Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

I don't see what the problem is - he's sold Josemi and bought a player who can apparently play right-back and right-midfield (and by all accounts is a better option than Josemi). He's buying Agger because he needs cover for centre back - if Hyppia or Carragher were to get injured tomorrow Liverpool would be screwed. Benitez' success at Valencia was built first and foremost on a strong defence and he won the league in his first season based on this (scored 51 & conceded 27). The second time he won the league Valencia were out scored by only Real Madrid and by one single goal at that (Valencia scored 72 & conceded 27, Madrid scored 71 & conceded 54). As long as he buys a decent right winger I'll be more than happy with this transfer window (based on how things have been going over the last two months results-wise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

the latest rumour is that Man Utd are after simao as well. I hope he comes to us though and give us a bit a balance on the right.

Is daniel agger really that good, 5.5 million is a bit pricey for someone not tested in the top divison. Ok he played in the team that hammered england in the summer but we all know how england treat their friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

galwaydude wrote:
    the latest rumour is that Man Utd are after simao as well.
    very late :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

galwaydude wrote:
    Is daniel agger really that good, 5.5 million is a bit pricey for someone not tested in the top divison. Ok he played in the team that hammered england in the summer but we all know how england treat their friendlies.
    I've been assured by my Danish pals, that Agger is indeed good, coming from a long line of good Danish defenders, but he is also good at going forward. One of my pals is follower of Brondby and says this is the best move, as he also supports Liverpool, he said he is losing the best Brondby player, but going to his other fave club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

redspider wrote:
    Arguably, and I know that I've bleated on about it on many occasions, Liverpool's weak spot is the strike force, whether that is a wide attacking midfielder (left or right) and/or a central striker. Those areas I would think should be a priority rather than strengthening at the back with the Josemi/Kromkamp swap and bringing in Agger. A good defence is important though.
    redspider

You dont think we need cover for Carra and Sami?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

You dont think we need cover for Carra and Sami?

Yes, we do need cover, but the defence has been Liverpool's strongest facet this season and its more than cover that we need in the attack! Its all down to priorities. Getting a good striker is not easy, I realise, and replacing Josemi is good business, but I think Liverpool could do with a good striker, as was the case 6 months ago and arguably since Owen left.

Btw, Josemi was Rafa's first signing for Liverpool, and now 18 mths later he is out the door! His words then were:

"Josemi has signed. I know this player and he is good in defence, good in the air and can make this team stronger," said the ex-Valencia coach.

"For me it is important that we have good players and it does not matter what nationality they are."

"Perhaps I know the Spanish market better than others but we have good scouts all around the world so if good players become available then we will sign them." Josemi can play at right-back and in the centre of the defence.

Signing players of good quality is a hap-hazard business. Rafa's approach seems to be to take a chance on players and see, rather than buying those with proven quality.

Lets see who comes in before the end of the window. Btw, when does it close, is it near Jan 26th or something?

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

redspider wrote:
    Btw, when does it close, is it near Jan 26th or something?

redspider
    23:59 on the 31st

p.pete wrote:
    In terms of the money spent already, what money is that? I haven't heard any fee for Kromkamp so I'm of the hope that it's a straight swap (which is excellent business).

The Kromkamp/Josemi deal does seem to be a good bit of business. Its a straight swap so no cash exchange has taken place.

Villareal signed Kromkamp for 6m euro in August 2005 on a 4 year deal. His value after several months cant have gone down by that match, lets say 4m at the minimum.

Josemi was signed for 2m ukp (about 3m eur) in Jul 2004, also on a 4 year deal. His value a year and a half later would be about 1m eur. So in terms of values, thats about a net gain of 3m eur to Liverpool.

I'd say Liverpool probably have to increase their wage spend, as Kromkamp's salary over the next 4 years is probably more than Josemi's would have been, maybe 10k-20k per week. So over 4 years thats a diffrerence of 2-4m stg (3-6m eur) additional spend.

Overall, probably a neutral deal for both clubs where both managers expect the players to perform better in their new leagues/countries.

A sound deal all round it seems. I just hope that Kromkamp is not injury prone or something, that would be the only hidden factor.

redspider

ps: thanks Lex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

redspider wrote:
    Signing players of good quality is a hap-hazard business. Rafa's approach seems to be to take a chance on players and see, rather than buying those with proven quality.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Josemi's problem settling in was away from football (language difficulties). This is hardly something Rafa could have foreseen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

To be honest, (and I don't see how this is not blatantly obvious) getting cover for the back was Liverpool's main priority. Sure the wing positions need to be sorted and in some people's opinion, so do the striking options. But the difference is, had one of the strikers been injured we had capable cover, same in midfield. But if Carra or Hyppia had of gone... who would be covering them? Traore? Sissoko? One of the u20's?

Rafa hasn't put a foot wrong so far. Stop complaining that he's not doing things your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yes, as well as the language, Josemi's family hadn't settled in well. I wish him all the best. When called on he did a decent job at RB for Liverpool.

If Carragher/Hyypia got injured then Traore wouldve been first in line to provide backup. It doesn't bare thinking about. Now we have cover in Kromkamp and (hopefully) Agger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

PiE wrote:
    To be honest, (and I don't see how this is not blatantly obvious) getting cover for the back was Liverpool's main priority. Sure the wing positions need to be sorted and in some people's opinion, so do the striking options. But the difference is, had one of the strikers been injured we had capable cover, same in midfield. But if Carra or Hyppia had of gone... who would be covering them? Traore? Sissoko? One of the u20's?

Rafa hasn't put a foot wrong so far. Stop complaining that he's not doing things your way.

spot on.

redspider wrote:
    I don't think Rafa (or indeed most managers) would ever go for a player they didn't think would be quality. You're perhaps referring to the really, really big names? the Owens, the Henrys, the Morientess...

I'm not sure how true that is tbh. We got Morientes and we were all delighted, we're not delighted now because he hasn't performed as we hoped and I think people at this stage are either hoping he'll start proving class soon or else we'll get someone else in. We all know why Owen wasn't coming back (Freddy Sheppards comments still bemuse me :)).

He put the money out for Alonso, not the kind of money that would suggest that he wanted to just "take a chance" and yet most of us were scratching our heads. In the past ten or fifteen years Liverpool have bought so many huge names that haven't performed that I'm inclined not to be too bothered if all we've got so far is an Agger (soon?) and a Kromkamp. Personally I'm saying who are they in my best scouse accent but I've huge trust in the manager at the moment.

Also I remember an interview with Rafa two or three months ago regarding squad building. He talked about how it's easier to sort out the defence first, but it takes a bit longer to get the right forward players in - common sense really as you need the right attacking mix, patience is needed for the right players. If I can track down the article I'll edit this later.

For the record, I agree with you redspider, there's definitely something wrong with our attack line though I'm not sure what. My guess is it's the wide right position that's holding us back - say if we're getting nowhere attacking a team down the left or centre, it's rare that we threaten down the right. Being able to attack teams in different ways and from different starting positions is hugely important. Also the quality of our front men will appear different when the supply to them is altered, so the same player with a different supply can turn into a completely different manner of beast. my 2 cent anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

p.pete wrote:
    IHe put the money out for Alonso, not the kind of money that would suggest that he wanted to just "take a chance" and yet most of us were scratching our heads.

I think anyone that watched Spanish footie on a regular basis knew about Alonso. I remember when he was buying him I said he was class and alot of people where just thinking it was a good deal because Madrid came in for him at the end because he cant be useless if Madrid are going after him. What Liverpool fans havent seen yet is the best of him. He was playing about the same now for Liverpool as he was in Spain. Took time to settle and then the injury. Wait till end of this season/next season and you will see how class a player he is.

Big Nelly wrote:
    I think anyone that watched Spanish footie on a regular basis knew about Alonso. I remember when he was buying him I said he was class and alot of people where just thinking it was a good deal because Madrid came in for him at the end because he cant be useless if Madrid are going after him. What Liverpool fans havent seen yet is the best of him. He was playing about the same now for Liverpool as he was in Spain. Took time to settle and then the injury. Wait till end of this season/next season and you will see how class a player he is.
    Rafa brought Spanish football to me :) Regarding Alonso I'm not quite trying to say that nobody had heard of him, I'm more trying to say Rafa is willing to spend big money on the players that he thinks are good - just patience is needed to get them, or somefink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hearts are shopping in the Liverpool discount bin!

from Daily Record.
    Hearts boss Graham Rix passed press conference duties yesterday to assistant John McGlynn, who admitted the club's move for Liverpool midfielder Darren Potter still has a way to go.

It was believed Hearts had struck a £750,000 deal with the Premiership club and as Record Sport revealed they are also chasing strikers Neil Mellor and Anthony Le Tallec, as well as academy midfielder Francis Smith.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

sell the lot of them tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

el rabitos wrote:
    sell the lot of them tbh
    I agree, but who would want to go to hearts? A bit of a step down.

I agree, but who would want to go to hearts? A bit of a step down.

i dunno man, they're a more attractive team these days than they were a couple of seasons ago.

the sunday times are saying traore is on their wanted list aswell :) SELL SELL

potter would be the only one i'd be sad to see leave, but tbh i dont think he has the size needed to have much of an impact on games, he needs to bulk up and make more of an impact on games when he's given an opportunity.

if pool could sell the lot of them and get 4 mill i'd be happy

Hearts should be in Europe next season thats attractive for the likes of Potter, Le Tallac they wont get many games at Pool.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

champions league aswell probaly. Very good move for those lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I could see Mellor scoring a lot up there. Le Tallec seems to have a bad attitude though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah it's a pity with Le Tallec, I really think he has the talent to make an impact if he could sort his attitude out. I'd be sorry to see Mellor go too TBH.

funniest thing i've seen in ages? Steve G slipping while being interviewed after the game! How I laughed! And laughed! and then laughed some more! And then burst my gut laughing when he says 'I hope that wasn't on tv!'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D:D:D:D:D

Wrong thread.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Get rid of all those kids, Mellor, Raven, Potter, Whitbread- release them if no clubs come in, there's not a hope of any of them making it.

Potter in particular is a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I like mellor, scored my goal of the season 04 - 05 against arsenal, he's been injured... cant see him going.

Mellor of the lot is gone, the only reason he'll stay through till the end of the season is because he's nowhere near fit enough to attract attention from other clubs.

He forever will be remembered for the goal against Arsenal, a game he only got a run in because there was nobody else to play.

Even if he was fit he wouldn't get anywhere near the first team

What are you talking about him being fit, he only played his first reserve game a few weeks ago after a long injury stint..:confused:

• Advertisement

Mellor was given a four year contract which he signed in January 2003.

1st team games: 21
    1st team goals: 6

Yup will be one of liverpools worst mistakes to sell this kid....

What are you talking about him being fit, he only played his first reserve game a few weeks ago after a long injury stint..:confused:

Point I was making was that if he was fit, which I realise he's not, then there might be some hoping of offloading him in the Jan window. My argument was that he's only going to be at the club till the end of the year because he hasn't been playing and thus won't attract attention. I also find it hard to consider that, if he were fit, that he'd get anywhere near the first team.
    Mellor was given a four year contract which he signed in January 2003.

1st team games: 21
    1st team goals: 6

Doesn't mean anything, statistically Robbie Fowler is England greatest international goalscorer, Stephen Wright, Richie Partridge, David Thompson and endless others signed significant contracts under Houllier, doesn't mean they were any good

I know what you mean about getting a first team place, but he is a very good player, I wouldnt like to see him out esp if either of the lads get injured, ie alonso and gerrard. So I seriously hope he isnt offloaded, he proved himself on the pitch in many matches for the pool, I don't know how you came to the conclusion that liverpool would want to offload such a young and gifted player, Dosent make sense TBH. How else is a player judged other than on statistics and good performances.???

mike65 wrote:
    Wrong thread.

Mike.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I know what you mean about getting a first team place, but he is a very good player, I wouldnt like to see him out esp if either of the lads get injured, ie alonso and gerrard. So I seriously hope he isnt offloaded, he proved himself on the pitch in many matches for the pool, I don't know how you came to the conclusion that liverpool would want to offload such a young and gifted player, Dosent make sense TBH. How else is a player judged other than on statistics and good performances.???

eh, usually reserve team performances and training. If he was so good, surely other premiership clubs would be after him. Only club i heard who wanted him in the summer was sheffield united.

If rafa said he isnt good enough, i'd agree with rafa. Look at partridge, majority of this board slated rafa for not picking him and then selling him, Where is he now?

sheefield wednesday, is he even getting his game for them now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

pretty sure he is getting his game, where did u hear the board slated rafa for not playing him and slating him? Ged never played him either... but i agree if you havent broken into the side by 22/23 you should be moved on.

• Advertisement

He has his contract extended at Wednesday till the end of the season. He hasn't made much of an inroad into their first team though.

He'll be forever remembered as the bloke who married Michael Owen's sister. Pity though, he showed great promise, should have left Liverpool earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Call_me_al wrote:
    pretty sure he is getting his game, where did u hear the board slated rafa for not playing him and slating him?

This board, not the board.

Bronby expected to confirm Daniel Agger's move to the Copenhagen Stock Exchange in the morning.

I hope he's not coming in for anything over 5.5mill. I'm sure raffa knows what he's doing.

PiE wrote:
    This board, not the board.

ah sorry!!! but i would have loved to have seen him get more of a chance but the time he needed it was under ged and not rafa, but i think everyone thought when rafa came in he would see he was great and being overlooked and given his chance. he should have left earlier but it didnt happen, one day we could see him in the pl, hopefully, maybe even an ireland shirt?!?

• Advertisement

damienom wrote:
    Bronby expected to confirm Daniel Agger's move to the Copenhagen Stock Exchange in the morning.

That is fantastic news. I truly believe this player has a very bright future...but then I see this...According to Ekstra Bladet (Danish tabloid), Brondby has raised the price for Agger to 10M euro (almost £7M).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I like mellor, scored my goal of the season 04 - 05 against arsenal, he's been injured... cant see him going.

I really like Mellor, think he could do really well , even just as a squad player. He's never going to be Ian Rush, but watching him last season I was really impressed with his all round play ( wasnt everyone saying how much crouch was contributing to the team when he wasnt scoring? same thing)

My best memry o him so far isnt a goal but his knock down for the Olympiakos goal that Gerrard gets such praise for. He meant it too. He looks a good little poacher (see his goal from the same game). Maybe he could be turned into an Ole solskjear supersub type player?
    Call_me_al wrote:
    but i agree if you havent broken into the side by 22/23 you should be moved on.

Tell that to John Aldridge.:)

Call_me_al wrote:
    i would have loved to have seen him get more of a chance but the time he needed it was under ged and not rafa, but i think everyone thought when rafa came in he would see he was great and being overlooked and given his chance. he should have left earlier but it didnt happen, one day we could see him in the pl, hopefully, maybe even an ireland shirt?!?

I would like to see Mellor given another chance under Benitez. He was offloaded on a loan because essentially Benitez and the board wanted to save costs and Benitez/Board wanted players to be given a chance to develop.

Loaning out players is a good tactic for the short-term as long as the players get their games, so good news for Kirlkland, Le Tallec, and Mellor. But at some point the club must decide to either bring them back into the fold and see if they will work out or else sell them on. As Mellor is now on loan to the end of the season, then Benitez will only bring him back in if he is aboslutely brilliant on the pitch. At the end of the day, he is playing for his career at Liverpool in each match that he plays now. So is Kirkland and Le Tallec, which is maybe why all 3 players seem to be trying very hard.

At the end of the season, barring injury and presuming he gets his games and reasonable supply, his goalscoring record will determine if he should be retained or sold.

redpsider

ps: Can you change your sig? It makes me nauseous and surely there are some limits on obscenity that even boards.ie should limit ! Mods, there?

Stekelly wrote:
    Tell that to John Aldridge.:)

You could also bring up players like ian wright, but i think the game has changed in terms of bringing players through and cases like these prob wont happen much again.

also le tallec gets a hard time, he is a good player and to be loaned out at sunderland who are doing miserably and not to be consistently starting must be terrible for his confidence, he has scored a few for them and i dont see why he doesnt play more regularly. kirkland is gonna find it tough to get back into the top 3 goalies although i having not seen the whole game against luton, carson seems to have a LOT to learn and made one or two mistakes for the goals, so kirkland may have a chance after all. and also when dudek leaves it will help him.

Kirkland has already said he doesn't reckon he'll be playing for Liverpool again. Hopefully we cash in on Dudek and I'd like to see Kirkland as the number 2 ahead of Carson, I agree he's quite a bit to learn yet.

Brondby look keen to increase the price for Agger, 5.5mil up to 7mil. They're claiming that there's several other clubs interested. This kind of crap could start to get a bit annoying...

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=16562891%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=brondby%2d%2dliverpool%2drivals%2din%2dfor%2dagger-name_page.html

p.pete wrote:
    I'd like to see Kirkland as the number 2 ahead of Carson,

Kirkland is too injury prone. simple as. He will be gone by start of next season.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This seems like the right thread to post this on.I have a Yahoo group for Irish Liverpool fans with over 300 members some of you are members and post a far bit.The community has outgrowing Yahoo and I have setup a stand alone message board for Irish Liverpool fans.Check it out if you are interested.

http://s15.invisionfree.com/Irish_Kop/index.php?act=idx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I've no time for for Kirkland, the plank stood behind the f-ing wall against Villa and Olympiakos with similar consequences, they scored. Hes a big lump that gets injured cracking open a boiled egg FFS. Because he is English hes hyped up, hes useless if you ask me.

I've no time for for Kirkland, the plank stood behind the f-ing wall against Villa and Olympiakos with similar consequences, they scored. Hes a big lump that gets injured cracking open a boiled egg FFS. Because he is English hes hyped up, hes useless if you ask me.

agreed. i never thought much of him. he's a good shot stoppper, but average in every other aspect, if your playing second fiddle to dudek, then u know ur not up to much.

he's also damn ugly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Over 2000 Replies, good job lads.

Any word on a right winger? Kromkamp looked out of sorts on saturday

Technically this is the 2000th reply :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement