Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

woodyg wrote:

Is Rafa setting his sights on the u18 league or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Stekelly wrote:
    Is Rafa setting his sights on the u18 league or what?
    Well, we've developed excellent youth facilities - we may as well fill them with excellent youth players. He seems to be good at bringing young players into the first team and giving them chances so it seems a worthwhile policy.

He has the reserves playing as largely a youth team and also there is increased competition in the u-18s, both teams are doing well at the moment so hopefully it bears fruit in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Youth teams are the basis for any success in the PL besides a huge huge amount of money, Blackburn and Chelsea.

Man Utd and Arsenal have done what they have done because of their youth programs.
    Rafa understands this and is trying to emulate it.
    If your u-18's win the reserve league, in three years time, about 3 of those players will probably be in your first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

well hopefully benitez will see Joaquin as the man to solve the right wing problem and splash the cash for whatever betis want for him before chelsea and real madrid get back in the hunt for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

el rabitos wrote:
    well hopefully benitez will see Joaquin as the man to solve the right wing problem and splash the cash for whatever betis want for him before chelsea and real madrid get back in the hunt for him

I think that they definitely tried to sign him in the summer, but Benitez's philosophy is that he'll only pay what he believes is a reasonable price... and I think that Betis were asking too much - they don't want to lose him but they probably know they eventually will, but for more than Liverpool will pay for him. Sad, he's quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Buying youth for developement is all well and good, but that needs to be backup to a solid first team. There are big holes that need filling in the team first, not in three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have'nt clicked that link but I bet its about Barragan, who has really caught the eye in the reserves. Am I right?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mike65 wrote:
    I have'nt clicked that link but I bet its about Barragan, who has really caught the eye in the reserves. Am I right?

Mike.
    negative

Well it should have been about Barragan! He's sh!t hot and will almost cetainly get a run out in the Carling Cup as a first team taster.

The reserves team is looking very good from first hand accounts I've been reading.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    The reserves team is looking very good from first hand accounts I've been reading.

Mike.
    Yep, by all accounts it sounds like we have a youth team playing instead of a reserve team - and they're playing well and sound like they're hungry to get into the first team, it can only be a good thing.

Of course we still need 2 or 3 players for the first team bought with experience but the squad overall seems quite healthy.

• Advertisement

Read a post on the LFC board, apparently from a source in the Spanish FA (all transfers have to go through them), about buying Joaquin, Torres and Gonzalez in January. Hard to know with these so-called "sources"..... couldn't really see him going for both Joaquin and Gonzalez, but sure I suppose they'd enquire about both and see how it progresses. Work permit for Gonzalez permitting - anyone know what ever happened to the appeal to the F.A. about this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

if we dont get gonzalez in jan we will definately get him next summer as he will be getting dual citizenship for spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

Sky Sports are reporting that Mark Gonzalez has signed a 4 year contract with liverpool

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=318158&CPID=8&clid=&channel=skysports_home_page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N150325051020-1528.htm

So, when Gonzales eventually comes, in January i guess, we'll have down the left hand side:

Traore
    Riise
    Warnock
    Zenden
    Kewell
    and Gonzales.

And on the right hand side we have:

Finnan
    Josemi
    Garcia (does he count? he hardly sticks to the wing)

This all looks very lopsided. It might be best if Benitez shipped Kewell and Traore out, which would hopefully part-fund an out & out right-winger.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

SofaKing wrote:
    This all looks very lopsided. It might be best if Benitez shipped Kewell and Traore out, which would hopefully part-fund an out & out right-winger.

I'd be more inclined to get rid of Kewell and Zenden. Actually we could sell them to the Knackers yard for glue. It's about all their worth. Especially Kewell. He know's that he has to do something special to win the fans over and yet again last night he was about as useful as tits on a boar. He doesn't deserve to wear the Red of Liverpool. The way he plays, the Red of Acrington Stanly would be a better level for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

Well Gonzales can play on both wings as can Kewell, a.f.a.i.k. Rafa is buying Gonzales for the right wing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Shred wrote:
    Well Gonzales can play on both wings as can Kewell, a.f.a.i.k. Rafa is buying Gonzales for the right wing

yeah thats what I thought. I'm delighted they got him. I wonder will they be allowed to play him seen as he was signed and registered before the deadline on a loan deal only for that to fall through because of a work permit. I doubt it but we could use him

LFCFan wrote:
    I'd be more inclined to get rid of Kewell and Zenden. Actually we could sell them to the Knackers yard for glue. It's about all their worth. Especially Kewell. He know's that he has to do something special to win the fans over and yet again last night he was about as useful as tits on a boar. He doesn't deserve to wear the Red of Liverpool. The way he plays, the Red of Acrington Stanly would be a better level for him.
    LOL

Seriously though, what a disappointment Kewell has been. I got his name on my jersey when he signed - really thought he was going to become something special.

Agree that Gonzalez was probably signed for the right wing

I don't mind if he's right or left wing - having somebody decent on the pitch for either side would be nice, whether they're pulled from our current crop of players or from outside, I really don't mind.

I presume we'll probably try for Simao again in the transfer window (and I presume the price will have gone up 2 or 3 mil and also I presume their supporters will kick up fuss again...)

• Advertisement

Shred wrote:
    Well Gonzales can play on both wings as can Kewell

Kewell couldn't play with his knob these days, never mind on the wing. He has to go in January unless there is one hell of an improvement between now and then. I would love to see the Leeds Kewell. I would worship the man if he started playing like that again but after 3 years I doubt very much if we'll see it :(

Gonzalez won't join until next summer at the earliest. As his work permit was rejected we have to wait a year before applying for a new one. While the noise being made about him sounds promising, I reckon he is still very much unproven.

As for Harry Kewell, he makes me physically sick. How can a player that was soooo good, be so conistently faeces? He never seems to have any passion - he seems like a waster of epic proportions. I doubt we'll ever see Leeds Harry Kewell at Anfield (not playing for Liverpool anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

mike65 wrote:
    The Carling Cup game is on Sky Sports 2 on Tuesday Night, hopefully we get to see Baragan, Potter & a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Its good to hear that Gonzalez is coming, Speedy is his nickname and thats what we need on the wing and a winger. However, I have not seen him play so cant judge what impact he will have. A good crosser may suit the likes of a Morientes, or a Morientes from 4 years ago.

After the fiasco that was the away loss to Fulham over the weekend, there is now a long list of players that are just not cutting mustard. I see only the following players who I would definitely keep:

Reina/Dudek (Kirkland and Carson)
    Finnan
    Carragher
    Riise
    Warnock
    Gerrard
    Alonso

Players that can still play a role with the right type of players
    around them:
    Hamann
    Cisse
    Pongolle

Next level, players who by and large arent good enough, but at times can do ok to fill a gap:
    Sissoko
    Traore
    Garcia
    Josemi

Players who aren't good enough:
    Crouch
    Morientes
    Hyppia
    Kewell

Alonso is the only Benitez signing that is good enough. Reina is ok but is on a par as Dudek and the others, so was a pointless signing really.

We need a CB. Would it not be better to put Traore there for the moment, keep Hyppia as a sub, and use Riise and Warnock down the left?

Its hard to believe that Benitez/Liverpool are doing such a poor job in the transfer market. Lets hope for everyone's sake that Gonzalez is a jewel and a Maradona in the making .....

redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Its hard to believe that Benitez/Liverpool are doing such a poor job in the transfer market. Lets hope for everyone's sake that Gonzalez is a jewel and a Maradona in the making .....

"Lets Hope" seems to be the mantra of liverpool fans at the prospect of anything good happening for the club.

the problem with liverpool starts in the boardroom. moores and parry arent ruthless enough in my opinion and the attitude trickles down to the manager and the players.

someone needs to light a fire under the manager and the players a$$' because theres alot of teams improving in the premier league and liverpool dont look to be one of them for the past few years.

chelsea arent just winning because they have some top players. they win because they hound the opposition for 90 minutes, dont give the oppostion time on the ball. it doesnt take 200+ million to install that in the minds of players.

rafa hasnt adjusted to the premiership yet and what it takes to score goals. losing to fulham?? fulham ffs. and losing 2 - 0. i dont care if we retain the champions league this year, if we finished 5th or lower i'll be wanting a change of manager. and he can take josemi, traore, cisse, kewell, morientes and the rest with him tbh

redspider wrote:
    Next level, players who by and large arent good enough, but at times can do ok to fill a gap:
    Sissoko
    Traore
    Garcia
    Josemi

Have you even watched Liverpool this season? Sissoko has been the only consistant player even thoug he's only just joined the squad. He's had about 5 MOTM performances already. And why are people so down on Garcia all the time. Ok, he gives the ball away a lot and can be frustrating at times when he tries something different and it doesn't come off but last year he was our second top scorer in his first season. I for one think that deserves a lot of respect and to at least give the man a bit of time to get more used to the physical side the English game. Josemi on the other hand shouldn't be allowed on the pitch. Traore can do a job for us but he can be a liability at times as he fouls too often in dangerous areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Garcia is an odd player.
    Sometime she produces magic, sometimes he doesn't.
    But Liverpool need some magic men if they want to play this sort of formation, and Garcia can certainly be considered a magic men, but you need more of them

Thanks PHB, maybe we should recruit Elton John :rolleyes:
    Someone who makes an effort tbh and can put in a half decent cross from out wide without giving the ball away. Tisn't rocket science...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

redspider wrote:
    Players who aren't good enough:
    Crouch
    Morientes
    Hyppia
    Kewell
    redspider

Morientes not good enough for liverpool?, Liverpool not good enough for Morientes.You'll see how good he is when they get a couple of decent wide players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

morientes is a fantastic header of the ball so he needs crosses. i still think he can come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

LFCFan wrote:
    Traore can do a job for us but he can be a liability at times as he fouls too often in dangerous areas.

There's more wrong with his game than just fouling in dangerous areas! Can't understand how you rate Traore over Josemi, awful awful player.

• Advertisement

They are both awful. I can't undersatnd how anyone would ever start Traore ahead of Warnock - I can understand Josemi when Finnan is injured - but only then.

morientes is a fantastic header of the ball so he needs crosses. i still think he can come good.
    I'd go along with that, which makes 2 players on redspider's "not good enough" list that could actually be useful with a proper service (Crouch also, shocking the berating he's gotten so far given the crap balls he's be getting).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Ah come on Crouch is muck. A Villa reject FFS !!! A few good games for the Saints and he gets into the England squad (so did Heskey remember !), he's not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

redspider wrote:
    Reina is ok but is on a par as Dudek and the others, so was a pointless signing really.

Reina is a big improvement over Dudek, hes much more solid, commands the area, is great in one on ones and has made very few mistakes. When he has made a mistake, it doesn't seem to have any effect on his confidence.

Its looks like Josemi is being shipped out in January, some mid-table La Liga side wants him it seems, also Dudek was brilliant in his return game with the reserves last week according to those who saw the match.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

steven pienaar is to become available in January on a free deal for next season or more likely a mininmal fee straight away after deciding to leave Ajax.
    i can see rafa making a bid for him.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=323254&CPID=9&clid=&lid=2&title=Pienaar+to+quit+Ajax

i see kuyt is being watched by Arsenal would be disapointed if he went there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=330649&cpid=23&CLID=&lid=2&title=Spaniards+agree+Sinama+deal&channel=football_home

they havent decided if they want him as of yet.
    Will be sory to see him go if its true as i liked him as a player.

wonder does this mean a certain winger may be joing liverpool in january

I'd love to see him being loaned out, similar to A Le T. It's a shame but it seems that neither of these players will ever live up to their potential at Liverpool. At youth tournaments a few years ago they were out performing players like C. Ronaldo, he's now an established ManU squad member while the Liverpool pair are drifting.

Still, if it clears things out and allows better players in then I guess I'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I too would much prefer to see a loan deal in place instead so he could get first team football and maybe then we'd see the Flo everyone expected him to be. Surely he hasn't impressed enough to command any sort of decent transfer money so seems like a bit of a waste, can't be on too high wages either.. Im sure Rafa will do the right thing for the club anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

would not be happy at all to see him leave but as pete says if we bring in some quality first team players then i'll quickly forget about sinama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

galwaydude wrote:
    15mil + Sinama perhaps! Wouldn't rule at out at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

It is a loan deal. Until the end of season. It has been reported on a number of sites as a loan deal.

If Flo-Po go (ahem) then is Cisse staying? Frankly I'd sooner have the former than the latter playing with Crouch.

Mike.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too upset to see Cisse going. The team is doing well at the moment and he's starting to moan, I get the impression he'd be happy if he got his own way and the team was losing. I've no doubt about his skill and potential but at the moment he's looking like Baros v2.0. Unfortunately he'll bang in a few for France at the World Cup probably and I'd reckon the smart thing to do would be to sell him after and not off-load him before.

Dudek is going nowhere according to rafa, meanwhile another youngster is being tested between the sticks, David Martin of Milton Keynes Dons gets a game in the reserves.

So then 3 international keepers for Liverpool, Dudek still wants out unless he can get games.

Also Flo-Po is going nowhere according to both Real betis and Rafa, unless you belive this thread check the time the reports were filed!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Sky Sports wrote:
    Mark Gonzalez claims he will finally join Liverpool in two weeks.

The Chilean winger has seen his move delayed by a number of months after he saw his original transfer from Albacete scuppered when he failed to secure a work-permit.

However, Chile have since risen in Fifa rankings which has smoothed over the deal and Liverpool confirmed the deal was back on in October.

Gonzalez - currently recovering from a bad knee injury - claims he will be on Merseyside before the end of the year.

"I'll join Liverpool in two weeks and I'd be able to play a friendly in a month," Gonzalez said.

"I'm anxious to fly and be with my new team-mates. It's important to get used to my new team quickly.

"They know I'm a left-footed midfielder and like to attack.

"If the coach wants me to play in defence, I'll do it, because I want to get used to it as soon as possible."

Finally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PJG

Davei141 wrote:
    Finally!
    jesus nice one, I was deciding if we should open up the seond bottle of vino, pool are looking well at the mo. 2-3 new additions and were flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Looks like Zenden is out for the season, so Kewell, Garcia and Riise are wingers until January

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N150795051209-1511.htm

Fer petes sake he was just comming good! Just as well the left side is so well peopled, you forgot Warnock!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I would consider Warnock a LB!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement