Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've seen him play wide left too, once or twice.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Yeah I have seen him there once or twice! But would be more inclined to see him as a LB, where he can put in those crunching tackles (and hopefully not hurt himself) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

Good player Warnock, but Gonzales might get the permit for jan, plus Antonio Barragan is just coming back from injury and hes been playing fantastically in the reserves, he can play right full or right wing.

Rafa has been named manager of the Month! Oh dear that means Boro will win tomorrow! ;)

What chance Jamie Carragher will be player of the month?

Hamann story here

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Ok - so when exactly and for how long does the transfer window open up?

What do we think are likely to be the ins and outs?

Sinama-Pongolle to Betis with Jaoquin going in the opposite direction?
    What about this fellow Vidic, who man u also seem interested in?

Could be an interesting reversal of the Silvestre affair of a few years ago, with Liverpool Champions League Winners, improving in the Premiership and soon to be World Champions (fingers crossed) - Vidic might be more inclined to head for Anfield should the choice arise.

Anyway - what other rumours are there? I think Chris Riggot has been mentioned a few times... Also AFAIK Gonzalez can't play until next year because you can only make one work permit application per player per year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Chile are in the top 70, so i think they dont have to ask. I could be wrong.

Sinama-Pongolle to Betis with Jaoquin going in the opposite direction?

Nope, though I do see Dudek going over, he needs regular games before next summer. Rafa has said Flo-Po wont go, looks like he wants to keep him in the squad. Vidic wants to play in Italy according to the latest press cuttings Rafa will proberly suprise us with a couple of names not even mentioned.

Cisse seems to be pouring oil on troubled waters if he is happy to knuckle down and be a team player then that one less potential transaction to be distracted with.

Did anyone know that Rafas dad died this week? Ther'll be mins silence before the World Club final.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

very strong rumour that Jermaine Pennant is a done deal and will sign on jan 1st for €5m. Dont know if its a good thing or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Agreed.. Handy enough player though. I imagine he is still gonna sign another right winger.. Very apparent that he wants two players for each position..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Rafa talking about the transfer window today on the official site.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N150910051220-0824.htm

Rafael Benitez is looking forward to strengthening his squad when the transfer window reopens next month - but he admits he's under pressure to make the right decisions and sign the right players.
    A central defender and right sided midfielder remain Benitez's top targets and the Spaniard admits he mustn't make mistakes in the market if his side are to maintain their excellent form over the first half of the campaign.

He said: "It is very difficult and very rare that you can have 100 per cent success in the transfer market. We need to get it right in the next few months but, if I have got it right a lot of times in my career, then I have also made mistakes.

"What is important is that you must give the players confidence in their new team-mates. They must trust the new signings. It makes it much easier to build things.

"It is difficult to sign in January because the best players are playing in good teams, which makes it harder. But then after the World Cup, prices go up if they have had a good tournament.

"It isn't only about money either. I always say it's like having a table with three legs and you need to get the other one to fit properly.

"You want a certain size and people may be saying 'have this one, it's cheaper and it's better' but you have to make sure you get the right one. It is the same in football - if you want to build a team, you have to get the one that fits in.

"In this case we have done it with four players (in the summer), but we want to get more. We want to grow and we want to be positive.

"I have got it right a lot of times over my career, but also made a lot of mistakes. You could be the best journalist in Tokyo, say, but go to London and have problems with the food, or maybe your wife doesn't like the weather. It's the same with the players.

"It depends on the scouting department as well. You can have information about players but might need to talk to the scouts to find out that little bit more. You may know someone is a good player, but need to find out about them as a person and a professional as well."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

That all sounds pretty sensible and level headed to me. Fair play to him.

The Muppet wrote:
    That all sounds pretty sensible and level headed to me. Fair play to him.

Yea,he is the right man for the job.Thank god we got him.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

We should have gone to IKEA years ago...

Villa agree Davis deal
    20/12/2005 - 11:44:53

Aston Villa midfielder Steven Davis has agreed a new three-and-a-half year contract with the Midlands club.

There were allot of rumors of Davis coming to Liverpool,so thats another off the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Hope he likes Championship football

Dub13 wrote:
    Yea,he is the right man for the job.Thank god we got him.:)

To think we could have had Maureen...not sure that would be a good or bad thing right now!:p

Mike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I was slightly pissed off at the time when Moaninho went to Chelsea but that was before I realised what a **** stain the man is. Rafa is a great manager and a great man and he will build Liverpool into the Team we all want them to be by doing things the old fashioned way and not because he has an unlimited transfer budget. When the history books look back at this period in English football I know for a fact that Rafa will be seen as the much better manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Rafa wrote:
    "The question I now have is Hamann is without possibilities to play tomorrow, this is the conclusion for me."

LOL!

I love trying to figure out what this guy is saying! :D

Liverpool have apparently made a move for Juve central defender
    Jonathan Zebina.

http://www.clubcall.com/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,5034-143502-19728-33213-219629-11846-5024-layout104-160718-news-item,00.html

Any Serie A fans out there?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Mike.. Dont really know too much about Zebina. What I do know is that he isn't fancied at Juve. Its not like we will be Prying him away from the hands of Juve. I have a feeling this is another smokescreen. I am pretty confident Rafa wants Vidic..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

mike65 wrote:
    Jonathan Zebina.

http://www.clubcall.com/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,5034-143502-19728-33213-219629-11846-5024-layout104-160718-news-item,00.html

Mike.
    I just know his name from being a permanent fixture in the France squad. He's a right back.

Spurs websites are claiming that we have agreed a deal for Ledley King. Fee of 12m mentioned but also part exchange mentioned with cisse heading south. A big swoop if its true.

rondeco wrote:
    Spurs websites are claiming that we have agreed a deal for Ledley King. Fee of 12m mentioned but also part exchange mentioned with cisse heading south. A big swoop if its true.

Its on a few sites....I would love if it were true but not sure if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Sounds a bit expensive 12M + Cissé, King is good, is he that good? Would he even be a first choice centre half for us?

I'm not convinced.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Sounds a bit expensive 12M + Cissé, King is good, is he that good? Would he even be a first choice centre half for us?

I'm not convinced.

No, its either 12m or else cisse plus cash. I think he could be the one to replace hyppia but then he is prone to making seriouos errors. Anyway, in rafa we trust.

1)I dont think Spurs would let King leave...they see themselfs as a "big club" not a selling club.

2)He would be a long term replacment for Hyypia.

3)IMO Cissé value is around two packs of King a mars bar and a can of coke.

4)I dont think Spurs are looking for another Forward

12 mill is nuts. No wonder so many players in the prem are non English with those prices! Anyways Spurs are a club on the up (I reckon 4th place is between them and Bolton) and King is part of the success.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

12 million with cisse is crazy money. King is a good defender but not that good. It would also mean that we would have to splash out on another striker.

Just one other thing....Did anyone see rafa's comments about player will be over priced after the world cup...I think this is a great tatic to get perry to give him an extra bit of cash for the jan. transfer window.

Dub13 wrote:
    1)

3)IMO Cissé value is around two packs of King a mars bar and a can of coke.

LOL and that's a can of coke more than Drogba.

Were Spurs not looking for 25 million fo King the last time there was transfer speculation surrounding King?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I just did a google of Spurs sites and I don't see that story anywhere.

But eh... £12m... less than I'd have thought they'd let him go for and I'd rather have a proven PL defender than a cheap Euro defender who might not cut it.

PiE wrote:
    I just did a google of Spurs sites and I don't see that story anywhere.

But eh... £12m... less than I'd have thought they'd let him go for and I'd rather have a proven PL defender than a cheap Euro defender who might not cut it.

http://www.worldfootballers.com/news.php?id=11653

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=4343

http://www.squarefootball.net/article/transfer.asp?tid=180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

No chance is King going to be let go. Spurs have already said they have moved out of the selling club bracket. Seen when Chelsea bid 20mil for King. King is also captain now if I remember correctly and loves the club.

This has prob just come up because Jol said earlier this season he liked Cisse as a player. Then of course the Sun and so on said he was going to bid anywhere between 6 and 8mil for him. Jol doesn't need a Cisse. He has Defoe and Keane as his small quick strikers. He needs someone to replace Mido when he leaves for African Nations. Raysiack or watever his name is doesnt seem to be up to the task. Could see him moving for that Dutch guy to replace Mido.

Also Cisse aint worth 8 mil as this deal would suggest. To get King you would need to pay at least 20 million which is the going rate.

Also Liverpool have been linked with Riggott alot of the replacement for Hyppia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

King for 12 million?

That is just liverpool fans dreaming.
    If he does move from Liverpool, why would he move to Liverpool from Spurs, when I'd imagine Jol has them believing that they are on the same level with the same potential.

Furthermore, 12 million! They were looking for 20 last time people came knocking.
    Also he is in the similar style to Carragher, and I think Benetiz will look for a more continental Carvalho style of defender to partner him.

PHB wrote:
    I'd imagine Jol has them believing that they are on the same level with the same potential.

Its mad what people belive in...Santa,UFOs,Fairy Rings,Banshees etc etc.

I don't know, I'd say theres quite afew people who believe that the Spurs crop has greater potential than the Liverpool.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    I don't know, I'd say theres quite afew people who believe that the Spurs crop has greater potential than the Liverpool.

Are you one of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

:rolleyes: and so begin the crazy rumours for january players
    Lets be honest here for the money spurs would want for King we could buy a hole new back 4!
    it would be more likely to see Simao and a froreign centre back come in January maybe Vidic or the Argey. Would love to get a top notch centre back in the ayala molde

King for 12 million funniest thing i've heard this year:D

Not really, I think Gerrard alone makes Liverpool better.
    Without gerrard though I think Spurs as a whole have a younger team with greater potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

PHB, do you think spurs have better potential than united?

Davei141 wrote:
    PHB, do you think spurs have better potential than united?

Jesus lets no go there , It's nearly christmas.

• Advertisement

Nope, if you do a quick search for previous posts by me you could see my opinions on Uniteds youth prospects :)

Don't you just hate some manu fans

PHB wrote:
    Not really, I think Gerrard alone makes Liverpool better.
    Without gerrard though I think Spurs as a whole have a younger team with greater potential.

ok.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

LFCFan Banned for abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

I think it is important to note that potential does not win trophies. Players doing there job do. And I know it is easy to say that all Liverpool fans just refer to Istanbul. But Istanbul is a fact. It happened. And Potential is not a fact. Its something waiting to happen.

And If you look at the Players Rafa has signed under the age of 19 in the last year you will see the potential in Liverpool. Look at The reserves resuls. Outstanding for a group of players there age.

And they have a young lad called Adam Hammill who is only just turned 17... If you are to believe the reports he's got an amazing future ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

mike65 wrote:
    Jonathan Zebina.

Mike.

plays right back, good at attacking, not the best passer, pace is ok nothing special, can defend well, injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

I know this is off topic ever so slightly but I hope you'll find it in your heart to forgive me....

Signed copies of Fowler's autobiography available in Hughes and Hughes Stephens Green €25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Not just right back! Zebina has been known to play centre back, particularly when he was at Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Good news. Didi Hamann is about to sign a 12 month extension.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4551732.stm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement