Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Please please can we get rid of f-ing Troare ???? I dont care that hes not as sh*t as he was but hes still sh*t and will cost us in the long run. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

woodyg wrote:
    any 1 know how florent pongolle is getting on with his injury?
    i think he could be a real talent given the chance he showed real promise at times last year and if not for his injury he would have been a real help in the leauge and euro's.
    His return will be like signin a new player

He looks like hes going to be fantastic,
    check all injury news here ::
    http://www.physioroom.com/news/table_current.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

i cant see mellor stayin to be honest if it wasnt for his injury he would be a sheffield utd player now.

he has ability but for some reason just looks a yard (pace wise) short not sure why but it is noticeable.
    And he doesnt seem to be able to compensate the way sheringham does by havin that extra yard in thought.

thats a really useful site never miss any injury news now cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

woodyg wrote:
    i cant see mellor stayin to be honest if it wasnt for his injury he would be a sheffield utd player now.

he has ability but for some reason just looks a yard (pace wise) short not sure why but it is noticeable.
    And he doesnt seem to be able to compensate the way sheringham does by havin that extra yard in thought.

thats a really useful site never miss any injury news now cheers
    I think all Mellor needs is a run in the first team and to stay injury free...
    Him & Pong are good for the future....Mor can do a lot to bring Mellor on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lex Luthor wrote:
    don't forget about Mellor

Didn't include him as not sure if he'll still actually be there next season and couldn't see him being in too many squads barring injury to one of the others. He is 5th in line after all...

Any idea's what story is with Le Tallec? Looks like he could be good but needs more experience. Maybe another loan deal? Not sure how much first team football he'd get at pool. Himself and Pongolle could really be great in the future, i find they link very well together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

afaik Le Tellac was offered as part of a deal to bring Kuyt to Anfield.

Also Mellor has been told to find a club.

all of the above is subject to Bannor verification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Liverpool should sign Duff from Chelsea. He is a good left-sided player. He was with Blackburn before he signed for Chelsea. Only negative is that he is prone to injury of late.
    Never heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

el rabitos wrote:
    i'm starting to wonder if rafa is allowing the deadline for the 1st round of champions league to have a bearing on his transfers. theres less than 10 days before the deadline, with a fair few signings actaully needed, i would have thought there would be some more concrete rumblings going on in regards to incoming transfers

I cant see why he would factor it in, if Liverpool got knocked out in the first or sencond round with the players that are already there, then there would be serious problems.
    woodyg wrote:

If you watch the few games he played last season, his work in the build up was very good as well as getting a few goals. He klnew what he was doing laying the ball down for Gerrard V Oylmpiakos. His vision is good and passing the same. I reckon a good run and he will show quality.

By the way, seeing as Michael Owen was in the original Champions League squad for the 3rd round Qualifier, did he get a medal or was someone else named in his place after he left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Stekelly wrote:
    I cant see why he would factor it in, if Liverpool got knocked out in the first or sencond round with the players that are already there, then there would be serious problems.

If you watch the few games he played last season, his work in the build up was very good as well as getting a few goals. He klnew what he was doing laying the ball down for Gerrard V Oylmpiakos. His vision is good and passing the same. I reckon a good run and he will show quality.

By the way, seeing as Michael Owen was in the original Champions League squad for the 3rd round Qualifier, did he get a medal or was someone else named in his place after he left?

no i know he didnt get a medal thats for definite, dont know if someone got his place or what though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

uberwolf wrote:
    afaik Le Tellac was offered as part of a deal to bring Kuyt to Anfield.

Also Mellor has been told to find a club.

all of the above is subject to Bannor verification
    Anthony Le Tallec could well have played his last game for Liverpool. Last summer he was demanding first team football so he was given the opportunity to go on loan. Rather than take up the option of joining a Premiership club for the season (there were a few clubs interested in a loan deal - Norwich, Villa and West Brom if I remember correctly) he chose to return to France with St. Etienne instead. While there he managed to piss off the staff with his attitude and injured his ankle while arsing around in training. The decision was made to bring him back in the transfer window and he was told if he kept his head down and put the effort in then he would earn a place in the team. All went well until the away match against Juve - Le Tallec was brought on for the last five minutes or so of the game. After the game he had a go at Benitez because he thought he deserved more time on the pitch and said he would have scored if he had started the game. Rafa said it was unlikely that a player that had played in almost thirty games for the club and had only managed a single goal would have scored against the best defence in Italy and when the player showed that he could do it against the smaller teams he would be given the opportunity to do so in the bigger games. His little tantrum cost him his place in the squad for the next couple of games, he was recalled to the starting line-up for the Palace game and Rafa told him he now had an opportunity to show what he could do. The game was a no show on the part of Le Tallec and he wasn't seen in action since. There's no doubting the player has talent it's his attitude is the problem - Benitez won't be as patient with him as Houllier would have been. He was offered as part of the Kuyt transfer but I don't think they were interested in him.

Neil Mellor would more than likely be a Sheffield United player but for his injury. He's not expected to return to training until late August/September so it's unlikely that he'll be leaving in the summer.

• Advertisement

woodyg wrote:
    any 1 know how florent pongolle is getting on with his injury?
    He had surgery back in February and is expected to be back in training in August - a month or two ahead of schedule.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    I've been thinking and im not sure there really is a need for a new striker, i mean the way it looks now Baros is staying.
    Baros is only staying because he isn't being offered a wage comparable to that which he's now on. The threat of reserve team football at Liverpool for the forth coming season might be the deal clincher for a move to Lyon. :)

Bannor wrote:
    Anthony Le Tallec could well have played his last game for Liverpool. Last summer he was demanding first team football so he was given the opportunity to go on loan. Rather than take up the option of joining a Premiership club for the season (there were a few clubs interested in a loan deal - Norwich, Villa and West Brom if I remember correctly) he chose to return to France with St. Etienne instead. While there he managed to piss off the staff with his attitude and injured his ankle while arsing around in training. The decision was made to bring him back in the transfer window and he was told if he kept his head down and put the effort in then he would earn a place in the team. All went well until the away match against Juve - Le Tallec was brought on for the last five minutes or so of the game. After the game he had a go at Benitez because he thought he deserved more time on the pitch and said he would have scored if he had started the game. Rafa said it was unlikely that a player that had played in almost thirty games for the club and had only managed a single goal would have scored against the best defence in Italy and when the player showed that he could do it against the smaller teams he would be given the opportunity to do so in the bigger games. His little tantrum cost him his place in the squad for the next couple of games, he was recalled to the starting line-up for the Palace game and Rafa told him he now had an opportunity to show what he could do. The game was a no show on the part of Le Tallec and he wasn't seen in action since. There's no doubting the player has talent it's his attitude is the problem - Benitez won't be as patient with him as Houllier would have been. He was offered as part of the Kuyt transfer but I don't think they were interested in him.

He seems to be suffering the same ailment that turned Anelka from a brilliant player with a career of playing for the best teams in europe and ending up with a sackfull of medals into one that no one wants and is playing sencond rate football in turkey: himself. These prima donas are in football to take what they can money wise. They ave no loyalty or will to actually do their job well. Theres a serious lack of pride in your job with some players these days. It must be terrible for players like Carra, Roy Keane etc who break their bollocks for years to have these people turning up to collect their wages every week and demand this and that for no return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Its easy to be loyal when you are getting 100k sterling a week. If Real Mardid offered Carragher the same his loyalty might also be questioned. But thats professional sport for you.

Its easy to be loyal when you are getting 100k sterling a week. If Real Mardid offered Carragher the same his loyalty might also be questioned. But thats professional sport for you.

Yes but he would put 100% into playing for MAdrid while he was there. There are a lot of players around now that want the 100k and to continue doing feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Baros is only staying because he isn't being offered a wage comparable to that which he's now on. The threat of reserve team football at Liverpool for the forth coming season might be the deal clincher for a move to Lyon.

maybe chelsea can afford to pay players 40k to sit on the bench and play reserve football, but i dont liverpool can.

i dont think its in liverpools best interests to have baros being unhappy in the squad and just picking up a pay check untill next year when he can de-value. either light a fire under his ass and sell him this summer or else rafa and his staff help him to improve his game, he's young, has great pace and has been pretty much injury free so far in his career.

so if the staff there dont plan on helping him improve, dont think he has the potential or ability to improve, then sell him.

personally i think we've not seen anywhere near the best of baros, and i'd like to see him stay unless we get an offer of about 10mill. or an exchange for either aimar/vincente/joaquin would also be more than welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Its easy to be loyal when you are getting 100k sterling a week. If Real Mardid offered Carragher the same his loyalty might also be questioned.
    He'd reject it, I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

he would you know, i remember during the season a journalist asked him would he ever move to a bigger club, carra looked at him all wild eyed and confused and then said, " but who is bigger than liverpool"

Hes a die hard red :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

(just lost a long post I was writing on the strikers!)

Le Tallec: should go, but he is still young
    Mellor: also young, 23 in Nov, so keep in reserve/youth squad
    Pongolle: best of the up and coming bunch, has pace, put him in 1st team

Cisse (24 soon)/Morientes (29) are favoured by Benitez. Baros could also be a 3rd option. I would have liked him and Cisse to develop a partnership but that didnt happen. Baros can be good when he plays off another striker, but perhaps Baros and Cisse are too similar in some ways, although clearly two different types of finishers.

The front-line is also affected by the role of Garcia (the favoured son) who plays the attacking midfielder role, and Benitez likes that.

I think Benitez will have to bring in a better striker than Baros if he sells him, and getting them is not so easy.

Redspider

el rabitos wrote:
    maybe chelsea can afford to pay players 40k to sit on the bench and play reserve football, but i dont liverpool can.

i dont think its in liverpools best interests to have baros being unhappy in the squad and just picking up a pay check untill next year when he can de-value. either light a fire under his ass and sell him this summer or else rafa and his staff help him to improve his game, he's young, has great pace and has been pretty much injury free so far in his career.

so if the staff there dont plan on helping him improve, dont think he has the potential or ability to improve, then sell him.

personally i think we've not seen anywhere near the best of baros, and i'd like to see him stay unless we get an offer of about 10mill. or an exchange for either aimar/vincente/joaquin would also be more than welcome :)

Quite agree with this. Think he will be a great player with another little bit of development. Got bundles of natural talent, just needs to learn to look up and spot a pass. Could easily get 15, 20 goals a season and generally runs his ass off on the pitch, fighting for everything he can. think with a good partner up front we'd see the best of him as would receive the ball closer to goal and also have more space as there would be two forwards to mark. Think between him cisse and morientes have a good range of styles who could each compliment each other (moro probably moreso with each of the other two). Cisse and baros could get an understanding going if baros can just learn to look up and spot runs.

• Advertisement

the unfortunate thing about the developement needed to improve Baros is that the modern game does not allow for a development program greater than 1 season. if a player does not show much improvement in his first season and a half he is not given the chance to further develop especially at the top clubs.

so unfortunately imo we need a finished article up front the time to develop him has passed and a replacement is being actively looked for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Stekelly wrote:
    Yes but he would put 100% into playing for MAdrid while he was there. There are a lot of players around now that want the 100k and to continue doing feck all.

Agreed

el rabitos wrote:
    In recent times Liverpool has always been one of the highest paying clubs in England. Robbie Fowler, Jamie Redknapp, Patrick Berger, Markus Babbel, Vladimir Smicer, Bruno Cheyrou, Salif Diao, El Hadj Diouf and Harry Kewell have been amongst the highest paid players at the club in recent years, picking up pay cheques while not playing for one reason or another. Baros isn't earning £40k a week, it'll come as a surprise that Alonso and Garcia aren't even on that kind of money. Liverpool can afford to leave Baros in the reserves for a season the thing is can Baros afford it? There's a World Cup coming next summer.

In a related matter... Mr. Parry has been visiting Holland this week. He dined with the chairman of Feyenoord and he also met with Dirk Kuyt and his agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Bannor wrote:

In a related matter... Mr. Parry has been visiting Holland this week. He dined with the chairman of Feyenoord and he also met with Dirk Kuyt and his agent.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

I really like the sound of Kuyt, his workrate is suposed to be phenomenal and he can play as a striker, alt striker or on the right wing (where he plays regularly for Holland). He supposedly has decent pace and finishing- however I can't vouch for any of this as I haven't seen him play :o Pricetag being bandied about is €10-15 but LFC are looking to pay less than that with a possible player swap thrown in.
    Most of this is from a thread on RAWK so take it with a pinch of salt I s'pose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Bannor wrote:

Watch him play for the Dutch against Romania in there qualifying game a few weeks when I was in Spain....looked usefull.....good big strong forward who can hold the ball up well....would suit english game!!

good to see the kuyt deal is moving along. he looks to be the finished article all ready.

i hear Andy Van Der Meyde is available on a free transfer good quality right winger for nothing hmmm sound like a real good bit of business if we went for him.

we do need quality down the right to help finnan out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

Liverpool and Arsenal in for Milan star?
    By European Football - June 21 2005

According to the Italian press Liverpool and Arsenal are bot interested in bringing ex Newcastle United striker Jon Dahl Tomasson, to their respective clubs.

Although Tomasson was hardly a roaring success last time he was in the Premiership, he is a player that has blossomed in his time away from England, and now feels he could do a job here and prove the doubters wrong.

Milan are believed to want around €10 million for the player, who Milan will allow to leave should they finalise Hernan Crespo’s move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Rafa says keeper deal is close

From Liverpoolfc.tv

"Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has said a deal to sign a new goalkeeper is near to completion and is believed to be Jose Reina from Villarreal, according to Spanish news agency Efe.
    Reina has been heavily linked with a summer move to Anfield and has been quoted as saying it would be a dream move. Arsenal have also been linked with Reina.

Liverpool have yet to confirm anything about a move for the player but Benitez is quoted as saying: "There are various keepers we have been following. Reina is one of them. We are near but it's still to be confirmed."

The Liverpool manager has until July 6 to sign players who are eligible to take part in the first qualifying round of the Champions League. The draw for the first and second qualifying rounds take place on Friday morning."

• Advertisement

yom 1 wrote:
    Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has said a deal to sign a new goalkeeper is near to completion and is believed to be Jose Reina from Villarreal, according to Spanish news agency Efe.

Reina might be seen as a reasonably safe keeper, I havent seen enough of him to know. But I'm still of the opinion that the GK position is not the area with the highest need at the moment. We could easily get by next season without Reina, unless Kirkland's injury is a permanent/recurrent one. The money and salary spent there would be better spent elsewhere.

In terms of the striker problem, Liverpool's top goalscorer in the league last season was Baros, with a mere 9. Wow, just 9 goals. Man U had a similar problem up front, and their tope scorer was Rooney. Meanwhile Arsenal jad Henry on 25, the top scorer, and Pires with 14th, in 3rd place.

Morientes only scored 3 in the league from 12 starts. He had 20 attempts at goal with only 12 on target.

Baros scored 9 from 22 starts. He had 40 attempts at goal and 22 on target.

Cisse scored 4 from 10 starts. He had 35 attempts at goal with 24 on target.

From those stats it looks as if Cisse could be the most prolific, especially if he gets his shooting aim setup better and starts hitting the corner of the net rather than too straight on the keeper, less power if necessary.

Luis Garcia, to use his proper surname, scored 8 from 26 starts. He had 71 attempts at goal with 36 on target. All in all that is quite a good return, 8 goals, but a low return on the number of attempts.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

redspider wrote:

Luis Garcia, to use his proper surname, scored 8 from 26 starts. He had 71 attempts at goal with 36 on target. All in all that is quite a good return, 8 goals, but a low return on the number of attempts.

Redspider

Yes but what quality and well needed goals they were from King Luis.
    I reckon your right about Cisse, hes likely to tear the lesser Prem teams apart with his pace, and hes being doing it at international level so hopefully he shows the same form. Moro looked very unfit last year, once he gets sharp i think him and Cisse will have an ideal partnership, with Cisse doing all the running for him.

As for Baros i think hes a headless chicken, sometimes he just runs over to the corner for no reason when all he had to do is pass the ball, but if Kuyt comes i think we'll have enough firepower something we seriously lacked last season.

I just can't wait till the first game, bring on the Boro!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

In recent times Liverpool has always been one of the highest paying clubs in England. Robbie Fowler, Jamie Redknapp, Patrick Berger, Markus Babbel, Vladimir Smicer, Bruno Cheyrou, Salif Diao, El Hadj Diouf and Harry Kewell have been amongst the highest paid players at the club in recent years, picking up pay cheques while not playing for one reason or another. Baros isn't earning £40k a week, it'll come as a surprise that Alonso and Garcia aren't even on that kind of money. Liverpool can afford to leave Baros in the reserves for a season the thing is can Baros afford it? There's a World Cup coming next summer.

i didnt just mean in regards to his wages. at the moment liverpool could be looking to command a fee of between 5 - 10 million for baros, or else use him as part of a major swap deal.

does anyone think if he's left sitting on the bench for the coming season that his value is going to go up? he's either got to go now or be used properly in the coming season.
    Reina might be seen as a reasonably safe keeper, I havent seen enough of him to know. But I'm still of the opinion that the GK position is not the area with the highest need at the moment. We could easily get by next season without Reina, unless Kirkland's injury is a permanent/recurrent one. The money and salary spent there would be better spent elsewhere.

i'd agree with this for the most part. with a limited amout of transfer funds, i dont think its in our interests to have 4 keepers, even if kirkland is loaned out. carson and dudek would do fine for another year, i'm not a fan of dudek at all and i would like to see reina at liverpool, but i think 8 million would be best spent elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

el rabitos wrote:

does anyone think if he's left sitting on the bench for the coming season that his value is going to go up? he's either got to go now or be used properly in the coming season.

i'd agree with this for the most part. with a limited amout of transfer funds, i dont think its in our interests to have 4 keepers, even if kirkland is loaned out. carson and dudek would do fine for another year, i'm not a fan of dudek at all and i would like to see reina at liverpool, but i think 8 million would be best spent elsewhere.

Baros' contract is finished next year afaik. So let him have his fun in the resverses, especially if we sign kuyt.

Lads its not like we cant afford the 8 million. Hes available now, so get him. Next season he might decide to stay of go else where. As i have said, dudek isnt a good enough keeper to be on a premiership winning team.

I really dont rate kirkland highly either, hopefully the loan move will do him good. Carson is decent back up, nothing more.

There looks as if there is some movement for Kuyt, according to this:

+
    Reports eminating from Holland suggest that Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuijt is on his way to Liverpool. Feyenoord have apparently resigned themselves to losing 29 goal man Kuijt, who is top of Rafa Benitez's wanted list.

Liverpool Chief Executive Rick Parry is said to have started negotiations with Feyenoord. Earlier in the week the Liverpool Echo also reported that Parry had flown to Holland to thrash out a deal for the player.

The Dutch club value the 24-year old at 15 million euros, although Liverpool would prefer a player and cash (10 million) deal possibly involving Jerzy Dudek and Anthony Le Tallec.

Feyenoord finished 25 points behind champions PSV Eindhoven last season, and without the windfall of Champions League football, they will be forced to sell their prize asset this summer.

Liverpool also haven't given up hope of signing Southampton striker Peter Crouch. The player would jump at the chance of a move to Anfield but the stumbling block is believed to be the 7 million fee the Saints want for the England striker.
    +

15m eur is about 9m ukp. Kuyt was good in the Dutch league last year, and his style may do ok in England, but 15m eur is quite a bit all the same. If say Baros is sold for 10m eur, is Kuyt worth 5m more and would he do better on the pitch than Baros? Also consider that Kuyt will likely be on a higher salary than Baros is. Baros did some notable things during the season, scored the most goals in the league, was a key part of the CL goal against Chelsea, played good in the CL final and produced more or less an assist for the penalty goal with his back footed pass, although like many (all?) I agree that many times he ran into cul-de-sacs and when playing up front didnt use the ball/pass it effectively. But his Czech Republic form can be amazing and he has some brilliant finishes, so maybe the best is to come if he gets a good run?

If we presume that Le Tallec is valued say at 1m (if that!), then Dudek is being valued at 4m. The question then is whether Reina is worth 4m more than Dudek, and also we probably have to think about salaries as Dudek's is probably lower than what Reina would be seeking.

choices/decisions ....

It looks like Benitez is going to go for Kuyt, sell Baros to Lyon, buy Reina and sell Dudek if he can.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

if liverpool start making decisions over which players to sign cos of the the salary they are on we will never win the league. Thats what a club near recievership should be worried about.

Baros has scored since leverkusan isnt it? thats shocking. His attitude problem doesnt help matters either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

if liverpool start making decisions over which players to sign cos of the the salary they are on we will never win the league. Thats what a club near recievership should be worried about.

Baros has scored since leverkusan isnt it? thats shocking. His attitude problem doesnt help matters either.

Agreed. With regards to Baros - he really can piss me off sometimes with the aforementioned 'headless chicken routine', but I do believe that he has real potential and under the right guidance he could really flourish in the next couple of years. His attitude, however, is his biggest problem and he needs to sort it out a.s.a.p. :mad:

redspider wrote:
    The question then is whether Reina is worth 4m more than Dudek, and also we probably have to think about salaries as Dudek's is probably lower than what Reina would be seeking.
    By Premiership standards, Reina isn't on a high salary at Villareal (less than £10k a week). His salary will probably be doubled/trebled at Liverpool. Dudek is one of the highest paid players in the Liverpool squad. His salary more than doubled after the treble season due to performance clauses in his contract - winning the European Cup will possibly have bumped it up further.

In Spain only the star players are on ridiculously high wages - as an example, Luis Garcia was on €9k (£6k) a week at Barcelona. After Ronaldinho he was the most influential attacking player yet he was earning peanuts by comparison to other players such as Kluivert and Ronaldinho. His move to Liverpool trebled his wages (£18k). Xabi Alonso was earning €7k (~£4.5k) a week at Real Sociedad, he's earning about £20k a week at Liverpool.

As I have said before there is value for money to be had on the continent in terms of the quality of player on offer and the cheap cost relative to the English based players.

Well lets start getting realistic here. For the pool to sign the top players were going to have to pay a little over the top in wages which is acceptable.

Kuyt is a fine player who i believe would adapt quite easily to the prem. He's strong quick agile good vision and most importantly his touch is top notch. (unlike Baros :rolleyes: ).

I see we have another €3 to spend after the sale of Diarra yesterday so the Reina deal looks more likely now. :)

i make it a rough estimate of €32 to €35 million in the transfer kitty.

I think it might be in the pools best interest to of load Baros specially since his contract is up next season (redspider is this correct?).
    6 to 8 million for him would be acceptable.

Alou Diarra permanently transferred to Lens for €3million. kinda pissed at this, really wanted him back to give it a go at pool, seems a great young player. very little money as well. suppose was up to the player at the end of the day..
    source; http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=287167&cpid=8&CLID=14&lid=&title=Lens+seal+Diarra+deal&channel=premiership

*Edit* Oops didn't see you had mentioned it already above woody!

On another note, is there any way we could afford to loan baros out for 1 year? If theres more then that left on his contract that is. if nothing else it would probably raise his value, and could provide us with a more developed Baros. Its very hard to say he's useless and throw him on the scrap heap because of the things we've seen him do for the Czechs and sometimes (if nowhere near as often) for liverpool..

From Sky Sports

"Liverpool have made a swoop for Spanish teenager Antonio Barragan from Sevilla.

The 18-year-old has been in Sevilla's youth set-up and the Spanish side were desperate to sign him on a professional contract.

Rafa Benitez has been monitoring Barragan's displays at youth level and the youngster decided not to accept the deal on offer in Sevilla in order to join the European champions.

Sevilla are not happy at losing the Spain Under-18 international, and will be looking for a decent amount of compensation from The Reds.

"He has been negotiating with Liverpool for the past six months," said Sevilla sporting director Ramon Rodriguez.

"The Fifa rules regarding young players who do not have professional contracts have favoured us on many occasions and this time it is Liverpool who have taken advantage of them to take the player.

"We tried to keep him, but the player has freely chosen another route. We have looked after him, but he has decided to leave Sevilla."

Sevilla have a good record in producing young talent, with Jose Antonio Reyes the biggest name to flourish when swapping Spain for Arsenal.

Benitez has not been scared of using his knowledge of the Spanish game to add new faces to his Liverpool squad, and Barragan may be just the first of a busy summer of spending for the Merseysiders.

The Reds will need all the fresh legs they can get, and quickly, with a packed season ahead of them starting as early as mid-July with the first qualifying rounds in the defence of the UEFA Champions League crown.

Benitez has spotted the potential of the well-thought of Barragan and he will add more depth to Liverpool's squad when he moves to Anfield"

• Advertisement

according to football 365 he's a full back, which could be very handy for us!

~Rebel~ wrote:
    according to football 365 he's a full back, which could be very handy for us!

but not in the sense that it mite get rid of Djimi cos he is a right full back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

Must mean Miguel is off the shopping list.

Nice one! Liverpool draw TNS, so sorted for the 1st round, no long travels, just a 2 hour coach ride!

source; http://www.football365.com/teams/liverpool/story_155509.shtml
    Holders Liverpool face a short trip to Wales after being drawn against Total Network Solutions in the first qualifying round of the Champions League.

It means the Reds' season starts in just over a fortnight as the first leg is scheduled for July 12 or 13 at home, with the return played July 19 or 20.

Rafael Benitez's side missed out on a place in the elite club competition after finishing fifth in the Barclays Premiership last season but were given special dispensation by UEFA to enter after their stunning victory on penalties over AC Milan in last month's final in Istanbul.

However, because England already had the maximum four representatives - and the Premier League and Football Association were unwilling to relegate Merseyside rivals Everton to the UEFA Cup - European football's governing body were faced with a difficult situation of starting this year's competition without the defending champions.

They decided to make an exception and give Liverpool a place but stressed they must start at the first qualifying round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

TNS? Haha, who woulda thunk it.

Glad to see Rafa bringing in some young players to bolster the reserve/youth teams, they badly need a boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

yom 1 wrote:
    but not in the sense that it mite get rid of Djimi cos he is a right full back
    In all fairness the lad is just 18. Did not even start a match for Seville. I don't think he'll be knocking anyone out of the team for a while.

That was the draw every 1 wanted even TNS they'll move the away leg to the Millennium stadium.

*edit/ ah crap just read on the www.liverpoolfc.tv that TNS are thinking of playing the game in wrexham there goes my plan for a trip to cardif and the flight was only €43.50 dam it.

The kid from sevilla will take a while to settle but you never know he good be a good player

They'll be dancing in the streets of total network solution if they get a result against Liverpool :D

Whoever that company Total Network Solutions are, they must be absolutly delighted for backing a football team - just look at the coverage they're getting! Id imagine the games will be televised nationwide and highly watched and all. Great advertising for them.

according to there web site www.tns.co.uk

The Total Network Solutions Group
    The Total Network Solutions Group is a dynamic provider of voice and data solutions and services.

They couldnt get this much coverage even if they paid for it :rolleyes: .

the team site is http://www.saints-alive.co.uk/index.php

They seem more happy to have drawn the pool than we do.

It says that wrexham only holds 10,000 so a move to the mellennium stadium is still possible so i might get a trip to cardif after all :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement