Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

from SSN, very interesting

"Bayern Munich midfielder Hasan Salihamidzic has admitted he is flattered to be linked with a move to Liverpool.

The Bosnia-Herzegovina international has emerged as a transfer target for Liverpool, as they continue their search for more players before the close of the transfer window.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez has made a new right-sided winger one of his top targets after being frustrated in his attempts to sign Luis Figo and Stelios Giannakopoulos.

Benitez is now believed to have switched his attentions to Salihamidzic.

The 28-year-old still has two years to run on his contract at Bayern, but the German champions may listen to offers for the player, as they have a surplus of midfielders at the club.

Salihamidzic admitted he would be interested in a move to Anfield and is waiting to see if they follow up their interest.

"I have heard about interest from Liverpool and it is a great honour for me," said Salihamidzic.

"But, of course, it is not up to me. It is up to the two clubs to decide."

Liverpool are also being linked with a shock move for Aston Villa ace Nolberto Solano.

The Reds are believed to have asked Villa for Solano as part of the deal to take Milan Baros to Villa Park.

Solano is thought to be considering his future at Villa and he would jump at the chance to move to Anfield and the prospect of UEFA Champions League action."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nobby Solano? Interesting he's a winger and so is Hasan Salihamidzic, is rafa just keeping options open or does he want both? Where does that leave Luis Garcia?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I can't see him going for both players - could be the normal go for 2 players to show your not desperate for one or the other. With Pongo on the way back, Gonzales hopefully on the way in and a centre back to purchase he won't be buying two midfielders.

Solano had a good season last year, premiership experience and grabs a few goals. As he's over the 30 mark he'd be good on a 2 year contract while Pongo and Gonzales develop and find their feet.

Garcia would be in the same (though slightly stronger) position as Potter, a central player getting playing time on the right but being squeezed out. Garcia will probably still be played just behind the front man on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

Just read about Nobby Solano on the paper, he's not half bad a whipping in balls to the centre and his free kicks are fairly good too, liverpool felt the brunt of it last year or the year before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

another link here bout nobby and sali

woulnt mind gettin either of them to be honest!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Salihamidizic would be a great addition. He has tonnes of European experience and has a decent goal-scoring record as far as I remember.

Solano is a player I have always liked and would be a great if he was gotten at theright price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i dont mean to be a cynical w@anker but the likes of nobby solano and zenden in our team against the likes of duff and robben and the like doesnt exactly scream success.

i'm pretty sick of us being linked with utility men and the over 30's.

i'm actually shocked by the link to Salihamidzic because he's actually a player of the calibre of the top 3 clubs.

people have been going on about the over reliance on gerrard, even hyypia mentioned it in an interview the other day....and who have we brought in thats a natural sub for gerrard or can play alongside him?

where was the bid for aimar who wanted out of valnecia?

i dont mean to over exaggerate, but when liverpool play a match without gerrard, they could be hammered by the likes of west ham. they play like 11 uninspired generic players passing the ball about with nothing happening. its a joke

el rabitos wrote:
    i dont mean to be a cynical w@anker but the likes of nobby solano and zenden in our team against the likes of duff and robben and the like doesnt exactly scream success.

Solano has been linked in a make-weight for the Baros deal.

Zenden is a quality player who given time will prove his worth. Personally I think he would be better deployed off the front man.
    el rabitos wrote:
    people have been going on about the over reliance on gerrard, even hyypia mentioned it in an interview the other day....and who have we brought in thats a natural sub for gerrard or can play alongside him?
    Zenden could play in the central role, as could Garcia. We could switch to a 4-4-2.
    el rabitos wrote:
    One thing we dont need is injury-prone, over-rated, over-priced "superstars".
    el rabitos wrote:
    i dont mean to over exaggerate, but when liverpool play a match without gerrard, they could be hammered by the likes of west ham. they play like 11 uninspired generic players passing the ball about with nothing happening. its a joke
    There was a period last year when our results without Gerrard were better than those with him. Some of our best performances of the year were without him.

Players like Alonso, Morientes, Riise, Carragher, Finnan, Sissoko, Garcia and so forth are hardly generic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

el rabitos wrote:

i'm actually shocked by the link to Salihamidzic because he's actually a player of the calibre of the top 3 clubs.

so why were liverpool better when gerrard wasnt in the team last year, they had a better record without him?

Solano has been linked in a make-weight for the Baros deal.

if we're selling baros, i'd want 7 million, not a 30 year old make-weight and a few million
    One thing we dont need is injury-prone, over-rated, over-priced "superstars".

theres nothing superstarish about me wanting one of best attacking midfielders in the world that stated a desire to join us at the start of the summer, the guy is only 25,
    Players like Alonso, Morientes, Riise, Carragher, Finnan, Sissoko, Garcia and so forth are hardly generic

i didnt say the players we have are generic, i said they play like uninspired gerneric players when gerrard isnt playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

el rabitos wrote:

bollo* to that!!!

el rabitos wrote:
    if we're selling baros, i'd want 7 million, not a 30 year old make-weight and a few million
    Doug Ellis is tighter than a gnatts chuff. Villa have put £6M on the table, Liverpool want £7M, Villa wont go higher. Solano has been mentioned in the papers as the deal breaker that can converge both clubs valuations.
    el rabitos wrote:
    theres nothing superstarish about me wanting one of best attacking midfielders in the world that stated a desire to join us at the start of the summer, the guy is only 25
    Aimar is not one of the best attacking midfield players in the world. He is not an automatic starter at Valencia (and wasn't either under Benetiz). He is inconsistent, extremely light weight and injury prone. Its not the type of player Liverpool need.
    el rabitos wrote:
    i didnt say the players we have are generic, i said they play like uninspired gerneric players when gerrard isnt playing.
    I have the Bayer Leverkusen match at Anfield on video if you want a lend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

on a side note Chile have climed a place in the latest FIFA rankings to 72nd place.

link
    http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-Jul-2005,00.html

getting closer to the magic 70 mark :rolleyes: .
    come on we really nead Gonzalez.

u have to be mad if ya dont rait Aimar remember this is an Argentine international who ripped us apart in the Champions Leauge home and away and has scored and created goals for fun.
    i would love to see him in red and have said it before in this tread many a time.

woodyg wrote:
    u have to be mad if ya dont rait Aimar remember this is an Argentine international who ripped us apart in the Champions Leauge home and away and has scored and created goals for fun.
    i would love to see him in red and have said it before in this tread many a time.
    I never said I didnt rate him, I just dont think he is this footballing god that some people think he is.

He played so well in both the games against Liverpool that he was subbed in both of them with over twenty minutes to go.

I wouldnt say he scores goals for fun either, about 1 in 5 which is pretty poor for a player that is allergic to defending and tackling.

Doug Ellis is tighter than a gnatts chuff. Villa have put £6M on the table, Liverpool want £7M, Villa wont go higher. Solano has been mentioned in the papers as the deal breaker that can converge both clubs valuations.

well personally i'd prefere if Doug Ellis kept his gnats chuff, his 30 year old peruvian and his 6 million. if we're selling baros stick to the 7 million or keep him.
    I have the Bayer Leverkusen match at Anfield on video if you want a lend

i saw what happened at the match. leverkusen are no great shakes themselves to be honest.

and what liverpool have to deal with in the premiership is a more physical style than they experience in europe.

when gerrard doesnt play we look toothless, theres no penetration or imagination about their style of play. alonso should be stepping up alot more than he does. he restricts himself too much imo, i'd like to see him get up around the box and shoot alot more than he does.

Peru beat Chile 3-1 yesterday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

dame, tis unfair as only yesterday Yeovil town signed an argentinian player who aint an international and he got his work permit.
    Other players seem to be coming through and yet we cant have gonzalez. No fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

the reason he was substituted in those 2 games was tactical.
    he had torn us apart prior to that.

1 goal every 5 games from a midfield player is dam impressive in my book and he creates a hell of a lot more.
    His delivery from open play would be a source of goals for moro crouch and cisse.
    he see's gaps and can wip in a cross no hassle.

his international record is very impressive to.
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/c/player/178142_AIMAR_Pablo.html

he's a winner true and true.
    Aimar would be a graet adition to the team wide rigth would be solved for the next 5 years!

The Micheal Owen rumour has picked up a notch seemingly the deal is to be finalised by the end of the week!
    according to todafyfm and bbc radio.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

On the Owen thing, I also saw this :

August 18, 2005

Benítez ready to clear decks at Anfield to bring home Owen
    From Matt Dickinson, Chief Football Correspondent in Copenhagen

MICHAEL OWEN’S return to Liverpool was looking imminent last night after his former club made official contact with Real Madrid. The transfer, expected to be for about £12 million, is likely to be financed by the departure from Anfield of Djibril Cissé and Milan Baros.

Owen, whose wife, Louise, is pregnant with their second child, had feared that he might have to wait until the deadline on August 31 to be rescued from Spain, but his transfer gathered pace as Liverpool set about making room for the England forward, who was a half-time substitute as England crashed to their heaviest defeat in 25 years with a 4-1 defeat by Denmark in Copenhagen that Sven-Göran Eriksson, the head coach, described as “a disaster”.

Baros is expected to join Aston Villa for £6.5 million in the next few days, while Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, is also ready to sell Cissé. Gérard Houllier, the Lyons manager, has registered an interest and has money to spend after the £26 million transfer of Michael Essien to Chelsea. Newcastle United are also looking for a forward, although they can give up the chase for Owen as he prepares to return to Anfield.

The journo who wrote this is apparently the ghost writer for Michael Owen for the Times and is also a good friend of his too...Make of it what you will

Edit: BBC are going with this too

2 strikers for 1?? no centre half or winger? bad move rafa

• Advertisement

I'd feel gutted for Cisse (Baros knows it's coming) but the move possibly has merrits. Presuming we do get a player on the right then Garcia would presumably start to be regarded as part of our 'front 4' (Crouch, Morrientes, Garcia, Owen). If it came to finding a place for Cisse or Garcia I guess Rafa would go for Garcia.

Could be a disaster if we don't get the right-sided player though. If the report has merit then I hope we get approx 20mil from the switches (before paying for Owen).

by the time this owen deal is done the window will be closes, i've havent heard us making contact with any clubs regarding a right sided player, i've only heard rumours regarding sali and nobby, and with only 2 weeks left in the transfer window i cant see us signing anyone besides owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i would expect £15m at least for Cisse wouldnt be too sad to see him go as long as we get in another striker. also FSP could have our right wing sorted till Gonzalez comes in, had a stormer with the reserves on the right. so we could only need a defender. although Crouch, Nando, Owen, Mellor and FSP isnt too bad for a strike force.

VinnyL 2 weeks is a lot of time, considering with Rafa you never know what stage he is at with players. if he announced Owen, Andrade and a RW this afternoon i really wouldnt be surpirsed.

i hope i'm wrong all i really really do cause i'm gettin worried.

selling 2 strikers for one is a step back in my opinion, he's reducing his squad. poor aul cisse was looking good this year he must feel gutted

i repeat i do not want to see djibril cisse leaving the club. it would be an awful blow for him as he obviously loves the club. and he has an awful lot more potential than baros has. would love to see him & owen up front together.

and for anyone who doesn't think the pool should bring owen back, just remeber players like ian rush and mark hughes who left england to play on the continent, and were brought back the next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I doubt you'd get 15 million for Cisse.
    If someone was trying to buy him off you they'd probably have to bid that much, but if he is being sold, then I'd say you'll get about 10.
    That said, Cisse is a quality player, a quality young player, who really shouldn't be sold.

we dont need to sell him, and we've only heard that rafa will sell him with the right offer, and the fact we know how much Lyon have and how much Ged is willing to spend on him(£14m) we are in a strong bargaining position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I don't think we will sell Cissé. A lot of paper talk I think.

Shamrok wrote:

I'm inclined to agree there is no way he could sell Cisse(at least I hope there isnt). He has so much potential and even more pace. He has the right attitude in that he is so eager to play for Liverpool and prove himself to Benitez and the fans. He has been our top scoring striker in preseason even though he was playing on the wing in some games.

Personally I think if we sell both Baros & Cisse to bring Owen back then it is a bad move. Benitez has constantly said he wants a right winger and a central defender and this should be his priority. I would like to see Owen in a pool jersey again as we are missing a 20 goals a season man, but not at the expense of 2 very good strikers and/or a winger & defender.

• Advertisement

I personally think Cisse being sold is rubbish purely because he's cup tied. If Rafa had any intention of selling him he would have done the same with Cisse as he did with Baros and kept him out of the champs lge games. So he'd be a bit useless to a club like Lyon at the start of a new campaign in europe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Shamrok wrote:

I agree , he is cup tied ,he is shaping up to beone of the great player in the premiership this season and selling two to get one does not make sense ..

It would be madness .

according to the times there is a bid on the table from Lyon so i wouldnt be surprised if he went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I wouldnt be too concerned if Cisse goes, especially for £14/£15m . Im not a big fan. Seems to be a lot of Drogba abotu him, gets in front of goal and its more hit as hard as you can and hope than proper finishing. He doesnt seem a natural finisher, which is what we need. Gerrard obviously hasnt got much confidence in the abilities of the strikers judging by the amount of shots hes been taking on hmself lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

If the rumours are true I just wonder if Rafa is making the decision or if it is being forced upon him.. I agree with others when it just doesn't seem to make sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

There is no way Cisse will be sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

tis easy....sell Morientes....have owen up front with cisse.....
    have crouch as back up with pongole and mellor...

I'm beginning to lose patience with Garcia, sure he scored some important goals for us but he's a lightweight who squanders possession too easily...

also I hope Benitez doesn't buy Aimar, he's lightweight too and would be kicked round the place....

just my 2c's

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

I too wouldn't be too concerned with Cisse going and Owen coming in. Cisse has potential but you know what you'll get from Owen he's not that old either. I think a big reason Baro's is gone is because he's not a team player Cisse can have a lack of awareness of teammates around him as well. Gerrard and carragher (captain +Vice Captain) could have an influence on Benitez as well. Owen got on the end of great passes from gerrard on numerous occasions when they played together. Owen would probably make a better partnership with Morientes or Crouch imo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Out of Baros, Cisse, and Owen who is the proven striker? I'd certainly swap Baros and Cisse for Owen and some squad cover (centre back or winger). I'd be impressed if Rafa pulls it off.

IMO Baros had potential to be much more than he is now. He shined briefly in Euro2004 but never for 'pool.

Cisse is 24. Why is everyone saying he's a young player with great potential? At 24 Owen felt he had achieved enough to merit a chance in the pro footballers dream club (Real). Rafa prefers smart players. Last season (pre injury) Cisse was caught offside so many times it was like they didn't use that rule in France. Yes he's eager and follows instructions but he's not as clever as Owen. His best asset is his powerful shot. A 25, Owen is realised potential.

Also, the sale of Cisse will give Benitez his much needed squad cover. We badly need a winger and somebody more experienced than Whitbread and more solid than Traore.

more solid than traore!!! who could possibly be more solid than traore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

mada999 wrote:
    I'm beginning to lose patience with Garcia, sure he scored some important goals for us but he's a lightweight who squanders possession too easily...
    Heh, I whinced whenever he got the ball for most of last season. My patience has long run out with him. When he started last season he seemed like a bright spark that just appeared in the right place at the right time on the pitch. But then he stared missing the most simple chances on goal again and again. Then loosing possesion.

I think his goals against Juve and Chelsea have bought him time with the Liverpool fans. As for Rafa, I get the feeling he might do a Houllier with Garcia and keep playing him no matter how sh*t he gets.
    thebhoy wrote:
    Well since Neville has already been taken I..., I... don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

thebhoy wrote:

Me for a start.

ah leave it out lads who could possible fill the void if we got rid of Djimi "CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNER" Traore ;):D:D

thats true, i mean we're still lokking to replace Antonio "Champions League Winner (by 2 maybe?)" Nunez.

the liverpool echo is reporting that Lyon have tabled a bid of £8.5 million for Milan Baros

8.5m :eek: That'd be great money but I would be shocked if Baros did go to Lyon - he said after Euro 2004 that if Houllier hadn't been sacked that he would have been looking for another club because he destroyed his confidence...

yeah, dont see baros agreeing to it. i'm sure lyon will offer him better terms than villa but its not much of a league over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Sky sport say liverpool are after salano! could this be a part of a swap baors from Salano?

heres the link
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=299534&cpid=8&CLID=14&lid=&title=Villa+warn+Reds+off+Solano&channel=premiership

And according to bbc the owen deal is almost done and dusted and cisse is on his way out

Link
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4161982.stm

personally i think salano would be a good signing as back up to rest alonso or to drop luos garcia but cisse leaving for owen i think would be a step backwards although id like to see owen coming back i wouldnt like to see it at the expense of Cisse

Rafa is really dabling in the transfer market has anyone heard of this guy? Hasan Salihamidzic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4160590.stm

He also got two young defenders Godwin Antwi and Miquel Roque.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4156234.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Take it wrote:
    Rafa is really dabling in the transfer market has anyone heard of this guy? Hasan Salihamidzic
    ]

:D Any one here not heard off him? should be the question
    ;)

:D Any one here not heard off him? should be the question
    ;)

ill take that as a yes then :) is he a right midfielder?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement