Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So can somebody give me an update :)
    Theres so many possibles going on I've lost track?
    Who's being courted?

CB:

RW:

Others:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

rumour has it
    CB: Upson - medical at 5 - very sketchy sources
    Bonera - We have bid e5m but parma will let him go for e7.5m
    Mexes - 5 bids rejected

RW: Simao - e15m scheduled for medical, now seems benfica have changed thier minds and refused to release him.

Others: no one

quite worrying altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Think there's only 2 concretes at the moment PHB (and by concrete I mean probably won't join)

CB: Daniele Bonera
    RB:
    Other: Simao

I hesitate to put Simao in the RB slot - one story I've seen calls him a stiker, another a left midfielder and someone else reckons they're a winger in Championship Manager, probably on the right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The other club is indeed Milan but Berona is only thier second or third choice.

They are trying to buy alex from Chelsea (he's on lona at PSV right now but is owned by chelsea) and is that fails they are going from a young lad from Villareal, rodreguiz(sp?) I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

simao is on international duty, and scolari released him already, he's on the flight to anfield and he's to be back in portugal for half 5.

we need every player on the above list (bar mexes) to sign, come on parry carry it through!

• Advertisement

What time is the transfer window at, 6 right?

If a Bonera bid hasn't been accepted yet, tehre is no way he can get to Liverpool in time to do a medical.
    Simao is the same atm.
    They can't get there in time unless they are already there right?
    Or am I missing something?

simao is a right winger but has played upfront in the way Gary Kelly played up front, barca tried him there when there was too much competition on the wings, never seemed comfartable as far as i remember.

EDIT: window closes at 12am GMT

Call_me_al wrote:
    accroding to SSN benfica have refused to release Simao, balls... :(
    Hopefully that's not current news - Liverpool had an initial offer of 10mil (euros I presume) rejected and presumably they've upped their offer (to 15mil apparently).

Hopefully that's not rejected - or at least, hopefully they go ahead with the medical so that negotiations can proceed til the deadline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

the deadline is 12 tonight, last year birmingham signed dwight yorke at 11:57 pm

Please god we will get some bodies in, only 8 hours and 15 minutes to go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Simao is a right winger.

• Advertisement

just been told SSN said we have signed winger on loan? dont know anything more than that anyone watching?

this is way too distracting, im switching off my computer... see you all at 12am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    What time is the transfer window at, 6 right?

If a Bonera bid hasn't been accepted yet, tehre is no way he can get to Liverpool in time to do a medical.
    Simao is the same atm.
    They can't get there in time unless they are already there right?
    Or am I missing something?

Trasfer window closes at midnight. So technically if a player wants to sign the could send the contract. The FA just has to have a timestamp on the fax recived of before 12 midnight.

This is like the sequel to Gone in 60 Seconds :)

I'm off home to SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Simao has passed a medical in Anfield according to Sky Sports

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/transfernews.asp?type=article&id=303054
    Portugal international Simao Sabrosa has passed a medical as he closes on a move to Liverpool.

The Benfica winger is expected to join the European champions prior to Wednesday's transfer deadline in a deal worth €15 million (£10 million).

Simao is understood to have agreed personal terms with Liverpool, having been granted permission to leave Portugal's training camp to discuss his switch to Anfield.

The wide man's agent Jorge Baidek has confirmed to skysports.com that the talks are heading towards a positive conclusion.

"Now the operation is very advanced and we wait for a final solution in the next few hours," Baidek told skysports.com.

However, Benfica are thought to be trying to block Simao's move to The Premiership as they are loath to lose the right winger.

Benfica are reportedly trying to change the details of the deal in an attempt to thwart Liverpool's bid to sign the former Barcelona player.

There have been suggestions that Benfica want Djibril Cisse in part exchange but that appears to be an unlikely scenario.

Simao is expected back at the Portuguese training camp later in the day and will hope there is no last minute hitch.

i highly doubt benfica want ciise as they just signed an italina striker from juventus whom aston villa were after last week and they got their norwegian striker back from portsmouth too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I hope we sign a winger and centre back, but does anyone else think all this last minute dealing smacks of desperation or am I being cynical when i doubt Rafa planned it this way???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Good news for ya Daemonic

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=303054&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Simao+passes+medical&channel=football_home

€15milion seems very pricy would have had Aimar for that.
    But im still happy we got Simao he's a very good right winger (yes right wing is where he plays).
    Has great pace very good technicaly and has scored a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Nobody watch/remember Ireland v Portugal? :) Simao played in that. He has a good free kick on him. Took a superb free kick with the outside of his foot against us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Looks like sayonara Simao, Benfica pulled the plug....

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=303126&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Simao+deal+collapses&channel=premiership

Looks like we're going to be stuck with what we have. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Does anyone else feel a degree of ineptitude behind the scenes at
    Pool? What is the Parry / Rafa relationship like at the moment?

They seem to have got their knickers in a twist, the Owen saga
    definitely caused them to take their eye of the ball I reckon.

s**t again that another deal colapses all for the sake of 1 million pounds.Its mad.

I hope there is no rift as that is why benitez left valencia in the first place as the directors were too involved in the transfers. The whole owen saga made rafa take his eye of the ball for a second.But i wouldnt worry as rafa will make us great again, afterall we are the reigning CL winners and how many teams can say that.

Look at all the young players joining now, he seems to be laying down the foundations, going the arsenal route and buying the best European talent. The new player from austria is their current youn player of the year and hes only 17 and the new spanish buys too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Benfica trying to rob us blind, 20 million euro is a laughable price. Lets see if theres any fall back deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

galwaydude wrote:
    afterall we are the reigning CL winners and how many teams can say that.

only us...till May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

fair play to rafa for not being bent over the table. Could of done with the signings but i am confident enough we cann still keep it together until january.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Liverpool are looking like a bunch of amateurs right now. They say we tried to sign Owen but clearly they were'nt willing to match Newcastle so why the pretence? Either Parry was going to match the Magpies offer or not.
    Did they really think Real would reject 16/17 million and that Owen could tell them to accept the 2nd best offer? I now think owen was a passenger through all of this. It was Newcastle or the Madrid bench.

We were after a RW and could have got Solano today, but terms (ie a bit of cash) could'nt be agreed so he's back at Newcastle it seems. That means its Luis Garcia or FSP for that postion. No central defender either, so it'll going to be Whitbread and Josemi as cover by the looks of it. We've had 3 months to fill two positions if particular concern and come up with nothing.

Maybe it won't matter. Maybe it will. :(

Mike.

ps I know there's 84 mins till the deadline but I don't think they'll be any late breaking news...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

originally posted by me...
    someone needs to start looking for better deals for us as a club and the buck stops with the chairman and parry. last time i checked chelsea had no history and have won nothing really. we're the current champions of europe and the most succesful team in the history of english football.....we're struggling to fund a new stadium and bringing in sub standard chelsea rejects like zenden...

something needs to happen fast at the club. reality check

sometimes i worry about being so right :(

they better be saving the pennys to buy joaquin or something or we'll be using this " :mad: " face alot

So are most Liverpool fans disappointed today?

I'm just utterly shocked somebody wasn't brought in in central defense.
    I realise there are options on the right wing, Cisse etc, but central defense desperately needs somebody.

PHB wrote:
    So are most Liverpool fans disappointed today?

I'm just utterly shocked somebody wasn't brought in in central defense.
    I realise there are options on the right wing, Cisse etc, but central defense desperately needs somebody.
    I'm more worried then dissapointed. It sounds like several offers were made for several players and the prices were unreasonable for most of them. At right midfield things were slowed down because we had a potential player awaiting a work permit there and also the Figo move dragged on (I'm most disappointed at that move breaking down). But for centre of defence surely we should have gotten someone between the end of May and last night.

Also selling Baros and then bidding and failing for Owen all looks a big mess-up. I'm not too worried about not having either player (Owen would have been great but we can't pay double for him, not an option) but the current forwards need to start scoring.

I'm not convinced that we have a good option in left midfield either and right back seems lacking in good cover. Overall with all the extra matches we need to play this season I'd say we're going to struggle. If we're still up there fighting for 4th at Christmas I'll be pleased - I'm expecting Newcastle, Villa and Spurs to be pushing for that spot.

this is from the liverpool website

While I'm disappointed that Michael Owen has opted to sign for Newcastle, and will find it extremely weird seeing him in black and white, I am not heartbroken, angry or indeed surprised. In fact, I'm just pleased he hasn't signed for any of our direct rivals or 'enemies'.

I find it hard to take Newcastle seriously, and this doesn't change that too much. As one journalist so brilliantly put it over the summer, Newcastle gather 'trophy players', not trophies. Here's another.

I'm a big Michael Owen fan. He's a class act. He went abroad to win trophies, and I supported his decision, given it was to Real Madrid, at a time when his career was at a crossroads, and while Liverpool were entering another transitional period. It was the logical time to give it a shot. 'Now or never'.

He ended up winning nothing but a smattering of praise, while the Reds won the biggest prize of them all. Who saw that coming?

Now Owen is at Newcastle, a club that thinks itself as important, despite winning next-to-nothing in fifty years. A big club in terms of support, but tiny in terms of achievement.

He will be a big success there, just as Milan Baros will prove a hit at Aston Villa. But in both cases I mean in terms of goals scored, not trophies won.

Owen may not have enjoyed life back at Anfield, while Baros might not have done what Rafa required in Red. Both will probably outscore all of our strikers this season, but in sides geared toward feeding them at the expense of others. If those two sides finish mid-table, their goals will be far less meaningful.

Tomkins on Owen
    While I'm disappointed that Michael Owen has opted to sign for Newcastle, and will find it extremely weird seeing him in black and white, I am not heartbroken, angry or indeed surprised. In fact, I'm just pleased he hasn't signed for any of our direct rivals or 'enemies'.
    While Rafa clearly rates Owen, and would have liked to have him as an option (and still may, in the future), I was never convinced that he saw the player as crucial to his plans. Once Newcastle offered £17m, there was little chance of the Reds being successful in luring him back.

Liverpool's interest seemed very conditional, not least in terms of the asking price; Real Madrid might have accepted less from the Reds, just as they did for Morientes when French teams offered more - but not significantly less. Especially as Rafa needs money for other areas of the team.

Another of those conditions would have been rotation: I'm sure Owen, in a World Cup year (and his best chance of winning it, at that), just wanted to play. He has learned that being a sub in a great side isn't as much fun as being a regular in any other side if you exist purely and simply for the rush of scoring goals. I respect that. At Newcastle he is guaranteed to start every week.

It seems he's sacrificed trophies at club level (for the time being) in the hope of winning the biggest one of all with his country. He's also nearing the England goalscoring record, and that's a personal achievement that would mean as much to him as a league championship medal, I'm sure. Footballers want to be remembered, to become eternal, and that's as good a way as any.

Maybe he'll leave Newcastle for a reduced fee in a year's time, and this will turn out to be no more than a glorified 'loan' deal. I can't see him staying there for the long haul, that's for sure.

Formations

So why did none of the nation's best clubs feel the need to match Newcastle's valuation, seeing as Owen is a great individual talent who guarantees goals? Why didn't last season's top three even show the remotest interest, especially Chelsea who have only two out-and-out strikers and money to burn?

Given his physical stature, Owen requires a partner to take the physical buffeting and compete for anything in the air.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool - the four best teams in the land - all start most games with only one out-and-out striker: a central fulcrum who can bring the onrushing midfielders and wingers into play. (Arsenal do it slightly differently, with Henry and Bergkamp drifting all over the pitch, so that at times they don't appear to have any strikers.)

It's not a faddish fashion (like wingbacks in 1995): it's the template for success. Chelsea won the league deploying one front-man, and Rafa used Baros as a lone striker in Europe after Cisse broke his leg.

Meanwhile, Sven Goran Eriksson offers proof of how shoe-horning the best players into a 4-4-2 formation at the expense of a natural tactical balance results in mediocre football. Sometimes good players in the right system are better than great ones in the wrong system.

It was no coincidence that Rafa said he wanted a team with several players who score a good amount of goals, not one individual who scores loads (the problem Liverpool had latterly under Gerard Houllier's tenure: it was often Owen or bust). It's better to have six 15-goal players, than one who scores 25 while the rest get five.

Chelsea's Drogba - a tall (and derided) targetman - scored a very respectable 16 goals last season, but it was his presence that allowed Lampard, Duff, Robben, Gudjohnsen et al to get into the box from deeper positions, arriving late to score goals. When Chelsea played two out-and-out strikers, with Kezmen in the side, they were far less potent. Even now, Mourinho opts for either Drogba or Crespo - not both.

Playing Owen alongside another striker would cause problems to other areas of Rafa's team, most notably the centre of the park. The three man central midfield of Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko (/Hamann) gives the Reds a strength in that area that only Chelsea can possibly match, and it's crucial to remain strong in the heart of the battle.

That appears to be the bedrock this side will be built upon. And midfield is also an area where more goals are coming from. Luis Garcia scored 13 from open play last season - far in excess of any midfielder when the Reds played 4-4-2 under Houllier (Murphy got 12 in 2002/03, but many were from free kicks and penalties).

To highlight the point, Steven Gerrard has 20 goals for Liverpool in the last 13 months, only one of which was a penalty. Take away Owen's penalties, and his stats were not so superior to those during his best 13 months at the club. Coming from deeper areas, players can be harder to pick up.

What Rafa needs are wide midfielders-cum-wingers who can compliment this arrangement by either supplying crosses for Crouch or Morientes, or arriving into the box to score goals. That's why getting Harry Kewell fit and in form - however unlikely it seems to some - remains a crucial aspect of the season. He can supply crosses, and already has 80 career goals.

Remaining strikers

Tomkins on Crouch
    While Rafa will look to rotate his players, it's clear Crouch is not here to be called upon in last-ditch desperation. A five-man midfield, with great attacking talents, needs a striker who can hold the ball up, flick it on, and generally bring others into play. Crouch's career record of one-in-three suggests he can also score his fair share of goals.
    Had I been told nine months ago that Peter Crouch would arrive at Anfield for £7m, I'd have struggled to contain my disbelief. But that was before a superb second half to last season. When his name was first mentioned in connection with a move to Anfield I, like many others, felt it was as a target man to throw on late in games, only sporadically starting matches.

But this was doing him a disservice. His touch in the early games proved how talented he is with the ball at his feet (which was also evident as I went back over Southampton's season), and he possesses great awareness and vision (perhaps because, like a giraffe, he can see above his habitat).

Crouch's height makes him a genuine threat in the air, but also a generally awkward customer for defenders. He is harder to tackle, and deceptively swift in his movements.

While Rafa will look to rotate his players, it's clear Crouch is not here to be called upon in last-ditch desperation. A five-man midfield, with great attacking talents, needs a striker who can hold the ball up, flick it on, and generally bring others into play. Crouch's career record of one-in-three suggests he can also score his fair share of goals.

So while Owen is a better finisher (not many are in his class), and a bigger star, Crouch will suit this system better, and help to bring out the best in others.

The complications surround Fernando Morientes and Djibril Cisse. Both will feature, but how heavily? And how will the fast-improving Sinama-Pongolle fare this season?

I still think Cisse is a powder keg of potential waiting to explode. His confidence hasn't been helped by transfer speculation, and like all goalscorers he craves to start every match in order to be at his best. Playing wide has also hampered his game, but he's helped his manager out of a tight spot.

Since the start of May against Aston Villa (his first start for seven months), the Frenchman has scored ten goals for Liverpool (only two of which were in friendlies) and one for France. Not bad seeing as most of that time was taken up by the summer break, and given he's been a sub or played at wide-right on many occasions.

For a player supposedly fighting for his future, he's in fine scoring fettle. But as with Owen, and indeed Milan Baros, it's more a case of him not perfectly suiting the role of lone striker.

Cisse proved against the Uefa Cup winners that when Rafa needs a fast front man, and is prepared to play two up front, he can cause problems for the opposition, and score goals. He may feature less than he likes, but once the transfer deadline has passed, he can cast all the speculation aside. At least Owen won't be a threat to his place.

To conclude, while I'll always be an Owen fan, it's worth remembering that since 2002 he's won just the League Cup; Rafa, meanwhile, has collected two Spanish titles, a Uefa Cup and a European Cup. Owen will always score goals, but Rafa knows how to win the trophies that matter.

Paul Tomkins is the author of 'Golden Past, Red Future'.

• Advertisement

So im totaly pi**ed off this morning.

Let me get this straight we end up with

(1) No Owen
    (2) No Right Winger
    (3) No Center Back
    (4) Baros gone

a disaster of a transfer season for us!
    Christ some body dropped the ball big time the last couple of days!

the Simao deal got out of hand as Benfica started asking for silly money €20million euro ha not a chance.

The Owen deal was pulled by Rafa which is fair enough if he was goin to bring in other players with the cash but he didn't so Rafa dropped the ball on that one.

The Center back well we were linked with about 10 players in this position the last month or so and not one deal came about!

It's a worry that we havent got anybody in for the 3 areas we needed to strenghten the most.

well we dont have too bad a squad so im not too worried. we have a much better squad than last year. im not unhappy with the lads we got:

1. Jerzy Dudek
    3. Steve Finnan
    4. Sami Hyypia
    6. John Arne Riise
    7. Harry Kewell
    8. Steven Gerrard
    9. Djibril Cisse
    10. Luis Garcia
    14. Xabi Alonso
    15. Peter Crouch
    16. Dietmar Hamann
    17. Josemi
    19. Fernando Morientes
    20. Scott Carson
    21. Djimi Traore
    22. Momo Sissoko
    23. Jamie Carragher
    24. Florent Sinama Pongolle
    25. Pepe Reina
    28. Stephen Warnock
    30. Boudewijn Zenden
    31. David Raven
    33. Neil Mellor
    34. Darren Potter
    36. Antonio Barragan
    37. Zak Whitbread
    - Miki Roque
    - David Mannix
    - Lee Peltier
    - Ryan Wilkie
    - Danny O'Donnell
    - Paul Willis
    - James Smith
    - Danny Guthrie
    - Jack Hobbs
    - Godwin Antwi
    - Ramon Calliste
    - Besian Idrizaj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Benitezs Purchases

Good
    Alonso - good buy
    Reina - not seen enough but prob good
    Sissoko - looks ok

Dodgy
    Garcia - gives the ball away
    Zenden - not up to standard
    Nunez - gone already says a lot
    Pellegrino - gone already says a lot
    Carson - hasn't been convincing - made a few mistakes already
    Josemi - can't defend
    Morientes - not lived up his billing
    Crouch - just not a liverpool player

Might be a decent manager but that aint pretty reading from a pool fans point of view(Not included the young players here as don't know enough about them

We can not be happy with the squad we have!

There is no cover at center back!
    Our strikers have not lived up to there billing.
    The right side of midfield has not been filled and hasn't been since the days of Shaggy.

Yes i no we have withbread for cover be he is just not up to the standard required.

We have 5 strikers at the club and not one seems to be cable of the required 20 goals+ in the league.

we need to progress not stand still.

We need to launch an attack on the market in January.

I would be haoppy to be in contention for the league and still in Europe when the transfer window opens again.
    But i fear with the squad we have this ain't going to happen

crouch will get 15+ goals as will Cisse depending on the amount of games he plays. goals will come from midfield, read the article on lfc.tv from paul tompkins(sp?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

The summer started so optimistically for most pool fans but it has been the most frustrating few months for us all. Players being constantly linked and then their clubs ripping the piss on price just because we were european champions and Benitez wasn't having any of it (and I suppose he desveres credit for that). Personally I'm a bit worried about this season due to the massive amount of games on the roster and the lack of cover for centre back. Then I've no confidence in the front line and there's no decent wingers (left or right) in the squad either.

Troubling times ahead me thinks :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well there is a positive that if we can get an eleven going that are winning games but could be more effective with just one or 2 signings in january it'll make for a better more consistent season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Shred wrote:
    The summer started so optimistically for most pool fans but it has been the most frustrating few months for us all. Players being constantly linked and then their clubs ripping the piss on price just because we were european champions

Agreed. I think I alluded to this as a possibility after we won the CL. Its like a "CL-winners Handicap". If you come into big money, supposedly, other clubs will work on that basis and try and get as much out of you. Chelsea have the same problem, but unfortunately they have a near-bottomless pit when it comes to their funding as Abramovich is worth nearly 10b with oil at 70 bucks a barrell. Its funny how a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico can increase the funds that Chelsea have at their disposal!

The failure to sign Simao was an example of this handicap:
    "The reason for the failure to conclude a deal was a change in Benfica's demands as they wanted €20 million (£13.6 million), while The Reds only went as far as €18 million (£12.3 million)."

Clearly, this was a rip-off price, and Liverpool (Parry/Board) knew it. So, Liverpool have been priced out of the market. Whether Benfica were also genuine is another story. I'm not dissapointed to see Owen not arriving. A 17m price tag for him would have been pricey, and unsettling for Cisse, even though he lacks quality.

Selling Baros was a mistake in my eyes, and buying Crouch. It would have been better if Benitez could have worked with and on Baros to improve the problems he has. The decision has been made so we have to get on with it.

Bentiez's capabilty to date has been his ability to recover from his mistakes. OK Rafa, the situation we are in is not just down to you or mistakles you havemade, it is the nature of the marketplace. We have mone in the kitty for the Jan window. But in the meantime, now its time to recover from the situation ..... so, it'll be interesting how he gets out of this one. He will need the likes of Gerrard, Alonso, and others to perform superbly. Liverpool now need all their players to play at the top of their game to succeed. If they dont, it will be a so-so season. Maybe we'll have a good run in the FA Cup ... or the CL ?!?! ....

redspider

champions league may turn out to be a poisoned chalice for us i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Call_me_al wrote:
    well we dont have too bad a squad so im not too worried. we have a much better squad than last year. im not unhappy with the lads we got:

- Ramon Calliste

Sounds Impressive, Where did they get him from. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

mike65 wrote:
    Did they really think Real would reject 16/17 million and that Owen could tell them to accept the 2nd best offer?

thats how it happened with morientes, we only had the second best offer in! same with Baros and Villa - Lyon had a much higher bid in for him!
    woodyg wrote:
    We have 5 strikers at the club and not one seems to be cable of the required 20 goals+ in the league.
    as yer man tomkins said, its better to have 6 players scoring 15+ goals than 2 scoring 25+..... and i totally agree with that
    TheMonster wrote:
    Dodgy
    Josemi - can't defend
    fair enough bout nunez and pellegrino, but what you said about rest is rediculous - i mean garcia got like 15 goals last season, a good player in my book, he just needs to wake up this season.

Carson is very young, give him a chance he hasnt been given enough 1st team chances yet.

Dont even comment on Crouch, the lad hasnt even kicked a ball for the pool in the premiership yet, and he looked very impressive in the qualifiers/friendlies

Josemi was injured for most of last season, but impressed me in the games he played just after he signed - very good potential.

nando hasnt even been given a chance either, players need to settle when they sign. last season was very unsettling for him too, with being cup tied and all.

zenden likewise, how many players you gonna judge after only 3 proper games!!

all in all, it wasnt a bad transfer window for us, got rid of some dirt (pelligrino, nunez, houlliers flops) and signed some really good potential (sissoko, barragan, loads of other young players).

i really wish we could have signed a winger and a CB but it didnt work out that way, so we're just gonna have to make it to Jan with the squad we have which is more than achieveable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Call_me_al wrote:
    champions league may turn out to be a poisoned chalice for us i think.

I wouldnt go that far.

Look, what is the trophy that all teams want. Its the CL. Liverpool won it. We should be very happywith it. I know, I am. It doesnt matter if we dont win anything this year. I would have that and a win of the CL rather than two seasons where we did well.

You will also see that at Chelsea this year a greater emphasis on the CL. I could see them winning the EPL and not the CL. The CL is much more difficult to win, just ask: Real, Bayern, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea .... oh ... and AC Milan!

Any Liverpool fans that feel down this season, just stick on the video (tape/dvd) of the CL win ..... and remember.

We cant win things every season .... we cant improve every season ....

redspider

redspider wrote:

We cant win things every season .... we cant improve every season ....

redspider

Can I use that as My sig?

I though the whold idea was to try improve every season by building on what you have. I would be very surprise is that attitute prevailed at any professional football club never mind one as proud and steeped in tradition as Liverpool F.C. .

BTW if LIverpool don't improve on last years league position they will not be in Europe next season {unless the win the CL again} and that could have very serious financial implications for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

TheMonster wrote:
    Benitezs Purchases

Good
    Alonso - good buy
    Reina - not seen enough but prob good
    Sissoko - looks ok

Dodgy
    Josemi - can't defend

Might be a decent manager but that aint pretty reading from a pool fans point of view(Not included the young players here as don't know enough about them

As usual you are talking through your ar**. Every manager makes mistakes in the transfer market, lets look at Ferguson since you are a Man U fan..

Dodgy -
    Djemba Djemba
    Klebrson
    Miller
    Bellion
    Bosnich
    Masimo Taibi
    Tim Howard
    Ricardo
    Forlan
    Smith

Need I go on??

As for your Liverpool dodgy signings Carson made one mistake in the game against Juventus that’s it he has not played in many more matches to make any mistakes. He has looked very solid.

You are already slagging off Crouch and the season has not started. Zenden is a good squad player, he was Middelsbourgh player of the season last year. Garcia does give the ball away to much but he scored 16 goals last year more then Rooney or Smith last year if I am not mistaken.

Morientes has struggled a bit so far but to call him a flop after 6 months?? Nunez we got with the Owen deal bundled in for Free. The two mistakes I give you are Pellegrino and Joesmi but it looks like he is trying to convert Joesmi into a CB and I would give him a chance there.

As usual you are having a pop at Liverpool and as usual you are talking nonsense.

The Muppet wrote:
    I though the whold idea was to try improve every season by building on what you have. I would be very surprise is that attitute prevailed at any professional football club never mind one as proud and steeped in tradition as Liverpool F.C. .
    Better not be the bloody attitude - we've gotten successively less points each season for the last 3 or 4 seasons afaik.

i mean in signings really, if we hadnt won it i can guarantee you rafa would have got the players on his list for decent prices.

muppet - he was released by united last season, and he scored on his debut for the reserves.

insider - in fairness i wouldnt include forlan in that list coz he WAS a good player but never got a chance but veron should have been top of your list - 28.1m you're having a laff!!!

also Alonso is the best passer of the ball in the PL at the moment, and Sissoko is very much gonna be a huge player in the PL in a couple of years..

sorry muppet didnt see your ;)

Call_me_al wrote:
    muppet - he was released by united last season, and he scored on his debut for the reserves.

Just Teasing ,I knew they got him from UNited when they disbanded one of their reserve teams. Apparently he had a very good game on his debut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The Muppet wrote:
    Sounds Impressive, Where did they get him from. ;)

2 words for ye,

Peter Beardsley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

As usual you are talking through your ar**. Every manager makes mistakes in the transfer market, lets look at Ferguson since you are a Man U fan..

Dodgy -
    Djemba Djemba
    Klebrson
    Miller
    Bellion
    Bosnich
    Masimo Taibi
    Tim Howard
    Ricardo
    Forlan
    Smith

Need I go on??

If you need to, how was forlan a dodgy? didn't he put two past the pool? or is it normal for the pool to loose two goals to dodgy strikers? :P

he wasn't suited in england that doesn't make a player dodgy, strikers who bang in 20+ goals in spain must be dodgy.

Hows Miller dodgy? smith? I think you'll find howard's keeping record is excellent at utd, yeah he made a few howlers, as did peter shilton, pat jennings, DUDEK, and every other keeper in the world.

but yeah every manager makes mistakes and always will.

the difference is the mistakes Benitezs is making are going to cause liverpool not to be in the champions league, there's a bit of a difference.

because you can be pretty sure they won't be near a champions league spot this year and i'll eat pubic hair on crackers if they can win it again.

these are very very very costly mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Call_me_al wrote:
    insider - in fairness i wouldnt include forlan in that list coz he WAS a good player but never got a chance but veron should have been top of your list - 28.1m you're having a laff!!!

Yeah in fairness forlan has gone on to show his worth...lol forgot about Veron 28 million..Monster what do you have to say to that one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

ntlbell wrote:
    because you can be pretty sure they won't be near a champions league spot this year and i'll eat pubic hair on crackers if they can win it again.

:eek: :rolleyes: who's pubic hair?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement