Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suprised at that, given his first team chances are few enough this season but if he willing to stay on, great. He can teach Momo how to be a mean efficent tackling machine!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I wish he would teach him to pass also. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

mike65 wrote:
    Suprised at that, given his first team chances are few enough this season but if he willing to stay on, great. He can teach Momo how to be a mean efficent tackling machine!

Mike.

Teach him? He already is!

But Didi knows how to not get booked everytime! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Teach him? He already is!
    I'd hardly call an eight-legged tackle efficient ;)

he could do with a few passing tips too - the potential is there though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

mike65 wrote:
    Suprised at that, given his first team chances are few enough this season...

Mike.

What? Surprised? C'mon. If u know anything its that he is an integral part of the squad. Rafa has played him 17 times this season. Hardly surprising they offered him a contract extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I love Didis developing scouse accent combined with his tick. Looks like hes trying to sell me something (hub caps..no doubt) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

SofaKing wrote:
    Good news. Didi Hamann is about to sign a 12 month extension.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4551732.stm
    Along with Sami, I think Didi was the best bit of buying business that GH did. I balked at the time when he paid about £8m for him, but he has been worth twice that. He is just impossible to get the ball off.

Momo has the legs where Didi doesn't, but I just love watching Didi play as he is an out an out professional and loves the club.

its being reported in AS that we have agreed a loan deal for Galletti until the end of the season. Good stuff. Argentine international. right winger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Costa Rican set for Anfield trial

Costa Rica winger Christian Bolanos is reported to have secured a trial at Liverpool in January.

Bolanos plays on the right-hand side for Costa Rican side Saprissa and is set to represent his country in the World Cup next summer.

His club manager Jeaustin Campos said the player impressed Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez during this month's World Club Championship in Japan.

Liverpool defeated Saprissa 3-0 in the semi-final but Bolanos stood out.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4563198.stm

Can't at all remember how he played in that game :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

heard today that rafa is looking to swap josemi for villareals right back, some dutch international. anyone heard more on this??

yeah been posted on a few sites. A strong rumour that a bid for agger has been accepted. I've a funny feeling that a certain london centre half with a royal title will be joining in the new year. hope its true.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

rondeco wrote:
    yeah been posted on a few sites. A strong rumour that a bid for agger has been accepted. I've a funny feeling that a certain london centre half with a royal title will be joining in the new year. hope its true.....
    For the prices being quoted, the money could be spent a lot better.

Very overpriced IMO.

If Spurs are going to part with Ledley King then it'll be for silly money anyways they need him if they want to beat Arsenal to 4th place! :D

Mike.

VinnyL wrote:
    heard today that rafa is looking to swap josemi for villareals right back, some dutch international. anyone heard more on this??

sky have confirmed this. his name is kromkramp or something.

• Advertisement

Dutch international Jan Kromkamp is set to join Liverpool from Villareal in an exchange deal which will see right-back Josemi move in the opposite direction.

The 25-year-old Dutchman, who can play in midfield or defence, will tie up the deal if he agrees personal terms.

Villareal said in a statement: "We have reached an agreement with Liverpool for the transfer of Jan Kromkamp and the arrival of Josemi.

"The agreement is between the clubs and must be agreed by both players."

Villarreal have not announced whether the deal will be a straight swap or whether a fee will also be involved.

Rafael Benitez made Josemi, 26, his first signing as Liverpool boss in July 2004, buying him from Malaga for £2m.

But the Spanish player has struggled to break into the first team after a series of injuries.

Kromkamp is also not a regular at Villareal and has only made six appearances for the senior side this season.

The former AZ Alkmaar player made his international debut against Sweden in August 2004 and has since won eight caps under coach Marco van Basten.

If Van Basten rates him then he must have something?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Im not convinced...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Getting rid of Joe Semi is always good business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The suspected switch of Kromkamp for Josemi is an interesting one from a number of angles.

Josemi was the 1st purchase by Benitez, and like the Pellegrino "experiment", if Josemi is shown the door its a sign that Benitez is not afraid to change things even for one of his "favourite sons". Josemi has not done too bad - he was clearly given a chance but failed to deliver to the same extent that Finnan can. Finnan did well and fought for his place after being dropped.

Benitez played Josemi a couple of times at CB but is being used this year as a fill-in player for RB. And, he does a good enough job at that. So, getting rid of him should only be done if a quality player can come in to fill a position in the optimum 23-man squad.

Kromkamp is a useful player. Its only his 1st season in Spain at Villareal after several succesful seasons at AZ Alkmaar but he hasnt settled in his new side with only a handful of apperances, perhaps being more suited to the English league. He can play as right back but also as CB which is where perhaps Rafa sees him as providing cover for Hyypia and Carra should an injury occur. He is aged 25 and has 8 international for Holland, so is useful:

http://www.vi.nl/vi/show/id=40053/dbid=12719/typeofpage=40054/sc=df044f
    http://www.voetbalstats.nl/nedxi/sp662.html

He can also play midfield so is a utility type of player so if he comes, it will be interesting to see where Benitez will want to play him.

It sounds overall like a positive move, as we know what Josemi can do, and Kromkamp has the potential to add a lot more.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I pretty much agree with that synopsis Redspider. A player that can perform a number of roles is a useful one in any team/squad.

I don't think Josemi has been an incredible failure but he is never going to be much more than a squad player at this stage. Kromkamp is the type of player that while he never cement his own place in the side he could still play 40-50 games a year in a number of roles (á la Phil Neville at United in his last few seasons) and be a very important part of the side.

• Advertisement

Rafa made a comment about language problems - Josemi and his Englerlish while every Dutchman can speak the lingo but not Spanish apparently!

Mike.

This is getting silly

from www.walkonlfc.com
    Benitez's insistence that he does not want to sell Cisse was supported by the player himself in response to reported claims from his brother and former agent, Hamed, suggesting a deal with Marseille had almost been finalised.

Cisse said in a Sky Sports interview: "I'm really disappointed with my brother. I just want to make myself clear. I am in Liverpool and I'm going to stay in Liverpool.

"I don't want to leave after two seasons. I don't know why I'm going to leave. The Liverpool fans are amazing, the club is amazing. We have a good team, a good manager and everything is okay.

"I'm fed up with this speculation. It's always Marseille, and it starts to be boring. Like I said, I'm really disappointed with my brother."

What is it with footballers brothers?

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looks like its full steam ahead for this one.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/12/30/story237377.html

Newspaper reports today claim that Liverpool have agreed a transfer fee with Brondby for Danish centre back Daniel Agger.

It is reported that the fee has been set at £5.5million which is the figure that's been doing the rounds for some time now so no surprises there if the reports are accurate.

Meanwhile Josemi has revealed that Jose Reina encouraged him to sign for Villarreal in a deal that see Jan Kromkamp come the other way.

Josemi said: "Villarreal are one of the great clubs of Spain. I come here because I believe that this team does not have limits.

"There is a great establishment of players, many internationals, and that is what, in the end, has made my decision.

"Pepe said to me that I must come here. He has spoken wonders to me and he has done a lot because I'm now here. I hope that everything he told me becomes reality."

from koptalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

so have we signed kromkamp yet or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

p.pete wrote:
    so have we signed kromkamp yet or not?
    Expected to go through today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Josemi has left and Kromkamp has agreed terms
    Josemi has completed his transfer from Liverpool to Villarreal - in a swap deal which will see Jan Kromkamp move to Anfield from the Spanish club.

Kromkamp has agreed terms with the Reds and should complete his move on Tuesday, but Josemi has been able to wrap his transfer up already.

Speaking at a news conference in Spain, Josemi, 26, said: "Myself and my family are really happy to be returning.

"I'm thankful to Villarreal for giving me this chance."

Josemi was Rafael Benitez's first signing for Liverpool, in 2004 from Malaga, but he has struggled to adapt to English football and this season has made just six Premiership appearances.

Now he says he is joining "one of the biggest clubs in Europe" and appears happy to be quitting Anfield.

"I wasn't given all the chances I had hoped I would get at Liverpool. Now I want to recover the sort of form I showed when I played at Malaga."

Villarreal are in fourth place in the Primera Liga and have qualified for the last 16 of the Champions League where they will play Rangers.

Josemi, who has signed a four and a half-year deal there, cannot play in that game as he has featured already for Liverpool in the Champions League this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

From Football365
    AGGER WILL DO FOR LIVERPOOL
    Danish defender Daniel Agger will complete a £5.5m move from Brondby to Liverpool in the next few days, according to The Times. He will be joined by Jan Kromkamp, the Villarreal full-back who will arrive in a swap deal with Josemi. Portuguese defender Zé Castro also claims he will join the Reds in the summer from Académica de Coimbra.

any news on gonzalez? and the other winger we are supposed to be getting on loan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Odd noone posted about 17 year old Michael Collins Jr from Clondalkin who signed a 3 year deal starting in june. Guess not being Spanish makes him an outcast already :D

Meant to be a decent prospect.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Any news on Potter getting out? heard something or seen something ages ago someone was looking to loan/buy him. At this stage he should get out and get some first team footie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I think potter is going to sign for hearts that's what I heard over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

IIRC he signed for us before christmas but is staying with albacete(think thats his club) untill the end of the season on loan, at which stage he will obtain a spanish passport, so he wont need a work permit to play for Lfc.

of course I could be completely wrong on this but I think I remember reading it

Robert has gone to Benefica.

Perhaps paving a way for Simao's move to Liverpool ???

Not madly impressed with any of the signings thus far...hope he surprises me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Big Nelly wrote:
    Any news on Potter getting out? heard something or seen something ages ago someone was looking to loan/buy him. At this stage he should get out and get some first team footie.

I think he is injured at the moment, so will probably be the summer before anything happens! That is if it is going to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Call_me_al wrote:
    From Football365

any news on gonzalez? and the other winger we are supposed to be getting on loan?

http://home.skysports.com/transfernews.asp?type=article&id=350152

Tusky wrote:
    Not madly impressed with any of the signings thus far...hope he surprises me.
    seemed to be the general opinion during the summer for crouchino and the youngsters we got. We should know by now that rafa is all knowing and almighty. His signings shall not fail...(guaranteed to fail now:D )

I'm quite happy with the signings so far. Josemi hasn't worked in my mind and getting rid is a good piece of business. And of course with him gone then we'll need a replacement so I'm happy to gamble that Kromkamp will be better (but hopefully not too much competition for Finnan).

Sounds like we're pretty close to getting a young centre back, Agger. Can't say I know much about him but at 21 he'll not be expecting to rob Hyypia's place which I think most fans will be happy with at this stage in the season, so one for the future and hopefully adequate backup should he be required to step in sooner rather then later.

There doesn't seem to be anyone concrete for right midfield yet but hopefully that's where we'll be impressed when we do manage to find someone. Without spending 15mil per player it's hard to actually improve a squad at this level but so far I'm positive about the transfer movement.

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    I'm quite happy with the signings so far. Josemi hasn't worked in my mind and getting rid is a good piece of business. And of course with him gone then we'll need a replacement so I'm happy to gamble that Kromkamp will be better (but hopefully not too much competition for Finnan).

Sounds like we're pretty close to getting a young centre back, Agger. Can't say I know much about him but at 21 he'll not be expecting to rob Hyypia's place which I think most fans will be happy with at this stage in the season, so one for the future and hopefully adequate backup should he be required to step in sooner rather then later.

There doesn't seem to be anyone concrete for right midfield yet but hopefully that's where we'll be impressed when we do manage to find someone. Without spending 15mil per player it's hard to actually improve a squad at this level but so far I'm positive about the transfer movement.

Yeah, I guess so, I was expecing a big name transfer though.

Ah, there it is. That didn't take long.
    The arrival of Robert at Estadio Luz could pave the way for Simao Sabrosa's mooted move to The Premiership with both Manchester United and Liverpool thought to be monitoring the wide man.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=350204&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=4161&title=Robert+seals+Eagles+switch&channel=skysports_home_page

And:
    Reports in Portugal suggest that Manchester United could beat Liverpool to the signature of Benfica winger Simao Sabrosa.

The newspaper O Jogo claims that the Portuguese international's exit from the Estadio da Luz is imminent, with England being the destination.

Simao almost went to Liverpool in the summer and clubcall understands that a potential deal to take him to Anfield has always been in the offing.
    http://www.clubcall.com/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,5034-143501-19728-36243-221699-13464-5024-layout104-160717-news-item,00.html

While the Josemi signing didn't really work out, it was important for Finnan to have competition, think back so when Joesemi signed.

Finnan had a medicore first season with the reds, and Rafa took in Josemi who had a good season in La Liga, for little money as well.

Past 12 months have been about building squad depth.

In rafa we trust, so far his signings have been good, a much better success rate than most managers.

Good
    Xabi Alonso ~10mil
    Peter Crouch ~7mil
    Nando Morientes ~6mil
    Momo Sissoko ~ 6mil
    Luis Garcia ~6mil
    Pepe Reina ~not sure
    Zenden ~free

Bad
    Pellegrino - Free
    Nunez - P/X
    Josemi - 2mil

Not to mention the host of young players brought into the reserve squad

I would class Morientes as bad, and Nunez as Very Bad seen as he was part exchange (+8mil or so) for Owen.

SofaKing wrote:
    I would class Morientes as bad, and Nunez as Very Bad seen as he was part exchange (+8mil or so) for Owen.
    The whole Owen thing was bad but we were backed into a position where we had to get rid of him, it's 8 mil more then we would have lost him for eventually.

Nunez was crap, now he's gone. Josemi not great and now he's gone. Benitez seems pretty good at clearing up mistakes, every manager makes them but it's nice to see that he realises when things don't work.

I'm not sure on Morientes yet, still waiting. He could be another Diego Forlan, he'll leave the English game and flourish but hopefully he doesn't have to leave to do that. He seems commited to the cause which is a start and I've heard he has talent. Scored his first goal into the Kop recently too :)

Owen had a year on his contract, Rafa came in and not wanting another McManaman scenario, was let go for a measily 8million with Nunez as well.

From Rafa's pov, any extra player was good, considering how poor we were on the right, an extra player in a weak squad is all good, and a player coming from Real, how crap could he be ;)

Anyway, I'd rather have Crouch than Owen right now. The reds team ethic and work rate is the best I've ever seen in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

zabbo wrote:
    Owen had a year on his contract, Rafa came in and not wanting another McManaman scenario, was let go for a measily 8million with Nunez as well.

From Rafa's pov, any extra player was good, considering how poor we were on the right, an extra player in a weak squad is all good, and a player coming from Real, how crap could he be ;)

Anyway, I'd rather have Crouch than Owen right now. The reds team ethic and work rate is the best I've ever seen in the last few years.
    So would I, considering owen has a broken foot

zabbo wrote:

Good
    Xabi Alonso ~10mil
    Peter Crouch ~7mil
    Nando Morientes ~6mil
    Momo Sissoko ~ 6mil
    Luis Garcia ~6mil
    Pepe Reina ~not sure
    Zenden ~free

Morientes wasnt a great transfer tbh. At the time, I thought he was a fantastic buy but he hasnt done too much since he came from the club. Rafa has done an amazing ammount for the club but I dont think he FULLY capitalised in the transfer market after their win in Europe last year.

'Liverpool have completed the signing of Dutch full-back Jan Kromkamp from La Liga outfit Villarreal.
    Kromkamp becomes manager Rafael Benitez's first signing during this transfer window in a deal which has seen Josemi move in the opposite direction.

The 25 year old right sided defender has successfully passed a medical and completed the formalities of his move from Spain.'

from the club site

"Liverpool - Huge double striker link
    03 Jan 2006 12:55

Liverpool have been linked with an amazing double swoop for Barcelona striker Henrik Larsson and Spurs forward Jermain Defoe.

Rafael Benitez is in the hunt for a forward with Djibril Cisse continually linked with a move away from Anfield.

Reports have suggested Defoe is becoming frustrated at the lack of first team opportunities at White Hart Lane and could be a target for the Reds.

Meanwhile Henrik Larsson has been linked with a loan switch to Liverpool.

The 34-year-old former Celtic striker is out of contract in the summer and is not getting regular football which has prompted talk of a possible move to England."

A good deal to get Dutch International Kromkamp, who only joined a few months ago, but did play most of Villareal's Champs League games. So he's cup tied.

Agger seems are more solid purchase, especially 5.5m for a Danish National league player, My two Danish friends, say he's good, and I guess Rafa's buying 5.5 worth of potential. Agger won the Young player of the year twice, in 2004 and last month for 2005. Also is a full international and played a part in the 4-1 mauling of England a few months back.

He's just coming back from Injury as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement