long deal as they want to see how his knees hold up so a 6 month deal was agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rafa still hasn't ruled out getting him in though, so maybe some slight chance.. who knows.. On the Baros to Everton thing, i wonder if evertonians have forgiven him for that savage tackle he got sent off for against them last year?

Think of it though
    • Baros is obviously for sale
    • Le Tallec is being let go out on loan
    • Cisse has been and could posibly be a right winger in Rafa's plans
    • Sinama only yesterday returned full training after an ACL injury

This would indicate that if Rafa is going to let both Baros and le Tallec go then a loan move for owen would seem likely

Or perhaps the fact that Cisse is being turned into a right winger is an indication of his intention to palye ra 4-3-2-1 system with a lone striker, in which case a move for loan is very unlikely.
    Also why in the world would Real Madrid want to loan out Owen.
    Wages are not a real issue for them, and since he banged in 15 goals last season from the bench, surely they'd like him around

• Advertisement

THe reason a loan move would suit is because (from what i've heard) the money liverpool have left is earmarked for a centre back and rightly so.

Any loan move would be with a fee agreed to buy after a season

not sure if owen would be a good idea as we have nando, crouch and cisse and then young flo is coming back and did i mention baros.

All we need is a class centre back

any news on that young spanish fullback we bought. Has he played yet?

Just watching the news now, Sunderland have signed Le Tallec on a season-long loan.

Barragan is only young and i would expect to see him in first team action maybe next season not this one.

Unless he over impresses that is, rafa has already taken the pressure off him by saying he has bought him for the future and not the present.

• Advertisement

good move for le tallac, he will get good experience and will come back a better player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

and le tallac is staying in england this time, so we'll get to see him every week too!! good stuff! i hope that clause is in his contract so he cant play agianst us though..

VinnyL wrote:
    and le tallac is staying in england this time, so we'll get to see him every week too!! good stuff! i hope that clause is in his contract so he cant play agianst us though..
    I'm pretty sure the Premier League made that mandatory last season.

Jack Hobbs to sign on the 17th birthday on the 18th of august

wonder how long it will take former liverpool youth team player JP kelly who is at Bohs now and playing very well, will go back to england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

VinnyL wrote:
    your dead right about there being no sentiment in football, but there is loyalty, and after 2 or 3 games saying that he turns like the luas is a bit harsh, it is pre season after all. he has shown us what he can do before, and although we need another centre half i think hyypia will be a big part of our squad this season

I think Hyppia is past holding down a top place in a top team mainly due to his slow turn of pace. He has other attributes which are very positive, such as in the air and his reading of the game, and tackling, which are both good. And when he comes forward he can be dangerous and awkward in the box. But when in a one-on-one situation or a race for the ball, Sami, alas will always come out second best. This problem has got progressively worse over the last few seasons, its not due to pre-season lack of fitness.

When in the Henchoz-Hyppia pairing, Henchoz did most of the covering and at times did a brilliant job, saving Sami. Carra also did a super-human effort to mop up gaps left by Sami when in the pairing with Carra. Liverpool could get by with Hyppia but he can be a cause of goals due to his lack of turn of pace, and this can be costly in some games. If Liverpool are aiming to be a top team, then Sami, alas, needs to be replaced.

I agree on the loyalty aspect, we shouldnt come down like a ton of bricks on players that have served us well in the past, including Hyppia, Owen, and MacManaman. If we have cheered them on and thought that they did a brilliant job for us on the pitch on many occasions, and over several seasons, then when there is a time for change, for whatever reason, its best to say thanks, and move on.

In terms of Owen, I dont think this would be a good move for Liverpool. Its clearly a good move for him though, although I think he would also be happy with a move to Man U. Liverpool have the first refusal which gets in the way of a disposal now that Real have Robinho.

Baros, still not sold, now possibly going to Everton (!) - I still think Benitez could use him more than the 7m (Crouch value). A little bit surprised to see La Tallec loaned out as Benitez seemed to be putting him in his plans, but I guess it was putting him in the window, which was half-suspected. That was savvy by Benitez. If Baros goes and no Owen, then Liverpool could be light up-front once again if injuries happen, and I have no doubt that they will. I'm half-expecting Morientes to get a knock this year.

Great to see Gerrard on form though and this momentum should see us get 4th place in the league. The final position will depend on the performance level of the other teams and who, if any, of the rest can put in a run ala Everton last season.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Michael Owen has admitted having discussions with 3 or 4 English clubs about a return to the premiership

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4741707.stm
    Owen reveals Premiership interest
    Michael Owen has admitted talking with "three or four" Premiership clubs amid reports he wants to return to England.

The 25-year-old striker's position at Real Madrid has been put in doubt since the arrivals of Brazilian duo Julio Baptista and Robinho at the Bernabeu.

Newcastle have confirmed their interest in Owen while Manchester United have been linked with the England forward.

Owen said: "With Real's knowledge there's been brief dialogue although no formal negotiations have taken place."

Owen added: "During my four days off, there have been two big signings confirmed by the club and I can understand why this has resulted in speculation about my future.

"Real Madrid contacted my advisers over the weekend and explained that they wanted me to stay but that they would not stand in my way if the right opportunity arose for me to return to the Premiership."

Newcastle manager Graeme Souness is desperately in need of a new striker and would relish the chance of bringing Owen to Tyneside.

However, it has been widely reported that Owen would not leave Real for a club that had not qualified for the Champions League.

I am off to Austria with the rest of the squad to undertake an important 14-day pre-season fitness programme - I do not envisage anything happening during this time

With Arsenal, Chelsea and his former club Liverpool ruling themselves out of the running, that appeared to leave Manchester United in pole position for the £11m-rated goal poacher.

Despite fervoured speculation, Owen is in no rush to leave Real after just one season in the Spanish capital following his £8m move from Anfield last summer.

"I am off to Austria with the rest of the squad to undertake an important 14-day pre-season fitness programme and I do not envisage anything happening during this time," he added.

"When I joined Real Madrid, I was considered by most people to be fourth-choice striker and yet I still managed to start 26 games and score 16 goals.

"I am confident that the Real Madrid president, Senor (Florentino) Perez, will have my best interests at heart whatever happens.

"In the meantime, I am preparing myself physically and mentally for the coming season and hopefully the World Cup which follows it."

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

I don't think that Baros will go to Everton. Even less likely if they get beaten by Villareal.

Waster wrote:
    I don't think that Baros will go to Everton. Even less likely if they get beaten by Villareal.

Nobody else seems to want him except Villa....see him last nite on TV3? was wearing an Alice band and had a handbag with him! Fergie wont be signing him anyway!! unles he wants a boot in the head!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW8697050803-1356.htm

Behind the scenes Liverpool are looking at the possibility of bringing Michael Owen back to Anfield, whether on loan or on a permanent deal report Anfield Road.com

Manager Rafael Benitez will not deny the interest in the player until the situation is resolved one way or the other. With Real Madrid just back in training today after their world tour, the two clubs will be able to resume talks over both Owen and Luis Figo.

Before the second leg against FBK Kaunas Benitez was asked by ITV2 if he was looking just for a centre-back and a right-sided midfielder, not a centre-forward such as Michael Owen. His answer: "At this moment we have a lot of strikers". The interviewer continued, "So Michael Owen is not an option?" to which Rafa replied, smiling, "we are looking for a centre-back and a right-winger."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Looks like Figo is finally going to Inter.
    Source: Sky Sports
    Internazionale appear to have finally agreed a deal to sign Luis Figo.

Reports emanating from Italy and Spain suggest Figo is set to leave Real's Austrian training camp to fly into Italy to put the finishing touches to the move.

Inter have been locked in talks with Figo and Real for some time over a possible move.

The deal was upheld with Figo away on Real's tour of America and Asia.

Figo has been linked with a move away from Real all summer with the Portuguese legend dropping down the pecking order at El Santiago Bernabeu.

Liverpool expressed an interest in signing Figo, but it now seems Inter have won the race for his signature.

Inter's transfer consultant Gabriele Oriali claims the move could be finalised on Thursday, with Figo reported to have agreed a two-year deal at the Giuseppe Mezza.

"Figo isn't a Nerazzurri player yet, but he could well become one tomorrow," said Oriali.

"The only thing separating us now is land, as he is in Spain.

"I don't think there will be time to put his name in the Champions League preliminaries list."

Should, as expected, Figo complete his move, he will join Santiago Solari and Walter Samuel in moving to Inter from Real this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

bollox anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Crouch out for 3 weeks

Source: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=296405&CPID=8&CLID=14&lid=&title=Crouch+blow+for+Reds&channel=football_home
    Liverpool striker Peter Crouch will miss next week's UEFA Champions League third round qualifying tie.

The summer signing from Southampton picked up a hamstring strain in Tuesday's 2-0 win over Kaunas.

Crouch was forced off early in the second half after pulling up with the problem.

Scans have now shown a light strain and that means Crouch will miss the second leg of the third round qualifying tie as well as the first.

The England international will already be missing for the start of the new Premiership season through suspension, but he will be hoping to make a speedy recovery as he looks to establish himself at Anfield.

Meanwhile, Djibril Cisse has vowed to prove himself this season and a serious injury ruined his debut campaign at Anfield.

Cisse made a quicker than expected recovery from his career threatening leg injury last season to play in the final few games of the campaign and help Liverpool win the Champions League.

The Frenchman has begun the new season in fine style with three goals in his last three games and he believes there is more to come from him.

This season, you are going to see another Liverpool and people will see another Djibril Cisse. I'm ready now, this is going to be my season," said Cisse..

"After all I went through last season it is only normal for me to want to pay everyone back. I owe so much.

"The club was always behind me, always believed in me, even when I was seriously injured. I owe it to all my friends and to all the fans who were there for me.

"I am now happy with my game but not totally happy, I can be a lot better still, I think I have a lot more to offer for the team.

"I have made a lot of progress since my Auxerre days but there is still plenty to come.

"I think my left foot is better now and I am better in the air too. But I have still got some way to go - I'm not yet at Thierry Henry's level.

"I have set myself a target. I've got to score at least 20 goals in the Premier League this season. That's achievable.

"From here on in, things are going to get better and better. I see only happiness ahead."

This was the most interesting bit from cisse tho..
    "This season, you are going to see another Liverpool and people will see another Djibril Cisse. I'm ready now, this is going to be my season," said Cisse.."
    "I have set myself a target. I've got to score at least 20 goals in the Premier League this season. That's achievable. "

Have to say I think this guys going to be Big! Has the best attitude ever and bundles of raw talent! Apparantly he's faster then Henry too..

we'll cope

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Crouch out for 3 weeks

Source: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=296405&CPID=8&CLID=14&lid=&title=Crouch+blow+for+Reds&channel=football_home

This was the most interesting bit from cisse tho..
    "This season, you are going to see another Liverpool and people will see another Djibril Cisse. I'm ready now, this is going to be my season," said Cisse.."
    "I have set myself a target. I've got to score at least 20 goals in the Premier League this season. That's achievable. "

Have to say I think this guys going to be Big! Has the best attitude ever and bundles of raw talent! Apparantly he's faster then Henry too..

he is rebel , he is the fastest french squad player , about two years ago they done a hundred meter sprint in the training camp and he left them all for dead, it was when all the hype about houiler was buying him

Liverpool may launch a shock move to bring former striker Michael Owen back to Anfield after he admitted interest from Premiership clubs.
    Owen may leave Real Madrid in an £11m deal after the Spanish giants signed Robinho and Julio Baptista.

Liverpool had been eliminated from the race for the 25-year-old after paying £7m to sign Southampton's Peter Crouch.

But BBC Sport understands the Reds have not ruled out a deal that would see Owen return after a year in Spain.

It had been thought boss Rafael Benitez had been reluctant to bring Owen back to Anfield, only 12 months after he left in an £8m transfer before playing a competitive game for the Spaniard.

And it is believed several pieces of the Benitez jigsaw would still have to fall into place before the possibility of a dramatic Owen return could become reality.

Benitez's current top priority is a central defender, with Birmingham's Matthew Upson and Deportivo La Coruna's Jorge Andrade on his hit-list.

And Liverpool would then need the cash to finance any Owen deal - with much depending on raking in £7m for Milan Baros and how much they would have to pay for their top defensive target.

But Liverpool are confident of getting their asking price for the 23-year-old Czech striker, who is surplus to requirements.

Everton have not come back to Liverpool with a bid after making an initial inquiry, while Aston Villa have so far refused to go above £6m.

But BBC Sport can reveal Monaco have now entered the race for Baros, and former boss Gerard Houllier retains an interest in taking him to Lyon.

Owen has been linked with Manchester United and Newcastle, with Liverpool very much regarded as the outsiders.

But United have cooled and Owen will show no interest in Newcastle after they were knocked out of the Intertoto Cup by Deportivo La Coruna.

It is understood Owen would jump at the chance to play for Liverpool again, and while it is still regarded as a long shot inside Anfield, the Merseysiders have not - despite suggestions to the contrary - ruled it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

crouch is banned for first 2 prem games anyway cos he picked up a red card with S'ton on last game of season, so he wouldn't have been playing anyway.

Time well spent those 2 weeks for the physios to find his hamstrings... :D

id rather not take owen back but also wouldnt like to see him at the enemy utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

tel922001 wrote:
    id rather not take owen back but also wouldnt like to see him at the enemy utd
    I'd take him back....he'll get 20 goals no problem a season. Only Cisse at the moment is claiming he can do it, so we're still short on lethal firepower up front.
    Morientes is still in 1st gear, Crouch is not a 20 goal a season man. FSP is the only other one given a good run would probably get 10-15 a season, so he's somebody we can't rule out.

• Advertisement

owen and cisse upfront would be delicious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement