Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i heard lyon were after him.

They shouldnt sell him as he can be one hell of a player given time and bar injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its rubbish, Lyon will have a cup-tied player and Aberdeen have been phoning round every team in the Prem trying to secure a striker (they have an injurey crisis).

Mike.

Owen ready for Premiership return

Real Madrid's Michael Owen wants to return to Liverpool but is prepared to spend this season on loan at Newcastle if a move to Anfield cannot be agreed.
    Madrid have promised to help the 25-year-old England forward return home to boost his World Cup hopes.

"I said that my ideal situation was to start the season in the Real Madrid team and if not I would prefer to return to Liverpool," Owen said.

"If the transfer cannot be finalised in time I have agreed to go to Newcastle."

Owen spent much of his first season at the Bernabeu coming off the bench and the arrivals of Brazilian strikers Robinho and Julio Baptista this summer have seen him slip further down the pecking order.

I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team

Michael Owen

The former Liverpool star had earlier indicated he was willing to stay and fight for his place, but after talks with president Florentino Perez has now had a change of heart.

He added: "I need to be playing regularly in World Cup year.

"I am most grateful to Senor Perez for his personal concern about my career. I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez insists his main priority is to sign a centre-back and already has Djibril Cisse, Fernando Morientes and Peter Crouch as his frontline strikers.

But Owen's return to Anfield would be welcomed by Liverpool fans, having scored 158 goals in 297 games in his first spell at the club.

Owen finished with 16 goals for Real last season despite being used primarily as a substitute.

On Tuesday Everton manager David Moyes revealed his club had spoken to Owen's representatives, but the player rejected a move to Goodison Park.

Lyon have also expressed an interest in the England striker, but he appears set for a return to England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

Flo is going nowhere:

FLO-PO DISMISSES TRANSFER RUMOURS

Florent Sinama-Pongolle has dismissed rumours linking him with a loan move to Aberdeen and vowed to stay and fight for his Liverpool future.
    Pongolle made his first appearance of the season as a second half substitute against CSKA Sofia on Wednesday night and afterwards told Liverpoolfc.tv that he has no intention of following Milan Baros out of the Anfield exit door.

He said: "There is no truth whatsoever in this story. There has been no contact and it's not going to happen. I have no desire to leave this club. I am very happy here."

After seven months out with a knee injury the French striker was delighted to be back in the first team spotlight against the Bulgarian champions and added: "My aim now is to carry on working hard in training and push hard for a regular first team place."

I'll also be raging if Owen ends up playing for Newcastle next season after the dismal performance of the current strikers at the club over the past 3 games :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

what i cant understand is how can Newcastle get him on loan but we can't?!

anyway, here's hoping they can just sort something out. I definately dont like him as much as i used to, and probably never will, but we need the goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

~Rebel~ wrote:
    what i cant understand is how can Newcastle get him on loan but we can't?!

anyway, here's hoping they can just sort something out. I definately dont like him as much as i used to, and probably never will, but we need the goals.

What do you mean can't get him? I don't think it's an issue of can't it looks like you don't want him, rafa has said at every stage he wants a right midfield and a center back, he doesn't seem to be hiding the fact he doesn't want him.

and if i was newcastle i wouldn't want a player that's only coming because he can't go to liverpool and is so open about the fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ntlbell wrote:
    and if i was newcastle i wouldn't want a player that's only coming because he can't go to liverpool and is so open about the fact.
    Every player has a preferred choice of destination, very few players get it though.

ntlbell wrote:
    What do you mean can't get him?

earlier in the transfer window, pool did say they were trying to agree a loan move but that it seemed impossible. If newcastle can now get him on a loan move surely pool can too. I know rafa has reiterated his wish to not buy him but he did say a loan would be good earlier, maybe he's decided he doesnt even want that either, i dunno, just seems strange..

Just shows how desperate newcastle are getting that they're trying to get someone they know doesn't really want to play for them..at least he's one of the few people in this world souness isn't likely to start fighting with. still though, the man has a talent for that sort of thing. Be kinda funny if owen was turfed out after a few months for being a trouble maker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

eirebhoy wrote:
    Every player has a preferred choice of destination, very few players get it though.

Obviously, but coming out and stating i'm only going to poxy newcastle because no one else wants me is a bit much :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

well newcastle are breaking their transfer record to get him so its £15+ which we cant justify spending on Owen... so i am not too upset about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

excellent news. hope he goes to newcastle. good news for liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Cisse does not sound too confident of staying according to these quotes today:

"I won't be surprised if the manager says I have to go. It's his choice, maybe they don't need me," said Cisse. "Maybe he thinks my game is not for him. It's his choice but we haven't spoken about it.

"I did have a meeting and asked him about the stuff in the newspaper and he said he did not have contact with other clubs.

"If I have to go, I go, but I would like to stay. I want to show to the people that I can do well for Liverpool."

Source: Eurosport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

well show us then pretty soon cisse, cause you've been absolute h1te so far this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

VinnyL wrote:
    well show us then pretty soon cisse, cause you've been absolute h1te so far this season

Aye. He looks a very different player here.
    Would love to see him reproduce some of that this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

This is a difficult situation for Owen. He went to Madrid leaving Liverpool as 2nd rate, saw them win the CL, and finds that he is surplus to requirements at Real and no longer a Galactico, not that he didnt perform on the field, but such is the way at Real. Sometimes they sell good players eg: Makelele.

There is a buy-back clause in his contract, Liverpool have first shout, but Benitez doesnt really want him, preferring of all people Morientes, one of his signings. The money aspect is also a problem for Liverpool. Real want 16m. Owen went for 8m. Liverpool may have been prepared to sign him for 8m, or some more, but no way will the board sign him for 16m, I would think.

If Owen can agree terms, and I think he will with Newcastle, it will be his 2nd choice but one that he would nonetheless respond to. Newcastle may prefer a loan, but Real dont want a loan, and now that the offer is officially made and agreed and seems to be 16m, there will be pressure on Owen to sign, and Real will help out if they can.

Its very much looking like Owen is going to Newcastle .....

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N149789050824-1053.htm

So, Warnock who will be 25 this Dec signs a 2-year deal to 2008. Thats not a very long deal. Most deals of his age would be signed a 4 year deal, so that shows some hesitancy on Benitez/Parry's part. For the player, all he has to do is do well on the pitch of course and he will command a better deal the next time.

Does anybody know what type of salary Warnock would be on?

redspider

i would reckon he would be in the 10-20k bracket, afaik Troare was on about 20 b4 his new contract but thats just because he was a Ged signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

redspider wrote:
    Warnock has had trouble with career threatening injuries, demonstrated by the fact that he is almost 25 but yet to make a mark on the first team.

Its prudent for Liverpool to only offer him a two year deal, four years would be madness seeing as he still has a lot to prove in fitness and ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Its a very bad choice football wise by the pool to let Owen join Newcastle.
    It allows them to catch right up with use by giving them a 20+ a year goal scorer.
    That sort of fire power will make Newcastle a real threat for the Champions Leauge Spots.

Business wise i can see the arguement against signing him we sold him for 8 and they want 12+.

But think it of it this way Owen = 20 goals plus for us = Guaranteed Champions Leauge = transfer fee payed back and some.

And in reality we will be only paying €8m for him and writing of the other €8m

With the money from Baros we should sign him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I am far from certain that is is bad football sense. Owen may assure you of 20 goals a season, but you are making concessions in terms of teh football style that you are playing. Benetiz obviously believes that such a concession would be a step backwards in terms of pure success over what he can deliver with his own plans.

All that said Liverpool are not delivering that footballing style on the field. I await the arrival of a genuinely threatening winger, as the blunderbust approach through the middle is making Morientes and Cisse look like non leaguers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

uberwolf wrote:
    Owen may assure you of 20 goals a season, but you are making concessions in terms of teh football style that you are playing.
    I'm not quite sure what concessions it is that you think Owen requires - he's been a sub for madrid and still gets 20 goals, he'll hardly be demanding the team to be structured around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

I think Liverpool would be mad to let "the boy wonder" play for any other p'ship club. he will score 20+ goals for whatever club he plays for. We are scoring sfa at the min. and even last year it was a major problem for us. I cant see PC scoring 20+ this year.
    Rafa for F Sake bite the bulled and bring him home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Any know where Bannor has disapeared to? He hasn't posted here in over a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

seabee wrote:
    Any know where Bannor has disapeared to? He hasn't posted here in over a month.

Yeah noticed this myself.. Shame he is not about..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Looks like Stelios could be on his way before the transfer deadline....

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/05/08/25/manual_142324.html

Decent player, could do ok in the RW/RM position (since no-one else fits the bill)

Getting a bit long in the tooth though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

LATEST FROM KP:

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry today refused to rule out the possibility of the club signing Michael Owen before the transfer deadline.

Asked if the Real Madrid hitman was Anfield bound, the club's chief executive said: "Wait and see. There's been far too much speculation on it already. Let's just rely on the facts and we'll see when we get to that day."

So would Parry like to see Owen signed?

"I don't think my personal feelings are anything to do with it," said the wallet. "One myth that can be dispelled is that there's never been a difference of opinion between Rafa and me or Rafa and anybody else on it. We're just keeping our counsel.

"There's some work to do, there's a few days before the deadline so we'll see."

One thing Parry isn't, is a liar. He's very, very clever with what he says and how he says it. If Michael Owen wasn't an option he would have made it very clear this afternoon. Had he said "Michael Owen is not coming" we would have definitely believed him. He'll bend the truth but he won't issue a statement that would later come back to deem him as a fibber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

p.pete wrote:
    I'm not quite sure what concessions it is that you think Owen requires - he's been a sub for madrid and still gets 20 goals, he'll hardly be demanding the team to be structured around him.

Well, it seems that for a lot of games Rafa will persist with the 4-2-3-1 (with Gerrard and 2 wingers behind 1 striker) formation he employed (and enjpyed alot of success with at Valencia.

While, id personally love to see Owen back, im not sure he's fit into Rafa's preferred formation.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=301816&cpid=22&CLID=156&lid=&title=Hasan+blow+for+Bayern&channel=germany

Hasan Salihamidzic is out for three weeks. Puts an end to any speculation that Liverpool will be signing him I would imagine.

• Advertisement

LASK Linz have an agreement to welcome Besian Idrizaj back to the club if his move to Liverpool does not work out.

The 17-year-old has signed a two-year contract at Anfield after impressing Rafa Benitez during a recent trial period.

The midfielder was spotted by Liverpool scouts whilst representing Austria at the Under-17 European Championship.

"How often does a young Austrian get the opportunity to join the current Champions League title holders?" asked LASK president Peter-Michael Reichel.

Although it was a tough decision for Reichel to make, he felt he could not block Idrizaj's dream move, although insisting on the clause that he will return to Linz on a free transfer in 2007 if things do not work out

seems life rafa is beefing up the reserves and about time too

It seem Newcastle have just landed Albert Luque who is one of Spains best left sided strikers, he won't have been cheap so maybe that ends the Owen interest if it was ever genuine (could have been a bluff to smoke out Deportivo La Coruña).

Mike.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=301816&cpid=22&CLID=156&lid=&title=Hasan+blow+for+Bayern&channel=germany

Hasan Salihamidzic is out for three weeks. Puts an end to any speculation that Liverpool will be signing him I would imagine.

3 weeks isn't too bad, and Rafa did get someone with a cruciate ligament injury too.. would love to see Salihamidzic at pool. I like Giannakopolous but def prefer a younger player.

More today on Cissé to Marseille:
    Marseille admit they are towards the back of the queue to sign Liverpool, but still hope a deal can be done.

The Mediterranean club's president Pape Diouf claims the club has plenty of obstacles to surmount if they are to seal a deal for the 24-year-old French international.

"We are playing a waiting game," Diouf told club website www.olympiquedemarseille.com when asked about a possible Cisse deal. "We know this is not the sort of deal that can be done in the blink of an eye.

"If a beggar can have a lucky day then we will be happy to be that beggar. But in any case we do not intend to make Marseille supporters lick their lips for no reason."

Without going into detail, Diouf also revealed that finance was not the only obstacle to a move for Cisse, who joined Liverpool from Auxerre for £14million in 2004.

He said: "It is a wider problem, not only a financial one. We remain open to a deal but with lots of realism."

Source: Yahoo Liverpool Page

The last sentence is interesting — that there is more to the deal than financial hurdles. Could he be referring to Owen returning?

Well, definately not getting Stelios Giannakopoulos anyway..
    Source: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=302055&cpid=8&CLID=14&lid=&title=Stelios+pens+Bolton+deal&channel=premiership

Stelios Giannakopoulos has ended speculation surrounding his future by signing a new three-year contract with Bolton.

The Greece international, who had been interesting Liverpool and Manchester City, was due to be out of contract next summer.

However, Bolton wanted Stelios to remain at The Reebok and have swiftly secured his services for the foreseeable future.

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce was naturally delighted Stelios, who scored against Newcastle on Wednesday, has committed himself to the Lancashire outfit.

With Stelios' services secured, Allardyce is hoping to add one more player to his squad before the transfer window closes.

"We have been working hard behind the scenes to get this agreed and I'm delighted that we can put all the speculation behind us," Allardyce told the club's official website.

"Throughout, Stelios has been very professional and he can now look forward to playing his best football at Bolton.

"I was concerned earlier this week that we might have lost him but in the end he always wanted to stay loyal. He is a terrific little player.

"I hope we can move on now and try to add to the squad before the transfer window closes next week."

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside, who was delighted with Stelios' display against The Magpies, revealed the club always believed he would stay.

"We've been confident of doing this all summer," explained Gartside. "He's been an impressive player for us.

"I must admit I congratulated him on his performance after Newcastle which was very professional under the circumstances with the speculation.

"It's great news he's going to stay for another three years."

Meanwhile, the owner of Bolton's opposition in the first round of the Uefa Cup Georgi Iliev has been killed.

Lokomotiv Plovdiv's owner was shot just 40 minutes after his club booked a place in the Uefa Cup following their 1-0 win over OFK Belgrade.

"It's sad to hear anything like that. Obviously there will be security issue if that's the sort of thing that's happened," Gartside added.

is no one else amazed at rafas treatment of Cisse?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I feel bad about it all. I have always said I wanted Owen to return, but I don't want Cissé to be sold — not after the way he has come back from that injury. I felt very sorry for the guy being interviewed on ITV after the match last night. Then when Rafa was interviewed and asked directly about Cissé being in his long-term plans, he would not comment. He said a lot by saying nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I find it quite disgusting to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

How a match changes everything. :) This time yesterday Cisse was hanging by a thread.

Rafa is just being business-like. He can't afford to close the door on the possibility of a transfer to Marseille or Lyon (or maybe Monaco) not if there's a chance of getting 12-13 million for him. It would be hard luck on Cisse but it happens all the time.

Mike.

"We have met and talked about the rumours but we have not had offers. After this game and his goals maybe we will have a lot of offers. We must enjoy this trophy and we have five more days for talking about these other things."

i didnt see cisse's interview but apparently he was near tears.

• Advertisement

I think £10m is the figure being bandied about for Cissé.

so a 4m loss on Cisse and a 10m loss on Owen, gotta love Liverpools business sense.... would prefer to see nando sold than cisse he is crap along with Zenden and Garcia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I hope there is a place for Cisse in liverpool, and a place for *that little P*ick, I can see owen and Cisse being very good together, if cisse can feed crosses into owen and find him, I think they could be a very good combo. I don't think morientes has been convincing at all. If anyone should have a "?" hanging over his head it should be him. If rafa sells Cisse I have serious doubts that morientes can fill Cisse's boots for commitment. Cisse - ok he's not perfect by a long shot, but he's young, fast, and has a great attitude towards the team. I dont think morientes has settled in liverpool at all. I think we were stung by getting him in.

I disagree on Cisse/Owen. The latter will need the ability of Crouch and Morientes to hold up the ball and get knockdowns in the classic Owen/Heskey fashion. Cisse is completly unsuited to that role as he loves to run onto the ball. Could he really be converted into a RW?, I doubt it even if his delivery to Luis Garcia last night was exactly the sort of cross you want from a winger.

Mike.

So why do we need 2 knock down players and one fast player instead of the other way round? the way i see it is if owen got injured and we have crouch heading it down to morientes, whats he going to do with it? Owen and cisse up front, gerrard/alonso threading defence splitting passes makes my mouth water. Even if owen or cisse got injured we would still have one of them with blistering pace. Morientes looks like he forget how to play football with his feet, and its awful to watch.

I'd keep Owen (if he signs, and he will), Cisse, Crouch, Morienties and FSP. Sell Le Tallac and Mellor. Luis Garcia can act as a utility striker if required.

Use Owen off Crouch/Mori or Cisse of Crouch/Mori or play Owen/Cisse with Mori or Luis Garcia in the hole.

Actually the possibilites are endless if all were kept. Trouble is 'Pool are not Chelsea and the offer of X millions for Cisse may just be too much to ignore.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

trouble is Liverpool cant play 3 up front cause Gerrard is given a free position so he can be up front a lot and they cant be left weak in the midfield after a break from gerrard or whatever.

While I would feel sorry for Cisse if he were sold, if we were offered eight figures for him I would find it hard to be disappointed if we accepted.

While his attitude may be spot-on, Im not 100% sure he has the ability. He is powerful and pacey, but from what Ive seen of him his finishing leaves a lot to be desired.

If it were him or Owen there is no choice.

That said, if he stays, Id love to see him do well.

I would choose owen over him aswell, but he broke his leg in the first season, came back in that same season and helped win the champions league, things like that deserve more than half a season. I feel we owe him a chance.

Id be absolutely disgusted if cisse were forced to leave. I have no doubt he will improve massively Back to his best. Its ridiculous for people to think he cant finish, he's just had a tough time of it (tho still is scoring some)but obviously in general he CAN finish. You dont get to be a leagues top scorer without being able to finish. whatever people say about poor defending, that has nothing to do with the finish. obviously after breaking through in france he still had to score and i've Seen plenty of his goals which weren't lashers. theres no more too it, he's shown he can break through defences here, now he just needs to recapture his finishing. Christ sake Owen went a lot longer then a few games without being able to display anything. Does noone else remember being infuriated as Owen scores a rake of goals withint about 10 games and then does fúck all for the rest of the season? has everyone forgotten why we were all so excited about getting cisse in? At last it was another person who could fill in for when owen disappeared. He will still do that. I say fúck 10mill, i'd prefer the player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement