Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where's that from galwaydude?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

skypsorts,bbc website and liverpoolfc.tv as well

i know he is injured but its crazy how he got refused when you see clubs like Chesterfield is confident of signing Zimbabwean midfielder Honour Gombami for example. This was from last week

The 22-year-old impressed the Saltergate manager during a pre-season trial with the League One club this summer.

I know he hasnt signed yet but its scandelous if they let a zimbabwean in before gonzoles for example.I hope he does eventually sign for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

on liverpoolfc.tv, benitez has stated that he will sell baros if the money is right, and that he is looking for a new CB.

excellent, read that too, hopefully someone good but as liverpool are European champions then every club is going to hike up the prices for its players, be it liverpool or chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

galwaydude wrote:
    i know he is injured but its crazy how he got refused when you see clubs like Chesterfield is confident of signing Zimbabwean midfielder Honour Gombami for example. This was from last week

The 22-year-old impressed the Saltergate manager during a pre-season trial with the League One club this summer.

I know he hasnt signed yet but its scandelous if they let a zimbabwean in before gonzoles for example.I hope he does eventually sign for us.
    Zimbabwe are ranked 53 in the latest rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

hyppia signs deal to keep him at anfield until 2008...

Hyypia, 31, will sign the new deal upon Liverpool's return from their Champions League tie against CSKA Sofia.

The Finn told Liverpool's website: "I'm very happy to agree a new contract, we've been talking for a few weeks.

"I had no hesitation in committing my future to Rafa Benitez and it's an honour to say I'll be here for at least another three years."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ, i love the guy, and i firmly believe he has a massive part to play in this season, maybe even a bit part next year, but 3 years? christ by then he could well make pellegrino look like speedy gonzalez!

maybe just a loyalty/reward contract? wonder if its at reduced wages for the latter years or something?

thebhoy wrote:
    hyppia signs deal to keep him at anfield until 2008...
    Jesus, that's ridiculous. I am a big fan of the guy but three years is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

A contract very much out of loyalty. He turns like the Sealink these days and will cost us goals against speedy forwards. Still very hard to beat in the air, so you gotta take the rough with the smooth. Played his best stuff in the Champions League when he was rested for the previous weekends game in the League (see Pellegringo) so maybe deploy him in the same manner?

Madess really, one year fine 3 years nuts. Rafa does'nt "owe" him anything really so forget loyalty reward. Maybe he's going to be the next defence coach?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

He can certainly do a job this year, and Id be comfortable with him used as back-up again next year.

The third year is a bit strange but Im sure RB knows what he is doing. I wouldnt be surprised to see him join the coaching staff, he has been a great servant, loves the club, would be well respected for all he has achieved, and has a smashing attitude that every player should strive for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

BolBill wrote:
    A contract very much out of loyalty. He turns like the Sealink these days and will cost us goals against speedy forwards. Still very hard to beat in the air, so you gotta take the rough with the smooth. Played his best stuff in the Champions League when he was rested for the previous weekends game in the League (see Pellegringo) so maybe deploy him in the same manner?
    Damn, if only we still had Pellegringo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

BolBill wrote:

At the momet there aren't many other players available. Whitbread could play some games in the league and give Sami a rest. He is slow, but this season, until Benitez signs a ew CB, Hyppia is in the 1st 11. Whitbread may prove us all wrong but I dont think he is wordclass material. Next year I could see Hyppia as a back up. The 3rd year is probably too much, but Rafa is hedging his bets and Hyppia's agent was probably looking for 4 years.

Btw, is Baros playing tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Moores and Parry weren't at the game i sofia last night. Apparently in the middle of finishing the signing of a small chap that scores a lot of goals.And selling one that must have a fettish for his feet considering he looks at them so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

redspider wrote:
    Whitbread may prove us all wrong but I dont think he is wordclass material.

I doubt whitbread will prove us all wrong because I have been a fan of his for a while now, I think that he is a good defender who has not yet had the break in the first team that he needs. Give him a run for a couple of weeks and then judge him until then, unless you have seen him playing in the reserves (where he got player of the season) you have no idea what he is capable of as with many of the rest of the participants of this thread. I have seen him play now on quite a few occasions, he is solid and has a nice turn of pace, good in the air and full of confidence (important in a defender too). If he gets a good run oin the team I have absolutely no doubt that he will go on to great things. He can fill in at left back too which is always an advantage if Djimi decides to start sticking in the OGs again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

jem wrote:
    Moores and Parry weren't at the game i sofia last night. Apparently in the middle of finishing the signing of a small chap that scores a lot of goals.And selling one that must have a fettish for his feet considering he looks at them so much
    thats the best way i heard of describing baros 'fettish for feet'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

galwaydude wrote:
    "In Chile, they have sold about 1,000 Liverpool shirts - that's how important a player he is over there.

They obviously just want to sign him to crack the Chilean market! ;)

that quote was from the liverpool website, not mine, anyways 1000 shirts is nothing really. It was a tongue in cheek comment from benitez

...4 of the Spaniards are included in the latest national squad for the game
    against Uruguay. Reina, Luid Garcia, Alonso and Morientes.

Oh yes the Owen latest is that Alan Kennedy (star player of late 70s/80s)
    has said on liverpool radio that he belives St Michael will be signing. I've seen it reported that Parry has been busy in the last couple of days and not traveling to Bulgaria. Fergie has ruled Utd out so it looks like us or Newcastle.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd be interested to know if Reina, Luis Garcia and Alonso regularly made the spanish squad before they moved to Liverpool. How many of the four are expected to be in the first eleven? Alonso almost a cert, but the rest?

With regards the St. Mick saga, I'd take him back, on the previso that we secure a quality central defender as well. He'll have seen what we can do without him and hopefully won't think he's bigger than the club this time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Not sure any of them would get into the first eleven. Casillas is blocking Reina, Garcia would have to compete with Joaquin and Exteberria, while Morientes has about half a dozen other forwards to compete with for the slots up top. Alonso maybe, though he's got to compete with Albelda, Baraja and Xavi. (Fabregas soon too!! :p)

Impressive amount of talent Spain have, they never seem to be able to use it properly though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Alonso wasn't and still isn't starting team for spain.

They almost alwats play Baraja and Albelda and Xavi rotating between those two mista and jaoquin on the wings.

Infact none of Liverpools spainish players are starters for spain, not saying they aren't capable mind (well besides Luis Garcia, he has no chance).

I doubt whitbread will prove us all wrong because I have been a fan of his for a while now, I think that he is a good defender who has not yet had the break in the first team that he needs. Give him a run for a couple of weeks and then judge him ... he is solid and has a nice turn of pace, good in the air and full of confidence (important in a defender too). If he gets a good run oin the team I have absolutely no doubt that he will go on to great things. He can fill in at left back too which is always an advantage if Djimi decides to start sticking in the OGs again.

I would be more than happy if he does turn out to be a gem. He has played a few times already in the 1st team but not enough to judge. He is young, 21. He is an American but came through the Academy. The problem with reserve games is that they aren't competitive, they are after all reserve games and nothing is at stake, so performances there cant be used as a yardstick. It looks like Benitez likes him anyway, and he has signed a new contract, so he will get his chance this season. He's at a perfect age to begin to shine so lets see. Will he be a new Carra?

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kaids wrote:
    Impressive amount of talent Spain have, they never seem to be able to use it properly though.

Bit like england. They neverseem to have a manager strong enough to defy the media and play the right team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

A contract very much out of loyalty. He turns like the Sealink these days and will cost us goals against speedy forwards. Still very hard to beat in the air, so you gotta take the rough with the smooth.

if we're comparing defenders ability to turn to that of ships, then jaap stam turned like an aircraft carrier when he was at man utd, nevermind now.

the difference between good defenders and bad diffenders is the players ability to read the game, a bit of pace is also handy....

pellegrino could read the game well - he had NO pace

traore doesnt read the game well - but he's a great tackler

hyypia reads the game well and he's also go enough pace left....so thats why he's still playing an important role

3 years seems a bit much, but at the end of this season he could still be sold off for half a mill to celtic or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

rafa isnt afraid of age some of the players at valencia were ancient, hypia knows the premiership and still has two years in him at any rate. better keep him than sell him imo

id actually be surprised now of we dont get owen it really seems possible :D

kaids wrote:
    Not sure any of them would get into the first eleven. Casillas is blocking Reina, Garcia would have to compete with Joaquin and Exteberria, while Morientes has about half a dozen other forwards to compete with for the slots up top. Alonso maybe, though he's got to compete with Albelda, Baraja and Xavi. (Fabregas soon too!! :p)

thats the same as england massive amount of talent, but cant gel together, its a waste really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

tel922001 wrote:
    thats the same as england massive amount of talent, but cant gel together, its a waste really
    I honestly can see england challenging next year for the world cup.
    Defence is solid, midfielders in abundance although they still lack that holding midfield player and Sven is too chicken to drop Lampard or Gerrard in favour of one, if he had one.
    Up front, no problem either.

Midfield will be their problem. Can't see Lamps or SG sitting back. The team is best served with them gong forward.

Englands first choice CB pairing is going to be Terry & Rio. I would put Carra in the holding midlfield role with SG or Lamps in front. My 2c

its sicking the amount of centre backs the have to choose from , same with strickers and midfield, ireland have to scrap the bottom of the barrel for some half decent players, i think carragher should be i nthe first 11, but sven wont drop terry or rio for the same reason he wont drop gerrard or lampard,

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:
    the difference between good defenders and bad diffenders is the players ability to read the game, a bit of pace is also handy....
    hyypia reads the game well and he's also go enough pace left....so thats why he's still playing an important role
    3 years seems a bit much, but at the end of this season he could still be sold off for half a mill to celtic or something

I dont think Hyppia has enough pace. He was always slow, but it has got worse in recent seasons. When the defence gets flat, and if Carra cant cover or has been enticed out following a forward, Hyppia is vulnerable and goals come as a result.

I agree that he is a good reader of the game, but not perfect. And we know if his strength in the air in defence, and how he can be difficult for other defences when he goes forward, an attribute we should not forget. He needs a brilliant partner though, and he has always had that with Carra and before that Henchoz, and he needs his full backs also to provide cover with pace, such as Finnan, Riise and Traore.

The point you make about the 3 year contract and his potential selling is a good one. Perhaps Liverpool will get more money if they they sell him after 2 seasons with a year remaining than if they just signed him for 2 years and let him go on a Bosman/Free at the end. It might only be a million or a half, but it all counts.

redspider

ps: lads, less of the england formation discussions, off topic for this thread!

redspider wrote:
    I dont think Hyppia has enough pace. He was always slow, but it has got worse in recent seasons. When the defence gets flat, and if Carra cant cover or has been enticed out following a forward, Hyppia is vulnerable and goals come as a result.

I agree that he is a good reader of the game, but not perfect. And we know if his strength in the air in defence, and how he can be difficult for other defences when he goes forward, an attribute we should not forget. He needs a brilliant partner though, and he has always had that with Carra and before that Henchoz, and he needs his full backs also to provide cover with pace, such as Finnan, Riise and Traore.

The point you make about the 3 year contract and his potential selling is a good one. Perhaps Liverpool will get more money if they they sell him after 2 seasons with a year remaining than if they just signed him for 2 years and let him go on a Bosman/Free at the end. It might only be a million or a half, but it all counts.

redspider

ps: lads, less of the england formation discussions, off topic for this thread!

i think he will be too old to get anything at all, i feel benetiz is looking for the same type of player but with a little speed, thats the only thing that he lacks, on the 3 year deal, i think its for a new defender to come in and over lap wat sami is already doin and i think zak witbread could be a very good replacement , but he needs experience, but 2 seasons and sami's help in experience i think he can be just as good and the young lad has alot of pace, benitez done the same with didi hamaan, sisoko is an identical player to him another year extension and i guarantee sisoko will be doin the same job as didi , but he has 10 yrs left in him , didi might have one more after this, i think in my eyes i can see wat benitez is doin he is lookin at the long haul not just a quick botch job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

its sicking the amount of centre backs the have to choose from , same with strickers and midfield, ireland have to scrap the bottom of the barrel for some half decent players, i think carragher should be i nthe first 11, but sven wont drop terry or rio for the same reason he wont drop gerrard or lampard,

Terry ain't in the first team yet.
    The preferred pairing is Campbell and Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Looks like Villa want to meet Liverpool halfway on the valuation of Milan Baros

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/4144622.stm

BBC Sport wrote:
    Villa to increase bid for Baros

Aston Villa are ready to meet Liverpool halfway in a bid to land Czech international striker Milan Baros.

Villa intially said they would not pay more than £6m for the 23-year-old, while Liverpool insisted they would not compromise on their £7m asking price.

However, the Birmingham club are now prepared to increase their bid to £6.5m, with further talks expected with Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry.

It is believed Villa have not yet been given permission to talk to Baros.

The Czech star has never managed to cement a regular place in the Liverpool side since arriving at Anfield in 2001.

However, last season he was Liverpool's joint top-scorer with 13 goals, having found himself thrust into the first team following the long-term injury to French international Djbril Cisse.

With the new season about to begin Baros finds himself behind a fit-again Cisse, Fernando Morientes and Peter Crouch in the pecking order.

However, the Czech striker is not short of suitors, with Everton, Schalke 04, West Ham, Lyon and Valencia having already shown interest.

If Monaco really are looking to take him on loan, we should go for that. If he manages to capture the form he showed at Euro2004 it'll push his value up at the very least, if not force his way into Rafa's plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

If Monaco really are looking to take him on loan, we should go for that. If he manages to capture the form he showed at Euro2004 it'll push his value up at the very least, if not force his way into Rafa's plans.
    I'd go along with that, ideally sell him last Summer but that's no longer an option - his value could soar or alternatively in a years time he'd still be worth at least 5mil.

One negative is we'd carry on paying part of his wages but he's possibly not on that big a wage anyway...

If we put him out on loan though, we'd need to get him to sign a contract extension first, even if he got class in the next year he'd still only have a year left on contract which drags his value way down.

A good idea though, would love to see what he can do without having to lose him!

from football365
    Milan Baros could join Monaco on loan after signing a two-year extension to his contract...

It's the best solution to me. There's no doubt about his talent, but he needs first team football to develop as a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Baros wont be going anywhere on loan, why would we let one of our best strikers go on loan to another club, we're not idiots like chelsea.

baros will only be going for cash, rafa has reiterated this plenty of times over the past 2 weeks. if he doesnt get what they value him at, then he'll be staying.

and football 365 is the only place saying baros signed an extension, i havent seen it anywhere else yet

• Advertisement

Afaik to page linked to is a round-up of paper gossip.

I don't see why it's a bad idea. We already have 3 forwards capable of playing week in, week out in Crouch, Cisse and Morientes, and with back-up like Flo Po and the possible arrival of Owen, he does seem to be surplus to requirements. A move, even a loan one, would be good for Baros, and it'd mean Liverpool won't be stuck with an unhappy player sitting on the bench while his value continues to decrease.

Good artical laden with Benitez quotes on the coming season (which starts tomorrow!!!)
    Taken from liverpoolfc.tv
    Rafael Benitez today insisted his new look squad is capable of coping with the physical pressures of this season's Premiership campaign.

The Reds' boss was disappointed with his team's lack of fight in certain away games last year, but he believes he has made the necessary additions to his squad to ensure the same mistakes aren't repeated this time around.

"What happened against us a lot last season was teams started matches hitting lots of high passes and fighting for the second ball," said the manager. "They caused problems and we didn't control the games away from home.

"This happens at every level in England. It's interesting to see that Crystal Palace and Southampton lost in their league this week, yet they beat us last season. This underlines what I'm saying. You have to be careful and be prepared for every game in England. Maybe you're a better team with better players, but it's always very difficult to get results. There were times last season when we didn't fight hard enough.

"This is why I've bought the players I have this summer. When I look at the players I have now, I'm confident. Look at Sissoko. Look at the energy he will give us. He is someone who will work hard and fight for us every time he plays.

"Crouch is a player who is good in the air and will keep the ball in attack for us. When you think of the games we lost away last season, maybe it's easy to understand why it's going to be helpful to have players like this available to us.

"There are far more options for me with the team now, but I still want to improve the side. We are trying to bring in at least two more players if it's possible. If we do that, I will have two good players for each position and we will always have a strong side."

Benitez isn't promising a title success to follow last season's Champions League glory, but he doesn't mind hearing people talk about his side as Premiership contenders.

"Because we've won a lot of games, we'll go into this season with a lot of confidence," he said. "We are scoring goals and winning matches, but we know how difficult the Premiership is.

"My message to the players is always the same. Our objective is to win the next game. If we keep doing this, you will see a stronger Liverpool and we can start to think about other goals.

"For sure, we intend to have a better season than last year in the league. That means overall improvements are needed, particularly away from home.

"I'm not going to say we'll come first, second or third. I will say we intend to win a lot of games and then we'll see if this team has the power to fight with those good teams at the top.

"What I want is for us to score more goals and prove we are more consistent. In the Premiership we didn't do this, but I'm sure this year we will be better. Last year we could win two games and then lose two. Now I expect the team to play at the same level all the time."

Rafa shows interest in Owen:
    Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has admitted he would like to bring Michael Owen back to Anfield, but claims it will be tough to push through a deal for the Real Madrid man.

Owen's future at Real looks bleak, as the signings of Brazilian duo Robinho and Julio Baptista are likely to force the England marksman further down the pecking order.

A return to The Premiership would certainly appeal to Owen in what is a World Cup year and he has attracted strong interest from Newcastle.

Owen is not keen on heading to Tyneside due to their failure to secure a place in Europe, but a return to his previous club would be an entirely different matter.

Benitez has remained coy on the prospect of bringing Owen back to Anfield for much of the summer, but he has now admitted that he would be keen on landing the 25-year-old if he can engineer a deal.

The Spanish tactician feels any move for Owen hinges on whether he can secure a sizeable fee for Milan Baros.

Czech striker Baros is a target for Lyon and Aston Villa, but no deal has been thrashed out and the transfer window is due to shut in just over a fortnight.

"I am aware that Michael would like to come back," said Benitez. "I don't know if we can do something because we are waiting for a good offer for Milan Baros.

"But he is a good player and I like him. I never had any problems with him. He is a nice boy, a good professional and a very good player."

Benitez says his priorities are to land a centre half and right winger, but refused to rule out snaring Owen.

"We have 20 more days and we expect to get them in by then," he said. "I could say yes or no about Owen, but we must receive a good offer for Baros before we can proceed."
    Source: Sky Sports

Btw, sorry about the bold text but it always appears like that when copying and pasting from their site. Can't remove it.

The mornings papers are full of speculation linking Owen to us on loan for a season (which might I add I sugested as the way forwards weeks ago!). Villa
    look like upping thier bid for Baros by half a million. I think it'll happen and its all just a question of timing (apparently there is a tax issue to consider if Owen is brough back on loan).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Caught a small article on this in the Sun today (yes, the sun :() and it basically said that yes, Rafa is interested in bringing Owen back but it all depends on whether united put in a bid for him.

Talk in News of the Screws and the Sunday Express about Liverpool tableing a good offer to Real for Owen, it also was stated as a done deal on Liverpools Radio City.

Mike.

• Advertisement

And it continues -
    LIVERPOOL have put hard cash on the bargaining table this weekend in an attempt to end Michael Owen's football frustration with an immediate return to Anfield.

The European champions have offered Real Madrid a $14 million down payment for the England forward, with a further $12 million spread over the next three years to meet his $26 million valuation.

Owen is coming back, there's no way there'd be this much chatter from so many sources if the info was'nt getting out from someone in the know.

Mike.

That is an awful lot of money. There's no doubt about his quality, but will he be willing to be one of four, if not five, strikers used in rotation?

Thats Aussie dollars remember - they're worthless! :D

Owen will have to be willing if he wants to return anyway, quality will out in the end and he only needs a few games to show it.

On the defender front the Under 21 England player Joleon Lescot (of Wolves) has been mentioned in passing. As a Wolves fan I'd hate to see him leave but he'll playing hard ball with the new contract.

Mike.

Oh right, aussie dollars. That's more like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Were just waiting to get rid of baros before buying owen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement