Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's quite the world class winger at Bayern Munich...

And to whoever said "Baros shined breifly at euro 2004" are you serious?!?! He has 24 international goals!! If he's failed at liverpool its because he's not been used properly which noone can disagree with about last year (his first real chance after having several fantastic seasons as a bit part player) he started magnificently and then suffered bad bad confidence but was forced to keep playing, up front alone which is pretty much as bad as it can be for him being someone who thrives playing off a second striker (eg. koller). I do think he should go cause frankly he's better then the way he's treated considering whatever he says off the pitch, on it he always gives his all. Just sh!t sick of hearing everyone bad mouthing him with no real cause! Mark my words, he'll be a star elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Mark my words, he'll be a star elsewhere.

i agree entirely - properly utilised - better than owen or cisse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

lets have a Save Milan Baros - Make Owen History concert in the phoenix park, we'll call it "Live 5" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Well we didn't pay anything for Owen in the first place.
    £8.5m for Baros (deal of the century for Liverpool if it happens)
    Plus the £7m (was it?) that we got for him from Real
    Makes £15.5m, leaving a surplus from the £12 it will cost to get him back.

I would love to see him back at Anfield but it would make no sense to sell Cisse before he gets a chance to show what he can do. Besides, I doubt we would get our money back on him given his lack of "shop window time" since his injury. Unless we still have the receipt lying around somewhere!

I dunno about Cisse and Owen playing together, maybe too similar in their sense of position. But either of the two paired with either Moro or the Lampost might work and would give us options for resting players. Part of Owen's problems in his bad spells at Anfield were being rushed back after injury because we were so reliant on him.

"I doubt we would get our money back on him given his lack of "shop window time" since his injury. Unless we still have the receipt lying around somewhere!"

i bet rafa wishes he had the receipts for most of houliers signings tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

~Rebel~ wrote:
    And to whoever said "Baros shined breifly at euro 2004" are you serious?!?! ...he's not been used properly ...forced to keep playing, up front alone ...being someone who thrives playing off a second striker (eg. koller) ...he always gives his all. Just sh!t sick of hearing everyone bad mouthing him with no real cause!
    T'was me and I didn't bother to explain myself bcos its pretty much accepted that Baros is most likely to leave.

I didn't realise he was so consistant for Cech (but I wouldn't say that's prolific). Maybe he should follow Koller to Borussia Dortmund then because he's never fully produced for Liverpool. He was brought half way through the youth system at liverpool and never really adapted his style of play. I'm not saying his attitude or commitment is wrong. Benitez wants versitile players and Baros only likes one particular system. If there's one type of striker Benitez likes it's the ones that can work up front on their own in his 4-5-1 formation (eg Carew) or players adept enough to modify their game to suit different systems (things Morientes and Owen have done in the past). Baros needs to find a coach that likes the same system he likes (and not Houllier cos his ability to judge players is in serious question).

cregser wrote:
    but I wouldn't say that's prolific

How prolific do you want him to be?! 24 goals in about 35 games (was 29games after euro2004,not sure how many games played since then but not that many, def on at least 24 goals tho), he has an average of better then 2 goals every 3 games for the Czechs - That is prolific.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yeah look i rate baros far above owen,
    no point in wasting money on mikey.
    is it me or those rafa(i love the man) seem a little dishonest??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

~Rebel~ wrote:
    How prolific do you want him to be?! 24 goals in about 35 games (was 29games after euro2004,not sure how many games played since then but not that many, def on at least 24 goals tho), he has an average of better then 2 goals every 3 games for the Czechs - That is prolific.

what about for liverpool? Cant say he wasnt given a chance this season. Good start, pissed it all away then at the end of the season. His poxy attitude didnt help him either. I am glad to see the back of him.

i dont know how people want baros ahead of owen. Every season in the EPL owen has proved himself to be quality. Baros hasnt even had one decent season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

mayordenis wrote:
    yeah look i rate baros far above owen,
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    i agree entirely - properly utilised - better than owen
    I cant believe what Im reading here.

Owen is two years older than Baros, and if Baros can accomplish a third of what MO has done in two years Ill give up all my possessions, become a monk, and build a shrine to him.

Baros's record for the Czech's is impressive, Ill give him that. Howvever, a quick glance at his goals show that outside of EC04 and a couple of goals against France and Holland he seems to enjoy playing against cannon fodder.

His record for Liverpool in European football is nothing short of appalling.

His league record is average at best.

He misses a lot of chances.

He's played under two managers and neither has seemed to like him. Whats the common factor here?

Owen is a pure legend. Scores bags of goals every year. For club and country. I mean Baros's biggest goal haul was 13 in four bloody years!

Owen is a piece of **** tbh. He farted about in his last season and a half for liverpool before buggerring off for greener pastures. He can go suck a lemon. At least Baros actually wants to play for liverpool.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Owen is a piece of **** tbh. He farted about in his last season and a half for liverpool before buggerring off for greener pastures. He can go suck a lemon. At least Baros actually wants to play for liverpool.
    *Sigh*

He scored 19 in his last year, in 29 starts and 9 sub appearances. The way Houllier set the team up it didnt play to his strengths, yet he was still at the top of the scoring charts, that year and every year.

He showed loyalty for Liverpool for over seven full seasons (of general mediocrity), and never once did we (realistically) challange for the league title.

All the cups we did win over that period, he had a mammoth role to play.

Can you blame the guy for having a bit of ambition? I cant.

You can be bitter all you like, just dont come out with garbage like Baros is a better player. Owen loves Liverpool, if Baros really did he would have convinced Benetiz to keep him with some decent performances last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Im probably baros's biggest fan but ill take owen over him any day. Id still like to see baros and owen at the club but its not going to happen.

He scored 19 in his last year, in 29 starts and 9 sub appearances. The way Houllier set the team up it didnt play to his strengths, yet he was still at the top of the scoring charts, that year and every year.

He scored the same amount of premiership goals as Angel and whatshisname from Portsmouth.. Hardly world class now. He wasn't pushing himself like he had before. He didn't want an injury before he got his big pay-off.

He showed loyalty for Liverpool for over seven full seasons (of general mediocrity), and never once did we (realistically) challange for the league title.

All the cups we did win over that period, he had a mammoth role to play.

Can you blame the guy for having a bit of ambition? I cant.

Ambition at a price. He can never be seen as the homegrown hero, loyal to his club again. Its quite obvious he'd prefer to be a poser at Real Madrid. If that hadn't turned sour - he wouldn't be dreaming of coming back to liverpool.
    You can be bitter all you like, just dont come out with garbage like Baros is a better player. Owen loves Liverpool, if Baros really did he would have convinced Benetiz to keep him with some decent performances last year.

Baros is quicker, has better ball control and is a more clinical finisher than Owen. With a little confidence and someone like Crouch or Morientes playing beside him he will do well. He didn't get top scorer at the European Championships for nothing. He has proven himself at the highest level on a consistent basis. It would be criminal to sell him and take back a has-been. I think Owen would look well in a Newcastle shirt. He could form a nice caring relationship with Souness.

Looks like Benitez accepted the £8.5M from Houllier for Baros. I guess on market value that is a good price. Mark my words if he goes to Lyon he will be the top scorer in the league.

(http://liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW8804050819-0859.htm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

silly move by liverpool, he wont go to lyon and villa are now priced out, so we're gonna be stuck with him till january! sh1te. i dont expect any new signings before the transfer window ends now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The offer for Baros from Lyon/Houllier is interesting. I think it shows us that Houllier at least has confidence in the player. I think for Baros himself, it would be a better move than Villa, who wont be competing for anything this season or next. I can understand that he may want to stay in a top league, such as England or Spain, but its better to be at a top club in France such as Lyon than a mid-table club in England or Spain. Lyon are a big club and if Houllier, who has resources at his disposal, does a half decent job, you could see that they will dominate France in the next few seasons and perhaps do better in the CL. And Baros could be a part of that.

For Liverpool, this move may provide Benitez with a way to get Wiltord and provide some sort of width on the right side. Wiltord's pace is good still and he has maintained a place in the French 1st team. He fell out with Houllier when he arrived so its a personal thing rather than a footballing thing. He's old-ish though at 31 so its just a two year thing.

In terms of Owen, I dont think Liverpool need him. I rate Owen as a better player than Cisse, but they are completely different. Cisse may be ideal (in the centre, not on the wing) in the games against the lower teams, where quick pace, rawness, power and strength and shots that are very direct may prove fruitful. But I cant see Cisse producing any goods against top defences.

I think we could do with getting a CB, because if we lose Carra in an injury we are going to be stuffed.

Overall, I think Benitez is doing an ok job at strengthening the squad. On Sat it will be time to put some of that into action. We need to put a few past Sunderland to get our momentum going. A nice 2-0 or 3-0 win or more would be ideal.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

is a more clinical finisher than Owen.

I was drinking a drink and I spate it out, now my i key only works if I press it really hard.
    Are you insane?
    Do you actually watch football?
    He has proven himself at the highest level on a consistent basis.

Can you show me where, like in what seasons, or in what tournies, he has ever proved himself consistantly?

Baros, a clinical finisher?
    Baros has one thing going for him, he always always looks like he is going to score. He gets into a hell of a lot of positions, but he never bloody does.
    Owen gets one chance, he scores it. He is a striker, a goal poacher, and one of the highest order. If he came back to the premiership, he would be without a doubt the 4th best forward in the league, after Henry, Van Nist, Crespo. He is better than Rooney atm.

Forwards better than Baros in the league atm:
    Henry, Reyes, Van Persie, Crespo, Drogba, Gudjohnson, Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Nist, Saha(yeh even Mr. Injury), Shearer, Defoe, Keane, and I'm sure I'm forgetting people.

And not just better in my books, all these guys probably had better goals to game ratios than Baros last year.
    Baros has had one good run of games in the Euro Champs, and thats it.
    He is two years younger than Owen.
    If Baros achieved anywhere near the sort of goals than Owen achieved in the last two years, I'd shave my balls, and eat the hair.
    There is utterly no comparision.

Ask anybody in the entire world this question, and if they anwser Baros they are either a Czech, a severly misguided liverpool fan, or a drunk:

If it was the final of the FA Cup, and there was a one on one situation, who would you want the player to be, Baros or Owen?

Only a fool would call Owen a clinical finisher. That's not his strength - and Baros has shown himself at times to be a better finisher (Euro Champs, first half of last season) - and given the chance (which he won't get now) - he could be up there with Henry and Van Nist. I would have loved to see Baros and Crouch get a chance to form a partnership.

People say Owen was misused under Houllier well, Baros was certainly misused as a lone striker last season.

It looks like he'll probably go to Lyon now. I just hope the 8.5M is spent on a right winger or a defender - not on MO.

My problems with Owen - I haven't watched much of him for Real (who has...?) - so this will be from the last he lined out for the 'pool.

1. He can be hugely anonymous in games.
    2. He can not hold-up a ball.
    3. His major asset (pace) is lessening all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Only a fool would call Owen a clinical finisher.

Call me a fool so!! I noticed you said you didnt watch much of him in Spain? well what I seen of him impressed me....as some people know here last season when he left I mentioned I here I never really rated Owen and I thought he would be useless with Real Madrid......but after watching most of his displays when they where on SS I have changed my mind.....Madrid should be selling Raul and not Owen.......

Baros and Cisse are the same.......headless chickens!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

My problems with Owen - I haven't watched much of him for Real (who has...?) - so this will be from the last he lined out for the 'pool.

Thats comparable to the last year of Liverpooll under Houllier.
    They were all anonymous in games. They can't keep position, and they were getting worse.
    Owen last year for Real Madrid, and I watch all Real Madrid games on Sky Sports cause its fun football, was outstanding. Absolute class. He was the definition of a super sub, absolutely unreal, and whenever he got a chance, he scored. Owen is clinical, thats what he does. He scores goals when he gets a chance.
    Compared to Baros, who is everywhere in a game, gets loads of chances, and never scores.
    I know who I'd pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

PHB wrote:
    Owen last year for Real Madrid, and I watch all Real Madrid games on Sky Sports cause its fun football, was outstanding. Absolute class. He was the definition of a super sub, absolutely unreal, and whenever he got a chance, he scored. Owen is clinical, thats what he does. He scores goals when he gets a chance

haha PHB....more or less what I was saying above :D

Note to above posters my point about not watching much of Owen for Madrid was - he hasn't played much for them, hence the "who has...?".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

I'd rather someone who is anonymous but scores the winner in the last minute then a player who gets 20 chances and scores none.

Yes he can and it's something that he had improved on considerably over the last couple of years.

While I agree he's not as pacey as he was from the start, he still has more pace than most and has added more to his game that compensates for this decrease in speed

Even the couple of season when Owen would have been considered worse than usual, he still scored 20+ goals. A fully fit, on fire Owen will get 30+ goals. Something that cannot be said about any of our current forwards. I for can't wait to see Owen in Red again.

LFCFan wrote:
    Even the couple of season when Owen would have been considered worse than usual, he still scored 20+ goals. A fully fit, on fire Owen will get 30+ goals. Something that cannot be said about any of our current forwards. I for can't wait to see Owen in Red again.

1. In his last season for liverpool he got 19 goals. (not 20+)
    2. He has NEVER gotten 30+ goals in a season (28 in 02/03 - only 19 of which were league).

what about for liverpool? Cant say he wasnt given a chance this season. Good start, pissed it all away then at the end of the season. His poxy attitude didnt help him either. I am glad to see the back of him.

i dont know how people want baros ahead of owen. Every season in the EPL owen has proved himself to be quality. Baros hasnt even had one decent season.

I think people are misunderstanding me. I said Baros Should go, but that he's being given ridiculous amounts of abuse where its unnecessary. Prior to last season, he only had a few chances and did fantastic with them! At the start of the season before last he pushed heskey off the team, only to break his leg and be out for the year. he was only 20 (21 for secon dhalf of season) at the time. The season before that again, he was a bit of a super sub (at 19). Now he has one great first half and one bad half following several confidence batterings (biggest of which was being made a fool of by not starting in the carling cup final when he was clearly our best striker by a mile and after he had come out saying he was going to make amends for the final a few years before where he was taken off). This is the ONLY season he's had reular starts, he wasn't really meant to be a relied on first team player, hence why we had owen and cisse. when owen left at last minute and cisse got injured, he was thrown in at the deep end, playing a system that didn't suit him. He has never had a consistant strike partner that suited him at pool, ever. Theres just very obvious reason why he didn't perform as well as he could have during his time at anfield and i think its totally unfair of people to give him the criticism he's gotten.

And i do think Owen is better, but baros will be great used properly somewhere else.

As for him playing for 2 managers who didn't like him? Houllier just made an 8.5 mill bid for him...

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    1. In his last season for liverpool he got 19 goals. (not 20+)

Ok, so he got 1 less than I said. It's still 19 goals in a season he wasn't even up for!
    2. He has NEVER gotten 30+ goals in a season (28 in 02/03 - only 19 of which were league).

I said a Fully Fit Owen. He had trouble nearly every season with Liverpool and now he seems to have gotten over his injury problems. Also, Liverpool are creating a lot more chances then when he was here so he would have more opportunities to score.

the pure lack of effort that benitez has appeared to put into developing baros and coaching him is what really bugs me.

he's 23 ffs, and probably has more raw talent than any striker in the premiership, i dont think the bad qualitys of his game are things that cant be changed by some good coaching.

running back to owen seems to be a cop out, like bringing back the safe option.

people use the excuse that baros has a bad attitude, a load of crap tbh

if wanting to play for the team and being dissapointed when he's not is what defines a bad attitude, then i'd rather have 11 players with a bad attitude playing in my team week in week out

el rabitos wrote:
    like bringing back the safe option.

What a rediculous Statement. He's the 'safe' option because he will score goals. Isn't that what we want?
    people use the excuse that baros has a bad attitude, a load of crap tbh

if wanting to play for the team and being dissapointed when he's not is what defines a bad attitude, then i'd rather have 11 players with a bad attitude playing in my team week in week out

Bull****. He got plenty of opportunity last season and started moaning in the press etc when he was taken off after 70 minutes in games. He was taken off 'cause he'd done fcuk all and we needed another option up front. I'd understand if he was warming the bench all season but he had more than enough time on the pitch to show us what he can do. He does have a lot of good qualities, but I think he'd be better somewhere like France.

What a rediculous Statement. He's the 'safe' option because he will score goals. Isn't that what we want?

how do we know that baros wont score 25+ goals a season if the coaching staff were determined to help him improve?

alan shearer didnt start his career scoring 20 goals a season like owen did. he DEVELOPED as a player. baros isnt even being given a chance.
    Bull****. He got plenty of opportunity last season and started moaning in the press etc when he was taken off after 70 minutes in games. He was taken off 'cause he'd done fcuk all and we needed another option up front. I'd understand if he was warming the bench all season but he had more than enough time on the pitch to show us what he can do. He does have a lot of good qualities, but I think he'd be better somewhere like France.

why wouldnt he moan! he wanted to play! something owen didnt want to do for us last year, owen left, you dont sell a player for 8 million and buy him back a year later for 12, its stupid business. you work with the players u have....if the players he has are dire, then yeah, fine bring owen back. but baros is far from dire

• Advertisement

RAFA: WE'VE NOT MADE OWEN OFFER
    Paul Eaton 19 August 2005

Rafael Benitez has revealed Liverpool have not made a move to bring Michael Owen back to Anfield.
    Owen continues to be linked with a return to Liverpool as he looks to bring his spell with Real Madrid to an end.

Media speculation has suggested the Reds are well on their way to bringing our former number ten back to the club, but Benitez insists he is concentrating only on signing a new central defender.

He said: "I read the Spanish press and I smile. They say we have made an offer for Michael Owen. We have not made an offer.

"As I keep on saying, I want to sign a central defender and not a centre forward."

Benitez also insisted the Reds aren't interested in signing Nolberto Solano from Aston Villa as part of any Milan Baros deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    Forwards better than Baros in the league atm:
    Henry, Reyes, Van Persie, Crespo, Drogba, Gudjohnson, Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Nist, Saha(yeh even Mr. Injury), Shearer, Defoe, Keane, and I'm sure I'm forgetting people.

Yes, your forgetting every other striker on Liverpools books (nd everyones for that matter. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

http://www.football365.com/news/story_160296.shtml

looks like cisse is staying so, now go get me a right winger rafa

i think cover for the centre of the defence is more needed than a winger

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I dont know are you just arguing for the sake of arguing now.

Ok Owen's record in a season is 28, 19 in the league.

Baros hasnt even scored 28 goals for Liverpool in his entire career, and only has 19 in the league in his entire Liverpool career.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    He scored the same amount of premiership goals as Angel and whatshisname from Portsmouth.. Hardly world class now.
    Thats just a spin you have put on it though.

I rather only 6 players scored more league goals than him, and three of those players played for clubs that finished above Liverpool.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    He wasn't pushing himself like he had before. He didn't want an injury before he got his big pay-off.
    What are you talking about? What "big pay-off"? Sure he didnt even think he was leaving until Benetiz showed him the door.

Bashing his last season is non-sense. He had injury problems, the team didnt play to his strengths, the team was anaemic at times, yet he scored a goal every two games.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Ambition at a price. He can never be seen as the homegrown hero, loyal to his club again. Its quite obvious he'd prefer to be a poser at Real Madrid. If that hadn't turned sour - he wouldn't be dreaming of coming back to liverpool.
    Im sure he wished he could be winning league titles at Liverpool. Im sure thats what he always wanted to do. Fact of the matter is that at the time he made an educated (not to mention very reasonable guess) that it wasnt going to happen for the forseeable future.

His stay at Madrid hasnt "turned sour", in fact last I checked Madrid didnt want him to leave, and Ive yet to see a quote saying he wants to leave. Quite the opposite in fact, the team that sold him wants him back.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Baros is quicker
    Got a link? :rolleyes:
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    is a more clinical finisher than Owen.
    Yes, thats why in almost four years at the club he has not even scored as many goals in the league as Michael Owen did in that "awful" last season of his :rolleyes:

As for his European record, its up there with Gary Neville's.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    With a little confidence and someone like Crouch or Morientes playing beside him he will do well.
    Id agree only he played 10-12 games alongside Morientes last year and managed just a single goal.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    He didn't get top scorer at the European Championships for nothing. He has proven himself at the highest level on a consistent basis.
    Proven at the highest level on a consistent basis? I dont know if you are just winding me up or what?

It makes the EC accolade that more puzzling that his record at all other levels is pretty shocking.

His European record is about 1 in 5.

In his record tally of 13 last year, bear in mind three came against Palace, two at Millwall, and one against Norwich.

Hardly world beaters of football now (no disrespect).
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    It would be criminal to sell him and take back a has-been.
    I love to see Baros stay, I do feel that he has potential, but when is he ever going to realise it? Hes 24 this year.

If its a case of Owen or Baros there is no competition. You are right about one thing though, Owen has been. But he also is, and will be one of the best forwards in the world for some time to come.
    el rabitos wrote:
    the pure lack of effort that benitez has appeared to put into developing baros and coaching him is what really bugs me.

he's 23 ffs, and probably has more raw talent than any striker in the premiership, i dont think the bad qualitys of his game are things that cant be changed by some good coaching.
    Houllier also seemed to doubt his talent.

It makes you wonder, two extremely reputable coaches in European football, one mecurial Eastern European, whats the common factor here?

Houllier also seemed to doubt his talent.

It makes you wonder, two extremely reputable coaches in European football, one mecurial Eastern European, whats the common factor here?

yet houllier is offerring 8.5M for him. strange that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

All this speculation is really beginning to get to me. I just wish that they would do the deal or not..

Owen coming back has its pros and its cons. He is a world class player and we would be better for having him but the question is 'do we need him'. I dunno, Cisse has yet to prove himself, baros is on the way out so yeah we probably do. Now IMO we need a central defender more and then a winger but hey there is more to the Owen thing than football. I have a suspicion that others than Rafa want him back and that ultimately the decision isn't up to Rafa. There is no doubt that Owen brings in more sponsership and will sell more shirts!!

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    yet houllier is offerring 8.5M for him. strange that...
    Thats all you can come up with in response?

Anyway, the reason Id say Houllier has made a bid is because GH doesnt have better options to play up front for Lyon................................................like Michael Owen for example ;)

um.....two lazy mangers when it comes to making the most of what they have?
    Anyway, the reason Id say Houllier has made a bid is because GH doesnt have better options to play up front for Lyon................................................like Michael Owen for example

Maybe houlier has copped onto the fact that he'd get plenty of goals for his team by playing baros off a tall striker (john carew) who can knock down balls to his feet

...now if only liverpool had a striker who was really tall, had a nice first touch and could knock the ball down to baros's feet....hmm.....

• Advertisement

Thats all you can come up with in response?

Why would I need anything else? That point completely counters yours. Its a model of efficiency.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Why would I need anything else? That point completely counters yours. Its a model of efficiency.
    So let me get this straight, the fact that Houllier is trying to sign Baros for Lyon counters all my points illustrating that Michael Owen is a better player than Baros? Oh I see.

You claim Baros has done it "at the highest level on a consistent basis". Any back up to that? Outside of the EC he has done nothing. Michael Owen has scored more goals in a single season that Baros has done in his entire Liverpool career, which is closing in on its fifth year.

You may call it efficiency, Id call it idiocy.

el rabitos wrote:
    um.....two lazy mangers when it comes to making the most of what they have?
    Two managers with a proven track record of developing players.

Benetiz obviously doesnt like what he sees in Baros, he sees a lot more than you or I. I trust his judgement.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think Baros is an awful player, I just think he is still too raw and has too high an opinion of himself. I wouldnt mind seeing him stay, but if its a case of him or Owen I know who Id pick every time.

You could argue that in a few years Baros could end up banging them in all the time, but why wait, Owen is a proven goalscorer at every level now. If Baros goes on to achieve half of what Owen has done already in his career he will be doing well.
    el rabitos wrote:
    Maybe houlier has copped onto the fact that he'd get plenty of goals for his team by playing baros off a tall striker (john carew) who can knock down balls to his feet

...now if only liverpool had a striker who was really tall, had a nice first touch and could knock the ball down to baros's feet....hmm.....
    Maybe Houllier sees a good player at a reasonable price, and maybe Houllier has a lot of cash to spend post-Essien, and maybe Houllier is going to do another trademark purchase ;)

Who knows, Baros is a good buy at £8.5M.

So let me get this straight, the fact that Houllier is trying to sign Baros for Lyon counters all my points illustrating that Michael Owen is a better player than Baros? Oh I see.

No, it merely countered the point that I quoted when I originally made the post.

I assume this whole internet thing is new to you?

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    No, it merely countered the point that I quoted when I originally made the post.

I assume this whole internet thing is new to you?
    As new as reality obviously is to you.

Any counter to the rest of my post or have you realised that you are spouting non-sensical gibberish?

And the fact that Houllier is attempting to buy him now does not counter the idea that he doubted his talent while he was manager of Liverpool. He doubted his talent in terms of the options he had available (Owen), he doesnt have those options at Lyon (i.e. He thinks Owen is a better player than Baros).

*yawn*

The fact that Houllier is willing to spend an awful lot of money on him - suggests he is convinced of his talent.

As for my claim that he has proven himself at the highest level, just look at his record for the Czech Republic - 25 goals from 31 starts. Michael Owen 26 goals from 50 starts.

You do the math!

• Advertisement

from the liverpool echo:

"LIVERPOOL put a £7m price tag on Milan Baros' head; so Gerard Houllier is immediately planning an £8.5m bid.

Good to see the man who spent £10m on El-Hadji Diouf, £11m on Emile Heskey, £7m for Chris Kirkland and £5m for Salif Diao hasn't lost his touch."

my advice...dont try to base an arguement on houliers deelings in the transfer market. it's be like trying to scratch ur balls with ur ear tbh

the arguement that owen has scored more goals that baros in 1 season is pointless. baros has only played 1 full season in a half a$$ed injured team.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    *yawn*
    You are tired? You should try and look at the situation from my eyes.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    The fact that Houllier is willing to spend an awful lot of money on him - suggests he is convinced of his talent.
    But it doesnt suggest that he rates him above Michael Owen. I never said Baros is a bad player, he is just not anywhere near the league of Michael Owen.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    As for my claim that he has proven himself at the highest level, just look at his record for the Czech Republic - 25 goals from 31 starts. Michael Owen 26 goals from 50 starts.

You do the math!
    Ive said before, EC04 aside, Baros seems to revel in knocking goals in past Belarus, Andorra, Macedonia et al. In fact the only opposition of reasonable calibre he has hit goals against are Holland (1), France (friendly, 1), Sweden (friendly, 1) and dare I say it us (friendly, 1). Its hardly what Id call "the highest level".

Owen has bagged goals at four separate championships, as well as some notable goals in qualifying campaigns, a German might be able to tell you if you ask them.

Besides, a single tournament success is not proving himself "on a consistent basis at the highest level". I dare you for the laugh, post up his European record for Liverpool.

Its not like we are comparing the width of two pieces of grass here. Owen is streets ahead of Baros, compare their records, at every level. Im beginning to think that you may be blind.

el rabitos wrote:
    the arguement that owen has scored more goals that baros in 1 season is pointless. baros has only played 1 full season in a half a$$ed injured team.
    My argument centres on Owen's consistent form at every level, for every team hes played for.

Are you really saying that Baros is better?

My argument centres on Owen's consistent form at every level, for every team hes played for.
    Are you really saying that Baros is better?

i'm saying baros is what we've got. owen chose to leave...he's gone for 8 million, and it will take more than 8 to bring him back....cut the ties, he's gone.

work on developing baros, if i didnt think baros was capable of doing a really good job for us i wouldnt be moaning about selling him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

From liverpoolfc.tv

RAFA TO TRY AND SIGN GONZALEZ IN JANUARY

Rafael Benitez says he still wants to sign Chile winger Mark Gonzalez despite him having a work permit turned down and will make another move in January for the player.
    Benitez said the club also have the backing of the Chilean government in their efforts to bring the player to England. Liverpool will try to sign Gonzalez again in January but if that fails then he can join the club before the start of the 2006/07 season as he is eligible for a Spanish passport in 2006.

Benitez said: "We have to wait until at least January before we can do anything else, but next year he'll have a European passport anyway. His grandmother is from Spain and he has a German grandfather. So he must go through all this for the sake of one year.

"It's an unbelievable decision we must wait so long. I believe the Chilean government has taken a big interest in the case. They sold 1,000 Liverpool shirts when we signed Gonzalez. No-one understands what's going on.

"I find it stupid he can't join us. We have made a lot of effort to send our scouts to watch him, we've received good reports from his previous managers, we've interviewed his former team-mates to get their view on him and my chief scout has watched him regularly since he was a youngster in Chile.

"We feel as European Champions, we have found a player who is good enough for us and who has a big future. Now someone tells us we can't sign him."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement